planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:39 pm 

Good evening all,

Two pronged attack with this thread I'm afraid.

Firstly we all know the business side of F1 is highly complicated and is a big reason which causes many teams to fold or pull out. It got me thinking is F1 in the years since the financial crash as rich with sponsorship as it once was in yesteryear? Yes, we all know that the banning of Tobacco hit some of the F1 teams hard with no more Marlboro, West or Camel however looking at the cars of recent years & teamwear looking threadbare of sponsorship these days with vast space available. Whilst the top teams at present (Mercedes, Ferrari) are not struggling with sponsorship deals, many of the other teams appear to be so e.g. Mclaren, Haas, Sauber all with significant spacing on their cars available. The number of teams without a title sponsor seems to be nearly half the field, of the top of my head there are: McLaren, Red Bull (albeit rumoured to be linking up with Aston Martti), Haas, Toro Rosso, Renault, Sauber.

With the above in mind, is sponsorship in F1 not as appealing as it once was to many markets or businesses? I mean you only have to look at some of the deals in place currently that whilst many are established brands they are not what the majority of the public would call household names. Or is this a case of the teams pricing themselves out of many deals much like Ron did with him not reducing the McLaren ratecard whilst not as competitive as they once were. The exception to this rule bar the big two just named seems to be Force India with their car being covered in what seems to be dozens of different brand names.

The second point to the article is in regards to the teams engineers. Whilst the majority of fans are aware of the big names (Newey, Lowe, Allison to name a few) many are not aware of the rest of the engineers within a team, myself included. Therefore firstly who are the key engineers to each team at present? And secondly with the amount of engineers who are at each team these days how often are engineers swapping teams, is there a high number of engineers swapping teams throughout the year or at the end of the season or is it a case only a handful or so of engineers are on the move each year?