20. Pascal Wehrein 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 190
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 am 

For me,

Verstappen, Vettel & Perez

Honourable mention to Gasly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:38 am 

The 3 V's - Verstappen, Vettel* & Vandoorne

*Pending another look at what the hell went on after the flag!

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 am 

mcdo wrote:

I too am going with mds's boys - the three V's :thumbup:
Went to the toilet after the chequered flag to return to the sight of Vettel's Ferrari being... that! 8O

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:44 am 

Vandoorne, Verstappen and Vettel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:45 am 

I think Lewis's mega lap yesterday has disguised the fact that the Mercedes was nowhere this weekend. My three, Max, Seb and Lewis.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:47 am 

Covalent wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Think I'm going to do the same :)

Honorable mention for Gasly too. Kept his nose clean, good racing, good pace. Good things to come from the guy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:51 am 

Max, Stoffel and Pièrre. With an honourable mention for Pascal the taxi driver. :D

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:55 am 

At the chequered flag my vote would have been:

Vettel
Verstappen, Vandoorne, Hamilton

But I can't overlook that post race incident, it was brain dead. And it's such a shame, because Vettel had driven so well in the race - but 2017 is exposing very clear temperament and mind management issues he has.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:56 am 

Laz_T800 wrote:
I think Lewis's mega lap yesterday has disguised the fact that the Mercedes was nowhere this weekend. My three, Max, Seb and Lewis.

I'm inclined to agree - in that order.

Lewis loses marks for being tame in his defence from Max despite his derating issue. His pace was good and he had the measure of Ricciardo who was driving the faster race car for the weekend. Verstappen looked in Ham's league and pulled off a confident move for the lead. Vettel had a clean and effective comeback race and in different circumstances would have probably raced Verstappen for the win and perhaps had the even faster race car.

Ricc's race pace wasn't on the level of those three and as for Bottas...

Vandoorne did a fine job.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:00 am 

Invade wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:

Lewis loses marks for being tame in his defence from Max despite his derating issue. His pace was good and he had the measure of Ricciardo who was driving the faster race car for the weekend. Verstappen looked in Ham's league and pulled off a confident move for the lead. Vettel had a clean and effective comeback race and in different circumstances would have probably raced Verstappen for the win and perhaps had the even faster race car.

BIB: Vettel got slated last week because of his robust defence of Max, which many felt was not worth the risk. I din't see the Max overtake but I think it may be a bit harsh to blame Lewis when he may well have been thinking of his title?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:03 am 

Zoue wrote:
Invade wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:

BIB: Vettel got slated last week because of his robust defence of Max, which many felt was not worth the risk. I din't see the Max overtake but I think it may be a bit harsh to blame Lewis when he may well have been thinking of his title?

As a general point: Vettel has taken more risks than Hamilton this year and been the flashier and more fiesty racer, so he may have made more critical errors or had more dubious incidents (bad luck also involved) but he's also had the more impressive moments. Lewis has been safe, steady but very fast.

I understand why Lewis was a touch tame and he admitted the reason clearly - he and Max both made mention of it. I don't blame him and think it was a smart move but nonetheless an effective and successful defence would have been purely more impressive to me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:05 am 

Verstappen, Vandoorne

I feel for Räikkönen. It would have been an easy win given the massive superiority of Ferrari here.

Stroll and Vettel - just speechlesss ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:21 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Vettel

But I can't overlook that post race incident, it was brain dead. And it's such a shame, because Vettel had driven so well in the race - but 2017 is exposing very clear temperament and mind management issues he has.

https://streamable.com/uf1hj

Vettel follows the corner, indicating Stroll probably steered outwards.

Vettel's race was a prime example of mental fortitude not weakness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:33 am 

mds wrote:
Covalent wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Think I'm going to do the same :)

Honorable mention for Gasly too. Kept his nose clean, good racing, good pace. Good things to come from the guy.

Yep this.

Honourable mention to Lewis, obviously Mercedes struggled a bit and he was flawless and he did the smart thing with Max and pocket the points.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:37 am 

I voted for Vettel for his superb comeback from last place. Very tempted to pick Vandoorne though.

Hamilton did very well to get 2nd in what seemed to be the third fastest car this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

:thumbdown: Well excuse me for saying it, but it appears you'd certainly have to be an expert on mental issues if ya really believe this bovine excrement you are shoveling........

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:32 am 

Verstappen, Vandoorne and Hamilton

Verstappen was flawless, Vandoorne put in an Alonso like drive to maximise the result that the car was capable of, and Hamilton for making pretty much the best of a Mercedes that was the 3rd fastest car on the day.

Didn't think Vettel's recovery drive was all that amazing to be honest, especially with the pace differential, Struggled behind Alonso when in 11th for far too long, got held up by Bottas who was ruinously slow and then only really had 1 proper attempt on Dan despite being right on him for several laps. What happened post race, and his reaction to it, makes me think that the pressure is beginning to tell on Vettel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:34 am 

Just thought about something. Verstappen has had no more podiums this season than Stroll until now. Never thought I could say this! It does show how much bad luck he's had though as I am sure he'll have had several by now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:23 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Vettel

I think you are extrapolating an awful lot from this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:30 am 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Verstappen, Vandoorne and Hamilton

Verstappen was flawless, Vandoorne put in an Alonso like drive to maximise the result that the car was capable of, and Hamilton for making pretty much the best of a Mercedes that was the 3rd fastest car on the day.

Didn't think Vettel's recovery drive was all that amazing to be honest, especially with the pace differential, Struggled behind Alonso when in 11th for far too long, got held up by Bottas who was ruinously slow and then only really had 1 proper attempt on Dan despite being right on him for several laps. What happened post race, and his reaction to it, makes me think that the pressure is beginning to tell on Vettel.

Yep, Vettel did exactly what was expected. Hardly exceptional and in some places, very very average. Whining about Bottas post race was embarrassing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:35 am 

mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Vettel

I think you over look the fact that you are not supposed to overtake after the chequered flag so any measure of blame has to go to Vettel.

Vettel's explanation is a bit baffling when he says that he was driving to the outside of the track to pick up the loose rubber when at that moment Stroll did the same thing and hit his car, he totally misses out the fact that Stroll was the car in front and is not expecting cars to be coming passed him.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:39 am 

Voted for Verstappen, Hamilton and Vettel.

Verstappen of course had supreme pace and overtook Lewis so easily at the start and never looked back. A deserved win after all the troubles this year.
Lewis for actually driving a solid race and still beating the faster Ricciardo.
Vettel for the way he moved up the field unscathed, (thankfully for him the inlap incident doesn't count in my book)

Other noteworthy drives were Vandoorne, Perez, Stroll.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:40 am 

Vettel by a mile, race off the year, Verstappen for the overtake of a Merc, hasn't happened a lot for the last 4 years

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:12 pm 

Trust the Hamilton fans to throw a vote his way.

Lewis did nothing today to deserve to be a driver of the day. He got passed (easily) by Verstappen, then spent the whole race losing time to Ricciardo.

If the Red Bull team had pulled Ricciardo in earlier Hamilton would have been third.

Verstappen was easily driver of the day. Vandoorne did well (finally) and Vettel drove a strong, clean race (until the cool-down lap!?).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:15 pm 

oz_karter wrote:
Trust the Hamilton fans to throw a vote his way.

Lewis did nothing today to deserve to be a driver of the day. He got passed (easily) by Verstappen, then spent the whole race losing time to Ricciardo.

If the Red Bull team had pulled Ricciardo in earlier Hamilton would have been third.

Verstappen was easily driver of the day. Vandoorne did well (finally) and Vettel drove a strong, clean race (until the cool-down lap!?).

I think you could discount him on grounds of giving the easy pass for Verstappen, but we seem to be in this alternate universe were Hamilton didn't have the third best car.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:15 pm 

I chose Perez as 1 of my 3 drivers of the day because he was suffering from a stomach infection throughout the weekend & was even pondering to not race. I read somewhere he took an IV drip after qualy even. Getting a P6 in such a condition & being the only car not belonging to the top 3 teams not to be lapped by the lead driver is a great drive in my books.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/10/01/perez-thanks-doctors-after-finishing-sixth-despite-stomach-infection/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:26 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Vettel

I think you over look the fact that you are not supposed to overtake after the chequered flag

That's something you invented today. There are no rules against it and in EVERY race in EVERY single class of motor racing you see drivers driving by others.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:29 pm 

AnRs wrote:
Vettel by a mile, race off the year,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Herb Tarlik on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:30 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Yep, Vettel did exactly what was expected. Hardly exceptional and in some places, very very average. Whining about Bottas post race was embarrassing.

I don't think anyone really expected him to end up in fourth in front of Bottas. He had a clean race, he was up in thirteenth after just one lap, his pace was exceptional given the fact he had to manage an overtaking race from the back.

This must proves some will go to great lengths go dismiss drivers they don't line. Let's be honest here, if Hamilton had done this you'd be adding it to your reasons why Hamilton is the best on the grid.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:32 pm 

mds wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

I don't think anyone really expected him to end up in fourth in front of Bottas. He had a clean race, he was up in thirteenth after just one lap, his pace was exceptional given the fact he had to manage an overtaking race from the back.

This must proves some will go to great lengths go dismiss drivers they don't line. Let's be honest here, if Hamilton had done this you'd be adding it to your reasons why Hamilton is the best on the grid.

Wrong. I would not say Hamilton was best if he did was Vettel did today. Bottas is just as feckless as Kimi is so passing him is unexceptional. Vettel made zero passes against cars in his class so he did exactly what was expected.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:37 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
mds wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Wrong. I would not say Hamilton was best if he did was Vettel did today. Bottas is just as feckless as Kimi is so passing him is unexceptional. Vettel made zero passes against cars in his class so he did exactly what was expected.

You are embarassing yourself, give credit where it's due

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:50 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
I chose Perez as 1 of my 3 drivers of the day because he was suffering from a stomach infection throughout the weekend & was even pondering to not race. I read somewhere he took an IV drip after qualy even. Getting a P6 in such a condition & being the only car not belonging to the top 3 teams not to be lapped by the lead driver is a great drive in my books.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/10/01/perez-thanks-doctors-after-finishing-sixth-despite-stomach-infection/

Whereas I would discount Perez on the grounds of taking out his teammate yet again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:53 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Whereas I would discount Perez on the grounds of taking out his teammate yet again.

Ocon blames Massa though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:55 pm 

mds wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

40% of the forum expected him to be 4th according to the poll on this very subject pre race. Had Hamilton been in that position with the same car advantage, i'd have been expecting the 2nd place that Vettel would have had, if he had dealt with Alonso and Bottas that he should have done. I'll give him some leeway with Ricciardo, cos it sounds like by the time he got to him, his engine was running very hot and the tyres were probably on the way out, but that would have been much less of a factor had he not lost time behind Alonso and Bottas. If he gets Dan earlier, Lewis is there for the taking, especially at the rate he was catching him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:56 pm 

mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Vettel

I think you over look the fact that you are not supposed to overtake after the chequered flag

That's something you invented today. There are no rules against it and in EVERY race in EVERY single class of motor racing you see drivers driving by others.

I think it's more a case of etiquette, a driver doesn't necessarily expect a driver to pass him after the chequered flag which is basically what Stroll said that he didn't expect a car to be coming past him, when I raced in karts such a thing was frowned upon, you kept position after the flag, I didn't say that Vettel broke a rule as such.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:59 pm 

mds wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

From experience what would be said is that Hamilton had a rocket ship like we what we saw when he got pole position the day before, or words to that affect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:00 pm 

AnRs wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
mds wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

You are embarassing yourself, give credit where it's due

Like you give credit to Hamilton?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:15 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Vettel

I think it's more a case of etiquette, a driver doesn't necessarily expect a driver to pass him after the chequered flag which is basically what Stroll said that he didn't expect a car to be coming past him, when I raced in karts such a thing was frowned upon, you kept position after the flag, I didn't say that Vettel broke a rule as such.

Every racer should expect that as in every race in every possible class of racing this happens very very very frequently.

That there is such etiquette in amateur karting sessions is meaningless.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:32 pm 

mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:

Every racer should expect that as in every race in every possible class of racing this happens very very very frequently.

That there is such etiquette in amateur karting sessions is meaningless.

Well it's more incumbent that you have to do it.

I remember Marc Marquez crashing into an opponent after the chequered flag in Moto2 after a practice session the rider had slowed down and Marquez hadn't and he piled into him putting the rider into hospital, he was made to start the race from the back of the grid.

I think that generally rules are applied if there is seen to be a safety issue and I guess they rule that it's safe enough for cars to be passing one another after the race has finished.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:55 pm 

pokerman wrote:
I guess they rule that it's safe enough for cars to be passing one another after the race has finished.

Exactly, so why slam Vettel for something so trivial and ubiquitous as a driver passing another driver at slow speeds on a cooldown lap?