planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1618
As we know, last weekend was the final race for F1 in Malaysia. I'm sorry to see it go as the track to me is interesting. The races typically are not glorified parades and the weather can often throw in some serious variations. The very first race there had some amazing downpours if my memory is right.

The Wall Street Journal did an article about F1 losing its race in Malaysia. Some of the facts are quite interesting.

Attendance needed just to break even was 100,000 fans in the seats. Last year only 83,000 showed up for the race. This year attendance was boosted significantly with discounted tickets and it reached 110,000 fans. No money was made on Sunday by race organizers.

"F1 was a great product; now, it is not as good", Razlan Razali- Chief of Sepang International Circuit.

Attendance at Sepang's MotoGP event: 162,000 fans. "We pay less for MotoGP, and I think the exposure the country gets is more or less the same as F1".

The journal also reported, "Attendance is also down across other Asian markets". I know that is true in Shanghai, as several of the grandstands near the start of the back straight are not even opened anymore. Those grandstands, instead of holding 30,000 or more fans, have been mothballed.

Korea came and went, and so did India.

If the product cant bring fans into the seats, the organizers can't make any money. China gets a massive subsidy from the government, that's for sure.

Malaysian fans clearly love racing, with so many turning out for MotoGP.

Why have they and others walked away from Formula One?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6769
There was a list of hosting fees per circuit leaked not long ago, I can't find it now but someone else on here will link it no doubt. Malaysia's fee was extortionate, one of the highest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 105
Was it ever big in Malaysia? After the initial event I thought attendances dipped promptly.

Singapore is only 200miles down the road and a much better overal event and attracts load of foreign spectators.

The place is absoluteluy packed for motogp but there are Malaysians in the lower classes who get a major cheers. Biking is also much bigger over there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1618
Zazu wrote:
Was it ever big in Malaysia? After the initial event I thought attendances dipped promptly.

Singapore is only 200miles down the road and a much better overal event and attracts load of foreign spectators.

The place is absoluteluy packed for motogp but there are Malaysians in the lower classes who get a major cheers. Biking is also much bigger over there.


127,000 in 2008 showed up for the race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 1829
I was in KL not long before the Moto GP race a couple of years ago. The radio station was advertising tickets from about £10 if I recall correctly.

Two things.

1. You'd never get F1 tickets anywhere near that price. How most local people are going to afford an F1 ticket i dont know.

2. £10 tickets, yet still not sold out not long before the event. Perhaps the issue lies deeper than the price of a ticket.

_________________
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 2123
Out of all the modern Tilke-dromes Sepang is by far my favourite. One of the best overtaking tracks on the calendar and the weather often tends to liven things up a bit. It's odd though, I still think of it as a new track even though it's only been on the calendar 3 years less than Melbourne. Weird to think drivers like Damon, Johnny and Tora Takagi have raced on this track.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1618
Herb wrote:
I was in KL not long before the Moto GP race a couple of years ago. The radio station was advertising tickets from about £10 if I recall correctly.

Two things.

1. You'd never get F1 tickets anywhere near that price. How most local people are going to afford an F1 ticket i dont know.

2. £10 tickets, yet still not sold out not long before the event. Perhaps the issue lies deeper than the price of a ticket.


Are all the tickets that cheap or are those just general admission?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 1829
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Herb wrote:
I was in KL not long before the Moto GP race a couple of years ago. The radio station was advertising tickets from about £10 if I recall correctly.

Two things.

1. You'd never get F1 tickets anywhere near that price. How most local people are going to afford an F1 ticket i dont know.

2. £10 tickets, yet still not sold out not long before the event. Perhaps the issue lies deeper than the price of a ticket.


Are all the tickets that cheap or are those just general admission?


I assume it was just general admission. But memory is vague and it was just a radio advert.

_________________
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 am
Posts: 550
Location: Far North of Scotland
Sepang is probably my favourite Tilke track.

Sad to see it go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 105
Herb wrote:
I was in KL not long before the Moto GP race a couple of years ago. The radio station was advertising tickets from about £10 if I recall correctly.

Two things.

1. You'd never get F1 tickets anywhere near that price. How most local people are going to afford an F1 ticket i dont know.

2. £10 tickets, yet still not sold out not long before the event. Perhaps the issue lies deeper than the price of a ticket.



The F1 hillside tickets are $25 so not much more than the £10 MotoGP ones

MotoGP grandstand tickets are £50-60ish so cheaper than F1 but similar ball park. (using prices from F1 website)

I've been to the MotoGP and the grandstands are packed. The hillside sections are virtually limitless so wont sell out.


I think its a great venue for F1 and you can see loads of the track. Maybe the rain is a problem. Teams dont go out in practice unless its dry and F1 cars now rarely run in the wet. Plus there was the fiasco before the start time changed where the race was delayed for hours


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1618
Zazu wrote:
Herb wrote:
I was in KL not long before the Moto GP race a couple of years ago. The radio station was advertising tickets from about £10 if I recall correctly.

Two things.

1. You'd never get F1 tickets anywhere near that price. How most local people are going to afford an F1 ticket i dont know.

2. £10 tickets, yet still not sold out not long before the event. Perhaps the issue lies deeper than the price of a ticket.



The F1 hillside tickets are $25 so not much more than the £10 MotoGP ones

MotoGP grandstand tickets are £50-60ish so cheaper than F1 but similar ball park. (using prices from F1 website)

I've been to the MotoGP and the grandstands are packed. The hillside sections are virtually limitless so wont sell out.


I think its a great venue for F1 and you can see loads of the track. Maybe the rain is a problem. Teams dont go out in practice unless its dry and F1 cars now rarely run in the wet. Plus there was the fiasco before the start time changed where the race was delayed for hours


From this we can see clearly that F1 has some serious problems in Asia. Japan seems to consistently draw good crowds, and Singapore too, although just being in the middle of a downtown city makes attendance easy. Being uber wealthy also helps.

Sepang is a great track and it's going to be sorely missed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 623
Location: McKinney, TX
Sensational circuit, probably my favorite on the calendar. Loved the variety of corners, and the back and front straight the way they are adjacent. No ridiculous runoff anywhere, beautful, huge, gravel traps. Until recently, where they added some runoff, but not much.

Very, very sad to see it go.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:36 pm
Posts: 2247
Banana Man wrote:
Out of all the modern Tilke-dromes Sepang is by far my favourite. One of the best overtaking tracks on the calendar and the weather often tends to liven things up a bit. It's odd though, I still think of it as a new track even though it's only been on the calendar 3 years less than Melbourne. Weird to think drivers like Damon, Johnny and Tora Takagi have raced on this track.


True, during the race the commentator said something about Jos Verstappen running second there in an Arrows and my first thought was - don't talk nonsense!

_________________
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:33 am
Posts: 2824
ALESI wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Out of all the modern Tilke-dromes Sepang is by far my favourite. One of the best overtaking tracks on the calendar and the weather often tends to liven things up a bit. It's odd though, I still think of it as a new track even though it's only been on the calendar 3 years less than Melbourne. Weird to think drivers like Damon, Johnny and Tora Takagi have raced on this track.


True, during the race the commentator said something about Jos Verstappen running second there in an Arrows and my first thought was - don't talk nonsense!


2001 I think it was. Formula One's youtube account actually posted that race in its entirety about a week ago if you want to watch it for free.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 3 victories (USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 6 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:33 am
Posts: 2824
purchville wrote:
ALESI wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Out of all the modern Tilke-dromes Sepang is by far my favourite. One of the best overtaking tracks on the calendar and the weather often tends to liven things up a bit. It's odd though, I still think of it as a new track even though it's only been on the calendar 3 years less than Melbourne. Weird to think drivers like Damon, Johnny and Tora Takagi have raced on this track.


True, during the race the commentator said something about Jos Verstappen running second there in an Arrows and my first thought was - don't talk nonsense!


2001 I think it was. Formula One's youtube account actually posted that race in its entirety about a week ago if you want to watch it for free.


Here it is:


_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 3 victories (USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 6 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 1781
It's something that F1's management need to look at.

Given the crowds expected for MotoGP, there's clearly an appetite for motorsports, they need to try and understand why MotoGP is attractive where Formula One isn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group