planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:30 pm 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, October 4th, 2017
STATEMENT FROM AN NBC SPORTS SPOKESPERSON ON FORMULA ONE MEDIA RIGHTS

October 4, 2017

“Although we take great pride in having grown Formula One’s visibility and viewership since we became its exclusive U.S. media rights holder in 2013, this will be our last season with the series. In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners. We wish the new owners of F1 well.”

-NBC SPORTS GROUP-

Saw this tweet (a medium I ain't no good at and a newb to it) from Will Buxton: "Well folks, it’s been a blast. Who knows what the future holds. All I can say is that the last five years have been an honour and a joy."

Can anyone clarify what in the heck is going on with F1 pertaining to both Will Buxton and the announcement above with regard to who is taking their place broadcastingF1 in the US?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:46 pm 

This is the first I'm hearing of it so I don't have a clue... Yet will still offer some wild speculation. 8)

I can see a lot of shake up, not just here but worldwide, as Liberty starts trying to push more content directly to viewers online and open up more free to air broadcasting. Current broadcast rights holders aren't going to be happy about that because it takes advertising money out of their pockets and lowers their return on the investment they've made in buying those rights for their market.

In this specific case if Liberty were looking for the same sort of payment for the same length of time (~5 years) as the last contract with NBCSN while at the same time telling them that they're going to be offering an online package that isn't region blocked the network might've just said "Thanks, but no thanks."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:55 pm 

ESPN is replacing NBCSN for Formula One coverage in the USA. One company won a bid, the other did not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:03 pm 

What's old is new again.

I wonder who'll they have hosting. I really like Hobbs and Matchett. Diffey I can do without and while at first I was okay with Buxton lately on his grid walks he's seemed like a Chihuahua in need of a dose of Ritalin.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:06 pm 

Thanks, that Twitter thing has always been beyond my comprehension as I am not social media savy and only joined to say Hi to Bob Varsha as he joined Hobbo and Matchett @ Singapore. While trying to navigate how to ask Matchett about his Vettel steering wheel "big NO NO" in FIA rules comments from last week I found the above information which I knew nothing about at all........

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:10 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
What's old is new again.

I wonder who'll they have hosting. I really like Hobbs and Matchett. Diffey I can do without and while at first I was okay with Buxton lately on his grid walks he's seemed like a Chihuahua in need of a dose of Ritalin.

:thumbup: Fingers crossed here that Bob Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett will ALL be rejoined as like you Diffey never did it for me either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm 

F1nut wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
What's old is new again.

:thumbup: Fingers crossed here that Bob Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett will ALL be rejoined as like you Diffey never did it for me either.

BRING BACK BOB VARSHA!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:01 pm 

So this might be good or bad. ESPN is kind of hit or miss but it is a far more popular sports channel than NBCSN and I think the heightened exposure might be a big part of what's going on here behind the scenes. I think Liberty really want increased exposure for F1 in the US and having ESPN as the carrier is going to facilitate that. I know that ESPN apparently won out in a bidding contest but I think this is something Liberty want.

In terms of the broadcast team; I hate to say it but I'd scrap the current team completely if possible and get some people who have more relevant (and more recent) experience. I never much liked Diffy and Hobbs jumped the shark years ago. I have fond memories of David from back in the old days but he now mumbles jibberish 75% of the time when he speaks. Steve Matchet tends to repeat the exact same phrases every broadcast. It's really not a very good team at all.

They really need an ex F1 driver (not from so far back as Hobbs) that has some connection to the current teams and is more of an insider. The team we've had are clearly not that intimately involved in F1 and it shows when you look at them compared to the British team of Coulthard, Webber, Brundle, etc. We need at least one person like that as part of the team and then I would say that a better TV guy is needed too. Varsha wasn't bad but he was extremely boring and I just don't like Diffy. Of all of the team I suppose Steve is the one who might have the best case for staying on but I'd rather just start completely anew.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:33 pm 

nothing i can do about it, so i will wait and see what happens with the broadcast next year.
only thing i am wondering right now is, f1 is not a ratings bonanza in the states. college football, nfl, nba, etc are....so how much focus on f1 will there be ? i also do not have espn2, so if they push a broadcast there...i will not see it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:14 pm 

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/10 ... ubsidiary/

It's a start

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:17 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
F1nut wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
What's old is new again.

BRING BACK BOB VARSHA!!!!!!

Add another "bring back Varsha" to the list! Dump Diffey and Buxton too!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:52 pm 

Varsha, Diffey, Matchet, and Buxton ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:56 pm 

I don't currently watch much of anything on ESPN, so I don't have any idea what to expect. But at least it doesn't mean US coverage is going internet-only, which I personally would find highly annoying.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 pm 

I like Hobbs. It's like watching the race with your uncle who likes to put a drop of bourbon in his coffee.
Which isn't to say I think he sounds drunk, but more like he lets the stream of consciousness flow in an endearing way without giving it too much thought.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:01 pm 

Exediron wrote:
I don't currently watch much of anything on ESPN, so I don't have any idea what to expect. But at least it doesn't mean US coverage is going internet-only, which I personally would find highly annoying.

Eh..... there is a future in Internet only. The only time I get to watch Indycar is when it is on the 'net, and its a series I would really like to take more of an interest in, cos there is certainly a few things they get 'right' for me over F1. The coverage in the UK is never going to be above par though, so if there was internet only coverage of it for someone like me, i'd be all over it. I'd think the same was true in a few countries for F1.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:04 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
So this might be good or bad. ESPN is kind of hit or miss but it is a far more popular sports channel than NBCSN and I think the heightened exposure might be a big part of what's going on here behind the scenes. I think Liberty really want increased exposure for F1 in the US and having ESPN as the carrier is going to facilitate that. I know that ESPN apparently won out in a bidding contest but I think this is something Liberty want.

In terms of the broadcast team; I hate to say it but I'd scrap the current team completely if possible and get some people who have more relevant (and more recent) experience. I never much liked Diffy and Hobbs jumped the shark years ago. I have fond memories of David from back in the old days but he now mumbles jibberish 75% of the time when he speaks. Steve Matchet tends to repeat the exact same phrases every broadcast. It's really not a very good team at all.

They really need an ex F1 driver (not from so far back as Hobbs) that has some connection to the current teams and is more of an insider. The team we've had are clearly not that intimately involved in F1 and it shows when you look at them compared to the British team of Coulthard, Webber, Brundle, etc. We need at least one person like that as part of the team and then I would say that a better TV guy is needed too. Varsha wasn't bad but he was extremely boring and I just don't like Diffy. Of all of the team I suppose Steve is the one who might have the best case for staying on but I'd rather just start completely anew.

I can think of one recently retired driver. In fact, he will hold the WDC title until the end of this season.

But what will happen is that ESPN will pick up the Sky (or whatever) feed, and bring in their own commentary. The commentators will be centralized in just one studio (Charlotte?), and do their commentary from there. So that offers the advantage of being in a stable location, very good for a family man. The down side is they are not at the races.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:10 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Eh..... there is a future in Internet only.

There's a future in a lot of things I don't like. In the future it will probably be only viewable on some sort of godforsaken mobile app, and you'll have to huddle with your face crammed into your tiny screen while your giant TV sits neglected in the background.

I have absolutely no problem with making content like F1 available for internet streaming, I just don't want the type of media I actually use to be sacrificed for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:11 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/10/04/f1-does-a-tv-deal-with-abc-a-disney-subsidiary/

It's a start

Will this deal be directly with F1 (in what ever guises, liberty etc) or as a feed from Sky? I seem to remember Sky having outright claim to the FIA feed for quite a few years still to come.?

If this is a 'deal' directly between the broadcaster and FIA/F1/Liberty or what ever, I see it as a very good thing. They make the feed themselves and if it goes directly to Sky they will stifle competition. If the deal is direct, it opens many avenues that seem to have been closed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:42 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Eh..... there is a future in Internet only.

There's a future in a lot of things I don't like. In the future it will probably be only viewable on some sort of godforsaken mobile app, and you'll have to huddle with your face crammed into your tiny screen while your giant TV sits neglected in the background.

I have absolutely no problem with making content like F1 available for internet streaming, I just don't want the type of media I actually use to be sacrificed for it.

Dont get me wrong, if it came between TV viewing and watching on a PC/Mobile, there really is only one winner. However, thats a choice a lot of people don't get to make. If it isn't on TV, then it has to be the lesser device. To extend my hypothetical situation, I can't make Sky show Indy so if there is a readily available alternative (as in IPTV/even YT showing it in crap res) then I will give it a go, and with that, I become one more fan than that series had before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:54 pm 

I would not be concerned, ESPN are not stupid. Their main audience is free to air TV, so they won't kill the golden goose. That being said, mobile apps are the future, and it is better to be sooner than later in adopting this technology.

My personal position is clear. I like Formula One and do wish to view the races. But I will only do it on free to air TV. If Formula One does not come to me, I can live without it because there is a heck of a lot of good racing going on in other series.

For example, who is going to watch the Petit LeMans this weekend? Because for me, Formula One definitely takes a back seat to IMSA. The entire race weekend is streamed, and I will pump it from my computer to my TV, sit back,and enjoy it all free and at my convenience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:55 pm 

I like Buxton the most!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:22 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/10/04/f1-does-a-tv-deal-with-abc-a-disney-subsidiary/

It's a start

ESPN was one of the best at promoting all sorts of motorsports due to the love and passion of one gentleman in particular… Dave Despain!
His LOVE of a variety of quality series led to ESPN broadcasting a 4-Hour lineup on Thursday evenings that consisted of Motocross, USAC Midgets and Outlaw Sprints, Dirt Track and others but it was always capped off with the (at the time) ever so popular Stadium Truck Series featuring the legendary Ironman Ivan Stewart who was teamed up with a young phenom named Robbie Gordon. The coverage was stellar and Dave anchored the entire 4-hour block every single week. Eventually however, ESPN moved it's focus to NASCAR and dwindled it's CART coverage to further push the NASCAR stuff and in less than 2 years ESPN was almost exclusively NASCAR and NHRA and it's been that way ever since, though NHRA seems to have dwindled down significantly.

Then Speedvision came on the scene and they took motorsport into this new era here in the states and they became the gold standard for anything and everything motorsport until Fox came along and decided to change it into the NASCAR network in order to further shove the series down more peoples' throats, slowly killing off every discipline that wasn't NASCAR until they killed it.

And in all these years, any non-Nascar coverage is almost non-existent and the bits they do feature are merely reworded pickups of articles written by other journalists, and even then you have to dig. NBCSN was not much better either, but at least their journalists write their own stuff from scratch.

Thanks to the Disney acquisition of ESPN, then network has completely changed what it was in the last few years. They used to be the premiere promoter of Boxing for the un-ranked up and comers on ESPN's Tuesday Night Fight and ESPN'S Friday Night Fights and no other show on the planet could touch them but both went away in favor of increasing coverage for Football which although I'm a HUGE fan of the NFL, it's always had crazy amounts of coverage on the network and now the NFL Network so there was no need to drop other programming in favor of blasting the NFL and the NBA down your throat 24 hours a day.

As for the broadcasting team, I really like Will Buxton so I hope he stays on as the field reporter and Hobbo and Matchett have moments that make you laugh so hard it's unbelievable, BUT they know what they're talking about so I wouldn't mind them being brought on to continue as part of the team. Diffey on the other hand I can do without! He is superb for Motorcycle racing because its a more action-packed & risky type of racing so his enthusiasm and excitement I feel are perfectly suited for it, but for F1 he is terrible. The lights go out and you only hear his voice and he often shouts mistakenly because he thought he saw something and sometimes one of the other 2 have to talk him down off the ledge but he's also caught himself at times. To top it all off the guy cannot take criticism. Make one mention for him to tone it down a tad and he'll immediately block you on all social media. He seems like a nice enough guy, but he's never been, nor will he ever be a proper fit for F1. I do love Bob Varsha as well and he happens to be one of the most intelligent people you will ever speak with and good gosh he's the nicest guy too!

Having said that, I can appreciate a complete mixup in the studio with a team consisting of recently former drivers and there are a few to choose from that may fit the bill but I really enjoy Anthony Davidson a great deal and I wouldn't mind him with Will Buxton, but I'm not so sure Buxton wants to be in the studio and would rather do the broadcast from the venues which I'd be all for. Buxton was great at calling the action in GP2 so I'd expect he'd be just as good for F1. Rosberg would probably be a good addition to that lineup as well and judging by his Williams video series he would be naturally suited for it.

Let's see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 pm 

Rosberg is certainly dipping his toe on Sky this weekend, and as an erudite and knowledgeable chap, he probably cant go far wrong unless he gets camera shy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:49 pm 

I get Formula One through Sling TV. I just checked and Sling does not carry ESPN or ESPN2 so that means two things. One, i get to cancel my subscription to Sling and save $25/month. Two, to watch F1 I have to go back to alternate ways to view the races. I will not pay to get cable just to watch F1.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:03 pm 

Sling most definitely does carry ESPN and ESPN2.

I just asked my buddy here at work and he watches it every day.

it's actually the first channel listed on this page: https://www.sling.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:06 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Sling most definitely does carry ESPN and ESPN2.

I just asked my buddy here at work and he watches it every day.

it's actually the first channel listed on this page: https://www.sling.com/

Hmmmmm........maybe I need to upgrade my package. It’s not listed as an available channel anywhere for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:21 pm 

Ha! The day Bratches was hired I predicted the coverage shifting to ESPN...

Maybe F1/LM are setting this up as the precursor to their live streaming subscription service?

Clear as mud...
https://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/f1-returns-to-espnabc-for-2018/

Quote:
Update: I did hear from the nice folks at ESPN that the broadcast would be using the F1-produced world feed including announcers who have not been determined yet, which is what NBC and SPEED used if I have my facts correct, and that there would be no ESPN announcers involved in the broadcast. Now this adds a different slant to the situation.

I hope this means we'll get the Sky coverage, but that quote makes it sound like maybe we won't (If it's correct. I know Todd and he doesn't usually post BS tho).

Kinda seems like this cat got outta the bag before they were really ready to let it run...

For a company counting pennies like ESPN supposedly is right now, just rebroadcasting the Sky feed a la TSN sure would be cheap for them, and it would be a HUGE upgrade from NBC that would make a lot of American F1 fans love them imho.

Last edited by hairy_scotsman on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:38 pm 

hairy_scotsman wrote:
For a company counting pennies like ESPN supposedly is right now, just rebroadcasting the Sky feed a la TSN sure would be cheap for them, and it would be a HUGE upgrade from NBC that would make a lot of American F1 fans love them imho.

I've watched Sky coverage. I wouldn't say getting stuck with Crofty is a huge upgrade on much of anything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:44 pm 

Exediron wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:

I've watched Sky coverage. I wouldn't say getting stuck with Crofty is a huge upgrade on much of anything.

Crofty's no genius, but overall, the whole package Sky brings is vastly superior to what NBC brings imho. And it's not even close.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
For example, who is going to watch the Petit LeMans this weekend? Because for me, Formula One definitely takes a back seat to IMSA. The entire race weekend is streamed, and I will pump it from my computer to my TV, sit back,and enjoy it all free and at my convenience.

Thank you sir for information given above regarding ESPN, and you can bet the farm I'll be watching the Petit (on FS1 and FS2 though), me likey the Corvette Racing team and even Jeff Gordon, who will be make his broadcasting debut as commentator is a bonus at this the 20th Petit LeMans - go Gavin/Miller and especially their new/old team mate Marcel Fassler :thumbup: who along with the Magnussen/Garcia team - Mike Rockenfeller :thumbup: , both IIRC, who have not run the 'vets since the opening 24 hour of Daytona and the 12 @ Sebring - lookin forward to seeing them kick derriere again...... :]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:35 am 

oops.......dupe post :blush:

Last edited by F1nut on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 am 

I think what I'm missing from the above posts is that this is actually a completely different direction for F1 broadcasting. It's not just a new deal with another broadcaster, but a partnership where Liberty Media will be fully active themselves, as in the NBC statement:

In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/883530/1/f1-enters-new-digital-tv-partnership-with-espn

If that's the model they want to work towards it opens up much more potential for e.g. cross-region coverage in the future, which I would wholeheartedly support. No more of this "not available in your region" rubbish every time you want to view a clip

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 am 

I'm not sure how good a deal this is for F1, simply because ESPN has been a staggering drain on parent company Disney and has laid off a huge percentage of their staff. If I remember correctly, 10-15% of ESPN's staff was laid off this year alone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 am 

Zoue wrote:
I think what I'm missing from the above posts is that this is actually a completely different direction for F1 broadcasting. It's not just a new deal with another broadcaster, but a partnership where Liberty Media will be fully active themselves, as in the NBC statement:

In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/883530/1/f1-enters-new-digital-tv-partnership-with-espn

If that's the model they want to work towards it opens up much more potential for e.g. cross-region coverage in the future, which I would wholeheartedly support. No more of this "not available in your region" rubbish every time you want to view a clip

Did you not read my first reply? I even called out the region thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:32 pm 

It would be great to get Brundle commentating here in the States. The model where each country and broadcaster needs to have their own analysts and commentary team is outdated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:36 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
I'm not sure how good a deal this is for F1, simply because ESPN has been a staggering drain on parent company Disney and has laid off a huge percentage of their staff. If I remember correctly, 10-15% of ESPN's staff was laid off this year alone.

ESPN's problems stem from "feeling" they needed to satisfy the current social status of the world and turn their exclusive club of elite journalists into an all-inclusive one for ANY AND ALL APPLICANTS and as a result the network began plopping less than qualified people in front of the desks to present the new & highlights. As such the fan base was turned off and simply stopped tuning in. And while I agree everyone deserves a chance, just like F1, in the big leagues, only the best of the best should be given the opportunity… Not because of their sex, not because of their color, but because they are extraordinarily good at what they do.

Of all the female personalities they now have and have decided to put on the air, there are but 4 that are as elite as it gets and that's what fans want to see.

Linda Cohn, Hanna Storm, Suzy Colbert, and Rachel Nichols are all as good as the best men the network has ever had. Outside of them it's tough to find superb female personalities, though I'm sure I'm missing a few.

On the men's side they had a BUNCH of bad ones too and because the money hungry parent company Disney wanted to increase their profit from the network, they started playing hardball with contracts and many of the best people left to competing networks and as a result made new hires and they didn't get it right often enough. The decisions they made on their lineups fell flat for a long time and they lost viewership as a result and once Disney realized that playing hardball landed them in such a predicament, they went back to the drawing board and devised a plan to make the network more inclusionary than ever before in the hopes that the viewer base would once again grow, but that didn't work. And if that's not bad enough, when the decision was made to lay off all the staff they did this year, they once again got things wrong, letting go some of the best people and keeping awful ones like Jemele Hill who has to be one of the absolute worst, least knowledgeable, most uninformed, and unqualified person they have ever employed. And to top it off her voice is like nails on a chalkboard!

I'm just happy I got to witness every NFL Sunday with Chris Berman & Tom Jackson and the rest of the staff, and going back further when Chris was a strapping almost 30-year old behind the desk with so many great personalities. He Could Go All… The… Way!… Wwhooooooop! Fuuuuuuumble!

No one has ever been as excellent or as brilliant at calling a sport as Chris is with football and he and Tom Jackson are equally the greatest 1-2 duo ever to cover sports (Dan Patrick & Keith Olbermann being the others): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za0z34QgFSM

I just hope they get F1 coverage right.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:11 pm 

I havent watched one minute of ESPN since F1 was last carried by them. 15 years ago? I dont know, I've lost track. So I dont know anything about their current on-air talent. I just know from following the financial news that ESPN is an enormous drain on Disney, to the point that no one wants to buy Disney because they would then be caught up in the financial disaster that is ESPN. Big media is in an M & A state these days and the name Disney is often floated, but then ESPN is brought up and Disney is quickly dismissed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:31 pm 

http://charlotteracersexpo.com/wp-content/uploads/Economaki_d1_400.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm 

Exediron wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:

how would the sky feed be a "huge upgrade" over what nbc broadcast ? it's the same feed....don't they just add their own graphics and talking heads ?

espn has been sinking like the titanic. nothing i can do about who shows it in the states, just glad i can still dvr it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:50 pm 

pc27b wrote:
Exediron wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:

how would the sky feed be a "huge upgrade" over what nbc broadcast ? it's the same feed....don't they just add their own graphics and talking heads ?

espn has been sinking like the titanic. nothing i can do about who shows it in the states, just glad i can still dvr it

I think they are suggesting that the talking heads would be the upgrade.