planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:21 am 

Perhaps we could do with a update after every grand prix with the points standings had SV and LH finished as they started on the grid at Singapore in an alternate universe championship standings? Just to realise the points difference that crash made? Because not only did SV lose all of his points, LH gained quite a few more as a result.

It would be interesting to see come the end of the year if the crash really did make the difference to the destination of the WDC or Whether LH was going to ease away anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:35 am 

Is this the pendulum effect?

There are plenty more events that could be taken into consideration though, even if the Singapore debacle yielded the biggest single swing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:38 am 
If Lewis came 4th in Singapore and Malaysia with Vettel winning it would be a 57 point swing. Vettel would be 23 points ahead now. That assume both Ferrari's being reliable in both races.

If Vettel had won Singapore with Ham 4th and Ferrari still had its issues in Malaysia. Vettel would be 4 points ahead of Hamilton still.

If Vettel still wiped out in Singapore but both Ferraris were reliable in Malaysia and finished ahead of Lewis who came 4th. Vettel would be 15 points behind Hamilton.

As it stands he is 34 points behind Hamilton

The answer to your final question will be answered in the final 5 races and partly this weekend to see where everybody stands after the hot Malaysia and Singapore GPs that expose Mercedes flaws. It wouldn't surprise me if Mercedes won 4/5 or Ferrari won 4/5 too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:41 am 

I think Lewis would have got Kimi at Singapore through the stops so I think Seb would be 1pt ahead right now.(If that's right)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:10 pm 

Start with where would Hamilton have finished in Singapore had that crash not happened?

The weather may well have played towards him: I read (unable to locate the source now) that with *inaudible* radius wheels for wets / inters the floor of the car is effectively lifted a little and that the Merc is not as affected as other cars by this. Add Hamilton's self-stated confidence in his wet-weather driving and we may well have seen him put up more of a fight than would have been expected in a dry race.

As for Malaysia - I'd assume that Vettel wold have stuck it on pole. From there, would have Bottas' start been compromised by more cars crowding Turn 1 ahead of him, or might he have picked off one or two other drivers?

Aargh - too many possible variables!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:39 pm 

I'm sure Hamilton would have been on the podium in Singapore but I have no idea in what position. Let's say worst case for him is 3rd place while Vettel wins. I'd have it as Vettel 272, Hamilton 271 8O

Malaysia would have played out the same

FA#14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:58 pm 

In Malaysia Hamilton would at best finished 4th, the pace of the Ferrari’s was unreal. If it wasn’t for Bottas he would have finished 5th.

In Singapore Hamilton would have been on the podium. Add in the Baku headrest and I think Hamilton would still hold a slight lead.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:21 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
In Malaysia Hamilton would at best finished 4th, the pace of the Ferrari’s was unreal. If it wasn’t for Bottas he would have finished 5th.

In Singapore Hamilton would have been on the podium. Add in the Baku headrest and I think Hamilton would still hold a slight lead.
Don't give him the Baku headrest! Any headrest but that!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:31 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Don't give him the Baku headrest! Any headrest but that!

:lol:

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016