planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:20 am 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-to-introduce-biometric-gloves-in-2018-961836

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I was impressed enough by the ingenuity being put into safety concerns to want to share with everyone. The mind boggles at what they can do and how they came up with such an elegant and non-invasive solution like this!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:03 am 

That's pretty cool.

I wonder if we will occasionally see this on-screen? Might be interesting!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:11 am 

Herb wrote:
That's pretty cool.

I hope that they do show the data on screen both before the race starts and then during the race at various points round the circuit, to see how much things differ depending on how much exertion the body is going through.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:29 am 

That its in the gloves is interesting and I wish there was more info about where in the glove and whether it is a wired or wireless connection.

Being in the palm is a non-starter, across the back doesn't seem like a tight enough fit to give reliable heart rate data. Maybe something in the wrist so that it can cinched down.

Getting HR from the wrist with optical sensors has gotten really good (for most people) over the last couple of years but I don't know about blood oxygen which was also mentioned.

I guess I wonder why they're doing it this way. The ability to do this has been around for a while wirelessly with a simple chest strap and wouldn't add more than a few ounces, as this solution will as well.

I'm rambling because I haven't had coffee yet. I guess I'll just have to wait for more info to come out but as an endurance runner I'm a bit of a geek about physiological tech.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:46 am 

owenmahamilton wrote:
Herb wrote:
That's pretty cool.

I hope that they do show the data on screen both before the race starts and then during the race at various points round the circuit, to see how much things differ depending on how much exertion the body is going through.

Please no, the armchair experts around here are bickering enough about the the existent telemetry already. Having access to heart rates etc. too is just too much IMO.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:47 am 

Covalent wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
Herb wrote:
That's pretty cool.

Please no, the armchair experts around here are bickering enough about the the existent telemetry already. Having access to heart rates etc. too is just too much IMO.

yes, but my driver has a lower pulse rate than yours. Look how cool he is!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:48 am 

Would be interesting to see just how excited Kimi doesn't get during a race though :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am 

Zoue wrote:
Covalent wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
Herb wrote:
That's pretty cool.

That may be so, but my driver has such a high pulse rate because he has to drive his donkey off in that dog of a car!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:51 am 

Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Covalent wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
Herb wrote:
That's pretty cool.

That may be so, but my driver has such a high pulse rate because he has to drive his donkey off in that dog of a car!

Touché! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:19 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Covalent wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
Herb wrote:
That's pretty cool.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:30 pm 

There would be so much comparing of HR which would be absolutely useless without knowing each drivers baseline HR stats.

Heart rate isn't something that is comparable between 2 individuals. You could take 2 athletes of the same age, fitness level, and ability and the odds of their HR being the same at the same effort are very small. I've read stories by elite coaches who talk about 2 of their athletes having as much as 10bpm difference between them at the same effort level.

Add to that the fact that your maximum heart rate declines with age whether you train or not and it really throws the idea of comparing one driver to another out the window. What Kimi's average HR during a race was when he first entered F1 was higher than what it is now, and what Max's is right now is higher than what it will be 5 years from now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:21 pm 

They show team principle heart rates in formula e occasionally. Usually when their drivers are doing well and in better positions than expected. Not the drivers heart rate, but it's still interesting seeing the stress levels of the pitwall rising :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:12 pm 

It is an ingenious bit of technology and quite interesting from that perspective (hopefully it will also serve its function well), but I for one hope that they don't start broadcasting the info at any time. It's not meaningful to the vast majority of people watching, has the -- albeit thankfully slim at this point -- potential to turn rather morbid, and doesn't add anything. There's a reasonably long list of additional info I'd rather see first, and top of that would be keeping the timing gaps and tyre indication up all the time.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 6 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:16 pm 

SteveW wrote:
Would be interesting to see just how excited Kimi doesn't get during a race though :lol:

Ha ha ha. I can't wait