planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:39 pm 

Hardly surprising, but there you go:

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/fe ... t-3119812/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:42 pm 

Kinda sounds like it's a one year deal which is good going for him to keep his options open. Maybe a 1+1 deal if the car goes well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:53 pm 

Haha shots fired at Honda in that video.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:22 pm 

It will be interesting to see what Alonso's attitude will be if the Renault engine is relative crap next year.
In a recent article Honda said that is didn't like his attitude. With the Japanese "saving face" culture, I understand.
Will he criticize Renault, with which he has had much success, as much as Honda if their engine is just as bad?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm 

donr wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Alonso's attitude will be if the Renault engine is relative crap next year.
In a recent article Honda said that is didn't like his attitude. With the Japanese "saving face" culture, I understand.
Will he criticize Renault, with which he has had much success, as much as Honda if their engine is just as bad?

It will depend on McLaren's performance relative to Red Bull, as it will give him a direct comparison to a leading team with the same power unit.

So long as the McLaren chassis is within 7/10ths of the Red Bull chassis, then by his own words he'll be able to beat them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:33 pm 

donr wrote:

I don't think it's anything to do with Japanese culture. It's just toxic to work in an environment where someone is aggressive with their criticism and disrespectful towards coworkers. I think most people here in the forum have had some experience with that in their professional lives.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:38 pm 

donr wrote:

They said a bit more too...

Basically it has been for two things: one, that our engine did not has power, and two, that the power we found could not always be deployed as we wanted. "
Hasegawa knows that the star driver Fernando Alonso has suffered in his flesh the lack of performance and for that reason he understands some reactions of the Asturian. "Alonso always came to put pressure on me, if the car was going badly, he had no qualms about telling me he was not happy, and do not think that he liked it, quite the opposite: he's a good person. but He had to do it. " After all, he wanted everything to be all right, so I'm so embarrassed and disappointed that I did not give him a good engine," explains the Japanese.

Shame, a word that hurts a Japanese worker that was not well received by other leaders of the Japanese company: "Obviously, there are people in Honda who was not happy with the attitude of Alonso" but it is not my case, for me it was not a problem.Personally , I am very sorry that he became embarrassed or angry.
From a professional point of view, there have been many problems, because he was never happy, and thus it is very difficult to establish a good working relationship. Alonso did his job, as a good professional that he is.The pilots, after all, are very emotional types and you have to understand them when they behave like this.If I had the best car, would not Alonso be happy? That's why we can not complain
. "

Problems and disappointments that according to Hasegawa were increased by the great hopes that had in the project: "The expectations on Honda were so, so high ... That has been our great failure. It is not that the project of McLaren did not work, alone that we have not met expectations, we were too ambitious, and we were not really ready in 2015. We have improved, but the directive leadership was not expecting this , yes, Honda's identity is always to fight, not to surrender. to do, if we would not leave F1. "

https://as.com/motor/2017/10/16/formula ... 08795.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:43 pm 

As for criticising Renault then he will if they fail as badly as Honda but that's never going to happen. He's much more likely to complain about the car if it falls short I'd say. As Hasegawa points out they are emotional beings and anything less than the best and they're not going to be happy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
donr wrote:

It will depend on McLaren's performance relative to Red Bull, as it will give him a direct comparison to a leading team with the same power unit.

So long as the McLaren chassis is within 7/10ths of the Red Bull chassis, then by his own words he'll be able to beat them.

No, if they're .700 off RBR it means they'd be 1.300 off without him driving for the team. The six tenths was development that he brought to the team, not driving.

Seriously, however, I don't think he's going to be making much stink about the engine if at least one Renault engined team is doing well. If both Macca and RBR are struggling, he might very well. If RBR is winning, he'll know it's the car. And if Macca is winning, there's no reason to complain at all! :o

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:59 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Kinda sounds like it's a one year deal which is good going for him to keep his options open. Maybe a 1+1 deal if the car goes well.

Exactly which kind of goes against this commitment that Alonso is apparently making to the team.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 am 

donr wrote:

So that's basically another major corporation that he has perhaps burnt his bridge with?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
donr wrote:

I thought that was 6 tenths? :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:06 am 

Exediron wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
donr wrote:

No, if they're .700 off RBR it means they'd be 1.300 off without him driving for the team. The six tenths was development that he brought to the team, not driving.

Seriously, however, I don't think he's going to be making much stink about the engine if at least one Renault engined team is doing well. If both Macca and RBR are struggling, he might very well. If RBR is winning, he'll know it's the car. And if Macca is winning, there's no reason to complain at all! :o

In respect to Red Bull then, McLaren will have to develop their own flexi-wings. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:39 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Exactly which kind of goes against this commitment that Alonso is apparently making to the team.

How so?. He's a bit long in the tooth for yet another long term project don't you think?. At 36/7 he'd be stupid not to have options and it sounds like it's at least a 1+1 so if they both deliver they'll be staying put.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:53 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Except it's not true.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13249 ... s-longterm

"When asked if the deal was just for 2018, Alonso said: "No. We never discuss the contract clauses and we are not going to do it now, but it's a long-term contract and we'll see how things go."

So where's anything against his commitment to the team?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Except it's not true.

"When asked if the deal was just for 2018, Alonso said: "No. We never discuss the contract clauses and we are not going to do it now, but it's a long-term contract and we'll see how things go."

There's a section of motorsport fans who just love to make stuff up about Alonso in order to put him in the worst light possible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:37 am 

pokerman wrote:
donr wrote:

So that's basically another major corporation that he has perhaps burnt his bridge with?

Have you responded to every post in this thread except for Lotus49's post citing exactly what was said? Ya know, the one with the truth in it

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:01 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
donr wrote:

They said a bit more too...

Basically it has been for two things: one, that our engine did not has power, and two, that the power we found could not always be deployed as we wanted. "
Hasegawa knows that the star driver Fernando Alonso has suffered in his flesh the lack of performance and for that reason he understands some reactions of the Asturian. "Alonso always came to put pressure on me, if the car was going badly, he had no qualms about telling me he was not happy, and do not think that he liked it, quite the opposite: he's a good person. but He had to do it. " After all, he wanted everything to be all right, so I'm so embarrassed and disappointed that I did not give him a good engine," explains the Japanese.

Shame, a word that hurts a Japanese worker that was not well received by other leaders of the Japanese company: "Obviously, there are people in Honda who was not happy with the attitude of Alonso" but it is not my case, for me it was not a problem.Personally , I am very sorry that he became embarrassed or angry.
From a professional point of view, there have been many problems, because he was never happy, and thus it is very difficult to establish a good working relationship. Alonso did his job, as a good professional that he is.The pilots, after all, are very emotional types and you have to understand them when they behave like this.If I had the best car, would not Alonso be happy? That's why we can not complain
. "

Problems and disappointments that according to Hasegawa were increased by the great hopes that had in the project: "The expectations on Honda were so, so high ... That has been our great failure. It is not that the project of McLaren did not work, alone that we have not met expectations, we were too ambitious, and we were not really ready in 2015. We have improved, but the directive leadership was not expecting this , yes, Honda's identity is always to fight, not to surrender. to do, if we would not leave F1. "

https://as.com/motor/2017/10/16/formula ... 08795.html

:thumbup: Thanks for putting this up, seems most only read the headlines and jumped to conclusions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:21 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

How so?. He's a bit long in the tooth for yet another long term project don't you think?. At 36/7 he'd be stupid not to have options and it sounds like it's at least a 1+1 so if they both deliver they'll be staying put.

A 1 year contract is not a statement of commitment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Except it's not true.

He doesn't want to discuss the contract clauses which basically means he can leave the team whenever he pleases, this is the kind of contract he tried to negotiate at Ferrari but they would have none of it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:26 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
donr wrote:

Have you responded to every post in this thread except for Lotus49's post citing exactly what was said? Ya know, the one with the truth in it

Which basically said the same thing that there were people within Honda that did not like his attitude.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:31 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
donr wrote:

Which basically said the same thing that there were people within Honda that did not like his attitude.

Poker, I think your smart enough to know that in the workplace, not everyone is going to get along and their will be cultural and attitude clashes. This includes Hamilton, Vettel, Prost and even Schumacher. The only difference is what the media choices to publish.

Last edited by cm97 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:33 pm 

This is a bad news for McLaren. If Fernando had left you just know the McLaren would be title contenders in 2018. :]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:36 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

:lol:

McLaren seem more than happy with the level of commitment he's shown which is really all that matters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
donr wrote:

Yeah because all other drivers are worshipped by every one at their respective teams. Drivers are nightmares even when you deliver them rocketships never mind tractors.

Workplaces are like that and you can't please everyone. Hasegawa, the man Honda put in charge and who has racing experience and dealt with Alonso the closest, felt very differently and understood what drivers are like in those situations.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 am 

cm97 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
donr wrote:

Poker, I think your smart enough to know that in the workplace, not everyone is going to get along and their will be cultural and attitude clashes. This includes Hamilton, Vettel, Prost and even Schumacher. The only difference is what the media choices to publish.

Maybe I misread it, I thought he was referring to people higher up at Honda?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:19 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

McLaren seem more than happy with the level of commitment he's shown which is really all that matters.

It's all about having a positive front, we know Alonso is driving for Mclaren in 2018, were will he be driving in 2019?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:32 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It's all about having a positive front, we know Alonso is driving for Mclaren in 2018, were will he be driving in 2019?

McLaren if they build a good enough car and they still want him I'd imagine. Either way they're both happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:58 am 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

He doesn't want to discuss the contract clauses which basically means he can leave the team whenever he pleases, this is the kind of contract he tried to negotiate at Ferrari but they would have none of it.

It means that?

Can you find me a case of a driver openly discussing their contract clauses right after signing a new contract? Or at all, frankly?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:36 am 

pokerman wrote:
donr wrote:

I want him to speak fairy cakes about Mclaren again when they fail to compete against RBR next year and are at a distant 4th or even 5th best team :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:37 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

It's on McLaren to deliver the goods now. They give him a race winning car and Alonso doesn't need to look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:31 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Except it's not true.

That's the mother of all assumptions, wouldn't you say? he doesn't want to discuss = he can leave whenever he wants? How do you draw that conclusion?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 pm 

I wonder if he is committing to the Mclaren F1 team or just to Mclaren? A win in Indy or Le Mans would look good for both of them

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:09 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

It means that?

Can you find me a case of a driver openly discussing their contract clauses right after signing a new contract? Or at all, frankly?

I know that Hamilton signed a 3 year contract with Mercedes followed by another 3 year contract, exactly the same with Vettel at Ferrari, Ricciardo's contract runs out after 2018, Verstappen's after 2020, I haven't a clue about Alonso's contract.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:10 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
pokerman wrote:
donr wrote:

I want him to speak fairy cakes about Mclaren again when they fail to compete against RBR next year and are at a distant 4th or even 5th best team :lol:

That may well happen. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:11 am 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Except it's not true.

That's the mother of all assumptions, wouldn't you say? he doesn't want to discuss = he can leave whenever he wants? How do you draw that conclusion?

I'll assume because of all the secrecy around the contract.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:32 am 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Except it's not true.

Secrecy could be for any number of reasons. How many drivers publish their contracts for all to see? You can't assume there's an open get-out clause on the basis that they won't talk about it. And you certainly can't state it like it's any kind of fact

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:33 am 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

It means that?

I know that Hamilton signed a 3 year contract with Mercedes followed by another 3 year contract, exactly the same with Vettel at Ferrari, Ricciardo's contract runs out after 2018, Verstappen's after 2020, I haven't a clue about Alonso's contract.

But you don't know whether any of them have get out clauses, or indeed any clauses on anything.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:38 am 

pokerman wrote:
cm97 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Maybe I misread it, I thought he was referring to people higher up at Honda?

Another assumption

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:17 am 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Except it's not true.

Secrecy could be for any number of reasons. How many drivers publish their contracts for all to see? You can't assume there's an open get-out clause on the basis that they won't talk about it. And you certainly can't state it like it's any kind of fact

We don't even know how many years it's for, why the secrecy?