planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:34 am 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Secrecy could be for any number of reasons. How many drivers publish their contracts for all to see? You can't assume there's an open get-out clause on the basis that they won't talk about it. And you certainly can't state it like it's any kind of fact

We don't even know how many years it's for, why the secrecy?

I don't know why he hasn't said the number of years, but I don't agree that keeping that information secret automatically means that his contract is as open as a sieve. That's just an assumption you're making.

That said, I expect he did carefully place get-out clauses in it. I don't see people piling on Max for wanting the same in his contract - in fact, he seems to be oddly applauded for it. How come it's reasonable for Max but disloyal for Alonso? He's already given the team 3 of his best years, and he's achieved nothing because of Honda. Fair enough, but now Honda is gone; if McLaren still can't compete, then he has no reason to stay. Even as a McLaren fan, I can't fault him for that; he doesn't have that many years left to burn.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:32 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Secrecy could be for any number of reasons. How many drivers publish their contracts for all to see? You can't assume there's an open get-out clause on the basis that they won't talk about it. And you certainly can't state it like it's any kind of fact

I don't know why he hasn't said the number of years, but I don't agree that keeping that information secret automatically means that his contract is as open as a sieve. That's just an assumption you're making.

That said, I expect he did carefully place get-out clauses in it. I don't see people piling on Max for wanting the same in his contract - in fact, he seems to be oddly applauded for it. How come it's reasonable for Max but disloyal for Alonso? He's already given the team 3 of his best years, and he's achieved nothing because of Honda. Fair enough, but now Honda is gone; if McLaren still can't compete, then he has no reason to stay. Even as a McLaren fan, I can't fault him for that; he doesn't have that many years left to burn.

Were are the clauses in Verstappen's contract when he has given reasons for not driving for either Ferrari and Mercedes but committed to Red Bull until 2020?

This is all about showing a united front when it seems to me obvious that if McLaren can't deliver then Alonso leaves at the end of the year.

So with one you have a commitment to a team that they will come good and deliver wins and titles in the next 3 years whilst the other is deliver or I'm gone.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:45 pm 

Indeed, Zak Brown said the contract is 'structured' to keep him at McLaren for the foreseeable future so maybe a rolling one year option as I suspect Alonso will not want to be tethered to them for many years again after the Honda debacle. I suspect he's looking to see how Renault and other midfield teams do in the future. It's up to McLaren now to keep him by being competitive. I thought like him his performance at Austin was sublime, he's at peace now with his situation ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:09 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Were are the clauses in Verstappen's contract when he has given reasons for not driving for either Ferrari and Mercedes but committed to Red Bull until 2020?

This is all about showing a united front when it seems to me obvious that if McLaren can't deliver then Alonso leaves at the end of the year.

So with one you have a commitment to a team that they will come good and deliver wins and titles in the next 3 years whilst the other is deliver or I'm gone.

It's thought Max got outs that he didn't have in his previous deal. His old deal had RB holding the option until the end of 2019 with only WCC position acting as a release. For 1 more year he's been given a big pay bump and better outs.

And one of them is 20 and hasn't had 3 seasons in the sport yet and the other is 36 and has more broken promises from teams than championships and hasn't had the best car in over 10 years. He's committed to a 4th and potentially 5th year to McLaren if both sides are happy.

And both McLaren and Alonso hold options as I understand it. If Norris dominates F2 next year and Vandoorne beats 37yr old Alonso then the bosses at Macca are going to be pretty over the moon they didn't lock 40m a year Alonso into a 3yr deal that runs until Alonso is 39.

And again, McLaren are perfectly happy with his level of commitment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm 

One huge benefit to Mclaren of keeping Alonso is that he is not going somewhere else. If he went to say Williams, Mclaren would find it far harder to get infront of Williams. So its not only points for Mclaren, but points not going to a team they are going to be fighting with next year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:57 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:

It's thought Max got outs that he didn't have in his previous deal. His old deal had RB holding the option until the end of 2019 with only WCC position acting as a release. For 1 more year he's been given a big pay bump and better outs.

And one of them is 20 and hasn't had 3 seasons in the sport yet and the other is 36 and has more broken promises from teams than championships and hasn't had the best car in over 10 years. He's committed to a 4th and potentially 5th year to McLaren if both sides are happy.

And both McLaren and Alonso hold options as I understand it. If Norris dominates F2 next year and Vandoorne beats 37yr old Alonso then the bosses at Macca are going to be pretty over the moon they didn't lock 40m a year Alonso into a 3yr deal that runs until Alonso is 39.

Sorry that makes no sense in relation to Verstappen, he had a contract until 2019 which he was unlikely to be able to break so Red Bull give him a new contract for more money and better clauses for him to leave Red Bull before his contract runs out in 2020, why would Red Bull do that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Sorry that makes no sense in relation to Verstappen, he had a contract until 2019 which he was unlikely to be able to break so Red Bull give him a new contract for more money and better clauses for him to leave Red Bull before his contract runs out in 2020, why would Red Bull do that?

To secure him for the extra year I think. It was being talked about on AS forum in a couple of threads. Technically his old deal ran out at the end of 2018 but it was thought RB had the option to extend for a further year but it was tied to WCC placing IIRC but it was never confirmed.

If that option wasn't so one-sided or assured and his leaving at the end of 2018 was a possibility then securing him longer would be attractive even if they have to give him some WDC tied outs like with Seb. You'd back his and your own competitiveness to be the security.

But who knows, we don't have copies of his previous or new contract so it's all rumours/guesswork really to be fair.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:13 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

To secure him for the extra year I think. It was being talked about on AS forum in a couple of threads. Technically his old deal ran out at the end of 2018 but it was thought RB had the option to extend for a further year but it was tied to WCC placing IIRC but it was never confirmed.

If that option wasn't so one-sided or assured and his leaving at the end of 2018 was a possibility then securing him longer would be attractive even if they have to give him some WDC tied outs like with Seb. You'd back his and your own competitiveness to be the security.

But who knows, we don't have copies of his previous or new contract so it's all rumours/guesswork really to be fair.

The 2019 option was that Red Bull had to finish lower than 3rd in the WCC which is highly unlikely, the rumour was that the Verstappens were negotiating for the option to be changed to 3rd in the WDC so making it easier for the option to be triggered.

So basically we are saying that Verstappen gets more money and is on a contract to make it easier to leave the team, that makes no sense for Red Bull unless they believe the option would be triggered that late in the season making Verstappen unavailable anyway unless either Ferrari or Mercedes were prepared to wait until the end of the season to see if Verstappen was going to be available?

Also how do we reconcile all this with Verstappen saying he is at Red Bull until 2020 and he's not going to Ferrari or Mercedes for all the reasons he has given, do these reasons all of a sudden become invalid?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:41 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

The 2019 option was that Red Bull had to finish lower than 3rd in the WCC which is highly unlikely, the rumour was that the Verstappens were negotiating for the option to be changed to 3rd in the WDC so making it easier for the option to be triggered.

So basically we are saying that Verstappen gets more money and is on a contract to make it easier to leave the team, that makes no sense for Red Bull unless they believe the option would be triggered that late in the season making Verstappen unavailable anyway unless either Ferrari or Mercedes were prepared to wait until the end of the season to see if Verstappen was going to be available?

Also how do we reconcile all this with Verstappen saying he is at Red Bull until 2020 and he's not going to Ferrari or Mercedes for all the reasons he has given, do these reasons all of a sudden become invalid?

That was the rumored 2019 option yes but not confirmed unless I missed it. The stuff about the outs in Max's contract is also rumoured. It could well be BS but as you've mentioned it was a rumoured want from the Verstappens to switch to a WDC out and Verstappen has extended so who knows.

It's all rumours as is every other when it comes to contract talk, we don't get copies unfortunately and whatever happened obviously made sense for both parties or they wouldn't have done it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:46 am 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
He doesn't want to discuss the contract clauses which basically means he can leave the team whenever he pleases, this is the kind of contract he tried to negotiate at Ferrari but they would have none of it.

That's the mother of all assumptions, wouldn't you say? he doesn't want to discuss = he can leave whenever he wants? How do you draw that conclusion?

I'll assume because of all the secrecy around the contract.

I've no idea, other than that I never disclose my contract specifics to anyone, so maybe Alonso has the same "it's none of your business" mindset?

Again, secrecy doesn't mean you can make assumptions about any part of it. The only thing you know for sure is that you don't know anything. You simply cannot make assumptions like you are doing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:50 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

We don't have to reconcile it. People say all sorts of things in public that aren't necessarily a reflection of their private thoughts. And even if they are, they don't have to be immutable indefinitely. Don't confuse PR with openness.

There has to be a reason for Max to re-sign now, when he doesn't have to commit this early. So something in that contract has to be more beneficial to him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:24 pm 

Didn't really know where to put this but here will do as its about McLaren and also why Alonso may seem convinced about McLarens potential next year.

So a F1-AT (f1analisitecnica) techie tweeted this..

Rough translation is Honda are 80bhp down on Mercedes in Q3 which costs 1.7/1.8s in laptime at CoTA. Alonso was behind Lewis by 1.9 in Austin.

We also had a tweet showing that Alonso was quickest through T10 in Malaysia a few weeks ago. There's been good noises from AMuS about how McLaren work their tyres all year as well.

Credit Dan Wells for this YouTube comparison from Austin which is great. Shows where Alonso misses out to Lewis..

Anyway I thought it was interesting but not enough for a new thread. It could explain why McLaren felt they needed to ditch Honda as it genuinely looks like with equal power they would have been with the Top 3 teams over these past few races. I think if they can deal with the transition to Renault power without upsetting their aero concept too much they could spring a few surprises next year if Renault can get close enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

We don't have to reconcile it. People say all sorts of things in public that aren't necessarily a reflection of their private thoughts. And even if they are, they don't have to be immutable indefinitely. Don't confuse PR with openness.

There has to be a reason for Max to re-sign now, when he doesn't have to commit this early. So something in that contract has to be more beneficial to him.

Dollars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Didn't really know where to put this but here will do as its about McLaren and also why Alonso may seem convinced about McLarens potential next year.

Rough translation is Honda are 80bhp down on Mercedes in Q3 which costs 1.7/1.8s in laptime at CoTA. Alonso was behind Lewis by 1.9 in Austin.

We also had a tweet showing that Alonso was quickest through T10 in Malaysia a few weeks ago. There's been good noises from AMuS about how McLaren work their tyres all year as well.

Credit Dan Wells for this YouTube comparison from Austin which is great. Shows where Alonso misses out to Lewis..

Anyway I thought it was interesting but not enough for a new thread. It could explain why McLaren felt they needed to ditch Honda as it genuinely looks like with equal power they would have been with the Top 3 teams over these past few races. I think if they can deal with the transition to Renault power without upsetting their aero concept too much they could spring a few surprises next year if Renault can get close enough.

I think most of us would like to see McLaren back up nearer the pointy end of the grid especially with Alonso in the mix were he deserves to be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:56 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

I think most of us would like to see McLaren back up nearer the pointy end of the grid especially with Alonso in the mix were he deserves to be.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:58 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Dollars.

Quite possibly. Quite possibly other things, too, like building a team around him, for instance. You're quite quick with the assumptions but you don't actually know

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Dollars.

Quite possibly. Quite possibly other things, too, like building a team around him, for instance. You're quite quick with the assumptions but you don't actually know

$30M for 3 years + bonuses has been mooted.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:00 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Here here. I think we'll have that 2012-like season that we've been hoping for next season. It's already become quite close between the top three and I think McLaren will be in the mix next season (and possibly Renault).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:04 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Dollars.

Yeah of course they are going to pay arguably the hottest talent in the sport a stonking wage, although $30M for three years isn't exactly breathtaking by some standards these days. And as I said, it's possible that he chose for the money, in much the same way that many drivers have done so in the past. But you can't make the assumption that the reason he extended was because of the money, because you have nothing to base that on

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Dollars.

Yeah of course they are going to pay arguably the hottest talent in the sport a stonking wage, although $30M for three years isn't exactly breathtaking by some standards these days. And as I said, it's possible that he chose for the money, in much the same way that many drivers have done so in the past. But you can't make the assumption that the reason he extended was because of the money, because you have nothing to base that on

Well he's going to be paid a lot more than his original contract that went to 2019, and win bonuses can ramp that up, I believe that Vettel was on a similar contract when he was at Red Bull?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:13 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Dollars.

Well he's going to be paid a lot more than his original contract that went to 2019, and win bonuses can ramp that up, I believe that Vettel was on a similar contract when he was at Red Bull?

I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing your assumption that that's the reason for him re-signing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:17 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing your assumption that that's the reason for him re-signing

It's a good reason for him to extend his contract by only 1 year, the third year basically pays $20M plus 3 years of bonuses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It's a good reason for him to extend his contract by only 1 year, the third year basically pays $20M plus 3 years of bonuses.

I'm getting the feeling you don't understand what I'm saying. Being a potentially valid reason doesn't automatically make it the reason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:19 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Here here. I think we'll have that 2012-like season that we've been hoping for next season. It's already become quite close between the top three and I think McLaren will be in the mix next season (and possibly Renault).

Stop that, you're making me salivate

FA#14