planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Max said that he gets a penalty point added to his license because of this - is that a standard procedure for 5 second penalties?

I think the penalty was harsh but fair, but a penalty point for that? I don't get this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 pm 

zaar wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Max said that he gets a penalty point added to his license because of this - is that a standard procedure for 5 second penalties?

Although I think the penalty was harsh but fair, but a penalty point for that? I don't get that.

me neither. Seems really disproportionate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 pm 

'I hope no fans come to this race next season.'

Super mature Max Verstappen, ladies and gentlemen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:34 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:

He is bringing sport in disrepute. Spoiled arrogant brat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 pm 

I didn't mind Max calling the steward an idiot TBH, not advisable but understandable, however, to say "I hope no-one turns up next year" was wrong. Its not Austin's fault and like the presentation or not they are promoting it to be their Grand Prix, they deserve a good attendance.

GingerFurball wrote:

Wow....what an egotistical Pr%$#@$.

I've lost all respect for him.

Lt. Drebin wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

What an absolute brat he is. He's 20 years old, and acts like a teenager.

EDIT: I'll add some actual content to my post as well:

I can't understand how Horner, Max and also his father Jos, who posted some stupid things to Twitter about the issue, cannot understand why this penalty had to be given. I mean, Kimi defended the inside. Some said earlier that Kimi pushed Max wide, no, Kimi didn't leave room on the inside (which he didn't have to, because Max wasn't yet along side him). Yes, Kimi could have closed the inside a bit more maybe, but he didn't, because he thought Max understands the rules of the game, which he clearly doesn't.

If there would have been no penalty, every driver would do this, whenever they can, and defending drivers would have no chance to know, how much of the inside had to be blocked in order to successfully defend.

All this being said, I will put some blame to FIA. They should've enforced the track limits a lot more this weekend. If they had, maybe Max wouldn't even tried this move, who knows.

But Max, Horner, Jos.... Please grow up, you're embarrassing yourself.

Last edited by Sappher on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
I didn't mind Max calling the steward an idiot TBH, not advisable but understandable, however, to say "I hope no-one turns up next year" was wrong. Its not Austin's fault and like the presentation or not they are promoting it to be their Grand Prix, they deserve a good attendance.

It was an excellent race, a real showcase for the USA about how good Formula One can be. Even a few lead changes.

Max needs to have the book thrown at him and HARD.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:41 pm 

Sappher wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

He acts like an 8 year old. My son is a teen and he would be miles ahead of self centered Verstappen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 pm 

It seems that the penalty very nearly didn't make a difference. Kimi had taken his foot off the gas and finished 4s down the road! If he'd backed off just a little bit more he may not have been on the podium either way...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:44 pm 

Sappher wrote:

Really puts what Ron did to Lewis into perspective. He didn't really start being bratty until 2011/2012 at the tender age of 26.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:45 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Which other driver left the track with all 4 wheels and made a pass?

Bottas over Ricardo early in the race and then Bottas also did it to Verstappen - IIRC Vettle did it to Bottas when he squeezed between him and Vandoorne.....

PS (added) - NBCSN will reply the race @ 8PM, check it out again then..... :thumbup:

Last edited by F1nut on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:46 pm 

F1nut wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Bottas over Ricardo early in the race and then Bottas also did it to Verstappen - IIRC Vettle did it to Bottas when he squeezed between him and Vandoorne.....

Vettel stayed on the track for that one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:47 pm 

F1nut wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

I'm not sure, as I haven't looked at the replay, but... As I saw it in the race, didn't Ricciardo push Bottas wide? I thought Bottas had every right to come back.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:48 pm 

Horner trying to shame the steward, maybe he should make all the rules?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:50 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:

Didn't you know that it's the Max Verstappen show?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:52 pm 

Haha, seeing Jos Verstappen's Twitter, I know understand why Max acts like a child. His father is just as bad!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:52 pm 

Fiki wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:
Gotta start putting barriers on the insides of corners if they don't want the drivers to go there. I think the whole idea of track limits is a farce. You can't enforce a no go zone with a white line. I don't care what they do on the outside of the corners but unless they make the track out of something they can't drive on, they're going to have to put something vertical there.
PS, who were the stewards today?
Mika Salo was the driver-steward. And I don't understand fans who find track limits a farce. Even I know that football uses white lines, and they have no problem enforcing them.
Actually, football does have problems enforcing limits defined by white lines which is why goal line technology was brought in.
I mean that the idea of making a track with room on the inside, that it's totally possible to drive on and then telling drivers they can only go up to where there's a white line that I'm not even sure they can be looking at or even see, seems farcical to me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:53 pm 

F1nut wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

PS (added) - NBCSN will reply the race @ 8PM, check it out again then..... :thumbup:

No you will find that Ricciardo went off the track to pass Bottas first so Bottas did likewise to get the place back.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:54 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Horner trying to shame the steward, maybe he should make all the rules?

Horner: "It's wrong. We'll have a look at it, but for me it was fair, hard racing."

So, he did not look at it closely, needs to look again, but he already knows that his driver was driving fairly. What a joke he is. Toto Wolf and Ferrari guys are much more professionally dealing with such things.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:55 pm 

Sappher wrote:
I'm not sure, as I haven't looked at the replay, but... As I saw it in the race, didn't Ricciardo push Bottas wide? I thought Bottas had every right to come back.

Yes, I believe Ricardo did play hardball, but Bottas took advantage of the run-off area to come back on track ahead of Daniel.

As noted/added above IF you are in the US - NBCSN will reply the race @ 8PM, check it out again then...... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Biffa wrote:
Oh well doesn't matter so much, great move by Max, unlucky, (possibly slightly unfair decision?) but probably correct outcome. But we’ll still be talking about Max rather than Kimi going forward.
Slightly unfair? Going off track to make a pass is not slightly unfair. It's a clear breach of the rules.

Well yes Fiki, but my comment was in terms of other people doing exactly the same thing, I would much have preferred everyone being subject to the same rules. Is that not a sensible position?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 pm 

pokerman wrote:
F1nut wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

No you will find that Ricciardo went off the track to pass Bottas first so Bottas did likewise to get the place back.

Well then that adds another "incident" to Herb's question, now doesn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:03 pm 

Max’ reaction was childish, buit understandable in the heat of the moment.
Fair or not, I think we all agree FIA are killing the sport like this. A heroic drive rewarded with a last turn overtake for podium finish, fans loving every second of it. Just like our US friends like it. And then... in come the FIA morons to spoil the moment.

Why not just wait till after the weekend?? You think Kimi actually cared if he was on that podium or not?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:11 pm 

pokerman wrote:
F1nut wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Ricciardo stayed on track when he attempted to pass on lap 2.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 pm 

Why is Lewis’ brother in the centre of the team picture?

Knuppel1983 wrote:

Nonsense. I've seen many athletes lose at the very last second and had accomplishments snatched away with them. None acted as petulant and spoiled as baby Max. Recall Massa after he lost his WDC to Hamilton in Brazil. He did rant and rave look a drooling moron? No, he did not. He was all class. Max is an embarrassment to the sport and I dearly hope that the FIA throws the book at him as hard as possible.

Knuppel1983 wrote:
Fair or not, I think we all agree FIA are killing the sport like this. A heroic drive rewarded with a last turn overtake for podium finish, fans loving every second of it. Just like our US friends like it. And then... in come the FIA morons to spoil the moment.

It's ridiculous to reward brazen rule breakers. I cannot reject your outrageous suggestion enough. Max is the moron for failing to heed the rules. Not the FIA.

Knuppel1983 wrote:

Why not just wait till after the weekend?? You think Kimi actually cared if he was on that podium or not?

People hate retroactive changes to the race result and the podium not being the correct drivers. It's happened before and there have been a lot of complaints that they didn't sort it out beforehand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:16 pm 

Well i disagree. This is worse.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:24 pm 

It's always funny to read the forum after situations like this, the culture clash is tangible.

In the Netherlands, you always speak your mind, especially in the heat of the moment. This is seen as a great quality. Being polite, political is seen as weak, dishonest even.
So when the interview with Max was shown the tv studio started roaring and applauding when they could see that he was angry and didn't try to hide it.

Then I come here and it is seen as childish and immature. It's not an age thing, it's a culture thing. :) The very thing some people don't like here is his biggest strength in many Dutch eyes.

Edit: That being said, the penalty was of course justified. A bit more consistency wouldn't hurt though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:26 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Knuppel1983 wrote:

Nonsense. I've seen many athletes lose at the very last second and had accomplishments snatched away with them. None acted as petulant and spoiled as baby Max. Recall Massa after he lost his WDC to Hamilton in Brazil. He did rant and rave look a drooling moron? No, he did not. He was all class. Max is an embarrassment to the sport and I dearly hope that the FIA throws the book at him as hard as possible.

Knuppel1983 wrote:

It's ridiculous to reward brazen rule breakers. I cannot reject your outrageous suggestion enough. Max is the moron for failing to heed the rules. Not the FIA.

How many that are barely more than teenagers?

And Max isn't a moron. He is one of the most successful twenty year olds on the planet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:31 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Knuppel1983 wrote:

Knuppel1983 wrote:

And Max isn't a moron. He is one of the most successful twenty year olds on the planet.

All that can disappear in the blink of an eye with this immature attitude and temper.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:33 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
It's always funny to read the forum after situations like this, the culture clash is tangible.

In the Netherlands, you always speak your mind, especially in the heat of the moment. This is seen as a great quality. Being polite, political is seen as weak, dishonest even.
So when the interview with Max was shown the tv studio started roaring and applauding when they could see that he was angry and didn't try to hide it.

Then I come here and it is seen as childish and immature. It's not an age thing, it's a culture thing. :) The very thing some people don't like here is his biggest strength in many Dutch eyes.

Edit: That being said, the penalty was of course justified. A bit more consistency wouldn't hurt though.

For the record, I really have no problem with Max. Actually I tend to give all people a lot of leeway. We're all prone to "errors" and often it's just misunderstandings. There is a certain meta people tend to need to adjust to when they are in their working environments and one can't be oblivious, but at the same time so many of us are just so vicious with our judgement when we don't need to be.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:34 pm 

For me cutting the apex/inside of a corner has always been a different kettle of fish to running out wide into or out of a corner, even though both are technically off the track. Simply put one shortens the track and one lengthens it, even if you may gain in other respects by running wide. If their going to enforce track limits on a case by case basis I think this is something they probably take into account.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 pm 

Am I the only one who thinks Max didn’t have all 4 wheels off the road?

Maybe I need to see more angles but it looked from the outside view he did not have all four off. Looks like he did on the on board but you cant see the rears.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Knuppel1983 wrote:

Knuppel1983 wrote:

All that can disappear in the blink of an eye with this immature attitude and temper.

Well no it can't no matter how immature he is the success still stands doesn't it?

And I'll hold my shock at a 20 year old man acting "immature".

Why would you expect a 20 year old to act like a 30 year old?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:36 pm 

lamo wrote:

Maybe I need to see more angles but it looked from the outside view he did not have all four off. Looks like he did on the on board but you cant see the rears.

https://twitter.com/FisiFan91/status/922206734973890564
I mean I suppose you still can't see the rear wheels, but he'd have to be seriously crabbing to have them on the track :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:41 pm 

wolfticket wrote:
lamo wrote:

I mean I suppose you still can't see the rear wheels, but he'd have to be seriously crabbing to have them on the track :)

Are his rear off track here? That’s my points.
From the outside view all four wheels aren’t off at one time to my eyes. In fact, judging by the radius of that turn and his car is straight, his rears are likely on the track at the time of that picture.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:44 pm 

lamo wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
lamo wrote:

Are his rear off track here? That’s my points.
From the outside view all four wheels aren’t off at one time to my eyes. In fact, judging by the radius of that turn and his car is straight, his rears are likely on the track at the time of that picture.

With Raikkonen's rear onboard it's pretty clear: https://twitter.com/mosaic_kun/status/9 ... 5889915904
Pause about 0:09 and front and rear are comfortably off at the same time.

Last edited by wolfticket on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:45 pm 

This was turn 1....

https://twitter.com/Cla_Cottingham/stat ... 4460793856