planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:28 pm 

@MDS

Excuse my poor written part about the rules, yes this is clear to the drivers. But if they are so clear why the inconsistency? If they get that right and use the rules to enhance the experience for the viewers and to make it clear to the drivers what they can or can't do there is no problem.

Looks like many drivers of the past have a different view then some members here on the forum. Not to say what's right or wrong but we all benefit from equality.

Everybody is the same and some situations are difficult to judge but transparancy will help a lot here. Why others don't get a penalty while Max does when he goes for an overtake that was a spectacular one?

Do you really think others are seeing it wrong when asking for consistency when giving these penalties? Besides the fact if this was a penalty or not. That is what's really going on here.

Last edited by Verstappen33 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:56 pm 

Something I find hilarious is that this seems to be one of the biggest talking points this year. Verstappen's penalty for clearly breaking the rules. Can we not get over it? It's not that bad on this forum, but on F1 fanatic, there is a page with Horner's and Verstappen's comments about the incident and there are over 250 comments! That is very nearly the page with the most comments on that site since when Rosberg announced his retirement. Is this really the biggest thing in F1 since then? :D And then there has also been a poll created there about how you judge the penalty and there is nearly 100 comments there too already. The positive thing about this penalty is it really has triggered some comments!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:04 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Well all I saw was the way he went out of the podium room on Channel 4. At the time, they didn't show anything else because of adverts. Now I am hearing the other things he's saying, I'm starting to think he's being unreasonable. And people comparing it to other drivers seem to be missing something. A lot that they are comparing are drivers going quite wide on the outside of a corner. Verstappen cut a huge amount of the corner off on the inside which surely is a much bigger advantage. To me it is clear why this and not any other drivers going off track got investigated and got given a penalty. Even the guys on Channel 4 were unsure why Bottas and Ricciardo were under investigation. They thought it was great racing by both.

cut the corner by a huge amount?

That's what he did basically.

He cut the corner. I think "a huge amount" is an odd way to describe a cars width.

He couldn't cut it anymore without going onto the grass, he cut it as much as he could.

Plenty of drivers have cut corners and gone on the grass. See Hamilton at turn 1 in Mexico last year. Now that's what I would call a huge amount.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

That's what he did basically.

He cut the corner. I think "a huge amount" is an odd way to describe a cars width.

He couldn't cut it anymore without going onto the grass, he cut it as much as he could.

Plenty of drivers have cut corners and gone on the grass. See Hamilton at turn 1 in Mexico last year. Now that's what I would call a huge amount.

Did he pass another driver, as you pointed out Vettel ran off the track after he got passed Hamilton.

But what Verstappen did was blatant corner cutting, now this may be allowed if a driver has been deemed to have been forced off the track but that wasn't the case with Verstappen.

Maybe the rules will be reviewed again to facilitate Verstappen like moving under braking?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:28 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Did he pass another driver, as you pointed out Vettel ran off the track after he got passed Hamilton.

Not relevant. Just an example of cutting a corner "hugely
"
But what Verstappen did was blatant corner cutting, now this may be allowed if a driver has been deemed to have been forced off the track but that wasn't the case with Verstappen.

Maybe the rules will be reviewed again to facilitate Verstappen like moving under braking?

Way to twist reality. That rule was only brought in in response to Verstappen. They found everyone does it so the rule was unworkable. If they want to help Verstappen then why bring the rule in in the first place?

Verstappen, rightly, got a penalty. I am not disputing that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm 

Verstappen33 wrote:
Four wheels of yes that is a penalty. Nobody is talking about that being wrong, it's the inconsistency of the FIA when giving these penalties. They never asked the drivers in question for their opinion. Something they would do in the future as has been told.

Mario Andretti says Max got pushed outside so he had to avoid it by going over the line. Believe whatever you want but everybody can see that the FIA needs to be more clear about the rules and execute them as such.
The rules couldn't be clearer, at least on the point in question.

And I'm confident that if Mario sees the "all angles" video, he will realise that Max moved beyond the white line when Kimi was leaving him room to keep his left wheels well and truly on track.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:52 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
That was not going off track mikey. That was him looking for the beach. :D (As in "to beach one's F1 car in the gravel traps".)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:56 pm 

Verstappen33 wrote:
Excuse my poor written part about the rules, yes this is clear to the drivers. But if they are so clear why the inconsistency?

As I said, I'm not sure there's that much inconsistency. There are HUGE inconsistencies when dealing with exceeding track limits when not overtaking, that much I give you, even to the ridiculous point as to Whiting explaining ahead of each weekend for which corners track limits can be exceeded and for which not. But that's when not overtaking - when it comes to exceeding the track limits to gain a place then they are generally quite consistent.

Quote:
Do you really think others are seeing it wrong when asking for consistency when giving these penalties?

I might have missed it but overtakes completed by exceeding track limits will normally be punished.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:48 pm 

Verstappen33 wrote:
@MDS

Excuse my poor written part about the rules, yes this is clear to the drivers. But if they are so clear why the inconsistency? If they get that right and use the rules to enhance the experience for the viewers and to make it clear to the drivers what they can or can't do there is no problem.

Looks like many drivers of the past have a different view then some members here on the forum. Not to say what's right or wrong but we all benefit from equality.

Everybody is the same and some situations are difficult to judge but transparancy will help a lot here. Why others don't get a penalty while Max does when he goes for an overtake that was a spectacular one?

Do you really think others are seeing it wrong when asking for consistency when giving these penalties? Besides the fact if this was a penalty or not. That is what's really going on here.

What inconsistency?

Overtaking someone off the track is pretty much always followed up by the driver being told over the radio to give the place back, drivers that don't comply get penalised.

If anything, Verstappen's punishment was lenient, I'm sure Grosjean got a drive through in Hungary 2013 and Vettel got a 20 second penalty when he took to the runoff area to pass Button at Hockenheim in 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:52 pm 

I am so disappointed in Vettel's defence against Hamilton. He was on Raikkonen's level there, caught napping.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:37 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
It's always funny to read the forum after situations like this, the culture clash is tangible.

In the Netherlands, you always speak your mind, especially in the heat of the moment. This is seen as a great quality. Being polite, political is seen as weak, dishonest even.
So when the interview with Max was shown the tv studio started roaring and applauding when they could see that he was angry and didn't try to hide it.

Then I come here and it is seen as childish and immature. It's not an age thing, it's a culture thing. :) The very thing some people don't like here is his biggest strength in many Dutch eyes.

Edit: That being said, the penalty was of course justified. A bit more consistency wouldn't hurt though.

Well i'm Dutch (I suspect you are also). And I hate the way Dutch tv reports F1.
There's just no difference between the Max-fanboy on his couch, and the Dutch commentators. Speaking your mind is good, but when Max says he hopes fans won't come to the US GP anymore, that's just immature. I'd rather watch Sky Sports, who at least try to stay objective. (but unfortunately i'm stuck with Ziggo Sport).

Last edited by Knuppel1983 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:43 pm 

@mds

Thanks for your thoughts. It's always nice to read some comments that are well put and thought out. However, I do feel that thete are many drivers who did not get the same penalty by doing the same action, going off track while overtaking. There are many images of different drivers doing this during the US Grand Prix

GingerFurball

Looking back this race you see many drivers going off track with four wheels while doing an overtake. Why that was allowed and Max his action on Kimi wasn't is the thing people talk about and want to have this cleared up for future races to come.

It's like being in class and the teacher only gives you some extra home work for cheating while he saw the others do it too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:51 pm 

Knuppel1983 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
It's always funny to read the forum after situations like this, the culture clash is tangible.

In the Netherlands, you always speak your mind, especially in the heat of the moment. This is seen as a great quality. Being polite, political is seen as weak, dishonest even.
So when the interview with Max was shown the tv studio started roaring and applauding when they could see that he was angry and didn't try to hide it.

Then I come here and it is seen as childish and immature. It's not an age thing, it's a culture thing. :) The very thing some people don't like here is his biggest strength in many Dutch eyes.

Edit: That being said, the penalty was of course justified. A bit more consistency wouldn't hurt though.

Well i'm Dutch (I suspect you are to). And I hate the way Dutch tv reports F1.
There's just no difference between the Max-fanboy on his couch, and the Dutch commentators. Speaking your mind is good, but when Max says he hopes fans won't come to the US GP anymore, that's just immature. I'd rather watch Sky Sports, who at least try to stay objective. (but unfortunately i'm stuck with Ziggo Sport).

Can some of you explain what the use of the word "mongool" means in your Dutch culture? That's the name Max called the steward. Is it mocking mongoloid people or is being mongol considered low, or something else.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:58 pm 

You can say the word like saying someone is an idiot.

A "mongool" is a person with down syndrome. The word is this context was of course not to be disrespectfull to someone with the syndrome. Could he have chosen a better word? Yes absolutely. People with children who have down syndrome can be offended, some who have them are not. They understand Max is not saying anything to their children in particular and agree on his frustration.

If a person wants he or she can make a bigger deal about something than it is. It depends on the individual.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:05 pm 

Grosjean was asked to 'Shut up' by his race engineer when Grosjean was hesitant to retire the car. Here's the transcript:

From Romain Grosjean -
Mate what was that? Seriously. I don’t know if I… I think we should retire the car. I think we should retire the car, no point in going to the end. I can see the whole [censored by FOM] left tyre. What are we doing, guys? Seriously.

To Romain Grosjean -
Shut up.

From Romain Grosjean -
You’re not paying your life here. The tyre is completley gone.

To Romain Grosjean -
OK dude so we’ll box to retire the car, retire the car. Box now. It’s the last lap anyway, man, but just bring it in easy.

From Romain Grosjean -
I can go the chequered flag if you want, but…

To Romain Grosjean -
Yeah we’ll just take the chequer.

From Romain Grosjean -
OK.

https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/10/23/grosjean-was-told-to-shut-up-in-late-race-radio-row-at-haas/

He can never stop moaning, can he????? His helmet design was stating otherwise.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 pm 

Verstappen33 wrote:

GingerFurball

Looking back this race you see many drivers going off track with four wheels while doing an overtake. Why that was allowed and Max his action on Kimi wasn't is the thing people talk about and want to have this cleared up for future races to come.

It's like being in class and the teacher only gives you some extra home work for cheating while he saw the others do it too.

When?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 pm 

Verstappen33 wrote:
You can say the word like saying someone is an idiot.

A "mongool" is a person with down syndrome. The word is this context was of course not to be disrespectfull to someone with the syndrome. Could he have chosen a better word? Yes absolutely. People with children who have down syndrome can be offended, some who have them are not. They understand Max is not saying anything to their children in particular and agree on his frustration.

If a person wants he or she can make a bigger deal about something than it is. It depends on the individual.

Thank you for reply.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:08 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Well all I saw was the way he went out of the podium room on Channel 4. At the time, they didn't show anything else because of adverts. Now I am hearing the other things he's saying, I'm starting to think he's being unreasonable. And people comparing it to other drivers seem to be missing something. A lot that they are comparing are drivers going quite wide on the outside of a corner. Verstappen cut a huge amount of the corner off on the inside which surely is a much bigger advantage. To me it is clear why this and not any other drivers going off track got investigated and got given a penalty. Even the guys on Channel 4 were unsure why Bottas and Ricciardo were under investigation. They thought it was great racing by both.

I think so yes and I don't think I'm the only one. On the video, you can see that when he's off track on the inside of the corner, you can see a large wide chunk of the kerb on his left on a right hand corner! If that isn't cutting the corner by a huge amount, then I don't know what is...

For example, many said that in Spa 2015, Maldoano cut this corner massively: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxNC2-YZBPA

At 2 minutes. Not this isn't an overtake, and it does lead to a retirement. But him doing this seemed to trigger loads to say he was trying to cut the corner. Even if he didn't retire, he'll have gained nothing like the advantage Verstappen gained in yesterdays race. I still stand by the fact that I think Verstappen cut the corner by a huge amount and that penalty was certainly deserved as he gained an advantage from doing so as well as going beyond track limits.

TBF I think it depends on the context. When you say cut hugely I'm thinking of Hamilton at turn 1 in Mexico last year not over the line by a meter.

I find it a bit odd when you describe that as huge but then talk about drivers going "quite" wide.... I saw drivers defending and gaining positions by going further off the track on the outside than Verstappen did on the inside.

Either way, it's a moot point. The penalty was deserved and had to be applied. To not would set an awful precedent. I do understand why Verstappen may feel a bit persecuted though.

I don't really get why he would be, tbh. There's a big difference between drifting wide and doing what Max did, which was cut the corner inside the apex, and not by a small amount, either. I'm sure it was the adrenaline (and probably youth) talking, but if he looks at the footage after his blood pressure has come down he'd have to see the penalty made sense

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:30 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Grosjean was asked to 'Shut up' by his race engineer when Grosjean was hesitant to retire the car. Here's the transcript:

From Romain Grosjean -
Mate what was that? Seriously. I don’t know if I… I think we should retire the car. I think we should retire the car, no point in going to the end. I can see the whole [censored by FOM] left tyre. What are we doing, guys? Seriously.

To Romain Grosjean -
Shut up.

From Romain Grosjean -
You’re not paying your life here. The tyre is completley gone.

To Romain Grosjean -
OK dude so we’ll box to retire the car, retire the car. Box now. It’s the last lap anyway, man, but just bring it in easy.

From Romain Grosjean -
I can go the chequered flag if you want, but…

To Romain Grosjean -
Yeah we’ll just take the chequer.

From Romain Grosjean -
OK.

https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/10/23/grosjean-was-told-to-shut-up-in-late-race-radio-row-at-haas/

He can never stop moaning, can he????? His helmet design was stating otherwise.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a French/surrendering joke here somewhere

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:41 pm 

I look at this from the perspective of a motocrosser as well as a lifelong F1 fan, our tracks in motocross are defined by posts and tapes rather than white lines and if you take a corner on the wrong side of the post to make a pass on a competitor you've short cut the corner and effectively cheated, if caught the penalty is disqualification.

I'm not saying Max should be disqualified, far from it, but he exceeded the circuit boundary making the overtake, didn't give the place back so therefore the stewards had zero choice. Drivers should perhaps consistently attempt to stay within the permitted area and accept a penalty if they fail rather than question whether the stewards are being inconsistent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm 

Missed Apex Podcast on the US Grand Prix

Lot of interesting stuff here. They also talk about Vettel slowing down at the end to give Kimi DRS and appear to agree that the tactics made the difference between Max P2/3 and Max P4 - a point of contention.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:43 pm 

Athletics step out of lane DSQ, Sailing miss a mark re-round the mark, Kayak miss a gate 50 sec penalty, Skiing miss a gate DSQ it is the same for nearly all sports you have to follow the course.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Athletics step out of lane DSQ, Sailing miss a mark re-round the mark, Kayak miss a gate 50 sec penalty, Skiing miss a gate DSQ it is the same for nearly all sports you have to follow the course.

Exactly. Nobody should be angry that Max got a penalty. We should all be angry that nobody else did.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm 

Invade wrote:

Lot of interesting stuff here. They also talk about Vettel slowing down at the end to give Kimi DRS and appear to agree that the tactics made the difference between Max P2/3 and Max P4 - a point of contention.

Yeah just watched it myself, they had a go at Perez saying that he basically was bluffing when he said he had more pace than Ocon and the team in future would not believe him.

They also had a laugh when Kvyat was introduced as the torpedo something I meant to mention on here but forgot, apparently though Kvyat has adopted the name and has it on his helmet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:

Yeah just watched it myself, they had a go at Perez saying that he basically was bluffing when he said he had more pace than Ocon and the team in future would not believe him.

They also had a laugh when Kvyat was introduced as the torpedo something I meant to mention on here but forgot, apparently though Kvyat has adopted the name and has it on his helmet.

My impression of Perez this year though has absolutely plummeted. His performance is still fine on the whole but psychologically he has imploded this year and has been too obstinate and unreasonable in his driving — and I'd say too desperate. He doesn't have the stability to be in a WDC contending seat as he's not that good anyway and he'd probably unsettle the team. Even him being all sorry to Charlie Whiting after one of the driver briefings was quite revealing. He's too easy to unsettle and has had a woeful season from a psychological standpoint and it's been quite the eye-opener. Harsh?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 pm 

Every 'I'm quicker than Esteban' whine should be met with 'remember Canada.' Where Perez defended as if his life depended on it against Ocon, ignored team orders, cost his team a podium yet rolled out the red carpet for the Ferraris.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
Every 'I'm quicker than Esteban' whine should be met with 'remember Canada.' Where Perez defended as if his life depended on it against Ocon, ignored team orders, cost his team a podium yet rolled out the red carpet for the Ferraris.

The defending included forcing Ocon partially off the track, Perez reaped his bed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:10 am 

GingerFurball wrote:
Verstappen33 wrote:

GingerFurball

When?
One example was Sainz on Perez. He took turn 18 at a shallow angle on completing the overtake and, as a result, went wide between 18 and 19. It may well be argued that he didn't gain an advantage from it and several drivers went wide there by themselves with no sanction (including during quali). I do wonder, though, whether Carlos would have stayed on-circuit if he had been more circumspect (and probably compromised his chances of completing the overtake on Sergio). There are other examples as well but I'm not going to trawl them all up - simply state that Max's example on Kimi was a pretty clear-cut case of gaining an advantage by going off-circuit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 am 

Knuppel1983 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Well i'm Dutch (I suspect you are also). And I hate the way Dutch tv reports F1.

They're not trying very hard :lol:
There was a trademark Sky Sports objective moment in Austin qualy where Hamilton went P1 by a few hundreths and they said something along the lines of "and Hamilton SMASHES the pole time!" and after literally a few seconds when Verstappen went faster still the comment was a casual "Verstappen goes P1".

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 am 

Covalent wrote:
Knuppel1983 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

There was a trademark Sky Sports objective moment in Austin qualy where Hamilton went P1 by a few hundreths and they said something along the lines of "and Hamilton SMASHES the pole time!" and after literally a few seconds when Verstappen went faster still the comment was a casual "Verstappen goes P1".

You may have that backwards. In Q1 Max put in a 1,34.899, which was much faster than anyone else at that point and then Lewis beat him with a 1,34.822.
Nothing happened in Q2 or Q3 which comes close to what you are describing?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:47 am 

Laz_T800 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Knuppel1983 wrote:

You may have that backwards. In Q1 Max put in a 1,34.899, which was much faster than anyone else at that point and then Lewis beat him with a 1,34.822.
Nothing happened in Q2 or Q3 which comes close to what you are describing?

Ah you may be right, but either way Max's time was barely mentioned while Lewis "SMASHED" it by going a few hundreths faster.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:04 pm 

Maybe you guys need to watch Dutch Ziggo Sport then. And we will watch Sky F1.
Or we all watch the German channel which certainly won’t be Dutch or English biased :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:07 pm 

Knuppel1983 wrote:
Maybe you guys need to watch Dutch Ziggo Sport then. And we will watch Sky F1.
Or we all watch the German channel which certainly won’t be Dutch or English biased :P

God, no. I'm saddled with RTL and it's atrocious. I swear the ad breaks last ten minutes and by the time they show the race again you haven't got a clue what's going on anymore. It should be built into any contract that races should be shown ad-free IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:11 am 

Did anyone else notice this during the race? Surely had me scratching my head:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:14 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Did anyone else notice this during the race? Surely had me scratching my head:

I did! Immediately after the race I reviewed the recording, even before I checked the footage about Max's failed overtake.
I wondered what kind of bird it was, and, initially, how high it would have been flying. Because a birdstrike on a helicopter could be quite something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:44 am 

Just a question - if the word "virtual" is correctly used there, then what exactly is it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:46 am 

Yeah I noticed it and assumed it was a radio controlled bird.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:46 am 

mds wrote:
Just a question - if the word "virtual" is correctly used there, then what exactly is it?

Excerpt from the article below:
'F1 often uses CGI to add in sponsor logos and messages on the track, but this is the first time such an object has – one that moves – has been added to a live broadcast.'

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/16198

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:47 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
mds wrote:

Excerpt from the article below:
'F1 often uses CGI to add in sponsor logos and messages on the track, but this is the first time such an object has – one that moves – has been added to a live broadcast.'

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/16198

I want to see the T-Rex eating Alonso next time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:08 pm 

Cheeky Hamilton: