planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Who had the best starts?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:47 pm 

F1 - The Greatest Starts Top 30

Here's one list, and it's amazing how frequently Alonso features.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:13 pm 

Alonso really is a starting hero.
Was this a 'logical' list by the way? I mean, is the 'no.1' the best? Because halfway through where some real gems ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:28 pm 

Alonso's the best I've seen at the starts but Max this year really has taken a huge step forward and I think on balance he's been the best starter this particular year.

Loved that video. The Renault and McLaren doubles, Senna at Germany in the Lotus, Alesi in Silverstone and Alonso's two at Malaysia were the highlights for me.

Missing Alonso's at Spain in 2013 though.

Last edited by Lotus49 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:31 pm 

For sure, Max has had some killer starts this year - every bit as good as Alonso. I think he'll keep it up too. In my time watching I've seen nobody better than Alonso.

Fernando and Max are real sharks off the line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 pm 

Alesi was often a good starter as was Coulthard in his earlier years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:10 pm 

Within the rules, maybe Bottas has had the best start this year alone! :D But in terms of positions gained from your start, I think Verstappen has to have had some of the best this year. Haven't been following F1 for that long so don't know if there have been far better ones in the past.

Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Within the rules, maybe Bottas has had the best start this year alone! :D But in terms of positions gained from your start, I think verstappen has to have had some of the best this year. Haven't been followign F! for that long so don't know if there have been far better ones in the past.

How long?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:45 pm 

Invade wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Within the rules, maybe Bottas has had the best start this year alone! :D But in terms of positions gained from your start, I think Verstappen has to have had some of the best this year. Haven't been following F1 for that long so don't know if there have been far better ones in the past.

How long?

To many, this really won't seem like long at all. The first season I actually followed the whole way through was 2014. But did watch it as far back as 2011 but often only watched a few races per season. I have a rough amoutn of knowledge about good drivers from the past but I couldn't say I know much at all. But I do know stuff from the hybrid era. Are you just interested or wondering why I have missed some really obvious starts that to most people won't have been long ago at all? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Invade wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Within the rules, maybe Bottas has had the best start this year alone! :D But in terms of positions gained from your start, I think verstappen has to have had some of the best this year. Haven't been followign F! for that long so don't know if there have been far better ones in the past.

How long?

To many, this really won't seem like long at all. The first season I actually followed the whole way through was 2014. But did watch it as far back as 2011 but often only watched a few races per season. I have a rough amoutn of knowledge about good drivers from the past but I couldn't say I know much at all. But I do know stuff from the hybrid era. Are you just interested or wondering why I have missed some really obvious starts that to most people won't have been long ago at all? :lol:

Well, you tend to have long and reasoned thoughts about the races so I assumed you were more of a long-time fan. I'm assuming you're quite a young chap then. I know you as the Bottas defender. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:52 pm 

Alonso, for me, is the best starter in the history of F1. He just consistently gains positions during that phase of the race. Max looks really strong in this area as well but we'll see if he can do it consistently for years the way that Alonso has.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:56 pm 

Excellent video, as illustrated by having the Trulli Belgium 1998 start I always bang-on about in discussions about best starts but nobody remembers at number 5 (and number 1 of my active F1 watching years) :)

Alonso is impressive though. If you extended it to best first laps he'd probably be there a lot too.