planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Bloodhound SSC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 am 

I'm not sure if this strictly classes as Motorsport but anyway for those that are interested, Bloodhound SSC runs for the first time today, starting at 12:30 UK time, live coverage can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FurX-CjOZ6Y

Post subject: Re: Bloodhound SSC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:31 am 
Site Admin

The Land Speed Record is an FIA sanctioned record, so I don't see any reason why the thread shouldn't remain in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 am 

Mod Aqua wrote:
The Land Speed Record is an FIA sanctioned record, so I don't see any reason why the thread shouldn't remain in this forum.

Thanks for that :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37 am 

I remember seeing posters for Thrust SSC up on the wall in our technology classrooms when I was at high school. They were projecting 850mph for it, but ended up at 763mph, let's hope that Bloodhound does meet its target because 1000+mph looks a lot more iconic than 900+mph

I'd have to check, but I guess that 237mph increase in the record might be the biggest single leaps between records? Looking back between the wikis it does seem to be, although it would need to set the 1000+ in it's first run above Thrust SSC's record as otherwise it's intermediate step will count as a separate entry.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:42 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I remember seeing posters for Thrust SSC up on the wall in our technology classrooms when I was at high school. They were projecting 850mph for it, but ended up at 763mph, let's hope that Bloodhound does meet its target because 1000+mph looks a lot more iconic than 900+mph

I'd have to check, but I guess that 237mph increase in the record might be the biggest single leaps between records? Looking back between the wikis it does seem to be, although it would need to set the 1000+ in it's first run above Thrust SSC's record as otherwise it's intermediate step will count as a separate entry.

The current plan is to go about 200 mph this week then next year take the car to South Africa (where the record attempts will take place) and increase the record to 800 mph and then in 2019 go for 1000 mph.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:09 am 

owenmahamilton wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

The current plan is to go about 200 mph this week then next year take the car to South Africa (where the record attempts will take place) and increase the record to 800 mph and then in 2019 go for 1000 mph.

Oh yeah, I know this is just a shakedown run, but I meant when they attempt to break the actual record. The step up from 800 to 1000 will be the biggest single increase if done in one jump.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:32 am 

Thanks for the link. Like many here I do apprecaiate fast shiney things.

BTW, Does anyone know if the Solid Rocket Booster on the back of the car is throttleable? Typically they are not so, if that's the case, once lit they can't be turned off. I could see some scenarios where you might want to reduce thrust before the SRB spent all it's fuel.

Update: Found this video explaining the basics of the rocket engine design and operation. Apparently it's a Hybrid rocket motor and it has an off switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsJQhKTt1og

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:14 pm 

Excellent

I literally saw your link as it was about to set off

Thanks!

Last edited by jiminwatford on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:50 pm 

That seemed like a very good first couple of runs to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:11 pm 

LBET wrote:
Thanks for the link. Like many here I do apprecaiate fast shiney things.

BTW, Does anyone know if the Solid Rocket Booster on the back of the car is throttleable? Typically they are not so, if that's the case, once lit they can't be turned off. I could see some scenarios where you might want to reduce thrust before the SRB spent all it's fuel.

Update: Found this video explaining the basics of the rocket engine design and operation. Apparently it's a Hybrid rocket motor and it has an off switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsJQhKTt1og

Even the hybrid rocket is amazing. For full thrust, fuel has to be pumped into the rocket at 40 liters PER SECOND. And just for that task, the car requires a separate Jaguar 5.0-litre supercharged V8 of 542 HP. At full power the jet will be providing 90kN of thrust and the rocket 120kN.

The web site for this amazing project is at: http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/project

http://www.bluebird-electric.net/bluebird_images/Malcolm_Campbell_Bluebird_World_Land_Speed_Record_Car.JPG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:15 pm 

Jeez, I was thinking of nipping down to watch this on Saturday. I'm only just round the corner. But not at £60 a ticket! £65 if you don't live in Cornwall. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:45 pm 

This will potentially put the cat amongst the pigeons.

The team are looking to replace the Jaguar V8 engine (which was originally an F1 Cosworth V8 engine) with an electric engine as it's believed it will be superior to the the naturally aspirated solution.

F1 engine replaced by electric motor in the most advanced car in the world:

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news/blood ... cal-future

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:18 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
This will potentially put the cat amongst the pigeons.

The team are looking to replace the Jaguar V8 engine (which was originally an F1 Cosworth V8 engine) with an electric engine as it's believed it will be superior to the the naturally aspirated solution.

F1 engine replaced by electric motor in the most advanced car in the world:

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news/blood ... cal-future

For their application they are probably correct that it's superior. This isn't an ICE for propulsion, it's a posh fuel pump...