planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:04 am 

SKY's intro was ok. The guy didn't have the right 'Voice' if you know what I mean.

He needs to sound more like this Sounds much more impressive IMO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:15 am 

Seanie wrote:
Lancaster wrote:
Hello folks - just wondering, has anyone else tried using Sky Go?

Wanted to watch the practice sessions from today , but nothing on there, only the F1 show (that hour where the slap-caked Georgie explains to imbeciles that British drivers like living in Monaco etc).

I can see them for the previous GPs - please don't tell me it takes them days to put them on, as what is the point of watching the practice/quali once the race has already finished? (Even as I type that I know I would watch them anyway)

You can only watch the races / sessions live.

Thats how I watch SSF1

Hmmm... I'm fairly sure when the deal first broke, they said that SKY Go would be like BBC iplayer, you'd be able to watch all the sessions whenever.
Bit of a shocker really :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:41 am 

Biffa wrote:
RickM wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
McNish is quality on SKY.

Ditto! Really knows his stuff and adds some great info.

Sky have really hit the nail on the head...they have FOUR former F1 drivers for this weekend on their bill:

- Brundle
- Hill
- Herbert
- McNish

Sorry but the BBC simply cant beat Sky's deep pockets, and its resulted in two types of shows:

BBC is for the 'casual fan' who doesn't really care what a blown diffuser is
SKY is for the 'proper fan', with detailed analysis, in-depth coverage with teams and drivers, etc.

:lol: And your post becomes meaningless when you come out with drivel like that...

No...it really doesn't.

I was comparing coverage quality, not viewing figurers or price. Sky's coverage covers more technical stuff, that is as obvious as the nose on your face. BBC's is more of a casual show.

You cant compare Eddie Jordan and DC to the above mentioned people that Sky have.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:05 pm 

RickM wrote:
Biffa wrote:
RickM wrote:
RunningMan wrote:

Sky have really hit the nail on the head...they have FOUR former F1 drivers for this weekend on their bill:

- Brundle
- Hill
- Herbert
- McNish

Sorry but the BBC simply cant beat Sky's deep pockets, and its resulted in two types of shows:

SKY is for the 'proper fan', with detailed analysis, in-depth coverage with teams and drivers, etc.

:lol: And your post becomes meaningless when you come out with drivel like that...

No...it really doesn't.

I was comparing coverage quality, not viewing figurers or price. Sky's coverage covers more technical stuff, that is as obvious as the nose on your face. BBC's is more of a casual show.

You cant compare Eddie Jordan and DC to the above mentioned people that Sky have.

I was specifically referring to your statement that Sky is for proper fans and BBC is for casual fans, I stand by that being drivel :-P (and a bit condescending to be honest).

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:18 pm 

Biffa wrote:
RickM wrote:
Biffa wrote:
RickM wrote:
RunningMan wrote:

- Brundle
- Hill
- Herbert
- McNish

No...it really doesn't.

I was specifically referring to your statement that Sky is for proper fans and BBC is for casual fans, I stand by that being drivel :-P (and a bit condescending to be honest).

Cheers

I'll try some clarification... The Sky coverage is for the proper fans. The BBC coverage is for the casual fans and those who haven't got the option of Sky.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:27 pm 

Murray Walker saying Go Go Go = win

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:48 pm 

rej1972 wrote:
Biffa wrote:
RickM wrote:
Biffa wrote:

No...it really doesn't.

Cheers

I'll try some clarification... The Sky coverage is for the proper fans. The BBC coverage is for the casual fans and those who haven't got the option of Sky.

That's clarification? If you (and RickM) mean Sky is aimed at proper fans and Beeb aimed at casual fans then fair enough (I don't have a particular opinion on that) but that's not what RickM said - he said sky is for proper fans, which implies that you are not a proper F1 fan if you don't watch it on Sky - and that is what I take exception to. If that's not what he meant then I am happy to retract my comments.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 pm 

Biffa wrote:
rej1972 wrote:
Biffa wrote:
RickM wrote:
Biffa wrote:

No...it really doesn't.

Cheers

That's clarification? If you (and RickM) mean Sky is aimed at proper fans and Beeb aimed at casual fans then fair enough (I don't have a particular opinion on that) but that's not what RickM said - he said sky is for proper fans, which implies that you are not a proper F1 fan if you don't watch it on Sky - and that is what I take exception to. If that's not what he meant then I am happy to retract my comments.

Apologies, I did mean aimed - probably should have worded it better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:20 pm 

RickM wrote:
Biffa wrote:
rej1972 wrote:
Biffa wrote:
RickM wrote:
No...it really doesn't.

Cheers

Apologies, I did mean aimed - probably should have worded it better.

No worries, and I happily take back what I said previously about your post :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:34 pm 

BBC coverage is much better (and far funnier!), only thing I like about Sky's coverage is Martin Brundle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 pm 

BBC really wound me up today when they stopped the HD coverage to show Wimbledon in 3D (and they were already showing it on BBC One HD). Until Sky get rid of Georgie and Simon I'm not watching it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:05 pm 

moshbeard wrote:
BBC really wound me up today when they stopped the HD coverage to show Wimbledon in 3D (and they were already showing it on BBC One HD). Until Sky get rid of Georgie and Simon I'm not watching it.

Well, in that case I would stop paying for SKYF1 because that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Besides Georgie isn't bad, she's actually a very good presenter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:10 am 

RunningMan wrote:
moshbeard wrote:

Well, in that case I would stop paying for SKYF1 because that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Besides Georgie isn't bad, she's actually a very good presenter.

And she's got a nice bottom ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:39 am 

I'll stick my neck out and tell you that I prefer the BBC over Sky when the two are simultaneously broadcasting live. I stream through the internet so all the HD, red button, driver tracker etc. don't work for me so can't comment on that.

But the BBC production is easily the more entertaining show and besides, a "proper" fan doesn't necessarily need to be interested in the technical aspects of the sport. I enjoy its human side just as much and the BBC brings that out every single time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:40 am 

The more I listen to Brundle, despite his knowledge, the more I dislike it, he is so full of himself. I like DC this year way more than Brundle, DC is clearly having more fun and liberty than before. The only thing is failing in my opinion in BBC is EJ.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:21 am 

Robot wrote:
The more I listen to Brundle, despite his knowledge, the more I dislike it, he is so full of himself. I like DC this year way more than Brundle, DC is clearly having more fun and liberty than before. The only thing is failing in my opinion in BBC is EJ.

The biggest failure of the BBC is the fact that they only have ten of the races and that they brokered the deal that took live F1 away from so many fans.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:27 am 

Quote:
Professor Sid Watkins: "I still watch F1"
Brundle: "On Sky, yeah?"
Watkins: "Er... no comment!"

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:28 am 

rej1972 wrote:
Robot wrote:

The biggest failure of the BBC is the fact that they only have ten of the races and that they brokered the deal that took live F1 away from so many fans.

That's the UK Government's fault more than BBC, they chose to freeze the license fee.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:41 am 

DC and MB bumping into each other during the gridwalk.

Priceless :o

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:46 am 

hd23 wrote:
rej1972 wrote:
Robot wrote:

That's the UK Government's fault more than BBC, they chose to freeze the license fee.

BBC have wasted money over the last few years.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am 

What a cringeworthy grid-walk on the BBC. DC hasn't got a clue what he is doing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:52 am 

becker wrote:

You cant beat Brundle - he's the only person capable of doing that job :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:00 pm 

RickM wrote:
becker wrote:

You cant beat Brundle - he's the only person capable of doing that job :)

:thumbup:
That's the first time I have seen a DC gridwalk. And it was the last!

2014 Championship : 5th :)

PF1 2014 Castrol GP Predictor
2014 Fantasy League : 1st :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:03 pm 

Have to say today is the first time I have been flicking channels and really preferred the Sky coverage.

DC should just let the gridwalk go. It's not happening.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:15 pm 

You guys are so lucky! I'm on holiday in Venezuela and I don't have this unfortunate luxury. I am instead listening to two incompetent commentators talk to me about utter rubbish. They talk over the team transmissions and when they listen to them, they cannot translate them properly! I can't wait to be home in the UK! Consider yourselves lucky!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:27 pm 

Dear Sky,
When there's action on track, I really don't want to be listening to the horribly dull tones of Paul di Resta.
Cheers,
P_4_E

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:06 pm 

Did Hill say Lewis hasn't won a race yet :?:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:30 pm 

Just watched the BBC F1 Forum and have to say that they have really turned into a very poor broadcaster...felt very amateurish with the really poor sound, crap picture mixing, etc...pretty cringrworthy TV especially when you've got Jake shouting out to a crowd "You all watch F1 on the best channel, the BBC, with the best coverage". I hardly call a 90 mins highlight show with a dull commentator 'Best' compared to 5+ hours of coverage.

Sorry but I did give them the benefit of the doubt, other than the funny intro (the flying) the BBC coverage was crap this weekend when compared to Sky's.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:59 pm 

I'll be away for a couple of the races this year, thankfully I'll be able to watch this later via the box.

The red button show today was bad, so I turned it off. I love the techy side and gadgets which Sky have gone overboard on, which is great, but the show could be condensed/shortened by at least an hour especially when big chunks are taken up by what is coming later in the show, all the ways you can watch Sky.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:15 pm 

IMO, I personally feel as though that Sky are really starting to get a grip of this F1 business, their coverage of the last few grand prixs have been pretty decent, plenty of coverage and no real gripes about presenters etc... keep it up!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:37 pm 

I think Sky need to chop at least half an hour off their coverage. It's too long atm and I feel as if they're trying to drag it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:40 pm 

Thought the Beeb were excellent this weekend, so many gaps to fill with the rain yet they always managed to make it amusing. Jake in particular is outstanding at what he does in holding everything together. Coulthard also an exceptional co-commentator.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:42 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
I think Sky need to chop at least half an hour off their coverage. It's too long atm and I feel as if they're trying to drag it out.

I dont think its normally as long. They had an extra hour pre-race and about an extra half-hour post race. It can drag on a bit with all the 'Ways to watch' and coming up segments though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:32 pm 

I'm going to brace myself for Ryder-hate, but if they swapped that gurning goon Lazenby with Steve Ryder, or someone with a bit more gravitas, (Brian Blessed for example) then the Sky coverage would be much better. And swap Georgie with Lee McKenzie who is beatiful AND knowledgeable. If any man dares say otherwise, then it shall be pistols at dawn, damn their eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 pm 

Brundle :thumbup: :thumbup:

The most successful Finnish Formula One driver; points, podium finishes and fastest laps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:50 pm 

Well I watched the BBC this weekend and I have to say that they evoked some sort of emotion in me. I've lived away from the UK for the last 8 and a half years and something they did just made me want to be there. Maybe nostagia from 2000 or may be it's just that I'll be sober in the morning! Either way, I don't think I've felt this way since I left so they must be doing something right.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 am 

criollo wrote:
You guys are so lucky! I'm on holiday in Venezuela and I don't have this unfortunate luxury. I am instead listening to two incompetent commentators talk to me about utter rubbish. They talk over the team transmissions and when they listen to them, they cannot translate them properly! I can't wait to be home in the UK! Consider yourselves lucky!

So Venezuela was showing BBC coverage? ;)

Joking aside, this was the first race this season I saw some of the BBC coverage before I'd seen any of Sky's (at a friend's house for most of the weekend and he doesn't have Sky). DC's gridwalk was awful, if this was my first race this season (as some casual fans may only watch the British GP) I'd think the BBC were too incompetent to produce F1. Normally I'd see BBC after Sky so know what was coming, this time it was fresh, but it didn't feel much better.

They got as close as the FOM graphics and switched to Wimbledon on BBC1 (shows they couldn't care less unless there's nothing better to them). The opening laps I saw, before we had to drive home, were irritating me. Ben Edwards sounded so confused by the overtaking between Grosjean, Button and Kobayashi, at least to me none of the overtakes looked like they would stick for long yet Edwards was commentating like they would.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:22 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKchUv_iEU

The pre race British GP montage with Murray Walker and Elgar's "Nimrod," was fantastic and brought a tear to the eye. Sky aren't doing a bad job, but when I watch their build up I feel like I'm just watching because I'm bored before the race starts. But with the BBC, I look forward to their pre race build up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:59 am 

RickM wrote:
Just watched the BBC F1 Forum and have to say that they have really turned into a very poor broadcaster...felt very amateurish with the really poor sound, crap picture mixing, etc...pretty cringrworthy TV especially when you've got Jake shouting out to a crowd "You all watch F1 on the best channel, the BBC, with the best coverage". I hardly call a 90 mins highlight show with a dull commentator 'Best' compared to 5+ hours of coverage.

Sorry but I did give them the benefit of the doubt, other than the funny intro (the flying) the BBC coverage was crap this weekend when compared to Sky's.

+1 Sky are just on another massive level completely now in every area. The BBC fans will still prefer BBC especially if they don't likle paying for Sky but the end of the day the Sky coverage is far more professional, detailed, interesting, insightful and has the most content we have ever had on an F1 channel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 pm 

RickM wrote:
RunningMan wrote:

I dont think its normally as long. They had an extra hour pre-race and about an extra half-hour post race. It can drag on a bit with all the 'Ways to watch' and coming up segments though.

Sky+ is handy for that though when it drags on, I pause it at the beginning and do some chores for half an hour or so. Come back and then skip the ads, ways to watch, graphics and musical montages and so on until they have Ted's analysis, interviews and gridwalk.