planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:31 pm 

hittheapex wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKchUv_iEU

The pre race British GP montage with Murray Walker and Elgar's "Nimrod," was fantastic and brought a tear to the eye. Sky aren't doing a bad job, but when I watch their build up I feel like I'm just watching because I'm bored before the race starts. But with the BBC, I look forward to their pre race build up.

I think that's about how I feel too. I really can't watch Sky's pre- and post-race stuff after several weeks of comparison. Lazenby is just a boarish oaf and although Georgie is getting a bit better (but still interrupts Ant / McNish), Hill is totally boring. I really just don't like Lazenby at all and can't bear to watch his squinting, idiotic face or listen to his guffawing and snorting any more. He's not "one of the lads" and never will be.

Jake on the other hand, maintains a good level of professionalism and respect despite being more friendly with the drivers and team principals these days. That means he can be amiable and familiar without looking like an unwanted pleb gatecrashing a party.

I still like listening to Jordans opinions, which usually provoke a reaction from DC - on SKY they all sit on the fence and never say anything which might cause you to feel anything about it.

I watch the races on SKY and am enjoying the commentary at the moment, which has definitely improved as Crofty and Brundle have got used to partnering. I also find Edwards and DC pretty good on the BBC, but tend towards SKY. As soon as the race is over, it's back to BBC for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 pm 

Lancaster wrote:
I'm going to brace myself for Ryder-hate, but if they swapped that gurning goon Lazenby with Steve Ryder, or someone with a bit more gravitas, (Brian Blessed for example) then the Sky coverage would be much better. And swap Georgie with Lee McKenzie who is beatiful AND knowledgeable. If any man dares say otherwise, then it shall be pistols at dawn, damn their eyes.

Agreed. I've always thought steve brought that much more class to a show. Nothing against jake who is doing a good job. Jake is just in the EJ "laurel & hardy" bracket.

When EJ ranted through the force india offices i was literally cringing. Paul diResta didnt do himself any favours by marking an X on EJ's face. Made him look a bit of a sugarplum in my eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:47 pm 

Sky has certainly begun to outperform BBC at this stage in the season, and as they do not have a longterm future in the sport and development seems to have stopped, they will only get worse as the year goes on.

Still cannot stand Jake on BBC, i feel that at least Simon Lazenby is getting better, whereas Jake seems to think he is something special, DC and Eddie have some great skills, but they are in the wrong team.

After race on the BBC seemed to be put together by a few teenagers, very amateurish. Wish i didn't have to pay for it, but at least they are spending some money and getting better.

In my opinion, anyone who would rather have a slimy presenter over a past champion who may not be slick on camera, maybe has their priorities a bit mixed up for a true F1 supporter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:14 pm 

If you don't have Sky F1, you're not a true fan!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:15 pm 

Museli wrote:

If you don't have crabs you've never had sex!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:39 pm 

Seanie wrote:
Museli wrote:

I'm not going to pay for my crabs like you sell outs. I'm going to keep with my free syphillis, thank you. Free STDs is a right, this country is going to the dogs. Blah blah blah Murdoch pubes blah blah.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:48 am 

Seanie wrote:
Museli wrote:

:uhoh:

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:59 pm 

Anyone like freebies?

SKY are allowing people to watch all sports channels for free on the German GP weekend.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:01 pm 

Anyone know why SKY are skipping Series Review 1992, and moving from 1991 to 1993?

On and Johnny Herbert is one of the most likable presenters I have seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:42 pm 

Museli wrote:

True. I go to 3 or 4 races a year; but I will never consider myself a true fan like those who sit at home and watch it on the telly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:57 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Museli wrote:

True. I go to 3 or 4 races a year; but I will never consider myself a true fan like those who sit at home and watch it on the telly.

3 or 4? Where do you live? Europe or Asia?

Sorry if it sounded nosey or rude.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:02 am 

I think through this thread I've realised there seems to be two different ways to categorise the viewers, and it usually seems to influence which coverage they watch if they have the choice).

Group 1: Those who view F1 as a special event, enjoying the atmosphere and spectacle. These people seem to gravitate towards BBC as it seems to provide much more in the way of entertainment, putting on a show and making F1 as enjoyable as possible. For example, DC and Jake talking to the crowds after the British GP.

group 2: Those who like the technical and nitty gritty side of F1. These gravitate towards Sky as they do much more analysis, but don't involve themselves with the spectacle side of things. Sky has much more time to go into depth about the cars and events of the race, but neglect what's happening outside the race.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:22 pm 

sennafan24 wrote:
Johnny Herbert is one of the most likable presenters I have seen.

I think he's trying to be the Eddie Jordan of Sky's coverage, but to me he comes across as being quite manic and in all honesty I find him to be a little creepy. He appears to have a weird obsession with touching people (so much so that Simon Lazenby made a pretty pointed comment about him being 'the most tactile man in the world' last week) - whenever he's in a group of people he will usually have his hand on someone's shoulder or on their back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:58 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Museli wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:05 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
shoot999 wrote:
Museli wrote:

I believe the current internet venacular demands that somebody say 'pwned'.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:11 pm 

Balibari wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Museli wrote:

Yup :thumbup: , totally sums it up, some people prefer the emotional side and some people the technical side - and neither are right or wrong of course. Certainly no one should pass judgement on what a proper F1 fan is.

Personally speaking, I am saving up to take a year off and go to every single race, in which case I will view you all as rabid dogs merely licking at the heels of the true F1 fan! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 pm 

Wasn't sure about Sky F1 at first but loving it now. Everybody on the Sky F1 team are to be congratulated especially Georgie Thompson :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 pm 

Balibari wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Museli wrote:

Sheldon Cooper, is that you? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:13 pm 

Danq wrote:
I think through this thread I've realised there seems to be two different ways to categorise the viewers, and it usually seems to influence which coverage they watch if they have the choice).

Group 1: Those who view F1 as a special event, enjoying the atmosphere and spectacle. These people seem to gravitate towards BBC as it seems to provide much more in the way of entertainment, putting on a show and making F1 as enjoyable as possible. For example, DC and Jake talking to the crowds after the British GP.

group 2: Those who like the technical and nitty gritty side of F1. These gravitate towards Sky as they do much more analysis, but don't involve themselves with the spectacle side of things. Sky has much more time to go into depth about the cars and events of the race, but neglect what's happening outside the race.

Or, those that is poor,
And those that is not...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Balibari wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Museli wrote:

Sheldon Cooper, is that you? :lol:

Bazinga!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:29 pm 

I assumed the bazinga was implied

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:27 am 

sennafan24 wrote:
Anyone know why SKY are skipping Series Review 1992, and moving from 1991 to 1993?

On and Johnny Herbert is one of the most likable presenters I have seen.

That's a good question! :thumbup: Yeah Johnny is good.. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:29 am 

RunningMan wrote:
Anyone like freebies?

SKY are allowing people to watch all sports channels for free on the German GP weekend.

Only any good if the indycar is on....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:19 pm 

Beanhead wrote:
Danq wrote:

Or, those that is poor,
And those that is not...

Or, those that have real life
And those that are not... :)

it's just a joke, just couldn't resist. I still struggle to meet (in real life) a person who got a job and family and watches everything SkyF1 shows :) (i am not saying 'Sky is bad' or 'Sky is good')

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 pm 

I think Sky can really feel the momentum now, they've found a balance with the presenters and the freebie weekend is probably the start of a "we've found our groove lets start chasing those that are on the fence looking over wondering what the fuss is about" campaign

Even with Lazenby and Hill, its getting better Georgie and Ant have really improved and Johnny has brought a whole new dynamic to the panel of pundits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:31 pm 

Seanie wrote:
I think Sky can really feel the momentum now, they've found a balance with the presenters and the freebie weekend is probably the start of a "we've found our groove lets start chasing those that are on the fence looking over wondering what the fuss is about" campaign

Even with Lazenby and Hill, its getting better Georgie and Ant have really improved and Johnny has brought a whole new dynamic to the panel of pundits.

Momentum is so great they are upping their prices :x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:32 pm 

Danq wrote:

I think that's a fair assessment. Entertainment is the reason I watch F1. I watch both BBC and Sky races since they're split and prefer the former because the Jake, Eddie and DC show is bloody funny. The only thing I would take from Sky is Brundle's commentary and gridwalk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:52 pm 

Jezick wrote:
Seanie wrote:

Are they? My payments are fixed until the middle of next year!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 pm 

WelshWayne1978 wrote:
Jezick wrote:
Seanie wrote:

I haven't heard anything either, they were making a big thing in their adverts over the last 6 months that they were freezing prices but I can't remember until when.

Jezick do you have a link to details of the price rise, I couldn't find anything on Sky's website?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:10 pm 

Ysmalari wrote:
WelshWayne1978 wrote:
Jezick wrote:
Seanie wrote:

I haven't heard anything either, they were making a big thing in their adverts over the last 6 months that they were freezing prices but I can't remember until when.

Jezick do you have a link to details of the price rise, I couldn't find anything on Sky's website?

Price rise kicks in on 1st September 2012 and according to this Sky's customers will be notified in July via letter or email notifications -

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/account-a ... index.html

2014 Championship : 21st after Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:39 pm 

Sky's schedule for the German GP weekend.

Simon challenges seb to a basketball match.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:45 pm 

Thanks fatboy72, the letter was actually waiting on my doorstep when I got home! Oh well I suppose I can just about stomach a £1.50 price rise...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:49 pm 

Yip we got the letter.

Ours is going up by £3.50 or something.

we have everything Bar the Movies and Porn.

(I refuse to pay for porn unless it's really good :P )

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:14 pm 

Formula1Fan. wrote:
Danq wrote:

I think that's a fair assessment. Entertainment is the reason I watch F1. I watch both BBC and Sky races since they're split and prefer the former because the Jake, Eddie and DC show is bloody funny. The only thing I would take from Sky is Brundle's commentary and gridwalk.

Seconded....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:59 pm 

I agree with both arguments so I've decided to break it down:

Commentary - close one but brundles experience and insight just edges it.

Pre-race coverage - BBC wins. Entertaining features and ebthusiastic presenters. Sky is a little "by the numbers" and too much technical stuff. I want them to build tension for the race not bombard me with facts. Stuff like jenson and Lewis being presenters is awesome.

Post race - sky are the better at disecting a result but BBC seem to get better interviews and the forum is always very watchable. A more relaxed and informal setting to talk to people makes foe a great wind down from a tense race.

Extra stuff - BBC website and iplayer can't match a dedicated channel. Although a little sparse the season reviews and gp2 coverage is amazing to have.

Presenters - BBC wins for the fact that Jake holds it all together better than lazenby. Can't fault Skys aquisitions though, particularly Herbert who is insightful and fun.

Result - BBC 3 sky 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:54 pm 

blowmydiffuser wrote:
I agree with both arguments so I've decided to break it down:

Commentary - close one but brundles experience and insight just edges it.

Pre-race coverage - BBC wins. Entertaining features and ebthusiastic presenters. Sky is a little "by the numbers" and too much technical stuff. I want them to build tension for the race not bombard me with facts. Stuff like jenson and Lewis being presenters is awesome.

Post race - sky are the better at disecting a result but BBC seem to get better interviews and the forum is always very watchable. A more relaxed and informal setting to talk to people makes foe a great wind down from a tense race.

Extra stuff - BBC website and iplayer can't match a dedicated channel. Although a little sparse the season reviews and gp2 coverage is amazing to have.

Presenters - BBC wins for the fact that Jake holds it all together better than lazenby. Can't fault Skys aquisitions though, particularly Herbert who is insightful and fun.

Result - BBC 3 sky 2

+1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:58 am 

Georgie + Nat

Do these two have Pre-Sky F1 history?

Heard Georgie is being Nats Bridesmaid this weekend. Not something you would normally ask someone you have worked with 6 months to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:05 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Georgie + Nat

Heard Georgie is being Nats Bridesmaid this weekend. Not something you would normally ask someone you have worked with 6 months to do.

They went to school together and have been friends ever since.

Please tweet me> @PG-F1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:42 pm 

Cheers maybe not such a coincidence they ended up working together.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:59 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Georgie + Nat

Natalie Pinkham did the pitlane coverage for BBC R5 last year - not bad, bearing in mind she's a presenter moving into F1, as opposed to an F1 who moved into presenting (a la' Lee McKenzie)