planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:23 am 

minchy wrote:
DeadKenny wrote:
Pinkham is far more knowledgeable than Suzi is, (and i like Suzi)
I'm not going to argue with your post, everyone is entitled to their opinions (mine are more similar to henners88) but you can't compare Suzi to Pinkham. If you want compare Pinkham to her BBC counterpart, that would be Lee. Suzi is doing Lazenby's job for the beeb.

Lee McKenzie is more knowledgeable than either of them and should have been given the main BBC job in my opinion.

As for the coverage in general, I've taken to watching all the races on Sky.
Both commentary teams are actually quite good, but after switching between Sky and BBC from race to race for a while I came to find Sky a bit more flowing and natural. I find David Croft quite likeable and genuine.

As for the rest of the coverage, well, I don't really think much of either of them. I tend to flick between the two but find myself tuning into the build up later than I used to. Neither team has a very natural chemistry, it all feels a bit forced and insincere.

These days I actually tend to treat watching practice sessions on Sky as an extended build up instead of watching the full hour before quali and the race. I find that much more informative and enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:21 pm 

I am biased in that I don't like Sky as a whole, but must concede Sky appears to be putting much more effort in F1.

But the thing is, I find myself not bothering to watch the build up or post race show on either channel these days, something that I did do when it was exclusively on the beeb and ITV before.

Sky might be better than the beeb (or vice-versa for many), but in my opinion neither coverage is as good as when it was exclusively on the beeb or ITV.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:27 pm 

There's pros and cons to both channels. If they both broadcast all the races live and I was forced to watch one or the other I'd be happy with either.

Sky are able to do things the BBC can't simply because they have the space to do it - a dedicated channel is very different to being scheduled into BBC1.

Sometimes the pre-race and post-race on Sky though just drag on a bit without being able to hold my interest for all those long hours they have to fill. The BBC show is much more focused - less sometimes is more.

Oh and the standard of Sky's VTs has improved but they still aren't up to the level of the BBC's - the Red Arrows film featuring DC and Lewis was absolutely superb.

This week's F1 show was miles and miles better than it normally is, just goes to show that knowledgeable, interesting guests will always be better than virtual cars and an over-sized iPad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:01 pm 

I tried to stick with the BBC but I really find their coverage poor and rushed these days and Suzi is terrible IMO,I wish they would have tried signing Steve Ryder! I watch races on Sky now as the BBC really feels like F1 is something they are stuck with until they can get away with ditching it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:21 pm 

I tend to find BBC coverage on the whole more lighthearted and easier to watch, whereas Sky get overly hung up on analysing everything. There are more diverse features on the BBC IMO, wheras Sky seem too keen to wheel out the Skypad to fill a lot of space where a normal replay would probably have done pretty much the same job. On the flipside, Sky's more indepth coverage can give you better insights into the sport. I tend to prefer BBC's actual race commentary, mainly for DC, but nobody can do a pitwalk like Martin Brundle.

I do like Suzi Perry, and I'm prepared to give her more of a chance as it's her first year covering F1, but she seems noticably out of her comfort zone and sound less like she knows what she's talking about than when she was presenting anything motorbike related. Also, not the main reason for watching F1 by any stretch, but I certainly don't find Natalie Pinkham hard to look at, and she at least seems more confident around the F1 guys than Suzi does.

Obviously Sky gets major points for showing all races live, but honestly, if the BBC still got them, I'd probably spend more of my time watching their coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 pm 

wolfticket wrote:
minchy wrote:
DeadKenny wrote:
I'm not going to argue with your post, everyone is entitled to their opinions (mine are more similar to henners88) but you can't compare Suzi to Pinkham. If you want compare Pinkham to her BBC counterpart, that would be Lee. Suzi is doing Lazenby's job for the beeb.

Lee McKenzie is more knowledgeable than either of them and should have been given the main BBC job in my opinion.

I agree that Lee McKenzie is better than Lazenby and Suzi, but she isn't doing the job ? Pinkham is better informed than Suzi and to be honest i wish she was doing Lazenby's job, as he is the weak link. If Lee McKenzie had got the job on the BBC i would have a different view.

I fought against sky for some time, but now i have gone over to the darkside, it is better coverage, sorry but the beeb let it slip, and now seem to have an attitude toward sky, that it was their fault.

You cannot sell something, then see the new owner taking better care of it, and then decide that it was their fault that you didn't care about it enough when it was yours !!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 pm 

DeadKenny wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
minchy wrote:
DeadKenny wrote:

I agree that Lee McKenzie is better than Lazenby and Suzi, but she isn't doing the job ? Pinkham is better informed than Suzi and to be honest i wish she was doing Lazenby's job, as he is the weak link. If Lee McKenzie had got the job on the BBC i would have a different view.

I fought against sky for some time, but now i have gone over to the darkside, it is better coverage, sorry but the beeb let it slip, and now seem to have an attitude toward sky, that it was their fault.

You cannot sell something, then see the new owner taking better care of it, and then decide that it was their fault that you didn't care about it enough when it was yours !!

Did you not watch when Jake had time off a couple of years ago and Lee took his place as lead presenter for a weekend? I was really wanting her to do well well to get the job after Jake finished at the end of the year, but she was almost hopless at it! She is doing the job that she is best at right now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:09 pm 

minchy wrote:
DeadKenny wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
minchy wrote:
DeadKenny wrote:

Did you not watch when Jake had time off a couple of years ago and Lee took his place as lead presenter for a weekend? I was really wanting her to do well well to get the job after Jake finished at the end of the year, but she was almost hopless at it! She is doing the job that she is best at right now.

The weekend she did in 2010 in Japan when it rained and qualy was moved to the Sunday I thought was handled very well and especially by the forum at the end she seemed pretty good. I didn't see any of last year though, maybe it was beginner's luck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 pm 

The forum part she was good at, but that is because the way the BBC forum works is mainly interviewing people in the paddock, which is what she does best (asking the right questions etc). I think for the lead presenter role, it is always best to have someone who is a fan of the sport, but not overly knowledgeable, so they can ask the questions that the viewers want to know to the pundit co-presenters. So that Imo is where lee wasn't that good, she's already too knowledgeable about the sport to make her questions seem right (if that makes sense?).