RACE DISTANCE: 305.909 KM

LAP RECORD: 1:11.473
By Juan Pablo Montoya (2004)

Tyres:
Red-marked supersoft tyre
Yellow-marked soft tyre
White-marked medium tyre

Press Conference:
Part 1: Marcus Ericsson (Sauber), Felipe Massa (Williams), Lance Stroll (Williams)
Part 2: Brendon Hartley (Toro Rosso), Esteban Ocon (Force India), Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)

Source - www.motorsport.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:14 pm 

It's expected to rain on Friday & on Saturday during qualifying but shall remain dry on Sunday during the race:
https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/11/09/thunderstorms-to-pass-before-race-day-in-brazil/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:15 am 

ICE / TC / MGU-H / MGU-K / ES / CE

Mercedes / Lewis Hamilton (4 4 4 4 3 3)
Mercedes / Valtteri Bottas (4 4 4 4 3 3)
Red Bull (Renault) / Daniel Ricciardo (6 6 7 3 3 3)
Red Bull (Renault) / Max Verstappen (6 5 6 3 4 4)
Ferrari / Sebastian Vettel (5 5 5 4 4 4)
Ferrari / Kimi Räikkönen (4 4 4 4 4 4)
Force India (Mercedes) / Sergio Perez (4 4 4 4 2 2)
Force India (Mercedes) / Esteban Ocon (4 4 4 4 3 3)
Williams (Mercedes) / Felipe Massa (4 4 4 4 3 2)
Williams (Mercedes) / Lance Stroll (4 4 4 4 2 2)
McLaren (Honda) / Fernando Alonso (9 11 11 8 7 6)
McLaren (Honda) / Stoffel Vandoorne (10 12 12 9 7 7)
Toro Rosso (Renault) / Brendon Hartley (7 6 7 3 5 5)
Toro Rosso (Renault) / Pierre Gasly (5 6 7 3 4 5)
Haas (Ferrari) / Romain Grosjean (4 4 4 4 4 4)
Haas (Ferrari) / Kevin Magnussen (4 4 4 4 4 4)
Renault / Nico Hülkenberg (5 5 6 4 4 4)
Renault / Carlos Sainz (5 6 6 3 4 4)
Sauber (Ferrari, 2016) / Marcus Ericsson (4 4 4 4 4 4)
Sauber (Ferrari, 2016) / Pascal Wehrlein (4 4 4 4 4 4)

Engine elements: ICE = Internal Combustion Engine / TC = Turbo Charger / MGU-H = Motor Generator Unit - Heat / MGU-K = Motor Generator Unit - Kinetic / ES = Energy Store / CE = Control Electronics

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:19 am 

Two races to go, and IMO the real battle is now between Bottas and Vettel. Bottas has closed the gap to second place to just 15 points. And I am very sure that Mercedes would love to sweep everything. Both drivers finish 1 - 2 in the WDC and winning the WCC.

So after the many times Bottas has been asked to support Hamilton, will Hamilton repay the favor?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:30 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Two races to go, and IMO the real battle is now between Bottas and Vettel. Bottas has closed the gap to second place to just 15 points. And I am very sure that Mercedes would love to sweep everything. Both drivers finish 1 - 2 in the WDC and winning the WCC.

So after the many times Bottas has been asked to support Hamilton, will Hamilton repay the favor?

I don't think it matters. If Vettel runs clean, Bottas is nowhere near his pace.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Bottas lacks the race pace. He'd need Ham AND Vettel to have off days. If Ham has an off day and Vettel runs as standard then Vettel will just simply win the race (or a Red Bull driver).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:28 am 

Invade wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Bottas lacks the race pace. He'd need Ham AND Vettel to have off days. If Ham has an off day and Vettel runs as standard then Vettel will just simply win the race (or a Red Bull driver).

Seems that Mercedes will be testing some new "toys' in the last 2 races so working out driver performance is going to be more difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
Invade wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Seems that Mercedes will be testing some new "toys' in the last 2 races so working out driver performance is going to be more difficult.

Mercedes recently said that they would make the car more Bottas friendly in 2018. Elsewhere Bottas too said he won't be no.2 in the team.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:56 am 

I hope Ferrari stays - but they should lose their unfair financial advantages

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:59 am 

Not sure why my post on another thread was somehow posted on this thread - PF1 - something to investigate?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:14 pm 

So the F1, F2, GP3 and WEC champions are all going to be on track at the same time this session.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
So the F1, F2, GP3 and WEC champions are all going to be on track at the same time this session.

That's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:32 pm 

Mercedes looking strong on the softs so far and massa as well on the super softs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:37 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Reading some responses alluding to Bottas lacking race pace in relation to Vettel, perhaps one might ask more specifically that, if Merc are running a clear 1-2 in the race(s) would they engineer it for Bottas to take maximum points if it meant Hamilton giving up another race win? May be hard to call (in terms of would-he-wouldn't-he) if Hamilton is chasing Schuey's win record, versus repaying his team-mate for playing shotgun eariler in the season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:47 pm 

lucifers wrote:
Mercedes looking strong on the softs so far and massa as well on the super softs

Medium-low downforce circuit = track that should suit Mercs. With the rain forecast on Saturday, money has to be on Ham for pole.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:50 pm 

Ricciardo, Hartley & Gasly will all get a 10 place grid penalty:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132927/grid-penalties-for-ricciardo-and-toro-rossos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:57 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Ricciardo, Hartley & Gasly will all get a 10 place grid penalty:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132927/grid-penalties-for-ricciardo-and-toro-rossos
I'm aware that this is only Hartley's third race but he must be looking forward to eventually being able to start in the position he qualifies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:37 pm 

Russell impressive in 12th.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:47 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Reading some responses alluding to Bottas lacking race pace in relation to Vettel, perhaps one might ask more specifically that, if Merc are running a clear 1-2 in the race(s) would they engineer it for Bottas to take maximum points if it meant Hamilton giving up another race win? May be hard to call (in terms of would-he-wouldn't-he) if Hamilton is chasing Schuey's win record, versus repaying his team-mate for playing shotgun eariler in the season.

No because Bottas owes Hamilton in terms of giving him positions.

I also don't think unnecessarily swimming pool off Vettel and Ferrari by engineering such a situation is smart.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I don't think it matters. If Vettel runs clean, Bottas is nowhere near his pace.

It would be a stupid thing to do. Vettel has been better than Bottas by some margin this season. On current form, even a Hamilton on mental vacation should be quite a bit up the road from Bottas.

Besides, Hamilton is record chasing. He won't be giving wins up for such little reward.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:05 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

What are you talking about? Many times he's been asked to support Hamilton? I can think of one and that's Bahrain, where he was basically asked to move aside rather than hold Lewis up for a lap or two (Hamilton was much quicker and would have passed him anyway). I don't know what you're even talking about here.

As for whether or not Mercedes will try to have Lewis give up wins and hand them to Bottas, not a chance. There is nothing special about having 1-2 in the WDC standings. What you want is the WDC and WCC and they have those. They won't want to ask Lewis to hand over wins in meaningless races. It's actually much better for their brand if Lewis wins the race. They can probably envision him breaking the record some day while sporting the Mercedes brand logo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:17 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Have you forgotten what Hamilton did in Hungary?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 pm 

Clarky wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

what, keep his word after Bottas let him through?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:42 pm 

Clarky wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

What Hamilton did was to give the position back to Bottas, nothing more

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:50 pm 

Fantaribo wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

So no problem then; Hamilton can repay the favour. He can let Bottas through, and on the last lap Bottas can give the place back to Hamilton, nothing more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:52 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Fantaribo wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

So no problem then; Hamilton can repay the favour. He can let Bottas through, and on the last lap Bottas can give the place back to Hamilton, nothing more.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:52 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Fantaribo wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

If Hamilton lets him though on that condition, that seems perfectly reasonable

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:19 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

It would be a stupid thing to do. Vettel has been better than Bottas by some margin this season. On current form, even a Hamilton on mental vacation should be quite a bit up the road from Bottas.

Besides, Hamilton is record chasing. He won't be giving wins up for such little reward.

Oh yea of little faith. One year ago Hamilton displayed a selfish aggression at Abu Dhabi. But for this year, IMO Hamilton has improved drastically and I believe those days are over. And consider this possibility. If Hamilton does not play according to the Mercedes game plan, his days of chasing records may be flushed down the toilet. He does have to think about the future.

Little reward? For all of the manufacturers, Formula One is just part of their advertising budget. Mercedes have probably spent over 350 million dollars in just this year. As a fan you may not see the forest because of the trees, but for such expenditures it is a big thing for Mercedes. The ideal advertising message is " we came, we kicked butt". And securing second place in the WDC completes that statement. It would make the advertising executives, the people who approve the racing budget, very, very happy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:42 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Oh yea of little faith. One year ago Hamilton displayed a selfish aggression at Abu Dhabi. But for this year, IMO Hamilton has improved drastically and I believe those days are over. And consider this possibility. If Hamilton does not play according to the Mercedes game plan, his days of chasing records may be flushed down the toilet. He does have to think about the future.

Little reward? For all of the manufacturers, Formula One is just part of their advertising budget. Mercedes have probably spent over 350 million dollars in just this year. As a fan you may not see the forest because of the trees, but for such expenditures it is a big thing for Mercedes. The ideal advertising message is " we came, we kicked butt". And securing second place in the WDC completes that statement. It would make the advertising executives, the people who approve the racing budget, very, very happy.

This is up there among the most ridiculous things I've heard top to bottom. Selfish aggression? You mean trying to win the championship at a time in which both the WDC, WCC and a 1-2 finish in the standings was already secured for Mercedes? Really? And exactly how you calculate that there is a significant boost to the brand by Bottas finishing second in the standings is beyond me. I think it makes almost no difference whatsoever considering, once again, that they have already secured the WDC and WCC. From a marketing perspective it is almost certainly best for them when Hamilton wins, simply because he is the more popular of their two drivers and his popularity is strongest in Mercedes' biggest markets (USA, England, etc.). Maybe you'd like for Lewis to hand over wins but I don't think that makes sense to anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:04 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

The many times? :lol:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:17 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

This is up there among the most ridiculous things I've heard top to bottom. Selfish aggression? You mean trying to win the championship at a time in which both the WDC, WCC and a 1-2 finish in the standings was already secured for Mercedes? Really? And exactly how you calculate that there is a significant boost to the brand by Bottas finishing second in the standings is beyond me. I think it makes almost no difference whatsoever considering, once again, that they have already secured the WDC and WCC. From a marketing perspective it is almost certainly best for them when Hamilton wins, simply because he is the more popular of their two drivers and his popularity is strongest in Mercedes' biggest markets (USA, England, etc.). Maybe you'd like for Lewis to hand over wins but I don't think that makes sense to anyone else.

I agree the AD bit if a bit ridiculous. But Blinky's 2nd paragraph is true.

2014: 1st, 2nd in WDC and WCC Champions.
2015: 1st, 2nd in WDC and WCC Champions.
2016: 1st, 2nd in WDC and WCC Champions.
2017: 1st, 3rd in WDC and WCC Champions.

It ruins the perfect run. I am sure Mercedes would love it to end with the 1-2 without the need for team orders and with Hamilton winning the races. If they needed team order they also have to weigh up the negatives of that - especially for a win. Maybe they could to it subtly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:31 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

It would be a strange situation if Hamilton is asked to slow down like Bottas did or maybe not earlier in the season?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 pm 

Hamilton is already on his final warning after his antics in the final race of last season. If they order him to help Val, he'll help Val. That is, unless he wants to join Fernando at the back of the grid from next year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:15 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Hamilton is already on his final warning after his antics in the final race of last season. If they order him to help Val, he'll help Val. That is, unless he wants to join Fernando at the back of the grid from next year.

:lol: Final warning

I think that went out the window the day Nico resigned. Hamilton went from the team being a little annoyed at him immediately after AD to basically bending over backwards for him a few days later once the retirement was announced. To think, without Hamilton in the Mercedes this year - Vettel likely would have secured WDC number 5.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:43 pm 

lamo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

I think that went out the window the day Nico resigned. Hamilton went from the team being a little annoyed at him immediately after AD to basically bending over backwards for him a few days later once the retirement was announced. To think, without Hamilton in the Mercedes this year - Vettel likely would have secured WDC number 5.

Without Hamilton in the Mercedes we would be talking about Vettel winning his 5th WDC in a dominant Ferrari.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:45 pm 

Mercedes want to win races. That makes them look good. The best way to do that is to go for a secure win, so I'm expecting Hamilton on pole and to control the race from the front. If the weather is good, he may pull out a bigger gap, if it's wet, maybe settle for a comfortable lead.

Bottas says he can't see himself as a No.2 driver. That's where he's ending this year. It's up to Bottas to win the races if he wants to finish second in the World Championship, and then Hamilton would be backing him up.

Hopefully the rain will turn up for the race, and make it more interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:48 pm 

I hate to spoil it lamo but they can't finish 1-2 every year. That streak was never going to continue forever. There's quite a big difference between 2014-2016 and this year. In those years anything other than a 1-2 would have been strange considering the dominance of the car and the fact that they had two top drivers. This year a 1-2 would actually be odd as Vettel has generally been faster than Bottas in qualifying and in the races.

Anyway, it's kind of a moot point. I see no way that Mercedes would ask Hamilton to move over and let Bottas win a race. That would only run the risk of upsetting him for no reason and at a time when the relationship between him and the team is perhaps the strongest it's ever been. 2014-2016 were not years where Having Lewis on the team was critical but they won championships this eyar that they would not have won without him and they are smart enough to realize that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:14 pm 

lamo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

My understanding is the final warning still stands, which is probably why Hamilton has been on his best behavior this year.

I also don't think Mercedes need Hamilton. Max or Dan could both do the job given that beast of a car. Seb only lost because of a lot bad luck not the brilliance of Hamilton.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
lamo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

My understanding is the final warning still stands, which is probably why Hamilton has been on his best behavior this year.

I also don't think Mercedes need Hamilton. Max or Dan could both do the job given that beast of a car. Seb only lost because of a lot bad luck not the brilliance of Hamilton.

So how do Mercedes get Ricciardo or Verstappen after they fire Hamilton for winning in Brazil? They both have contracts and Red Bull are never going to let either walk from next season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:42 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
lamo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

The final warning related to LH and NR and the behaviour between them. Why would you think it still existed? Do you have a link?

Regarding Mercedes and Hamilton if you had a choice between a 4 times world champion and 2 very good drivers who do you think they would choose?