Would Mercedes swap the drivers?
Yes - ask Hamilton to let Bottas through 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Yes - orchestrate it without direct team orders 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
No 63%  63%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 32
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
quere wrote:
As of now, Bottas would need to win at Abu Dhabi with Vettel 9th or lower. It is my view that if, say, Hamilton were to be leading Bottas with Vettel 9th or lower (and with no realistic prospect of improving his finishing position), Hamilton would let Bottas pass him for the win without the team in any way pressuring him to do so.

This would not be especially charitable; it would, rather, cement his position as top dog in the team.

If that was the case, I think Hamilton would do that out of his own choice. It does seem him and Bottas get on far better than him and Rosberg. Some say, it may be because Hamilton feels unchallenged most of the time, but I only think that is part of the reason. Off track, they reflect and show their respect on each others drives and performances far more than when Rosberg and Hamilton were together. This is one of the areas that is better about this combination of drivers compared to last year. I don't know what it was, but it did seem that the tension between Hamilton and Rosberg caused problems occasionally. Such as twice last year. Spain was a double DNF and in Austria, Rosberg did a really stupid move on Hamilton that I don't think Bottas would ever attempt. These sorts of things really can deduct points on the constructors championship. And in terms of getting points for the team, Bottas has done really well this year and got 45% of them so far in his first year with the team.

I think it is unlikely that Vettel will have any problems in securing 2nd in the championship but I hope Bottas can still put in his best performance possible and at least beat Vettel.

I could see that happening but if I had to wager, I would say Hamilton doesn't give it up if he's in the lead and I don't think they will ask him to. Unless it's a close situation where Lewis is struggling for grip and Bottas is being held up early in the race then I don't see Lewis not wanting to add another grand prix victory to pad his stats. Also I feel like him saying last race "I don't think Valtteri wants to be given a win, he wants to get it on his own accord" or something like that.. I think Valtteri would feel the same way. Don't give me a win, I want to earn it.

Imagine going into the off-season having been given a win in the final GP where the current world champion moved over so you could finish ahead of the second place guy? Just change your name from Valtteri Bottas to Valtteri Number-Two