planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jean Todt
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:04 pm 

Will remain FIA President for another term as nobody has come forward to challenge him.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13320 ... a-election

Post subject: Re: Jean Todt
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 pm 

When any organization suffers a lack of contenders for the leadership, IMO this organization is lacking something. Maybe they have avoided hiring executives who may have the guns to challenge Todt, maybe they understand that he is the best man for the job. Maybe Stalin. But it is disturbing.

As fans of Formula One many of us do have a valid grievance against Todt, that Formula One has not solved their major problems under his leadership. I am in that camp. But balanced against this is the fact that Formula One does not comprise the FIA's prime business, or even reason to exist. There are other series they sanction, from Formula One, to Rally (an even bigger failure) to endurance racing and other series. And that is not everything, the FIA promotes road safety and mobility.

When Todt's predecessor Max Mosley was running the show, he devoted an excess of his attention to Formula One, that was his baby, that was his passion. He attended every race and continually involved himself in the day to day running of Formula One. Obviously, Todt is focusing on other branches of his organization and is not as visibly active as Mosley.

Personally I do not know that in his capacity as the FIA President he has done a good job. I do know that Todt has a few failures attached to his name, specifically Formula One and Rally. But during his tenure Formula E has come to life, and although that series interests me less than a rectal itch, it is a success. It is the future of racing, it is what the manufacturers are flocking to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:37 pm 

Reminds me of a few FIFA elections to be honest. He has support behind the scenes but the way that support is garnered stinks to high heaven. Todt has always had designs on getting into mainstream politics too, and I dont like the idea of him using the FIA presidency as a steppingstone (much the same way that Mosely used it as a substitute for a political career because his name carries some serious connotations).

That said, you only have to look at the state of some of the members of the council to realise just how much worse it could be.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 pm 

I never appreciate a lack of new, competitive innovative ideas to continuously improve, well, anything. And, at least in the engine formula, there is much room for improvement. The status quo must be pushed for leaders to grow and make room for the next cycle.

I wish these guys would take a more customer centric view of what the sport needs to grow and thrive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 pm 

I think it is dangerous to leave chairmen in place for years at a time, Look at other sporting examples, FIFA and Sepp Blatter, Olympics and Havelange terms should be kept to 2 terms of 5 years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:02 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:05 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
I think it is dangerous to leave chairmen in place for years at a time, Look at other sporting examples, FIFA and Sepp Blatter, Olympics and Havelange terms should be kept to 2 terms of 5 years.

As opposed to the FIA regulated max of 3 terms of 4 years each... a total of12 years.
;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:41 am 

I wonder if the sport would look different had they elected Vatanen instead of Todt...

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:57 am 

Blake wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

As opposed to the FIA regulated max of 3 terms of 4 years each... a total of12 years.
;)

Thanks for the info so obviously the FIA agree, the point is there is no challenge, practices are unchallenged, no fresh ideas, is that good when F1 is undergoing a refresh. Doesn't the sport need young and fresh approach?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:37 am 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Reminds me of a few FIFA elections to be honest. He has support behind the scenes but the way that support is garnered stinks to high heaven. Todt has always had designs on getting into mainstream politics too, and I dont like the idea of him using the FIA presidency as a steppingstone (much the same way that Mosely used it as a substitute for a political career because his name carries some serious connotations).

That said, you only have to look at the state of some of the members of the council to realise just how much worse it could be.

I have never heard of that. How do you know it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:47 am 

Not impressed at all. People that can not be challenged or replaced are putting humanity back to the dark historical relations that should have been overgrown by now, specially in western societies.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:20 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
When any organization suffers a lack of contenders for the leadership, IMO this organization is lacking something. Maybe they have avoided hiring executives who may have the guns to challenge Todt, maybe they understand that he is the best man for the job. Maybe Stalin. But it is disturbing.

As fans of Formula One many of us do have a valid grievance against Todt, that Formula One has not solved their major problems under his leadership. I am in that camp. But balanced against this is the fact that Formula One does not comprise the FIA's prime business, or even reason to exist. There are other series they sanction, from Formula One, to Rally (an even bigger failure) to endurance racing and other series. And that is not everything, the FIA promotes road safety and mobility.

When Todt's predecessor Max Mosley was running the show, he devoted an excess of his attention to Formula One, that was his baby, that was his passion. He attended every race and continually involved himself in the day to day running of Formula One. Obviously, Todt is focusing on other branches of his organization and is not as visibly active as Mosley.

Personally I do not know that in his capacity as the FIA President he has done a good job. I do know that Todt has a few failures attached to his name, specifically Formula One and Rally. But during his tenure Formula E has come to life, and although that series interests me less than a rectal itch, it is a success. It is the future of racing, it is what the manufacturers are flocking to.

:thumbup: I agree with that. I remember when Todt took over from Mosley he was initially applauded for his hands-off approach, quite a change from Mosley, who was heavily criticised for his constant interfering. Many people will remember this forum back in the Mosley days? There was rarely a week went past without some Mosley-based controversy to discuss.

It’s difficult for me to know whether Todt has been good or bad as he is so under the radar, but to be honest I do kind of miss Mosley as he was always stirring something up, and back in the day I found the off track goings on quite exciting – can’t say the same thing today.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:07 pm 

Blake wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

;)

I await the day we hear that there is "unanimous support" for an unprecedented fourth term so they make an exception.

Maybe I've spent too long watching football so I've come to expect these sort of political machinations, but to me it does seem eerily similar to how Blatter remained as head of FIFA for so long. Serving three terms is fine, it's the lack of opposition that makes me suspicious.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:34 am 

j man wrote:
Blake wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

;)

I await the day we hear that there is "unanimous support" for an unprecedented fourth term so they make an exception.

Maybe I've spent too long watching football so I've come to expect these sort of political machinations, but to me it does seem eerily similar to how Blatter remained as head of FIFA for so long. Serving three terms is fine, it's the lack of opposition that makes me suspicious.

Why no one is coming forward is something we don't know. Not necessarily foul play; unless they resort to mafia methods, I can't see how you can stop someone from putting themselves up for the position. I did hope that Vatanen would come back and challenge again, but hey ho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm 

nobody came forward to run against him ? if i would have known, i would have thrown my name in the hat !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:05 pm 

pc27b wrote:
nobody came forward to run against him ? if i would have known, i would have thrown my name in the hat !

Why not? I'd vote for you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:43 pm 

Haha.. the FIA isn't exactly an open democracy. Todt keeps certain people happy, certain people keep Todt in charge.