planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:20 pm 

So Shmee is at the Dubai Motor Show and shows us the Aston Martin Valkyrie and the inside of it. I love it!

Named Valkyrie from Norse Mythology, where the Valkyries chose who would like and die in battle, the project between Aston Martin and Red Bull features design by Marek Reichman and engineering by Adrian Newey; between whom it seems anything is possible! Supported by a serious set of partners; Cosworth, Rimac, Bosch, Ricardo and more, the Valkyrie looks set to have circa 1,000hp and weigh just 1,000kg to reach the mythical 1:1 power to weight ratio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdzQExF4D18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:14 pm 

Stunning, I was going to make a comment about where does the shopping and the kids go? Not after seeing that video. Power to weight is insane, 1000K to 1000HP. What about the aero..!!

Can't wait for the Stig to get hold of it. Simply, Simply, Loveleh!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:33 am 

Can't wait to see it go head to head with the Project One. That is, if we are ever so lucky to have two super rich people with a bone to pick. I also wonder how it will do against the Koenigsegg Agera RS as well. We are living in a golden age of hyper cars right now. So happy.

P.S. Love the F1 seating position in the Aston Martin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:50 am 

TheDamus wrote:
Can't wait to see it go head to head with the Project One. That is, if we are ever so lucky to have two super rich people with a bone to pick. I also wonder how it will do against the Koenigsegg Agera RS as well. We are living in a golden age of hyper cars right now. So happy.

P.S. Love the F1 seating position in the Aston Martin.

I expect it to destroy the Koenigsegg, honestly. The power and weight is the same, and the aero is going to be a lot more sophisticated.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:19 am 

I'm not so sure. It could beat the Koenigsegg thanks to better aero (sounds like I'm an expert, which I'm not), but the Koenigsegg doesn't have to shift gears because it has no transmission.

Depending on the track the Vakyrie might have a chance, otherwise I think the Valkyrie is at the receiving end of the destruction.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:06 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
I'm not so sure. It could beat the Koenigsegg thanks to better aero (sounds like I'm an expert, which I'm not), but the Koenigsegg doesn't have to shift gears because it has no transmission.

Depending on the track the Vakyrie might have a chance, otherwise I think the Valkyrie is at the receiving end of the destruction.

Take a look at Formula E; some cars don't shift, some have 2 gears, some have 3 or even more. It's not a huge advantage to not need to shift there, and I don't think it would be on a hypercar either. These modern racing gearboxes shift gears in milliseconds, and it's seamless; with hybrid systems, I'm not even sure there's ever a loss of power to the wheels.

I could be wrong, and I hope to find out if/when we see representative times for both cars at the same track. But my expectation is that the Valkyrie will be faster, and not by a small margin. Koenigsegg's website actually gives downforce figures for the One:1, the first I've ever seen that on a manufacturer website. Among the highlights are:

Max lateral g-force: 2.0 g
Cd 0.45-0.50 with adaptable rear wings
Total Downforce at 260km/h: 610kg at 440km/h: 830kg

We don't know figures for the Valkyrie yet, but Adrian Newey's stated goal was to make it as fast as a (then) current F1 car. If they've actually achieved anything like that, it will be so much faster through the corners that the One:1 will have absolutely no hope of catching up. Two lateral g is less than half (much less for the current generation) what an F1 car car produce, and 610 kg of downforce is barely more than half the One:1's weight - anything that aspires to produce F1 levels of downforce will be producing at least its own weight, which I would expect the Valkyrie to hit.

With very similar power, and what ought to be an enormous cornering advantage, I really don't see how it's going to be even close. I'd still love to see a head-to-head comparison, though.

EDIT: And I just realized after typing all of that that you never mentioned the One:1! I read 'Project One' and 'Koenigsegg' and somehow combined them in my head. Ah well! :-P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:19 am 

Warheart01 wrote:

My idea: the Koenigsegg might get an acceleration benefit out of it, but I fully expect the cornering speeds to give a decisive advantage to the Valkyrie. Lap time is very dependent on cornering speeds - you need to brake less, you're carrying more speeds into the corners, through it, and carry more speed onto the following straights. This would negate the few milliseconds that are spent shifting up. Expect the Valkyrie to get to the braking zone of T1 first, and that would be the last time it's ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am 

Exediron wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

Take a look at Formula E; some cars don't shift, some have 2 gears, some have 3 or even more. It's not a huge advantage to not need to shift there, and I don't think it would be on a hypercar either. These modern racing gearboxes shift gears in milliseconds, and it's seamless; with hybrid systems, I'm not even sure there's ever a loss of power to the wheels.

I could be wrong, and I hope to find out if/when we see representative times for both cars at the same track. But my expectation is that the Valkyrie will be faster, and not by a small margin. Koenigsegg's website actually gives downforce figures for the One:1, the first I've ever seen that on a manufacturer website. Among the highlights are:

Max lateral g-force: 2.0 g
Cd 0.45-0.50 with adaptable rear wings
Total Downforce at 260km/h: 610kg at 440km/h: 830kg

We don't know figures for the Valkyrie yet, but Adrian Newey's stated goal was to make it as fast as a (then) current F1 car. If they've actually achieved anything like that, it will be so much faster through the corners that the One:1 will have absolutely no hope of catching up. Two lateral g is less than half (much less for the current generation) what an F1 car car produce, and 610 kg of downforce is barely more than half the One:1's weight - anything that aspires to produce F1 levels of downforce will be producing at least its own weight, which I would expect the Valkyrie to hit.

With very similar power, and what ought to be an enormous cornering advantage, I really don't see how it's going to be even close. I'd still love to see a head-to-head comparison, though.

EDIT: And I just realized after typing all of that that you never mentioned the One:1! I read 'Project One' and 'Koenigsegg' and somehow combined them in my head. Ah well! :-P

I ment the one that recently beat the Chiron in the 0-400-0 battle, it dominated the Chiron.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:36 am 

Just to illustrate my idea on how important cornering speeds are, consider this example. A McLaren P1 has a power to weight ratio of 0.4hp/kg. A F3 car has a comparable (slightly better, but still comparable) power to weight ratio of 0.42hp/kg.

Lap times around Spa-Francorchamps:
F3: 2:11
McLaren P1: 2:38

So despite only 5% power to weight advantage, it goes 20% faster. That's what aero does for you...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 am 

Yes exactly, I don't argue with that. Depending on which track either of them will be the quicker car.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:43 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Yes exactly, I don't argue with that. Depending on which track either of them will be the quicker car.

Well, I'm not even sure you will find tracks where the Valkyrie wouldn't be faster. Monza would have to be the acid test, but even there I think the few milliseconds gained by not shifting would give advantage to the Koenigsegg.

Would like to see the comparisons though :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:47 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
I ment the one that recently beat the Chiron in the 0-400-0 battle, it dominated the Chiron.

The Chiron isn't really a well rounded performance car at all, though - it's a luxury car that happens to have an almighty power unit.

A lot of this hinges on whether the Valkyrie can actually deliver F1-level aero, but if it can, no amount of power on earth is going to keep it behind over a racing lap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:36 pm 

I think you can expect the Mercedes to dominate the hypercar space in terms of track times. It's basically built by the F1 team, has an F1 engine and a ton of downforce (take a look at the diffuser in the back of it). The La Ferrari, P1 and 918 will all be substantially slower over a single lap.

As for the Aston Martin; it's very exciting! I'm hoping this will be Red Bull vs. Mercedes in the production car space. The Project One will probably have it beat from an engine standpoint but this thing has serious aero. Similar to the F1 matchup.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:23 pm 

All this talk about power to weight ratio and aerodynamics, and my only thoughts are how bad those leather door release pulls make the entire interior look! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:32 pm 

I don't know how to post pictures but I went to the show and in the flesh the Valkyrie looks like it's from the year 3000. The project one and Koenigsegg don't even compare

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:39 am 

Well, for a fraction of the price Tesla just jumped into the ring. While it won't compete around a track due to aero the Tesla Roadster is supposed to go 0-100km in an astonishing 1.9seconds with a top speed over 400kph. All for around $200 000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 pm 

I might be wrong, the Valkyrie is probably the faster of the two unless you go in a straight line.

The Mercedes Project One looks like a beast, I want one. Shame about the mini-sharkfin though.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm 

Zazu wrote:
I don't know how to post pictures but I went to the show and in the flesh the Valkyrie looks like it's from the year 3000. The project one and Koenigsegg don't even compare

I think the Valkyrie is ugly as sin though. It doesn't appear as bad from eye level, but when you look at it dead on from front of behind I think its hella ugly (to use a technical term). I know these cars aren't set up to just be beautiful, but I'd hope for them not to be ugly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm 

Wanna see these against the Devel 16 though...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:02 pm 

I like it. Totally impractical, difficult to get into but stupidly fast. Would love to see it around a proper track.

Off-topic - McLaren are teasing P15 (New Ultimate Series model) at the moment with more coming Early Dec - I left McLaren before I saw too much but it'll likely have the 4 litre from the 720S and a much improved hybrid system over that in the P1. Lookswise, from the teaser shots I saw it had elements of P1 GTR, 720S and some of the future designs but thankfully different again and not just a revision of existing designs - that being a common complaint around 650S/675LT/570S.

It's a good time to be filthy rich.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

I'd like to see it against the Piranha P.666.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:31 pm 

Sevenfest wrote:
It's a good time to be filthy rich.

Now, I'm not filthy rich, but is there ever a bad time for it? :lol:

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:36 pm 

The Aston Martin Valkyrie is a technically impressive car that is will be amazingly quick. A measure of a car's performance comes down to three basic parameters, acceleration, braking, and cornering. Aerodynamic downforce generates both drag and downforce. The downforce is beneficial while drag is someing all engineers work hard at minimizing.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/jh-composite-p46-47-motors-aston-martin-valkyrie.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=750&h=500&crop=1

Think of the Valkyrie as a Formula One car that has been cleaned up, it has reduced aero drag by covering the major drag producing elements of a car, the wheels and open cockpit.

That weird front end basically allows a front wing to work, with lots of space around the wing and lots of space behind the wing to allow the proper evactuation of air. This is a car for the road, so it must have reasonable ground clearance. But that bottom of the car is one huge diffuser, it will generate a lot of downforce. Remember, most of the downforce in a Formula One car does not come from the wings but the underbody. Make no mistake, this is a car designed to accelerate, brake,and corner very well.

The final piece to the puzzle is aero drag. A car like the Koenigsegg is very slick, it gets to it's crazy top speed by being slick and having a monster engine in the back. But put that car on a race track against this Valkyeie and the Aston Martin will eat it for lunch in all cornering, and if the Koenigsegg has a long straight, then it's ability to attain higher velocities come into play.

Current Formula One cars have so much aero drag that at a little over 200 MPH the drag begins to equal drive power, and the car reaches peak velocity. So just like the road car comparison, Formula One is willing to sacrifice top end speed for downforce. That is what the Valkyrie does, it is sacrificing the slick body the Koenigsegg has for lots of downforce, but also cleaning it up to reduce drag, a luxury any Formula One car does not have.

Performance-wise (and make no mistake, this car is all about performance and can not carry a bad of groceries) this is a killer combination, and although it cannot attain the crazy top end speed of a Koenigsegg, it will eat it for lunch when it encounters corners. And geez, the Valkyrie won't be a slouch on the straights with it's 6.5-litre Cosworth V12.

On a side note, Aston Martin will construct the Valkyrie AMR Pro, 25 or 50 special editions of this car, for track-only use. They are going to go racing with this car, the ultimate test and putting their money where their mouth is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm 

Ennis wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

I'd like to see it against the Piranha P.666.

Not funny really

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
The Aston Martin Valkyrie is a technically impressive car that is will be amazingly quick. A measure of a car's performance comes down to three basic parameters, acceleration, braking, and cornering. Aerodynamic downforce generates both drag and downforce. The downforce is beneficial while drag is someing all engineers work hard at minimizing.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/jh-composite-p46-47-motors-aston-martin-valkyrie.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=750&h=500&crop=1

Think of the Valkyrie as a Formula One car that has been cleaned up, it has reduced aero drag by covering the major drag producing elements of a car, the wheels and open cockpit.

That weird front end basically allows a front wing to work, with lots of space around the wing and lots of space behind the wing to allow the proper evactuation of air. This is a car for the road, so it must have reasonable ground clearance. But that bottom of the car is one huge diffuser, it will generate a lot of downforce. Remember, most of the downforce in a Formula One car does not come from the wings but the underbody. Make no mistake, this is a car designed to accelerate, brake,and corner very well.

The final piece to the puzzle is aero drag. A car like the Koenigsegg is very slick, it gets to it's crazy top speed by being slick and having a monster engine in the back. But put that car on a race track against this Valkyeie and the Aston Martin will eat it for lunch in all cornering, and if the Koenigsegg has a long straight, then it's ability to attain higher velocities come into play.

Current Formula One cars have so much aero drag that at a little over 200 MPH the drag begins to equal drive power, and the car reaches peak velocity. So just like the road car comparison, Formula One is willing to sacrifice top end speed for downforce. That is what the Valkyrie does, it is sacrificing the slick body the Koenigsegg has for lots of downforce, but also cleaning it up to reduce drag, a luxury any Formula One car does not have.

Performance-wise (and make no mistake, this car is all about performance and can not carry a bad of groceries) this is a killer combination, and although it cannot attain the crazy top end speed of a Koenigsegg, it will eat it for lunch when it encounters corners. And geez, the Valkyrie won't be a slouch on the straights with it's 6.5-litre Cosworth V12.

On a side note, Aston Martin will construct the Valkyrie AMR Pro, 25 or 50 special editions of this car, for track-only use. They are going to go racing with this car, the ultimate test and putting their money where their mouth is.

I think the designer forgot about the aerodynamically brick-shaped number plate!:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:38 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I think the designer forgot about the aerodynamically brick-shaped number plate!:)

It could very well be used like on several NA MX5s

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:03 pm 

IDK why but this car just doesn't wow me in any regard. The side profile is likely it's best physical shape and it's just ok for me, but the rest of the car is
rather clumsy looking to me. The rear end is nice looking when viewing it from a normal point of view, but the open tunnel underneath is odd looking
regardless of how functional it is. The other thing the open underside tells me from a race-car point of view is that center of gravity is perhaps an afterthought
to the design of the body because of how high the engine sits in it. Would have made more send to set the drivetrain as low as possible on the car and then
figure out how to claw back the downforce placing the engine so low ends up eating, but even then I don't think if would be much.

The other area that concerns me with this being a "road" car is that the aero bits towards the front aren't bulky enough to withstand the rigors of driving on
every day roads. In the event you roll over a chunk or significant piece tire or anything that fell off another vehicle, the front wing and deflectors will be toast,
and possibly suspension arms.

I think this is a case of too much is going to prove to be too much, and I won't be surprised to learn it doesn't handle and perform as well as is being projected.

What I dislike more than anything is the fact that it's being peddled as an Aston Martin when they have nothing to do with it in any capacity. From design and
engineering, to the drivetrain, it's all produced by other companies and people who aren't a part of Aston Martin. I can't think of this as an "Aston Martin" so
I'll just refer to it as the Valkyrie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:22 pm 

Overall it's a Newey/Red Bull design with a Cosworth engine and constructed by Aston Martin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 pm 

My point exactly. It's not an Aston Martin really. Just Badged as such. Not a fan of manufacturers purchasing designs and peddling them off as their own.
As it is I'm not a fan of Aston Martin due to their less than excellent build quality even though they're beautiful looking cars, but this really turns me off.
It would at least make more sense if it carried some resemblance to the brand in some regard, but I guess a stenciled AM Logo in the paint job is enough
somehow. I wonder if Jay Leno is one of the 150 customers for the regular model or possibly for the race spec perhaps.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:49 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
IDK why but this car just doesn't wow me in any regard. The side profile is likely it's best physical shape and it's just ok for me, but the rest of the car is
rather clumsy looking to me. The rear end is nice looking when viewing it from a normal point of view, but the open tunnel underneath is odd looking
regardless of how functional it is. The other thing the open underside tells me from a race-car point of view is that center of gravity is perhaps an afterthought
to the design of the body because of how high the engine sits in it. Would have made more send to set the drivetrain as low as possible on the car and then
figure out how to claw back the downforce placing the engine so low ends up eating, but even then I don't think if would be much.

The other area that concerns me with this being a "road" car is that the aero bits towards the front aren't bulky enough to withstand the rigors of driving on
every day roads. In the event you roll over a chunk or significant piece tire or anything that fell off another vehicle, the front wing and deflectors will be toast,
and possibly suspension arms.

I think this is a case of too much is going to prove to be too much, and I won't be surprised to learn it doesn't handle and perform as well as is being projected.

What I dislike more than anything is the fact that it's being peddled as an Aston Martin when they have nothing to do with it in any capacity. From design and
engineering, to the drivetrain, it's all produced by other companies and people who aren't a part of Aston Martin. I can't think of this as an "Aston Martin" so
I'll just refer to it as the Valkyrie.

Well hell. I guess Adrian should've gotten your input before they got so far in the process.

I'm sure Newey weighed the trade offs between the CG and downforce and found a balance that works for the intended purpose.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:54 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
The rear end is nice looking when viewing it from a normal point of view, but the open tunnel underneath is odd looking

I'm guessing the amount of downforce produced by that massive tunnel is going to far exceed any loss due to center of gravity, if indeed the center of gravity is off at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 pm 

Hmmm, I wonder how many years from now untill I will be able to afford a good, low mileage used Valkyrie on Craigslist?

Saw a Mercedes SLR McLaren on BAT the other day that didn't meet reserve at $252,000. Guess I will just have to wait a couple more years...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:42 pm 

Longnose wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder how many years from now untill I will be able to afford a good, low mileage used Valkyrie on Craigslist?

Saw a Mercedes SLR McLaren on BAT the other day that didn't meet reserve at $252,000. Guess I will just have to wait a couple more years...

Hell will freeze over before you see a Valkyrie on craigslist lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:01 pm 

Impressive. I don't mind the aesthetics, they seem extremely functional.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:29 pm 

Haha, is that what the Valkyrie looks like underneath. Ok, I'll drop my case, it probably would wipe the floor with pretty much anything.

I would like to see it against the Mercedes Project One though.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm 

http://cdn2.evo.co.uk/sites/evo/files/styles/gallery_adv/public/2017/09/side_by_side_copy.jpg?itok=rYfTGjpX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:50 pm 

Nice Blinky!

As much as I'm not a fan of Mercedes vehicles, I'll take the Project 1 Hands down over the Valkyrie.
I think the Project 1 is the best thing Mercedes has ever created.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 pm 

We have supercars and hypercars, what do we call these cars that are going to raise the bar even further?

The Mercedes and Aston Martin/Red Bull have two completely different aero and drivetrain philosophies, it will be interesting to see how they perform and impress us. Personally, I want to see them competing on the track in some racing series.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
We have supercars and hypercars, what do we call these cars that are going to raise the bar even further?

The Mercedes and Aston Martin/Red Bull have two completely different aero and drivetrain philosophies, it will be interesting to see how they perform and impress us. Personally, I want to see them competing on the track in some racing series.

Funny how they never race hypercars in an official series

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:39 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Nice comparison! :thumbup:

The Mercedes is probably the better looking car, aesthetically, but it looks less extreme to me. The Red Bull (or Aston, if you prefer ;)) looks like every bit of it was designed for aerodynamic performance, whereas the Mercedes looks like it was designed to be very aerodynamic without compromising its looks. Unless the Merc power unit gives it a big advantage, I expect the Newey design to be quicker - but I'd still love to see them on the track together!