planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Tyre Rules with the 7 Compounds
Poll ended at Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 pm
1. Pirelli picks three compounds, teams select how many sets of each compound, no restrictions on how many compounds must be used in race 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2. Pirelli picks three compounds, teams select how many sets of each compound, must use two different compounds in race (current rules) 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
3. Pirelli picks three compounds, teams select how many sets of each compound, must use all three different compounds in race (making 2 stops essential) 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
4. Pirelli specify the softest compound practical for the circuit based on safety/reasonable degradation, then teams can fill their maximum sets from this compound and harder however they want, no restrictions in race 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
5. Completely open, teams can fill their maximum sets however they wish with any of the seven compounds with Pirelli only able to recommended maximum laps, no restrictions in race 55%  55%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:33 pm 

I am curious to see how you would all prefer tyre regulations to be setup for 2018 (lets pretend this is possible). I think the poll options are fairly self-explanatory. The only main flaw I see in the options is whether or not the qualifying rules with Q2 compounds becoming race compounds would need to be tweaked for a couple of the options.

I have allowed selection of two options as I can see how it is possible to want two of the options without being contradictory.

I would personally like to see option 3 or 4. I like option 3 because it would force teams to fully understand all three compounds on any given weekend well and would likely create different advantages to different cars throughout the race (this years cars might have seen Ferrari better on the soft compounds and Merc faster on the hard compounds). I also like option 4 because it would truly open the race strategies up and might actually see some meaningful strategy differences emerge. I also don't think either of these options would make the results too artificial, which is obviously preferred as the fastest car/driver combination should still have the best chance of winning.

Thanks for the memories Nico

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:38 pm 

No restrictions, as long as every tyre is safe for every track. If teams can make a different strategy work, more power to them.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:54 am 

I'd prefer option 5 as I'd like the teams to be wholly in control of their strategy, but not sure it'd be practical from a logistical and manufacturing point of view. My second preference would be option 1, subject to the same safety caveats. The downside, however, includes races such as Monaco, where the pole sitter would simply slap on the hardest compound and cruise around all race

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 am 

5 would be fantastic.

There would genuinely be a chance of a big upset if we got those rules, something we haven't had in a long time. Imagine if Red Bull and Ferrari all bring SS/S/M to Silverstone but the tyre wear turns out to be way harded than predicted. A midfield team brings a set of UH to the race and gets a podium, or even wins.

It won't happen though because Pirelli are too scared that their tyres might delaminate if someone brings supersofts to Catalunya. Then again, Hamilton drove his 2007 Bridgestones to the canvas in China but they still didn't delaminate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:39 am 

Option 5 for me every day of the week on the proviso that there'd be a big enough performance difference between the compounds as to not make one compound clearly advantageous over the others over a race distance.

Anything that adds another variable into the equation will do me.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:09 pm 

As long as the teams are made to start the race on the same tires they qualified on ( or at least went through Q2 on) I don't have much opinion on the matter. If you can make the entire distance of a race on one set of tires that works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:48 pm 

Some kind of rule that allows the hardest compound to be run from start to finish without having to pit would make it viable. It would have to be a bit like those 2005 tyres though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:48 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Some kind of rule that allows the hardest compound to be run from start to finish without having to pit would make it viable. It would have to be a bit like those 2005 tyres though.
This. Stop that tyre changing nonsense starting yesterday.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 am 

Fiki wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

Hold on, just let me check this.

Did I misread this or are you advocating a removal for the need for pit stops here Fiki?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:45 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

Did I misread this or are you advocating a removal for the need for pit stops here Fiki?

I'd be happy with that too, as long as it isn't such a powerful strategy that everybody will just no-stop. However, it probably would be...

I just want some genuine strategy variation in the field. Is that too much to ask?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:02 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

No, I don't advocate a removal of the need. I fail to see any need for them at all!
I never understood the attraction of seeing a driver lose all his hard work, through a pitstop that went wrong. It cost Massa his well-deserved world title. Such things go against the spirit of the sport.

I admit mandatory tyre stops aren't the only thing wrong with F1, though together with the DRS it is one of the most obvious.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi