planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:33 pm 

The current Mercedes PU is obviously very far ahead of the Honda. However, this is F1, even the weakest teams make great progress all the time. With three years of Honda development, I guess that the current Honda unit must be stronger now than the Mercedes was at some point in the past three (or four) years. Is there any way of knowing? Like, could we possibly figure out in some way that the current Honda is as powerful as the Mercedes was on month X of year Y? The best thing I've thought of are top speeds, but they're so heavily influenced by other factors apart from the PU that I don't think they're significant at all in this sense.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:43 pm 

Alonshow wrote:
The current Mercedes PU is obviously very far ahead of the Honda. However, this is F1, even the weakest teams make great progress all the time. With three years of Honda development, I guess that the current Honda unit must be stronger now than the Mercedes was at some point in the past three (or four) years. Is there any way of knowing? Like, could we possibly figure out in some way that the current Honda is as powerful as the Mercedes was on month X of year Y? The best thing I've thought of are top speeds, but they're so heavily influenced by other factors apart from the PU that I don't think they're significant at all in this sense.

The easiest comparison to make would be to last years ferrari engine which sits in the Sauber.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:48 pm 

Well Brundle saw data that puts the Honda ICE 11% behind the current Mercedes ICE so I guess it depends on how much improvement Mercedes have made over the years.

If for example they've gained 12% improvement from the 2014 ICE then yeah Honda would be ahead of the 2014 unit by 1% if you see what I mean. Or if they've made 8% gains then the current Honda would be 3% behind the 2014 Mercedes ICE. (Unless I'm having a brain fade and that doesn't add up).

So you could try and work it out that way if we knew Mercedes gains but speed trap data is worthless as there's too many variables like you say.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:17 pm 

It is difficult to tell as much of the time the Merc was being powered not only by the ICE but by power produced at the H unit being fed directly to the motor.

Just a quick explanation of my thinking here. The 'recovered' energy produced must be fed to the storage and re fed to the motor at a set rate and total amount. The power produced at the H unit is 'free', in that it is not measured or restricted, so can be fed in as obtained to assist the ICE. Honda was / is not able to do this, or indeed store enough in the 'battery' to have full use the allowed amount of energy.

The total difference over a lap is big, but the actual power produced at a particular point when both are working may not be huge.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:51 pm 

Alonshow wrote:
The current Mercedes PU is obviously very far ahead of the Honda. However, this is F1, even the weakest teams make great progress all the time.

I dont know ANYONE who thinks that Honda has made "great" progress. The idea is simply ludicrous.