planetf1.com

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:09 pm 

Remember in the old days when teams used subtle paint job changes to distinguish between cars

The most famous being the red 5 on Mansell's Williams ( they claimed 5 and 6 looked too similar, yet when boutsen took over the number 5 it went back to white) what's interesting is different colored numbers has rarely been done since (Stewart in 1999 and Merc last year stand out though)

Then you had Benetton's and renaults red on the nose like a tougne sticking out

Sauber at one point having red and yellow mirrors (the spare had petronas green )

Ferraris yellow squares on the wings

I'm sure arrows in 97 had red accents for hill and yellow for diniz

Can anyone think of other examples of subtle differences (using drivers names in place of tanac o doesn't count)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:49 pm 

Prost used a yellow headrest for Shinji Nakano during part of the 1997 season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:09 pm 
Ferrari has the yellow markings on one car.

https://img00.deviantart.net/9ef4/i/201 ... c0p0b0.jpg

But the new numbers have brought this back, Hamilton with his red 44 and Bottas with his light blue 77. The annoying thing is that the numbers aren't slight lower on the nose. But they are even bigger this year

https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content/up ... 428129.jpg

The Red Bull 33 and 3 are some of the worst graphic design I've seen. They both look like red blobs.

https://www.grandprixradio.nl/wp-conten ... 00x788.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 pm 

Coulthard had red wing mirrors for part of '97, whilst Hakkinen's were just chrome.

Sauber sticks out in my mind for '98. Herbert had a yellow headrest, Alesi's was red.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 pm 

I remember the sauber using red and yellow

I think Merc had to do that due to 44 and 77 looking too similar at a distance

Tyrel did it in 98 green accents for takagi and orange for rosset

Red bull should do something..like have Danny rics 3 yellow or something

In 96 didn't McLaren have one of the drivers numbers black?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:40 am 

For a time, the on-board camera housings were painted different colors to distinguish one team car from another.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:34 am 

One off Marlboro livery carried by Keke Rosberg promoting their light gaspers - Portugal 1986

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1c/65/6a/1c656a74b6f271e7fd5071b1d90d2ef5.jpg

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:00 am 

Coulthard had the Wings for Life livery in his last race, and in 1997 the HYPE sponsorship on the Williams bargeboards were in green and orange - but reversed for Frentzen compared to Villeneuve.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 am 

MB-BOB wrote:
For a time, the on-board camera housings were painted different colors to distinguish one team car from another.

Yes, Schumacher had red and Barrichello had yellow from memory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 am 

Siao7 wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:

That was an FIA rule, the first numbered car in a team had red, the other yellow.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:

That was an FIA rule, the first numbered car in a team had red, the other yellow.

I thought they had different colours anyway, before the FIA rule if memory serves me right. Not that it matters much!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:29 pm 

Bobafett wrote:
Remember in the old days when teams used subtle paint job changes to distinguish between cars

The most famous being the red 5 on Mansell's Williams ( they claimed 5 and 6 looked too similar, yet when boutsen took over the number 5 it went back to white) what's interesting is different colored numbers has rarely been done since (Stewart in 1999 and Merc last year stand out though)

Sauber at one point having red and yellow mirrors (the spare had petronas green )

Can anyone think of other examples of subtle differences (using drivers names in place of tanac o doesn't count)

I thought Mansells red 5 was because he won 5 races on the bounce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:36 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
Bobafett wrote:

na.. he had it before he won any races, they say it was to tell the different between the 5 and 6 but when Boutsen used a white 5 I have to be honest you could easily tell the difference between the numbers

I always think that any picture of rosbergs yellow McLaren looks like a normal McLaren faded, like as if the photo was leftin the sun too long or something, is there any pic of that next to prosts normal one?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:49 pm 

they could easily have different color halo's for each driver now to distinguish them

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:53 am 

Bobafett wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Bobafett wrote:

na.. he had it before he won any races, they say it was to tell the different between the 5 and 6 but when Boutsen used a white 5 I have to be honest you could easily tell the difference between the numbers

I always think that any picture of rosbergs yellow McLaren looks like a normal McLaren faded, like as if the photo was leftin the sun too long or something, is there any pic of that next to prosts normal one?

Could'nt find any of them side by side in Portugal so this is the best I could find.

Rosberg Estoril 1986 vs Rosberg Brands Hatch 1986
http://en.f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/interim-liveries-mclaren-1986-1000x707-1000x707.jpg

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:57 am 

Bobafett wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Bobafett wrote:

Fair enough, no idea where I got that thought from then...