planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:56 am 

Blake wrote:
A one hour difference isnt going to change anything... good or bad. NASCAR races don't start untill 11am EST at the earliest, and other than the 500, Indy car starts are generally later than that. If F1 starts at 8 instead of 7, the race and post race will be over well before.

What I hope to see the end of is part of the broadcast on one channel and part on another... that I usually can't find. That also screws up attempts to record the race and post race.

I hope this never changes. NASCAR is typically on a Sunday evening over here, most races kicking off around 7.20pm. I literally have nothing else to do on that day at that time but watch NASCAR. Suits me down to the ground. It's a nice way to cap off a weekend

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:59 am 

I'm assuming the change in race start time impacts the lower formulae also? I'm not great at tuning in to F2 and GP3 because of their start times. I believe later starts won't have an effect on me watching F1 but will improve my watching of the lower formulae

It will also be helpful when attending GP weekends. They're usually a hectic few days featuring a few late nights in nightclubs - later starts will be greatly appreciated!

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am 

I can’t wait for the next round of changes.

My hope is for a change to a 7 litre, pushrod V8 with a pair of big ol’ Holleys.

A Hemi powered F1, in Richard Petty blue would be a sight (and sound) to behold. MOPAR or no car.

Cheers,
Noel

PS Bernie, please Come back, all is forgiven.... You can make F1 great again.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:25 am 

DuckMcF wrote:

My hope is for a change to a 7 litre, pushrod V8 with a pair of big ol’ Holleys.

A Hemi powered F1, in Richard Petty blue would be a sight (and sound) to behold. MOPAR or no car.

Cheers,
Noel

PS Bernie, please Come back, all is forgiven.... You can make F1 great again.....

Oh how we have short memories.

Bernie started all this crap. The move to pay TV was all his idea.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
DuckMcF wrote:

Cheers,
Noel

Oh how we have short memories.

Bernie started all this crap. The move to pay TV was all his idea.

It looks like I need to work on making my sarcasm more obvious...

Cheers,
Noel

PS I’ve always loved that Keith Miller quote in your sig.
Apparently Bradman thought that Miller didn’t take cricket seriously enough and that quote neatly sums up why.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:38 am 

Mayhem wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
Blake wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

A ten minute delay? Is that all we are getting uptight about?

It's an hour and 10 minute delay from 14:00 local time to 15:10 local time

Pushed back an hr only for the european and brazilian gp but everything else has only delayed the race start 10min. But the actual tv broadcast starts on the hr. This is to allow people to watch the "tense moments" leading to lights out

"European & Brazillian gp...... it has been decided to move the schedule of every session back by one hour across the whole weekend for each of the above-mentioned Grands Prix."

Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... -2018.html

Surely the all important "tense moments leading to lights out" can be seen on the pre-race show? Are there markets that do not broadcast some type of pre-race show? I do not understand what their reasoning is on this at all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:51 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Surely the all important "tense moments leading to lights out" can be seen on the pre-race show? Are there markets that do not broadcast some type of pre-race show? I do not understand what their reasoning is on this at all.

In these "markets" we get to see the entire hour-long pre-race show. IMO, the pre-race show is about 50-minutes longer than it needs to be, as most of it is boring beyond belief.

So, whether we like it or not, Liberty feels that the pre-race show can be done away with, by having a shorter warm-up at the top of the hour, instead. Almost all sporting events shows broadcast on TV are done this way, including last week's Rolex 24 at Daytona WEC race, where a traditional, "exactly top-of-the-hour" start began at 40 minutes past the hour to accommodate another (boring) pre-race show, the race starting at 1:40 rather than 1pm.

In sum, sports events that dictate an exact "top-of-the-hour" traditional start are inherently NOT TV friendly.

The only problem I see is that the 10-minute later start jams up the post race show at the back end. The few races that take the full 2-hours will spill over for certain, unless Liberty also hopes to (logically) shorten the Singapore race... which would be a welcome change, actually. IMO, the Singapore race has always been 6-7 laps too long.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:15 pm 

I like the change as getting in your seat for the start of FP1 at a number of circuits can be a pain, and I’d welcome the extra hour delay. That would be particularly welcome at more badly organised tracks like Monza.

As for the races starting at 10 past the hour, that seems to be almost purely for the benefit of U.S. broadcasters, where their shows cut to commercial break before they’ve barely begun, although I think it’s cute they tried to come up with some nonsense about building tension as being the reason. Either way, I really don’t think it harms anything.

Last edited by klevispin on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 am 

kleefton wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
Blake wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

A ten minute delay? Is that all we are getting uptight about?

It's an hour and 10 minute delay from 14:00 local time to 15:10 local time

Pushed back an hr only for the european and brazilian gp but everything else has only delayed the race start 10min. But the actual tv broadcast starts on the hr. This is to allow people to watch the "tense moments" leading to lights out

"European & Brazillian gp...... it has been decided to move the schedule of every session back by one hour across the whole weekend for each of the above-mentioned Grands Prix."

Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... -2018.html

In Ireland when I was a kid we got the full works on our #1 state broadcaster RTE - qualy & race, hour long pre-shows, tours of the host cities, interviews with drivers, contract rumours, tech updates and always and ever some update from Jordan

When the heady days of Irvine/Jordan unlikely title assaults subsided, the coverage was pared back. By the late 2000s we got coverage starting at 12.55, race at 1 on an independent sports channel. These days Ireland doesn't cover it at all. We rely on the British channels now

I have no doubt that some nations get coverage at 1 or someway during the formation lap, whichever is latest. I bet it drives their viewers cracked

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:16 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Liberty is a US company, and it is logical to assume they would try out things more in step with US practices.

With this change in schedule, Liberty are (indirectly) addressing the Pay TV issue, that it serves a cornered and contained market, and is a dead end for any progress. You can not grow from Pay TV, you just reap the rewards. Free to air is the path for drawing in new viewers and fans, and offers growth.

I live in Canada and enjoy free to air. I have my entire life. I consider watching ads as reasonable compensation, because asking me to pay for a series is just plain nuts. No way.

And now on the the second question .. why is there so much favoritism towards Europe? Basically the schedule leans heavily towards pleasing the European TV audience with very convenient time slots. But if Formula One is to become truly global and draw in larger audiences by forgotten markets, then they must accommodate the local schedules.

F1 is a global sport blinky that is European centric as the sport began in Europe, most teams are based in Europe and most races are in Europe.

If Liberty really want to grow the sport I would have thought they'd manipulate the start times to better cater for the Asian market. China has over 1 billion people and so does the country on the other side of the Himalayas. S/E Asia has a population of over half a billion. That's about what, 35 odd % of the global population that's ripe for the picking where's there's pretty much no motor racing competition. The US has predominantly NASCAR and Indy already well established as the major motor racing competitions, plus other sports such as NFL, MLB, NBA & NH and lets not forget Monster trucks.

Also, if LM have decided to get in step with US practices, can we now look forward to drivers thanking 48 sponsors at every interview, oval racing and parts of the race being sponsored e.g,"Now Vettel will serve his drive through penalty, sponsored by McDonalds. McDonalds drive through, getting you back on the road quicker"

**Disclaimer**

To all our friends States side, take most of the above post, particularly the last paragraph, not as a hostile belittlement of your culture but as a humorous critique only. I wasn't going to add this but I really can't be bothered defending my post to those who may have temporarily misplaced their sense of humour.

It is all good with me Jezza13. I did not select Basil for my avatar without a reason.

I fully comprehend that Formula One is Euro-centric. But I also believe that the sport is stagnating, and must find ways to engage and draw in young and new fans. And without any doubt, the first target audience Liberty have on their cross hairs is the US market. So the changes they hope to implement have two main priorities, to allow the sport to be more attractive for new fans, and grow the US market.

I am not whining or complaining because I willingly allowed myself to watch, but for most fans in the Americas, the race times are just nuts. I consider myself lucky if the start time is just 8:00 AM Sunday morning. And that pretty well messes up partying Saturday evening. I do not resent the European audience, but I firmly believe that any sporting event should be in tune with the local area. It happens with the World Cup, it happens with the Olympics. So until Formula One follows this pattern, they can never claim or hope for the prestige of these events.