planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Williams FW41 Unveiled!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:26 pm 

Sadly the Halo KILLS the beauty of the car and Williams clearly didn't opt to design any bodywork to make it both more aero efficient and aesthetically pleasing.
I'm feeling the Paddy Lowe influence on it for some reason.

The Launch Video is really well done too. High production value.

http://www.williamsf1.com/racing/news/2 ... 018-season

Edited by Mod Aqua so it has embedded tweet rather than link to MP4

Title edited bu P-F1 Mod to correct chassis name

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 pm 

Is it immersed in some black choco? I see the same with some other teams, what is behind that trend?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Is it immersed in some black choco? I see the same with some other teams, what is behind that trend?

Vain attempt to make it harder to see what they've got going on down below i'd imagine, not that any of the serious aero-trickery bits will be shown on these renders/attached to the show cars at launch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:43 pm 

One of the things I've not seen with the Halo is how the drivers get out of the cockpit.
We already see a multitude of methods, especially when there's a battery issue.

I can see getting drivers getting out of a Halo cockpit being awarded dismount marks like gymnastics. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 pm 

Still getting used to Lance Stroll, No. 1 driver.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 pm 

Ferrari style sidepods seem to be all the range,two for two so far, but then Haas have the obvious link up and Williams have the ex-Ferrari aero guy there now so probably not surprising. Some Mercedes aero details with the shovel thing under the nose and the jagged edge of the floor in the bargeboards.

Be interesting to see if any of the other big 4 budget wise copy those Ferrari sidepods or stick with their own concepts. In the press release Williams mention a redesigned package for the Mercedes unit and it's obviously doable to have the Ferrari sidepods withe the Mercedes new layout as Williams have shown so I'm probably putting two and two together and getting five but I'm guessing Mercedes will have the Ferrari sidepods too.

If the Renault's compatible too I'll go with Renault (works) copy it too but Red Bull and McLaren don't and stick with their own Newey/Prod led designs.(No reason, just a hunch)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:58 pm 

I just don't see a problem with the halo. The 2014 noses looked more stupid on some of the cars (Caterham and Toro Rosso especially) to me and also didn't really serve as something as important as the halo. It doesn't bother me and I think Williams have done a great job at making it blend in with their livery. And ever since Lotus went, I think this livery has been my favourite and could likely be this year too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:53 pm 

The car reminds me of a Force India! and have they copied Ferrari sidepods from last year. We will soon get use to Halo, I think F1 could keep an eye on indycar's solution the screen but now it feels like it is what it is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:32 am 

This is the first car to be built under the complete control and guidance of Paddy Lowe. He also stated that this car features "great advances in aerodynamic performance". This is a brand new aero philosophy. Dick de Beer (ex Ferrari) is also new to Williams, as the new Head of Aerodynamics.

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl/Y97BXqL0/s8/f1-williams-fw41-launch-2018-williams-fw41.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:38 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
This is the first car to be built under the complete control and guidance of Paddy Lowe. He also stated that this car features "great advances in aerodynamic performance". This is a brand new aero philosophy. Dick de Beer (ex Ferrari) is also new to Williams, as the new Head of Aerodynamics.

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl/Y97BXqL0/s8/f1-williams-fw41-launch-2018-williams-fw41.jpg

When it comes to Williams, the car's not the problem, it's the drivers!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:49 am 

I disagree. Masa was very solid in his tenure there and Stroll was pretty decent in his first season. Give them an honest fair shake before passing such judgment. Personally if it were me, I’d drop Kubica in effective immediately both for what he can do inside the car and for the attention and exposure it would bring to the team and the sport in general and have one of the other 2 guys as a reserve driver.

The one thing I’m hoping for is that Paddy’s experience with Mercedes aero systems were built upon so Williams can once again become a staple of the sport. I’m loving how Claire is running the team in bringing in key people and letting them do their jobs unhindered or without micro managing things. IMPO Paddy’s track record since his time at McLaren leads me to feel he was exactly the right hire for Williams to bridge the gap to the front runners. Hope I’m right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:48 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Personally if it were me, I’d drop Kubica in effective immediately both for what he can do inside the car and for the attention and exposure it would bring to the team and the sport in general and have one of the other 2 guys as a reserve driver.

But that's the thing, Kubica will not be racing because he hasn't convinced Williams (nor Renault, for that matter) about the "what he can do inside the car" part. Kubica's been out for 7 seasons, and there's no way of saying he'll ever get back to the level he reached before his accident. And they had Sirotkin, doing better during the AD test, with recent single seater racing experience, and also with more money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48 am 

mds wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Personally if it were me, I’d drop Kubica in effective immediately both for what he can do inside the car and for the attention and exposure it would bring to the team and the sport in general and have one of the other 2 guys as a reserve driver.

But that's the thing, Kubica will not be racing because he hasn't convinced Williams (nor Renault, for that matter) about the "what he can do inside the car" part. Kubica's been out for 7 seasons, and there's no way of saying he'll ever get back to the level he reached before his accident. And they had Sirotkin, doing better during the AD test, with recent single seater racing experience, and also with more money.

I would add that the PR value would quickly sour if Kubica is indeed slow. I think they got the best value out of it during the selection process and were wise to cut it off when they did

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 pm 

Some interesting shapes on this car, that's for sure. I wonder if the funny shape of the side pods has something to do aerodynamically with the halo?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 pm 

F1 Livery Histories wrote:
Some interesting shapes on this car, that's for sure. I wonder if the funny shape of the side pods has something to do aerodynamically with the halo?

The different sidepod was done last year by Ferrari. The radiator intake was moved back and up to clear a path for the air to be driven into the cooling inlet, avoid the turbulence from the front suspension arms, and also free up a significant space beneath with which to guide the airflow around the sidepods.

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl/Y9oyn8X0/s8/f1-british-gp-2017-sebastian-vettel-ferrari-sf70h-cockpit-shield.jpg

So for the radiator inlets Williams have adopted a new aero philosophy. The differences are very obvious when you compare it with the 2017 car.

http://e2.365dm.com/17/02/16-9/20/skysports-williams-f1-fw40_3897527.jpg?20170225094035

The problem is that this is a very complicated part of the car. Whatever happens at the radiator inlets affects everything behind it, the rear wing and diffuser. The real fly in the ointment is the safety requirement to have side impact protection installed to the side of the driver.

http://i.imgur.com/CPziCzS.jpg

Although very necessary, that side impact structure gives engineers nightmares because they must locate it properly, yet it should not have a negative effect on the car's aero.

Even for the 2016 championship car, the Mercedes AMG F1 W07, engineers had to compromise.

https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/images/mgl/2jbvG5z2/s8/f1-spanish-gp-2016-mercedes-amg-f1-team-w07-side-pods.jpg

If you can make the inlets smaller, you get less drag. Less drag delivers more speed. In the 2018 Williams you can clearly see the side impact structure not hidden, and actually being used to guide the air, and all the guide vanes to direct the turbulent air from the suspension down and away from the radiator inlets.

So I will ask it first, will we see this new aero philosophy on other cars?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 am 

G926 wrote:
One of the things I've not seen with the Halo is how the drivers get out of the cockpit.
We already see a multitude of methods, especially when there's a battery issue.

I can see getting drivers getting out of a Halo cockpit being awarded dismount marks like gymnastics. :lol:

[Uncredited image removed]

The halo will take getting used to. :frown:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:42 am 

Halo aside I'd say that's a pretty good looking car. Trouble is with that driver line up, it will be hard to tell how good it actually is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:45 am 

This is well worth a look. 2018 Williams and Haas versus 2017 Ferrari. I couldn't post the image cos it's too big. Click here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... nt/dud1kwe

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:26 pm 

The fact that the Halo is colored in white makes it easier on the eyes on a white car. But I am still hopeful a team will find a way to make the halo look good and the rest of the teams will copy and paste.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:21 am 

Is it my eyes or is the williams shorter than the ferrari and the haas?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:39 am 

It looks pretty racy, I like it. The halo isn't as terrible (even though it's still terrible) as first thought.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:17 am 

There's a very noticeable "droop" in the body work behind the sidepod entry. They had a similar thing last year. But much more noticeable on this car and much more noticeable compared to the other cars released so far.