PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:14 pm 

Here's the 2018 contender for Ferrari:

Source - http://www.imgur.com

Source - https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/form ... iloDS2.jpg

Source - https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/form ... H_Alto.jpg

Last edited by UnlikeUday on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:22 pm 

The wee airboxes on the sidepod.
Only 2018 to have that so far. Whatever its for!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:25 pm 

Strange looking detail on the back of the wing mirrors, almost looks like forward facing cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:36 pm 

The most unique design so far

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:39 pm 

Well she isn't pretty that's for sure!

Certainly different to the others we have seen so far.

Livery wise... It's just another Ferrari, I think there was too much white last season but maybe too little this year. I cannot stand the bunching of the sponsors on the side pods but it is what it is.

Hopefully they'll put up more of a fight this year (which can last the whole season)

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:46 pm 

Those sidepods look pretty radical to me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:49 pm 

Once again, the car with smallest sidepod intakes. Once again completely different concept to others. I hope it works out.
Caught glimpse of s duct and vanes during live broadcast.
Looks like they have abandoned the short wheelbase considering how badly they did on high speed flowing circuits last year. Would be interesting.

Last edited by funkymonkey on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:54 pm 

Livery is kinda meh. But nobody expects much from them.
Looks like a lower T-wing on the back of the engine cover.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 pm 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWpZky7X4AAtW0I.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWpa7ZYX0AA7i_X.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 pm 

Look how tiny actual intakes are.

Edit.

Looks like there is split intake on the upper area. Unlike what one might think seeing it from the 45° angle, the intake appears to be split horizontally.

This front top shot shows it properly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:07 pm 

Only the last picture shows in full how radical it is. The air intakes are extremely small. And the back of the car is very tight, but that is also ween with other competitors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:48 pm 

What worries me a bit is that Ferrari have lengthened the wheelbase while Mercedes have kept the same as last year. I was hoping for the opposite as the team that got it right last year has an extra year of knowledge with their concept. That said Ferrari seem to have made more drastic changes with their car in other areas so who knows. Looks fast in any case and i'm glad they worked the halo in with the livery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:09 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Wow, that break intake is so much smaller. I kind of like the all red wings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 pm 

It really has shrunk them, good job.

Looks strange with no engine cover or rear wing sponsor at the moment so wont comment on the livery but the sidepods again look so aggressive and well developed. Also looks like they've copied some things from McLaren around the nose.

I think it was the right call to extend the WB to reduce drag on more circuits and their mirrors look quite interesting too. Overall I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:55 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Looks strange with no engine cover or rear wing sponsor at the moment so wont comment on the livery.

Been rumoured that PM might be attempting to put their e-cig branding on the car... could be the reason its still blank thus far.

As for the car itself... the Ferrari logo in the center of the Halo makes it stand out and I really don't like it. Also seems.... for want of a better phrase, 'too' red. A darker red (and a return to black wings) would be more up my street. Looks mega developed around the sidepods, that could well be the area that Ferrari stand out the most as pretty much everyone is following them down that road.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

Looks strange with no engine cover or rear wing sponsor at the moment so wont comment on the livery but the sidepods again look so aggressive and well developed. Also looks like they've copied some things from McLaren around the nose.

I think it was the right call to extend the WB to reduce drag on more circuits and their mirrors look quite interesting too. Overall I like it.

My gut feeling at the moment is that they have moved firmly into the lead. We'll of course have to wait and see how things play out on track but I think they are going to be quickest as an initial guess. They just seem to be the most aggressive and the most in-tune with how to exploit these technical regs. I find the Merc design to be conservative by comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 pm 

I like the all-red. Did someone say Santander was leaving Ferrari? I guess that's where the white has gone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 pm 

No "definitely not a marloboro logo" logo?

I like that's it's different. But is it the ugliest car so far?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:05 pm 

I think it looks pretty nice. Hope it’s quick too!

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:34 pm 

I don't think it's particularly ugly, except for the halo and shark fin, but they all have that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Looks strange with no engine cover or rear wing sponsor at the moment so wont comment on the livery.

Been rumoured that PM might be attempting to put their e-cig branding on the car... could be the reason its still blank thus far.

As for the car itself... the Ferrari logo in the center of the Halo makes it stand out and I really don't like it. Also seems.... for want of a better phrase, 'too' red. A darker red (and a return to black wings) would be more up my street. Looks mega developed around the sidepods, that could well be the area that Ferrari stand out the most as pretty much everyone is following them down that road.

I wonder how many issues they might run into if it is IQOS. I'm not that well informed on the whole vape thing and rules around its advertising but as I understand it iqos still contains tobacco so might fall foul. Be interesting to see what happens there anyway.

I'm not sure on the colour either but I remember hating the McLaren colour last year at launch in a not very well lit room but loved it on track so I'll wait and see but I'd take a darker red and black wings in a heartbeat yeah.

Agree about the sidepods too. I was a little surprised STR/Merc/Renault and it looks like McLaren have all ignored a switch to those style though in favour of still developing their own concepts so maybe it's not the silver bullet we all seem to think but either way Ferrari are at the forefront of it,yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:06 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

My gut feeling at the moment is that they have moved firmly into the lead. We'll of course have to wait and see how things play out on track but I think they are going to be quickest as an initial guess. They just seem to be the most aggressive and the most in-tune with how to exploit these technical regs. I find the Merc design to be conservative by comparison.

I can see where you're coming from but the only thing I'd say is it wasn't Mercedes who had to make the WB change which surprised me a bit. Merc stayed as they were and Ferrari had to extend a bit to come up to near them and while Ferrari's sidepods do look more developed and aggressive, the bargeboard area on the Mercedes is equally as aggressive and impressive whereas Ferrari's is a bit more sparse in comparison.

One seems to be a little ahead in some areas but not quite in the other but we'll have to wait and see of course but they were both coming from such strong bases it could go either way for me.

And then there's Red Bull, and Renault are talking a big game on the engine side (Over 950bhp and can make 7 races on the dyno, they say they've done 11x as many miles on the dyno as they'd managed before pre season last year which is insane)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 pm 

Looks like easily the most innovative so far, so... either they've shown their hand more than the other teams, or they're going to be a serious challenger.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 pm 

Way off topic for a second so apologies but every winter testing it does my nut in having to check if I've misspelled-sidepods,bargeboards and downforce etc..

Why aren't these real words by now with an official spelling in English or am I indeed misspelling them and they all have to be two separate words?

It drives me bonkers every year. :x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:27 pm 

Is it me or does the Ferrari seem very aggressive because those sidepods are so narrow and compact. Merc on the other hand seems a bit wider but lower. Might mean that the Ferrari has a slight aero advantage but higher centre of gravity?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 pm 

The colour of the livery seems way too strong to look at, but hopefully it's a lot easier on the eye on the track. Even though it doesn't look great with the sponsor placing and all, I like it. The sidepods definitely look more adventurous, and hopefully this means that they found the right formula for 2018.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:03 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

I can see where you're coming from but the only thing I'd say is it wasn't Mercedes who had to make the WB change which surprised me a bit. Merc stayed as they were and Ferrari had to extend a bit to come up to near them and while Ferrari's sidepods do look more developed and aggressive, the bargeboard area on the Mercedes is equally as aggressive and impressive whereas Ferrari's is a bit more sparse in comparison.

One seems to be a little ahead in some areas but not quite in the other but we'll have to wait and see of course but they were both coming from such strong bases it could go either way for me.

And then there's Red Bull, and Renault are talking a big game on the engine side (Over 950bhp and can make 7 races on the dyno, they say they've done 11x as many miles on the dyno as they'd managed before pre season last year which is insane)

Very possible. A lot of possibilities this year. I do like the rear of the Mercedes. We'll have to see how that Renault engine performs but RBR and McLaren might both be able to mix it up as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:55 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Only the last picture shows in full how radical it is. The air intakes are extremely small. And the back of the car is very tight, but that is also ween with other competitors.

Until last year, the traditional method was to just place the radiator intakes in a position where they had air that was disturbed by the suspension arms and other thingies. But the simple logic is that you want a clean and undisturbed air intake to allow it to be more efficient. So the radiator intakes are now as high as possible, and many boards and thingies ahead of the radiator intakes are there to direct the disturbed air away from the radiator inlets, and direct the clean airflow above the suspension arms into the radiator intakes.

Siao7 wrote:

Brake intake ducts sizes are specific to each track. Engineers come to a track with a handful of different brake duct sizes, and install the one that is at it's minimum size, yet allows enough air for optimum cooling.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:58 am 

Looks nicer with less white than last year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 am 

I know it goes against everything that is Ferrari, but to my eyes the team could really do with something of a livery change.

Other than the cool sidepod intakes, which others have gone with as well, it's pretty uninspiring look at this stage. Ferrari seem to only play it safe these days, so I wasn't expecting anything that caught the eye.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Siao7 wrote:

Brake intake ducts sizes are specific to each track. Engineers come to a track with a handful of different brake duct sizes, and install the one that is at it's minimum size, yet allows enough air for optimum cooling.

I know that Blinky, but these are the generic images, I wonder why they would have two brake ducts with such a huge size difference. What did make a good impression though was the clearance that the new car has behind the brake duct, compared to the old one. How much more sculpted and smaller the sidepod looks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:32 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
What worries me a bit is that Ferrari have lengthened the wheelbase while Mercedes have kept the same as last year. I was hoping for the opposite as the team that got it right last year has an extra year of knowledge with their concept. That said Ferrari seem to have made more drastic changes with their car in other areas so who knows. Looks fast in any case and i'm glad they worked the halo in with the livery.

I don't think the wheel-base was ever anything other than a red herring. The talk of difficulty in slow corners and setup was more related to other factors, rather than the small relative difference in wheelbases. Mercedes struggles related to the sudden removal of their suspension.

Ferrari have stuck with their overall concept, but their optimal length within that concept has increased slightly. It's not a biggy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:41 pm 

So Ferrari is also joining Mercedes in the Marina.

That is one long-ass car.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 pm 

Jep, I hate that F1 cars have become so large. Just look at the cars up to 2008, small, low, wide, racy!

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:56 pm 

A Ferrari should be scarlet, not red

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:16 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Jep, I hate that F1 cars have become so large. Just look at the cars up to 2008, small, low, wide, racy!

:?: cars are wider now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:19 pm 

Toby. wrote:
I know it goes against everything that is Ferrari, but to my eyes the team could really do with something of a livery change.

Other than the cool sidepod intakes, which others have gone with as well, it's pretty uninspiring look at this stage. Ferrari seem to only play it safe these days, so I wasn't expecting anything that caught the eye.

They had a great car last year, which could have been in the WDC fight until the last race with some better reliability and less driver errors.

It makes sense that they continue to develop last years concept.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm 

purchville wrote:
A Ferrari should be scarlet, not red

:thumbup:

Completely agree - it should be this colour:

[unsourced image removed]

Strange that they stuck with the bright red given that Santander is no longer a sponsor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

:?: cars are wider now.

I think that's the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:16 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Way off topic for a second so apologies but every winter testing it does my nut in having to check if I've misspelled-sidepods,bargeboards and downforce etc..

Why aren't these real words by now with an official spelling in English or am I indeed misspelling them and they all have to be two separate words?

It drives me bonkers every year. :x
I think you have checked the wrong source. Have a look on https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bargeboard. I looked it up because that word is hundreds of years old and simply had to be there. But the others are there as well. Perhaps you should switch off your US spelling checker. They've been having problems with the English language for nearly as long as we've had bargeboards. ;)

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi