planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:39 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:12 am 

With testing being so restricted nowadays & teams only allowed 8 full days prior to Aus, will FIA add in an extra day next week?

Apparently, tomorrows weather isnt looking to good either, so that could be another lost day of testing?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 am 

cmberry20 wrote:
With testing being so restricted nowadays & teams only allowed 8 full days prior to Aus, will FIA add in an extra day next week?

Apparently, tomorrows weather isnt looking to good either, so that could be another lost day of testing?

Apparently the attempt to swap today for Friday wont happen as not all the teams agree and it needs unanimous agreement.

Also according to Autosport:
Quote:
In addition the FIA rules regarding testing specifically state that no test can be longer than four days, stipulating: "two tests, open to all competitors, of no more than four consecutive days' duration carried out between 1 February and 10 days before the start of the first event of the championship."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13458 ... et-to-fail

So its possible they wont be able to extend next weeks test even if they could all agree to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 am 

I'm sure that if the teams and FIA decide that it's in everyone's best interest to extend next weeks test they could hand wave the rules away with force majure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:50 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
cmberry20 wrote:

Apparently the attempt to swap today for Friday wont happen as not all the teams agree and it needs unanimous agreement.

Quote:
In addition the FIA rules regarding testing specifically state that no test can be longer than four days, stipulating: "two tests, open to all competitors, of no more than four consecutive days' duration carried out between 1 February and 10 days before the start of the first event of the championship."

So its possible they wont be able to extend next weeks test even if they could all agree to.

I think Williams have the track booked for a filming day on Friday, with Ferrari doing the same on Saturday, so that probably doesn't help in terms of extending it this week. But if they've lost a day and a half of running, I'd be a little surprised if they don't agree to bend that rule and extend it by another day next week.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:58 am 

pokerman wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
I think McLaren have been incompetent since the 20th century ended. It's like they're the only corporate entity that were actually hit by the millennium bug and they've never been able to shake it off

Erm, they were able to fight the exceptional Schumacher-Ferrari combo in 2000 and 2003, despite having inferior drivers to Schumacher. They were the fastest car in 2005, but again with the inferior drivers. In 2007 and 2008, they were behind Ferrari, but their better drivers got them a championship. Close to winning the WDC in 2010, maybe the joint-fastest car in 2012. I've never liked McLaren, but if this is your definition of incompetency in the 21st century for McLaren, then :lol:

How many titles did they win?

I don't think Mercedes winning the last four on the trot means that everybody else is incompetent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:07 am 

Testing started at 12pm local time and will run until 18:00 non stop.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:31 am 

owenmahamilton wrote:
Testing started at 12pm local time and will run until 18:00 non stop.

Whats funny is that teams were interested in going out earlier to get photos of the cars on track with snow all around, but now its all pretty much melted away so there's no point in them going out until it warms up a bit.

Can't much see the point of having testing run that late since the track will surely get too cold for any meaningful running sometime between 4-5pm. Hopefully the teams go out anyway as its nice to see the cars on track for us even if its a little pointless for them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:41 am 

The fact the teams could now agree to move the days despite having the track booked for 2 weeks is bonkers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:41 am 

PRFAN wrote:
mcdo wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!

I said last season that (and others said it too) the debacle was not all on Hondas shoulders, and that even with all they hype talk from its driver, the chassis was not that good, I am desperate to see how they do this year, so far not impressed, they had a wheel not fail and now an issue with the exhaust. And the driver keeps yapping as I think he took all the comments kind of personal.

Hopefully they come good this season, they must beat Toro Rosso by a great marging and lets see what StVan does.

I've always suspected that their problems the last few years weren't solely on the Honda side.
But yeah, there is no excuse this year. They have to be good, as long as the Renault PU is good. We have heard enough praise of their legendary chassis the last few years. Now, put up or shut up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:24 pm 

kleefton wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
mcdo wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!

I said last season that (and others said it too) the debacle was not all on Hondas shoulders, and that even with all they hype talk from its driver, the chassis was not that good, I am desperate to see how they do this year, so far not impressed, they had a wheel not fail and now an issue with the exhaust. And the driver keeps yapping as I think he took all the comments kind of personal.

Hopefully they come good this season, they must beat Toro Rosso by a great marging and lets see what StVan does.

I've always suspected that their problems the last few years weren't solely on the Honda side.
But yeah, there is no excuse this year. They have to be good, as long as the Renault PU is good. We have heard enough praise of their legendary chassis the last few years. Now, put up or shut up.

What's wrong with nuance? Irks me a bit that everything has to be black and white. What's more, how on earth do two issues during pre-season testing reflect on what happened last year? It's pre-season testing, things are bound to go wrong.

Anyway. McLaren should make a leap forward, but we shouldn't expect them to challenge RBR from the go. They've had to incorporate a new PU, and during the past three years they haven't been able to collect as much relevant data as the others, haven't been able to learn enough relevant things seeing as how they have had to run in compromised setups/settings to make up for several of the Honda's shortcomings. That is bound to give an impact on how they will start this season too. Limited testing doesn't help, and losing days (or big parts of a day) like yesterday and today doesn't either.

They should, however, catch up to RBR as the year progresses. That should be the goal, no doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
cmberry20 wrote:

Quote:

All the teams were in agreement for Friday running but according to Eric Boullier, two teams disagreed. Was this tactical or not but I wonder if the two teams were Mercedes & Ferrari?
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/925212/F1-testing-McLaren-Eric-Boullier-team-boss-Barcelona-Spain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:55 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
cmberry20 wrote:

Quote:

All the teams were in agreement for Friday running but according to Eric Boullier, two teams disagreed. Was this tactical or not but I wonder if the two teams were Mercedes & Ferrari?
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/925212/F1-testing-McLaren-Eric-Boullier-team-boss-Barcelona-Spain

I bet one of the teams will have been Williams who, as I previously mentioned, have a filming day booked at the track on Friday. Claire Williams, when interviewed by Ted Kravitz during his Notebook last night, didn't exactly seem too keen to have to rearrange that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:55 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:59 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
cmberry20 wrote:

Quote:

Most likely Williams who have a filming day booked Friday, and possibly Ferrari who have a filming day booked on Saturday although that's a bit more of a stretch since I'm sure they wouldn't have problems doing it without the 1 day break.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:38 pm 

mds wrote:

confirms Mclaren did their fastest time on glory runs fist couple of days lol.

They should have know if the weather forecast is so bad should have gone to Bharain or some other track where teams could do some testing :x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:46 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
mds wrote:

confirms Mclaren did their fastest time on glory runs fist couple of days lol.

They should have know if the weather forecast is so bad should have gone to Bharain or some other track where teams could do some testing :x

Logistically, Bahrain would be expensive when it comes to pre-season testing. The cold weather in Barcelona is way cooler than the typical weather at this time of the year. Such conditions where the climate is way colder than normal is prevalent in most parts of Europe.

Next week, the forecast is much better weather awaits the teams.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
I think McLaren have been incompetent since the 20th century ended. It's like they're the only corporate entity that were actually hit by the millennium bug and they've never been able to shake it off

Erm, they were able to fight the exceptional Schumacher-Ferrari combo in 2000 and 2003, despite having inferior drivers to Schumacher. They were the fastest car in 2005, but again with the inferior drivers. In 2007 and 2008, they were behind Ferrari, but their better drivers got them a championship. Close to winning the WDC in 2010, maybe the joint-fastest car in 2012. I've never liked McLaren, but if this is your definition of incompetency in the 21st century for McLaren, then :lol:

I don't think Mercedes winning the last four on the trot means that everybody else is incompetent.

I thought we were just talking about McLaren?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:13 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
cmberry20 wrote:

Quote:

Most likely Williams who have a filming day booked Friday, and possibly Ferrari who have a filming day booked on Saturday although that's a bit more of a stretch since I'm sure they wouldn't have problems doing it without the 1 day break.

Unless Williams' day would be rearranged for Saturday, therefore knocking Ferrari back to Sunday which they might not fancy either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:52 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:
Toby. wrote:
mds wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Nothing suddenly about Honda racking up laps though. Look at the Pirelli test at the end of last season with over 300 laps in two days with McLaren. Toro Rosso have just a bit less than half that in two days here and everyone's going nuts about it.

Thing is, that was with a PU that had been developed for a full year. It would've been REALLY bad they couldn't do a few testing days with relative reliability.
They are now using a new PU in testing. New development. Last time they were in a comparable situation was one year ago and it was a trainwreck.

I was wondering about that. Was it confirmed that they're using a new PU model at this test?

Aren't they all using brand new 2018 units?

From Ted's notebook on Sky:

Skip to 22:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndgoas8zimA

"It not a new engine. It is effectively a development of last years engine."

"They are thinking that they dont need, or are not in a position to debut a brand new engine yet, might come later in the season"

Ted has alluded to the other manufacturers following a similar route though with the focus being on retaining last years power levels with increased reliability as opposed to increasing the power, so how much of the above is unique to Honda I don't know.

Yeah it's not a complete re-design like Renault and Honda had last winter, just an evolution to mostly software but some hardware I'm sure, to increase reliability to run the extra 2 races.

Still did better than the last time they kept the same design over winter (2016-58 laps day 1) but if they'd gone backwards from AD test it would have been a big shock really.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:53 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

If the measure of competence is titles then everyone but Mercedes has been incompetent obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:14 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:

If the measure of competence is titles then everyone but Mercedes has been incompetent obviously.

The measure of competence isn't titles. But it can't be denied that McLaren have been serial underachievers throughout the 21st century. Despite all the years they have had the fastest cars and the best drivers, they have one WDC to their name in all that time. A WDC that was a fumbling bellyflop over the finish line

Highlighting the number of years they've fought for and lost championships does not make for good reading

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:42 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:

The measure of competence isn't titles. But it can't be denied that McLaren have been serial underachievers throughout the 21st century. Despite all the years they have had the fastest cars and the best drivers, they have one WDC to their name in all that time. A WDC that was a fumbling bellyflop over the finish line

Highlighting the number of years they've fought for and lost championships does not make for good reading

I'd agree with that yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:06 pm 

Well, well, well

Who'd a thunk that Mclaren would do more laps in a test than all the other teams put together :!:

If you're into pub quiz, this could be a regular question :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:23 pm 

I'm beginning to think McLaren have a bigger issue they aren't talking about...

"The mechanics of McLaren blowing air to cool the. area of ​​the turbo q is giving problems of overtemperature in the McLaren"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:50 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

"The mechanics of McLaren blowing air to cool the. area of ​​the turbo q is giving problems of overtemperature in the McLaren"

If it’s overheating in these conditions I’d say that’s certainly a problem!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:02 pm 

Alonso happy enough..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:04 pm 

Zoue wrote:
If it’s overheating in these conditions I’d say that’s certainly a problem!

Yeah, something to keep an eye on anyway. A guy on another forum seems to think it could be a relatively easy fix with thicker ceramic coating or reflective foil but who knows really.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:47 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:
Toby. wrote:
mds wrote:

Thing is, that was with a PU that had been developed for a full year. It would've been REALLY bad they couldn't do a few testing days with relative reliability.
They are now using a new PU in testing. New development. Last time they were in a comparable situation was one year ago and it was a trainwreck.

I was wondering about that. Was it confirmed that they're using a new PU model at this test?

Aren't they all using brand new 2018 units?

From Ted's notebook on Sky:

Skip to 22:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndgoas8zimA

"It not a new engine. It is effectively a development of last years engine."

"They are thinking that they dont need, or are not in a position to debut a brand new engine yet, might come later in the season"

Ted has alluded to the other manufacturers following a similar route though with the focus being on retaining last years power levels with increased reliability as opposed to increasing the power, so how much of the above is unique to Honda I don't know.

Yeah it's not a complete re-design like Renault and Honda had last winter, just an evolution to mostly software but some hardware I'm sure, to increase reliability to run the extra 2 races.

Still did better than the last time they kept the same design over winter (2016-58 laps day 1) but if they'd gone backwards from AD test it would have been a big shock really.

OK, thought it was new again. Considering last year wasn't really a great success.

Anyway, this should be encouraging. However, true test is when they turn it up to eleven...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:59 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Yes this is the point I was making. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:01 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

Maybe one reason why Alonso felt the need to go out?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:31 pm 

Taking a "wait-and-see" approach to McLaren this year. Preseason testing mishaps have become a tradition of sorts, so this really feels like the norm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:02 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

If only there was some sort of test before the season started to iron out these problems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:48 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

What do you mean?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

If only there was some sort of test before the season started to iron out these problems.

Or even 8 of them. 8O

Or better yet a full chassis dyno like Red Bull,Mercedes and Ferrari have so they can run the car and engine day and night for weeks before they even get to the test to iron out the niggling issues that can ruin those 8 days. Honda had one but sadly that neither worked (At least last year) or is available anymore...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:07 pm 

Looks like McLaren have a car for all weathers 8O

http://www.mclarentractors.co.uk/machines/2-8m-snow-plough-sale/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

What do you mean?

Since it was stated that the McLaren was suffering from high temperature issues, maybe that's why Alonso preferred to go out on the track in such cold weather (which would hopefully take care of the overheating issues faced by the car)!

Sarcasm at times is needed just to keep us all amused, especially yesterday when testing ceased!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 am 

Link for those who'll be following the last day of the test:
https://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/236443/follow-live-the-fourth-day-of-the-first-test-in-2018

Good news is that inspite of being foggy, the temperature is much warmer than yesterday & it's dry & we can expect good amount of running today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:27 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Link for those who'll be following the last day of the test:
https://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/236443/follow-live-the-fourth-day-of-the-first-test-in-2018

Good news is that inspite of being foggy, the temperature is much warmer than yesterday & it's dry & we can expect good amount of running today.

I read it will be up to 15 during day, so they can make up for some lost time :>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:33 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:20 am 

It's really unfortunate for (team name here) who not only lost half of day two and all of day three, but have been limited to (very low number here) laps today because of a (part of the car here) problem.

(Thought I'd type this out now for easy editing later today).