planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:13 am 

GingerFurball wrote:
Zoue wrote:
If them not winning titles is an indicator of incompetence, then why does that apply only to them?

Because McLaren have until relatively recently always been competitive and capable of winning races.

In 2005 McLaren had:

Adrian Newey as their chief designer
Works Mercedes support
Fernando Alonso signed on a pre-contract
Lewis Hamilton as a young academy driver

They should have absolutely dominated the last decade of the sport. Instead, due to poor management, Newey left and Alonso had quit by the end of 2007. Mercedes pulled their works support in 2009 and Hamilton grew sick and tired of McLaren's incompetence and left in 2012. All of which has led to the debacle of the last 5 years.

Very good summary. :thumbup:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 4th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:18 am 

Zoue wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
Red Bull have won races in 3 of the last 4 seasons despite being at an engine disadvantage, which is not within their control.

Losing top personnel and your engine supplier (who owned 50% of the team) due to your management style is worse.

edit: having said that, the non-existent relationship between Renault and Red Bull is down to incompetent management.

Except it’s not true. I’ve not seen anything that says Mercedes left McLarenbecause of Ron’s management style

I don't think they were too impressed with spygate of which I believe Mercedes had to foot most of the bill?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Toro Rosso Honda are lapping so many laps. Is it a coincidence that Honda's become so reliable after splitting with McLaren or 4th year was the lucky charm & McLaren just made a bad decision to split with Honda as Honda found the magic trick of reliability?

This still doesn't mean that the Honda engine is competitive though, what Honda can do with STR is be more patient, start with reliability and then start to find performance, with McLaren especially with Alonso on board they needed the performance tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:27 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
It's interesting. I actually think Hamilton would have a better chance of a 5th WDC with a 3 tenth advantage than a 5 tenth + Advantage.

A 3 tenth gap would put Bottas into the clutches of whoever had the next best package whilst 0.5 puts him back into the position of an extra retirement taking four races to overcome.

Yep like Rosberg revisited.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:21 am 

AravJ wrote:
kleefton wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Toro Rosso Honda are lapping so many laps. Is it a coincidence that Honda's become so reliable after splitting with McLaren or 4th year was the lucky charm & McLaren just made a bad decision to split with Honda as Honda found the magic trick of reliability?

We shall see. Honda has to prove that it has also made huge strides in the power department if we are to believe Mclaren made a mistake by dumping them. I'm not so sure of that. I think when we get to Melbourne, we will see Honda at the bottom of the trap speeds again.

What i find worrying is Mclaren is deafeningly quiet about how much more power they have.
I was expecting them to be singing praises about how much more shove they getting off the straight, jumping up and down like its their first time in a rollercoaster.
Positive at least they found good number of laps today, so maybe things are on the up

They would only say that if somehow they manage to win or get a podium which I honestly don't see it happening. May be few podium chances due to DNF or something might come. I do not see the point in praising engine and ending up 7th or 8th lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:37 am 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
Red Bull have won races in 3 of the last 4 seasons despite being at an engine disadvantage, which is not within their control.

Losing top personnel and your engine supplier (who owned 50% of the team) due to your management style is worse.

edit: having said that, the non-existent relationship between Renault and Red Bull is down to incompetent management.

Except it’s not true. I’ve not seen anything that says Mercedes left McLarenbecause of Ron’s management style

I don't think they were too impressed with spygate of which I believe Mercedes had to foot most of the bill?

First I've heard of that. I thought most of it was offset against Mclarens future FOM payments?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:29 am 

Source - http://78.media.tumblr.com/79d2e0b6332d ... 2_1280.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:49 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

First I've heard of that. I thought most of it was offset against Mclarens future FOM payments?

I've heard it before, since it's a claim that pokerman is fond of making. So far as I'm aware, he has no evidence to back it up with.

The closest I could find was this quote by Dennis, circa 2007:

Quote:
"Firstly, effectively, we will still have as an offset the revenue from the points earned to date. That will effectively half the size of the cheque we have to sign, if we ultimately accept this fine," McLaren boss Ron Dennis told a news conference on Thursday.

"But as you can see if you read our accounts, we turn over roughly $450-500 million USD a year, and we are debt-free, so obviously we are a very strong company with phenomenal growth.

"I jokingly asked [Mercedes motorsport director] Norbert [Haug] if he was going to chip in half, but we haven't really come to a conclusion on that negotiation."

If Mercedes was on tap to foot 'most of the bill', I doubt Ron would have joked with him about chipping in half. That sounds like McLaren paid it all, and I've never read otherwise. In fact, since they (ultimately unsuccessfully) claimed the fine as a tax deduction, that strongly argues that they did pay it.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:57 am 

Yes, I know not much has happened so far, but can we please keep to the topic of winter testing?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 am 

I was watching the highlights and really didn't mind the halo especially on the Red Bull and McLaren.

Am I in the minority?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:22 am 

d_dingbat wrote:
I was watching the highlights and really didn't mind the halo especially on the Red Bull and McLaren.

Am I in the minority?

From Australian Grand Prix onwards, You'll be in the majority!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:14 am 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
[quote="pokerman]How many titles did they win?[/quote]
I don't think Mercedes winning the last four on the trot means that everybody else is incompetent.[/quote]
I thought we were just talking about McLaren?[/quote]
If them not winning titles is an indicator of incompetence, then why does that apply only to them?[/quote]
It depends of what kind of incompetence you mean, Hamilton didn't leave McLaren because they built slow cars.[/quote]
Hamilton claims to have left McLaren because he wanted to emulate Schumacher in turning a team around and making history, but I guess you know his motives better than him?

Hamilton's motives aside, not winning titles is not on its own a measure of incompetence. Otherwise everybody bar Red Bull and Mercedes have been incompetent, and those two were at different periods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 am 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
[quote="pokerman]I thought we were just talking about McLaren?[/quote]

If the measure of competence is titles then everyone but Mercedes has been incompetent obviously.[/quote]
The measure of competence isn't titles. But it can't be denied that McLaren have been serial underachievers throughout the 21st century. Despite all the years they have had the fastest cars and the best drivers, they have one WDC to their name in all that time. A WDC that was a fumbling bellyflop over the finish line

Highlighting the number of years they've fought for and lost championships does not make for good reading[/quote]
The drivers play a big part in that. If not for Schumacher, Ferrari would arguably be just as "incompetent" as McLaren.[/quote]
Barrichello would have won 2 titles.[/quote]

And McLaren would also have won more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:22 am 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mcdo wrote:
The measure of competence isn't titles. But it can't be denied that McLaren have been serial underachievers throughout the 21st century. Despite all the years they have had the fastest cars and the best drivers, they have one WDC to their name in all that time. A WDC that was a fumbling bellyflop over the finish line

Highlighting the number of years they've fought for and lost championships does not make for good reading

The drivers play a big part in that. If not for Schumacher, Ferrari would arguably be just as "incompetent" as McLaren.

That's only guesswork. McLaren have legit had the fastest cars and best drivers and have damn all silverware to show for it. Ferrari actually won with their fast cars and top drivers

Why is it that drivers like Raikkonen, Hamilton, Alonso, Button had their greatest successes somewhere else?

well, that's why I put "arguably." If you feel that without Schumacher Ferrari would have had identical results , then that raises the question of whether any team should bother getting a top driver anyway.

Regarding Alonso and Hamilton, I think it's a tad unfair to blame McLaren for the fact that both drivers threw their toys out of the pram and messed up the title chances for the team in 2007. You can lead a horse to water, and all that. Button had his success when he had a dominant car (at least for the first half of the season). He's not done better before or since, so how is that down to McLaren's incompetence?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying McLaren couldn't have done better at any point. But no more than Ferrari in 2010 and 2012 (and 2017, come to think of it). I just think accusations of incompetence are a bit strong when titles are often decided by the smallest of margins

McLaren were not to blame for the spygate debacle which surely must have destabalised the team to an extent plus the terrible strategy in China were all Hamilton had to do was score points but they were more concerned with Hamilton beating Alonso and winning the race which meant leaving Hamilton out on bald wet tyres?

Ferrari didn't have the best car in 2010 and 2012 with Alonso at the helm they were actually over achieving.
McLaren were not to blame for Alonso and Hamilton having hissy fits all season. Alonso at least was directly involved in Spygate, too. It's easy to blame to blame the team and ignore the part the drivers play in it.

Hamilton beached the car, not McLaren. But hey, he was only the driver, after all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 am 

Zoue wrote:
McLaren were not to blame for Alonso and Hamilton having hissy fits all season. Alonso at least was directly involved in Spygate, too. It's easy to blame to blame the team and ignore the part the drivers play in it.

Hamilton beached the car, not McLaren. But hey, he was only the driver, after all.[/quote]

But it was Mclaren that f****d that strategy and kept him out on tyres that were down to the canvass. Don't get me wrong, Hamilton played his part by finding the only patch of gravel on the circuit, but McLaren can't be completely absolved on that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:00 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Hamilton beached the car, not McLaren. But hey, he was only the driver, after all.

But it was Mclaren that f****d that strategy and kept him out on tyres that were down to the canvass. Don't get me wrong, Hamilton played his part by finding the only patch of gravel on the circuit, but McLaren can't be completely absolved on that.
Fully agree they kept him out too long, but the driver should surely be giving feedback on the car's handling and drive accordingly when returning to the pits. Even if he'd lost places as a result of the strategy, he would still have won the WDC. But beaching it meant he went into the final race needing a result.

Point I'm making is that the bulk of that issue was driver related and it's a bit harsh to accuse the team of incompetence and failing to win titles when all they needed was the driver not to bin the car.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am 

One mod has already asked you to discuss testing. Now it's two. Create another thread if you want to talk about Ron, or a Schumacher-free early 2000s.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:02 am 

Apologies. I thought it was relevant to the accusations of their general incompetence with the issues they have faced in this testing, but I'll stop now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 am 

I'll get us back on-topic by jumping to the following conclusions based on two and a half days of running :lol:

- Mercedes are the team to beat, assuming they've sorted out the issues with the tyres they had last year
- Ferrari are a step behind and probably need to be more concerned about beating Red Bull to 2nd in the WCC than they do fighting Mercedes for 1st.
- Renault have jumped up to become the fourth fastest team - perhaps there is a podium in the offing at long last for Nico Hulkenberg?
- McLaren are the slowest Renault-powered team but are at least back regularly scoring points/making appearances in Q3.
- Force India are in a world of trouble, and have to hope that the fact the car they ran this week is so far removed from what they'll have in Melbourne is solely to blame for that. If not, they've slipped behind not only Renault and McLaren, but also Williams as well.
- None of Haas/Sauber/Toro Rosso appear to be cut adrift at the back of the field. All will score points.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am 

Whereas my conclusions based on running so far is that I don't really have much of a scooby do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:59 am 

Top speed-trap times
Pos Team Speed
1. Haas-Ferrari 209.0mph
2. Ferrari 207.7mph
3. Mercedes 207.1mph
4. Toro Rosso-Honda 207.1mph
5. Williams-Mercedes 205.8mph
6. Force India-Mercedes 205.8mph
7. Sauber-Ferrari 204.6mph
8. McLaren-Renault 201.5mph
9. Red Bull-Renault 199.1mph
10. Renault 199.1mph

Thought this was interesting. Toro Rosso did the most running of any team, without any problems, and the Honda engine seems to have made a big step forward. Looks real good. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
I'll get us back on-topic by jumping to the following conclusions based on two and a half days of running :lol:

- Mercedes are the team to beat, assuming they've sorted out the issues with the tyres they had last year
- Ferrari are a step behind and probably need to be more concerned about beating Red Bull to 2nd in the WCC than they do fighting Mercedes for 1st.
- Renault have jumped up to become the fourth fastest team - perhaps there is a podium in the offing at long last for Nico Hulkenberg?
- McLaren are the slowest Renault-powered team but are at least back regularly scoring points/making appearances in Q3.
- Force India are in a world of trouble, and have to hope that the fact the car they ran this week is so far removed from what they'll have in Melbourne is solely to blame for that. If not, they've slipped behind not only Renault and McLaren, but also Williams as well.
- None of Haas/Sauber/Toro Rosso appear to be cut adrift at the back of the field. All will score points.

I beg to differ about Force India. Their entire 1st test program was different. The were just trying to analyse the aerodynamics of the car & setting the aero mapping & understanding the effects of Halo. Next week, there will be focus on tyres & performance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:38 am 

Llotyhy wrote:
Top speed-trap times
Pos Team Speed
1. Haas-Ferrari 209.0mph
2. Ferrari 207.7mph
3. Mercedes 207.1mph
10. Renault 199.1mph

Thought this was interesting. Toro Rosso did the most running of any team, without any problems, and the Honda engine seems to have made a big step forward. Looks real good. :)

And the Renault powered cars are all at the bottom of the pile.... Sandbagging or something to start worrying about?

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:03 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

I beg to differ about Force India. Their entire 1st test program was different. The were just trying to analyse the aerodynamics of the car & setting the aero mapping & understanding the effects of Halo. Next week, there will be focus on tyres & performance.

Except that every team was doing the bit in bold, but the vast majority were then able to do more on top of that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:29 pm 

Congrats to Honda. Most reliable-and good top speed. AS I said earlier, Renault misses the top speed, so the Renault teams with bad aero will suffer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:39 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Except that every team was doing the bit in bold, but the vast majority were then able to do more on top of that.

Yeah. It was frustrating to see them chill in the garage while others lower midfield teams such as Sauber & Toro Rosso were stacking up the miles.

However, the 2nd test will be more representative!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:07 pm 

Yes, good for Honda, I want them to do well. Will it be as reliable when they turn it up?

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:45 pm 

Now the important bit where we really find out who is flying and who is in trouble...

Who has protested what against who?

Any 'clarification of the rules' requested? Or is it early days yet so they will have too much time to put things right?

There are a few 'Slots' that look very like holes to me, and several new suspension layouts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:13 pm 

I think McLaren will out-pace the Renault factory team. Having Alonso is worth the couple of tenths that *might* be deficient.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:53 pm 

moby wrote:
Now the important bit where we really find out who is flying and who is in trouble...

Who has protested what against who?

Any 'clarification of the rules' requested? Or is it early days yet so they will have too much time to put things right?

There are a few 'Slots' that look very like holes to me, and several new suspension layouts.

Horner has been pressuring the FIA for further clampdowns on the oil burning saga as the new limits only effect the race oil as opposed to what can be burned during qualy (or so I understand!) - but I havent seen much more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:24 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
Top speed-trap times
Pos Team Speed
1. Haas-Ferrari 209.0mph
2. Ferrari 207.7mph
3. Mercedes 207.1mph
10. Renault 199.1mph

I'd be cautious of drawing any conclusions from the first test, particularly on engine performance. Renault said outright that all three Renault teams will have their engines turned down until week two - we'll see if Honda is still reliable and still ahead after everyone is running at full power.

The number of laps they've managed to complete is a clear positive, however. Almost as many as Macca managed in 12 days last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:28 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
Top speed-trap times
Pos Team Speed
1. Haas-Ferrari 209.0mph
2. Ferrari 207.7mph
3. Mercedes 207.1mph
10. Renault 199.1mph

I'd be cautious of drawing any conclusions from the first test, particularly on engine performance. Renault said outright that all three Renault teams will have their engines turned down until week two - we'll see if Honda is still reliable and still ahead after everyone is running at full power.

The number of laps they've managed to complete is a clear positive, however. Almost as many as Macca managed in 12 days last year.

They did? Source? I'd be glad if this was the case

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 pm 

ohwell wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Renault said outright that all three Renault teams will have their engines turned down until week two

They did? Source? I'd be glad if this was the case

Let me find it - I'm sure I remember reading that...

Here it is: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... s-1008639/

"... But as I say, when we will be on track, we will need to sign off a number of things and this is particularly the plan for T9 [test one] – to make sure that there is no disconnect between track and dyno.

So don’t look at the laptime in T9 because everything will be massively tuned down for obvious reasons, but T10 [test two] we want to run in a more representative mode.”

'Massively tuned down' being Abiteboul's own words, I think we can safely ignore any speed trap data from Renault at test one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 am 

8)

RBR and FI have had bad start to the testing. Reliability will be a major factor this year. They will have to last the engine for 7 races 8O

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:59 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:

8)

RBR and FI have had bad start to the testing. Reliability will be a major factor this year. They will have to last the engine for 7 races 8O

Don't know about Red Bull but am sure Force India aren't in trouble. All of them seemed pretty relaxed & they said they approached the 1st test with a motive to just understand about aero mapping & Halo effects on the car. They were hardly doing long runs. 2nd test they'll come with a rather typical approach of performance testing & tyre evaluations which they didn't undergo in the 1st test. Hence, the lowest number of laps to their credit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:39 pm 

while it's not that surprising, i find it pretty pathetic that the teams are so petty once again. it snowed and these dolts can't simply vote to add some days

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:43 pm 

pc27b wrote:
while it's not that surprising, i find it pretty pathetic that the teams are so petty once again. it snowed and these dolts can't simply vote to add some days

All teams had agreed fr a extra day of testing on Friday but Williams & Ferrari didn't agree so no testing!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:52 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pc27b wrote:

All teams had agreed fr a extra day of testing on Friday but Williams & Ferrari didn't agree so no testing!

that's what i'm saying....all teams couldn't agree lol i don't see any way liberty can control them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:55 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

8)

Don't know about Red Bull but am sure Force India aren't in trouble. All of them seemed pretty relaxed & they said they approached the 1st test with a motive to just understand about aero mapping & Halo effects on the car. They were hardly doing long runs. 2nd test they'll come with a rather typical approach of performance testing & tyre evaluations which they didn't undergo in the 1st test. Hence, the lowest number of laps to their credit.

I know we cannot read too much into it just yet. Other than Mercedes and Ferrari look good as usual. Renault are taking it easy ATM and Honda had best winter testing since their comeback lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 am 

I'm sorry, but every kind of attempt to make guesses at performance, at this point, is null and void. They're too far from top performance to make any guesses. No team has turned it up fully yet. Conditions have been so bad the track didn't really get rubbered in properly. If anything the only thing that was of note was Ricciardo's long run in which he went seconds faster per lap than the race pace of last year, but even there it's hard to draw good conclusions other than these cars will be faster than last year's.

Mind you, I would make the same guesses about Mercedes and Ferrari but that is more to do with what happened last year and the fact that Ferrari will start on last year's power level.