planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:20 pm 

At least, Alonso will be known for driving his wheels off.

Renault has a bad top speed results. The Renault cars with bad aero will suffer.

On the other hand, that Toro Rosso, hm... it's early, but looks good so far.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:27 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Renault has a bad top speed results. The Renault cars with bad aero will suffer.

Way way way too soon to draw conclusions about top speeds. With times still above 1:20 these cars are still several seconds off of what they are capable of.

If anything, lifting off on the straights is a good way to conceal pace.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:31 pm 

The 3 Musketeers (waiting for the French Grand Prix):

Source - http://www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:47 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Apparently the track has been resurfaced and so is less bumpy now, should be worth a second or more according to Autosport.

Bit disappointed Red Bull changed their livery back so soon, I thought the whole point of the special camo one was to be a testing livery, seems like a waste to go to all that trouble just for one filming day.

It got everyone talking, didn't it?

Mission accomplished as far as Red Bull are concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:21 pm 

McLaren just became the first team that improved on its overall best time of winter testing in Barcelona last year.
For what it's worth... :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:33 pm 

mds wrote:
McLaren just became the first team that improved on its overall best time of winter testing in Barcelona last year.
For what it's worth... :)

A timely reminder of just how atrocious their winter testing was last year!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 pm 

I love the titles on this web site. Not "The wheel fell off the McLaren" but "Alonso spins off"
Oh well Im sure its Hondas fault ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:41 pm 

This is from SkySports:

Quote:
The Ferrari is again looking honest and true this year. Raikkonen is able to turn in confidently at Turn 1 and not have some of the problems others are having. Might suggest the car again works its tyres sensibly and consistently once up to temperature.

Big lock up from Sainz at Turn 1, as he runs wide into the runoff and over the speed bumps.Edd Straw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 pm 

So looking at the pictures:

Ferrari, Williams, Toro Rosso, Sauber have added a wing to the top of their Halo

Haas have added aero deflectors top and bottom to their Halo

That didn't take long to find that loophole :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm 

G926 wrote:

Ferrari, Williams, Toro Rosso, Sauber have added a wing to the top of their Halo

What loophole? It was known all along that the teams would be allowed to add aero bits to the Halo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 pm 

I hate Sky Sports. Alonso "crashes" by just spinning off due to a problem not of his doing. Were it Hamilton, they probably wouldn't even report it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:24 pm 

G926 wrote:

Is it a loophole, though? They are allowed to add aero fairings.

I'm more intrigued by the teams (Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault and Force India) who are still running the standard Halo. Is that because they think they have something special up their sleeves that they don't wish to reveal, or could they perhaps be trying to get some data with the standard halo before adding their aero developments to it so they get a better idea if they're actually working as desired?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:06 pm 

Alonso's patience already wearing thin:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/impatient- ... for-honda/

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:08 pm 

Super Aguri Fun Time wrote:
I hate Sky Sports. Alonso "crashes" by just spinning off due to a problem not of his doing. Were it Hamilton, they probably wouldn't even report it.

I don't think the language is that different to how they reported Hamilton's crash in testing a few years ago:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/28415/ ... lton-crash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 pm 

Uffman wrote:
This is from SkySports:

Quote:
The Ferrari is again looking honest and true this year. Raikkonen is able to turn in confidently at Turn 1 and not have some of the problems others are having. Might suggest the car again works its tyres sensibly and consistently once up to temperature.

Big lock up from Sainz at Turn 1, as he runs wide into the runoff and over the speed bumps.Edd Straw

Was that Sky Sports or Autosport? I read it on the latter

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:41 pm 

Alonso's Reliant out of testing disaster, Team blame Poundland parts Honda left in the workshop.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:11 pm 

I think you are overreacting a tad there buddy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:37 pm 

What's promising is that no one seems to have had a power unit failure or having to stop because of power unit problems etc...
Looks like the manufacturers finally have got a handle on these complex PU.
Both Renault and Honda seem to have made huge strides.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:42 pm 

kleefton wrote:
What's promising is that no one seems to have had a power unit failure or having to stop because of power unit problems etc...

I'd temper that optimism with the notion that none of them are running anywhere near full chat at the moment, and given the new reliability requirements, I doubt they really will till the end of testing.

We shall see I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:43 pm 

kleefton wrote:

That doesn't seem very safe does it? I guess this is Bernie's shortcut idea on display.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:08 pm 

bonecrasher wrote:

Well, my reasoning for disliking Sky goes well beyond any misleading headlines today. But it's still an annoyance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:10 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

That doesn't seem very safe does it? I guess this is Bernie's shortcut idea on display.

Just getting his retaliation in first before someone says 'you will not get passed the STR this year'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:21 pm 

Just a question: are this year's tyres one step softer than last year's, which were too conservative? Was sure I heard Pirelli was going to go one step softer per compound - any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:24 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

God, why can't we use the proper track anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:30 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

I'd temper that optimism with the notion that none of them are running anywhere near full chat at the moment, and given the new reliability requirements, I doubt they really will till the end of testing.

We shall see I guess.

But already so much faster doing long stints than last year's cars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:07 pm 

mds wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

We shall see I guess.

But already so much faster doing long stints than last year's cars.

Softer tyres, brand new asphalt and 0 thermal deg on the tyres are all helping in that regard, as is a general maturing of the regs/engines. I fully expect the cars to be at least 2 seconds quicker than last year come the end of testing, so I honestly doubt anyone has really been stretching their legs thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:38 pm 

Ugh, I'm almost regretting paying for a month nowtv pass. Ted Kravits notebook about the testing is painful. Giving examples of the halo made out of a chicken bone from what he ate the other day. Does he do this to amuse us? It really isn't funny. Then I also don't quite get why so many use a double decker bus as an example of what the halo can withstand. It isn't to do with the weight. It won't ever need to cope with something that heavy sat on it which was almost what he was implying it was for. It is surely made to take the impact of something. Fair enough giving an example of the amount of weight it can withstand, but going into so much detail of a scale model bus on top of an F1 car really is stupid. When will that ever happen?

I just hope Sky will improve this year especially as they are taking over all free live coverage in the UK next year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:02 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Ugh, I'm almost regretting paying for a month nowtv pass. Ted Kravits notebook about the testing is painful. Giving examples of the halo made out of a chicken bone from what he ate the other day. Does he do this to amuse us? It really isn't funny. Then I also don't quite get why so many use a double decker bus as an example of what the halo can withstand. It isn't to do with the weight. It won't ever need to cope with something that heavy sat on it which was almost what he was implying it was for. It is surely made to take the impact of something. Fair enough giving an example of the amount of weight it can withstand, but going into so much detail of a scale model bus on top of an F1 car really is stupid. When will that ever happen?

I just hope Sky will improve this year especially as they are taking over all free live coverage in the UK next year.

TBF the Halo is designed to with stand mass as a force. Remember when objects speed up they have a greater mass. It's possible for a wheel to be as "heavy" as a double decker bus if it has enough velocity behind it. Using the double decker bus is just a more graphic example.

Edit - When I say "mass" I obviously don't mean "true mass", which is constant.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 am 

It's ridiculous to read articles with the title 'Alonso cashes his McLaren 45 minutes into testing'. Don't they know a wheel came off? Did Alonso press some button on the steering wheel for the wheel to detach?

Infact Mazepin was more blameworthy for his spin in the gravel than ALonso.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:43 am 

Link to follow today's testing:
https://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/236360/follow-live-the-second-day-of-the-first-test-in-2018

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:37 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Spoiler alert: it's cold, and nobody is running...

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:35 am 

I've been keeping an eye on the Autosport feed, and yes, I know it's cold, but Verstappen has only done 1 lap? No updates on what Red Bull are up to either. Does anyone know if they are having an issue, or is it just simply too cold to do any meaningful running? Or are they just doing installation lap after installation lap, therefore not fully completing laps?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42 am 

LithoBlitho wrote:
I've been keeping an eye on the Autosport feed, and yes, I know it's cold, but Verstappen has only done 1 lap? No updates on what Red Bull are up to either. Does anyone know if they are having an issue, or is it just simply too cold to do any meaningful running? Or are they just doing installation lap after installation lap, therefore not fully completing laps?

Red Bull reportedly had a fuel problem with the car this morning. However, the issue is solved and the team is waiting for temperatures to rise before heading out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:46 am 

Clarky wrote:
LithoBlitho wrote:

Red Bull reportedly had a fuel problem with the car this morning. However, the issue is solved and the team is waiting for temperatures to rise before heading out.

Thank you. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 pm 

This bit wasn't on the Halo yesterday:

Source - https://img.f1today.eu/x/full/photos/5a ... a92c36.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:36 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

I was curious yesterday as to who some teams were running the standard Halo, and speculated it could be because they wanted to gather data with that before adding their aero fairings on so they could be sure they were working as intended. With Force India, given that that part hasn't been painted pink to match the Halo and has instead been attached to it, I would assume it is simply because they didn't have the part ready.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:15 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Now we're talking :thumbup:

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I was curious yesterday as to who some teams were running the standard Halo, and speculated it could be because they wanted to gather data with that before adding their aero fairings on so they could be sure they were working as intended. With Force India, given that that part hasn't been painted pink to match the Halo and has instead been attached to it, I would assume it is simply because they didn't have the part ready.

So let's get this straight. We now have a piece of Carbon Fibre with sharp edges akin to a boomerang sat at almost head height.

How long before they are banned on safety grounds?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:23 pm 

So remind me why testing takes place in Barcelona at the end of winter again?