planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:30 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:27 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: Finland
Zoue wrote:
So remind me why testing takes place in Barcelona at the end of winter again?


Doesn't it have something to do with the logistics chain being simpler to handle as most teams have their factory or HQ is Europe so they can transport new parts and bits more quickly in case something isn't ready until on the last minute or if something breaks during testing?

_________________
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:16 pm
Posts: 63
Any idea why McLaren lap count is so low for today?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 653
Oh look, as I write this, Kubica is faster than Sirotkin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Mumbai, India
Image
Source - http://www.Twitter.com

:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Mumbai, India
Since it's snowing, surely no more testing today & maybe tomorrow as well as snowfall is forecast for tomorrow!

Image
Source - www.imgur.com

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:16 pm
Posts: 63
There are still cars on track.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 1176
Anyone have any idea about the length of the runs when Sirotkin and Kubica set their best times?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 764
Location: India
Ferrari, Mercedes are looking great as expected. Mclaren again very less mileage

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM9-GK3MeLI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 1176
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9865
Location: Travelling around the world
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 1176
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I had slight doubts in 2013 and 2014, but passed that off as a phase. 2015 to 2017, I thought it was all Honda. Now that Honda is gone and so suddenly racking up the laps, while McLaren is still doing 30 laps, yes, it's eye-opening.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9865
Location: Travelling around the world
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I had slight doubts in 2013 and 2014, but passed that off as a phase. 2015 to 2017, I thought it was all Honda. Now that Honda is gone and so suddenly racking up the laps, while McLaren is still doing 30 laps, yes, it's eye-opening.

I think McLaren have been incompetent since the 20th century ended. It's like they're the only corporate entity that were actually hit by the millennium bug and they've never been able to shake it off

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9865
Location: Travelling around the world
clarkeeuk99 wrote:
Any idea why McLaren lap count is so low for today?

From Reddit:
A faulty exhaust clip caused McLaren to have overheating damage this afternoon. Repair work ongoing.

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 1176
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I had slight doubts in 2013 and 2014, but passed that off as a phase. 2015 to 2017, I thought it was all Honda. Now that Honda is gone and so suddenly racking up the laps, while McLaren is still doing 30 laps, yes, it's eye-opening.

I think McLaren have been incompetent since the 20th century ended. It's like they're the only corporate entity that were actually hit by the millennium bug and they've never been able to shake it off


Erm, they were able to fight the exceptional Schumacher-Ferrari combo in 2000 and 2003, despite having inferior drivers to Schumacher. They were the fastest car in 2005, but again with the inferior drivers. In 2007 and 2008, they were behind Ferrari, but their better drivers got them a championship. Close to winning the WDC in 2010, maybe the joint-fastest car in 2012. I've never liked McLaren, but if this is your definition of incompetency in the 21st century for McLaren, then :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:09 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: Finland
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

Or maybe Honda have finally got their act together, who knows. If it so happens that Honda PU outperforms Renault come Melbourne, I don't know if one should laugh or cry. :lol:

RBR Honda for 2019 WCC, you heard it here first!

_________________
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 am
Posts: 587
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I said last season that (and others said it too) the debacle was not all on Hondas shoulders, and that even with all they hype talk from its driver, the chassis was not that good, I am desperate to see how they do this year, so far not impressed, they had a wheel not fail and now an issue with the exhaust. And the driver keeps yapping as I think he took all the comments kind of personal.

Hopefully they come good this season, they must beat Toro Rosso by a great marging and lets see what StVan does.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9865
Location: Travelling around the world
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I had slight doubts in 2013 and 2014, but passed that off as a phase. 2015 to 2017, I thought it was all Honda. Now that Honda is gone and so suddenly racking up the laps, while McLaren is still doing 30 laps, yes, it's eye-opening.

I think McLaren have been incompetent since the 20th century ended. It's like they're the only corporate entity that were actually hit by the millennium bug and they've never been able to shake it off


Erm, they were able to fight the exceptional Schumacher-Ferrari combo in 2000 and 2003, despite having inferior drivers to Schumacher. They were the fastest car in 2005, but again with the inferior drivers. In 2007 and 2008, they were behind Ferrari, but their better drivers got them a championship. Close to winning the WDC in 2010, maybe the joint-fastest car in 2012. I've never liked McLaren, but if this is your definition of incompetency in the 21st century for McLaren, then :lol:

Oh they could build a fast car. But they have a remarkable modern history of absolutely screwing themselves over and over. It's mismanagement, buffoonery or both

2000 they lost with the fastest car
2003 was the year they didn't produce a new car at all
2005 was 2000 on steroids. Crazy fast, couldn't hold together
2007 will go down in history as one of the greatest F1 disasters on and off the track
2008 and yes, they won a title. In bumbling fashion. It made for exciting TV but competency was not their forté. It's true that Ferrari were even worse
2010 wasn't a total lack of competency from memory. But I cannot get the vision of a bung left behind in Button's exhaust out of my mind
2012 was utter mismanagement and incompetency. It didn't matter how fast the car could go, their drivers were never in the running

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9865
Location: Travelling around the world
PRFAN wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I said last season that (and others said it too) the debacle was not all on Hondas shoulders, and that even with all they hype talk from its driver, the chassis was not that good, I am desperate to see how they do this year, so far not impressed, they had a wheel not fail and now an issue with the exhaust. And the driver keeps yapping as I think he took all the comments kind of personal.

Hopefully they come good this season, they must beat Toro Rosso by a great marging and lets see what StVan does.

I think the chassis looks good. But silly errors are already costing them

After 2 days of testing:
Toro Rosso-Honda 175 laps (3rd best)
McLaren-Renault 88 laps (last)

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 764
Location: India
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I had slight doubts in 2013 and 2014, but passed that off as a phase. 2015 to 2017, I thought it was all Honda. Now that Honda is gone and so suddenly racking up the laps, while McLaren is still doing 30 laps, yes, it's eye-opening.

I think McLaren have been incompetent since the 20th century ended. It's like they're the only corporate entity that were actually hit by the millennium bug and they've never been able to shake it off


Erm, they were able to fight the exceptional Schumacher-Ferrari combo in 2000 and 2003, despite having inferior drivers to Schumacher. They were the fastest car in 2005, but again with the inferior drivers. In 2007 and 2008, they were behind Ferrari, but their better drivers got them a championship. Close to winning the WDC in 2010, maybe the joint-fastest car in 2012. I've never liked McLaren, but if this is your definition of incompetency in the 21st century for McLaren, then :lol:


lol in 2003 Kimi lost the title by 2pts with the 3rd best car. MM had a good start but both Ferrari and Williams BMW had faster car. I have already done research on it Kimi was by far the best driver and I think since then Ferrari had decided to take him. In 2005 they were just unlucky not to win both the titles. 2007 they were good again but Alonso lost his mind due to Hamilton and Hamilton self destructed in last 2 races lol. Kimi won most number of races and DHL fastest driver of the year as well. So it was well deserved especially of all the bad luck he had in MM :)

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM9-GK3MeLI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 1804
mcdo wrote:
2010 wasn't a total lack of competency from memory. But I cannot get the vision of a bung left behind in Button's exhaust out of my mind

And the person responsible now holds a top position in McLaren.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:51 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 13749
mcdo wrote:
Oh they could build a fast car. But they have a remarkable modern history of absolutely screwing themselves over and over. It's mismanagement, buffoonery or both

2000 they lost with the fastest car
2003 was the year they didn't produce a new car at all
2005 was 2000 on steroids. Crazy fast, couldn't hold together
2007 will go down in history as one of the greatest F1 disasters on and off the track
2008 and yes, they won a title. In bumbling fashion. It made for exciting TV but competency was not their forté. It's true that Ferrari were even worse
2010 wasn't a total lack of competency from memory. But I cannot get the vision of a bung left behind in Button's exhaust out of my mind
2012 was utter mismanagement and incompetency. It didn't matter how fast the car could go, their drivers were never in the running


TBF to Mclaren since 2001 they have competed for more championships than anyone but Ferrari. But I get what you mean.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:34 pm
Posts: 35
Location: USA
McLaren really just need a few uneventful test days where nothing breaks, nothing misfires and they just quietly log laps. The frustrating part is it's to the point that when I see "McLaren" in a headline, I know something embarrassing is coming.

_________________
"IF is a very long word in Formula One; in fact, IF is F1 spelled backwards." - Murray Walker


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23199
froze wrote:
Zoue wrote:
So remind me why testing takes place in Barcelona at the end of winter again?


Doesn't it have something to do with the logistics chain being simpler to handle as most teams have their factory or HQ is Europe so they can transport new parts and bits more quickly in case something isn't ready until on the last minute or if something breaks during testing?

Yeah, but if the temperatures are far lower than anything they will ever experience during the season, just how much meaningful info can they get from the testing really?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:06 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 13749
Zoue wrote:
froze wrote:
Zoue wrote:
So remind me why testing takes place in Barcelona at the end of winter again?


Doesn't it have something to do with the logistics chain being simpler to handle as most teams have their factory or HQ is Europe so they can transport new parts and bits more quickly in case something isn't ready until on the last minute or if something breaks during testing?

Yeah, but if the temperatures are far lower than anything they will ever experience during the season, just how much meaningful info can they get from the testing really?


I remember they had a sandstorm once in Bahrain and couldn't test. Barcelona is usually a pretty good option. It's also a way better track to drive. Think of the poor drivers having to pound round Sakir for 100 laps.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4720
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I had slight doubts in 2013 and 2014, but passed that off as a phase. 2015 to 2017, I thought it was all Honda. Now that Honda is gone and so suddenly racking up the laps, while McLaren is still doing 30 laps, yes, it's eye-opening.


Nothing suddenly about Honda racking up laps though. Look at the Pirelli test at the end of last season with over 300 laps in two days with McLaren. Toro Rosso have just a bit less than half that in two days here and everyone's going nuts about it.

Two silly issues for McLaren with the wheel nut and exhaust clip which isn't good of course but nothing major reported,correlation has apparently been confirmed with targets hit and the cars getting praise from track side observers and even from Gary Anderson of all people.

Which is probably the single most worrying thing about the two days thus far. :o

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 8020
There was a photograph of the Mclaren with scorch marks on the 'hump' and notifying that an exhaust clamp had broken.
How ever it seems to have taken all afternoon to fix. Not a quick line of weld then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26873
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I had slight doubts in 2013 and 2014, but passed that off as a phase. 2015 to 2017, I thought it was all Honda. Now that Honda is gone and so suddenly racking up the laps, while McLaren is still doing 30 laps, yes, it's eye-opening.

Yes a bit of an eye opener seeing STR Honda doing double the laps of McLaren Renault, this year there is nowhere to hide for Mclaren.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26873
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I'm having doubts, for the first time, at the competency of McLaren.

Honda suddenly doing 70, 80+ laps a day, and McLaren not even touching 40 today, when there was no freak wheel nut failure...

First time ever?!


I had slight doubts in 2013 and 2014, but passed that off as a phase. 2015 to 2017, I thought it was all Honda. Now that Honda is gone and so suddenly racking up the laps, while McLaren is still doing 30 laps, yes, it's eye-opening.

I think McLaren have been incompetent since the 20th century ended. It's like they're the only corporate entity that were actually hit by the millennium bug and they've never been able to shake it off


Erm, they were able to fight the exceptional Schumacher-Ferrari combo in 2000 and 2003, despite having inferior drivers to Schumacher. They were the fastest car in 2005, but again with the inferior drivers. In 2007 and 2008, they were behind Ferrari, but their better drivers got them a championship. Close to winning the WDC in 2010, maybe the joint-fastest car in 2012. I've never liked McLaren, but if this is your definition of incompetency in the 21st century for McLaren, then :lol:

How many titles did they win?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:52 am
Posts: 1
Hello,
Long, long time lurker (since summer of 2012). Anyone here have a link of sector times for this winter testing ? Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Mumbai, India
Brrrr...it's cold...no testing today:

Image
Source - www.imgur.com

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 7767
UnlikeUday wrote:
Brrrr...it's cold...no testing today:

Image
Source - http://www.imgur.com

Snow is nice. Still it's -13 here, so they cant complain :P

_________________
eeee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
Lotus49 wrote:
Nothing suddenly about Honda racking up laps though. Look at the Pirelli test at the end of last season with over 300 laps in two days with McLaren. Toro Rosso have just a bit less than half that in two days here and everyone's going nuts about it.


Thing is, that was with a PU that had been developed for a full year. It would've been REALLY bad they couldn't do a few testing days with relative reliability.
They are now using a new PU in testing. New development. Last time they were in a comparable situation was one year ago and it was a trainwreck.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 653
dizlexik wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Brrrr...it's cold...no testing today:

Image
Source - http://www.imgur.com

Snow is nice. Still it's -13 here, so they cant complain :P


They should just do what Force India pretended to do yesterday, stick some snow chains on and get on with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Posts: 2748
Location: Perth, Australia
mds wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Nothing suddenly about Honda racking up laps though. Look at the Pirelli test at the end of last season with over 300 laps in two days with McLaren. Toro Rosso have just a bit less than half that in two days here and everyone's going nuts about it.


Thing is, that was with a PU that had been developed for a full year. It would've been REALLY bad they couldn't do a few testing days with relative reliability.
They are now using a new PU in testing. New development. Last time they were in a comparable situation was one year ago and it was a trainwreck.


I was wondering about that. Was it confirmed that they're using a new PU model at this test?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9239
dizlexik wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Brrrr...it's cold...no testing today:

Image
Source - http://www.imgur.com

Snow is nice. Still it's -13 here, so they cant complain :P

It was -22 this morning here :-|

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:03 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: Finland
Covalent wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Brrrr...it's cold...no testing today:

Image
Source - http://www.imgur.com

Snow is nice. Still it's -13 here, so they cant complain :P

It was -22 this morning here :-|

-26 here. x(

_________________
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm
Posts: 484
No excuses for Red Bull to stay in the garage...
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/how-red-b ... ar-on-snow


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 7767
froze wrote:
Covalent wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Brrrr...it's cold...no testing today:

Image
Source - http://www.imgur.com

Snow is nice. Still it's -13 here, so they cant complain :P

It was -22 this morning here :-|

-26 here. x(

I don't mind freezing temperatures :>

_________________
eeee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
Toby. wrote:
mds wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Nothing suddenly about Honda racking up laps though. Look at the Pirelli test at the end of last season with over 300 laps in two days with McLaren. Toro Rosso have just a bit less than half that in two days here and everyone's going nuts about it.


Thing is, that was with a PU that had been developed for a full year. It would've been REALLY bad they couldn't do a few testing days with relative reliability.
They are now using a new PU in testing. New development. Last time they were in a comparable situation was one year ago and it was a trainwreck.


I was wondering about that. Was it confirmed that they're using a new PU model at this test?


Aren't they all using brand new 2018 units?

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7217
mds wrote:
Toby. wrote:
mds wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Nothing suddenly about Honda racking up laps though. Look at the Pirelli test at the end of last season with over 300 laps in two days with McLaren. Toro Rosso have just a bit less than half that in two days here and everyone's going nuts about it.


Thing is, that was with a PU that had been developed for a full year. It would've been REALLY bad they couldn't do a few testing days with relative reliability.
They are now using a new PU in testing. New development. Last time they were in a comparable situation was one year ago and it was a trainwreck.


I was wondering about that. Was it confirmed that they're using a new PU model at this test?


Aren't they all using brand new 2018 units?

From Ted's notebook on Sky:

Skip to 22:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndgoas8zimA

"It not a new engine. It is effectively a development of last years engine."

"They are thinking that they dont need, or are not in a position to debut a brand new engine yet, might come later in the season"



Ted has alluded to the other manufacturers following a similar route though with the focus being on retaining last years power levels with increased reliability as opposed to increasing the power, so how much of the above is unique to Honda I don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Altair, Clarky, froze, Junglist, mikeyg123, Zoue and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group