planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 am 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mart ... l-1009390/

This does not sound good for Williams on the financial side of things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 am 

What a shame... The Martini racing colours will be missed. A proper classic racing livery.

They still have a strong following of sponsors mind but indeed it will be a blow to their finances.

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:10 am 

Whilst it is a shame to lose an iconic brand and livery, Williams have brought this upon themselves. Two boring paid drivers isn't a very attractive proposition to potental sponsors.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 am 

cm97 wrote:
Whilst it is a shame to lose an iconic brand and livery, Williams have brought this upon themselves. Two boring paid drivers isn't a very attractive proposition to potental sponsors.

Considering both Martini and Williams seem to have wanted to continue I don't think this has anything to do with it. Martini (who also spoke to other teams) were overruled by their parent company, who are no longer doing any F1 sponsorship.

I'm sure I'd seen the Bacardi brand elsewhere, is it actually still used? I'm assuming that will go too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:35 pm 

I really got used to this livery. One of the best ever. Shame it will be gone, but Williams might have bigger worry with main sponsor gone. :<

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:42 pm 

Poor pay drivers --> poor results --> poor marketing value --> poorer (and richer) pay drivers... well you see where I'm going with this. Don't think Williams will be around much longer the way this is going.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:17 pm 

I also get the feeling they have had lots of negative feedback through things like ' Williams can not have a driver under 25' etc and young drivers seem to have a huge following before they come to F1, or be refused a seat in F1 due to Martini.

There also seems to be a move to run more races in countries where alcohol advertising is banned or does not go down well. Shame, cos I love the livery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:21 pm 

The parent Bacardi group are seemingly done with F1. I'd like to know why that is before claiming it has anything to do with Williams' choice of drivers

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:48 pm 

cm97 wrote:

Aren’t the drivers also too young for what Martini prefers?

It also doesn’t help the car doesn’t appear to be any good this year again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:12 pm 

mcdo wrote:
The parent Bacardi group are seemingly done with F1. I'd like to know why that is before claiming it has anything to do with Williams' choice of drivers

You are right about jumping to conclusions of course, but the reason companies leave is because they feel they are not getting their moneys worth. Also if they think they have left a lasting positive impression.

I doubt they feel they have achieved either, though maybe not due to their influence on the drivers. Had say Max been a driver for the team with their name on, it probably would not be leaving.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 pm 

Had Kubica got the drive this would have probably made Martini stay on.

The idea of coming back from near death while sipping a Martini, would have made something out of it.

It's also more in line with today's "motivational" trend we see just about anywhere. From a promotional perspective, quite a dream.

I don't know about the Russian market, but now that I think better about it, I don't think Sirotkin is big enough in Russia. Maybe in a year or two.

So yes, even without Bacardi pulling the plug, Williams just isn't offering much in return.

If I were Williams though, I'd just go to the IQOS competitor as we speak. That is where the major sponsorship money will come from in the next years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:25 am 

paul_gmb wrote:
Had Kubica got the drive this would have probably made Martini stay on.

Id say its other way arround.
If Martini decided to continue with WMR, Robert would have higher chance to get the drive.
Im pretty sure WMR knew theyll lose out Martini sponsorship and that made SMP backing even more important.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:31 am 

moby wrote:
mcdo wrote:

You are right about jumping to conclusions of course, but the reason companies leave is because they feel they are not getting their moneys worth. Also if they think they have left a lasting positive impression.

I doubt they feel they have achieved either, though maybe not due to their influence on the drivers. Had say Max been a driver for the team with their name on, it probably would not be leaving.

That's not necessarily so. Sometimes Companies partake in these types of business deals with specific goals and hard figures to reach, upon which time their business plan calls for termination of the project, and usually the funds that were previously allocated for advertising is then utilized in a different way.

There is no way Martini didn't get their money's worth with all the exposure F1 has received in the time they've been prominently adorning the Williams cars. The numbers Lewis Hamilton brings to F1 alone is far more than billboards or ads positioned around the globe, and every set of eyes is an opportunity to be seen/discovered. Every time F1 makes the headlines for reasons good or bad, more exposure for all involved.

Given the information provided, it feels like a planned move for Martini at this moment, but if they were to sign on with a different team, then it would hint towards perhaps not feeling they were getting their money's worth with Williams in particular and looked to better maximize their advertising dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:13 pm 

Wild theory time: Williams loses Martini sponsorship as Martini go back to Brabham, who have bought and renamed Force India for 2018. You think the livery was retro on the Williams? Just wait :P

But yeah, most likely they've hit targets and that's the end of the project. The only reason to continue now would be to give a few of Martini's major shareholders some free VIP race tickets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:17 pm 

http://www.planetf1.com/news/williams-w ... -sponsors/

Looks like Williams potentially may be concerned mclaren are wanting to pinch Williams sponsors.....maybe it's not just Martini who are looking at leaving Williams/jumping ship.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
moby wrote:
mcdo wrote:

That's not necessarily so. Sometimes Companies partake in these types of business deals with specific goals and hard figures to reach, upon which time their business plan calls for termination of the project, and usually the funds that were previously allocated for advertising is then utilized in a different way.

There is no way Martini didn't get their money's worth with all the exposure F1 has received in the time they've been prominently adorning the Williams cars. The numbers Lewis Hamilton brings to F1 alone is far more than billboards or ads positioned around the globe, and every set of eyes is an opportunity to be seen/discovered. Every time F1 makes the headlines for reasons good or bad, more exposure for all involved.

Given the information provided, it feels like a planned move for Martini at this moment, but if they were to sign on with a different team, then it would hint towards perhaps not feeling they were getting their money's worth with Williams in particular and looked to better maximize their advertising dollars.

Thats what I mean by "Also if they think they have left a lasting positive impression.". There comes a point where a sponsor is so much associated with an item or team that even when they are not there they get the benefit.
Sort of, job well done, nothing to be gained by spending more. I think they defiantly got their moneys worth, but is it worth doing anymore as there is probably only small gain for large cost left.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:36 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
moby wrote:
mcdo wrote:

So much yes!

Martini's contract with Williams finished as all contracts do. Martini didn't renew. End of story until they announce Martini McLaren in 2020.