planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:57 pm 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13456 ... ty-tactics

If this is true, then this is a real shame. 3 great teams running Renault engines with great drivers who looks like they may end up just being hindered by a stupid "road relevance" rule...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:40 pm 

Just imagine how Honda will manage this situation with only 1 team :uhoh: Mclaren so far have done the least amount of laps but at least RBR, Renault are doing some mileage. 3 engine is too low and with limited testing it is almost certain many guys will take penalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:47 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Just imagine how Honda will manage this situation with only 1 team :uhoh: Mclaren so far have done the least amount of laps but at least RBR, Renault are doing some mileage. 3 engine is too low and with limited testing it is almost certain many guys will take penalty

Agreed. Although I would be very surprised if Merc have to. They have been bang on it with reliability since the start of the hybrid era.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:24 pm 

Disappointing it could potentially come to this, and this is before the inevitable engine failures that result in further penalties.

Saying that, it must be a pretty significant loss of performance for a manufacturer to actually consider taking intentional grid penalties. Perhaps enough that over the course of a season, the points they might lose in the races where they take the intentional penalties are actually balanced out by gains over the rest of the season?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:31 pm 

It's been on the cards since it was announced, and was obviously going to happen. If you're going to score no points because you've had to turn the engine down so much to keep it going, you may as well get a fresh one in there and take the rap at a race where qualifying is less important/you can actually overtake.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 pm 

This is why I loathe the limited engine rules. It goes against the very DNA of F1. I've little doubt that Renault aren't the only manufacturer to be factoring in strategic PU usage and it makes a mockery of any kind of racing ethos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:52 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
It's been on the cards since it was announced, and was obviously going to happen. If you're going to score no points because you've had to turn the engine down so much to keep it going, you may as well get a fresh one in there and take the rap at a race where qualifying is less important/you can actually overtake.

I'd go for it as long as you can hit your development target before Monza (Round 14) as looking at the calendar I wouldn't fancy taking the penalty at Sing,Rus or Jpn which is rounds 15-17. I was thinking USA before I checked but that's round 18 out of 21 which is too late imo.

So you'd have to be confident in getting your 3rd spec of the year ready by then and take new units at Spain (Round 5).Silverstone (Round 10) and then the penalty at Monza (Round 14).

Monza is maybe too early ideally but if you can get your 'Spec 2' ready by Spain or Silverstone and your 'Spec 3' by Monza then for the last 7 races you'd have a very healthy pool of units and you can use the higher 5 race lifespan power modes basically all year instead of restricting yourself to the less powerful 7 race lifespan modes.

(Or if Russia is better for overtaking than what I'm remembering then do it there)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:26 pm 

TBH they would be failing in their duty if they did not take it into consideration. Aim for the target, but have a spare plan too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:15 am 

Perhaps all the manufacturers could agree to taking an engine penalty in the same race. That would sick two fingers up to the three-engines rule.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:20 am 

tootsie323 wrote:
Perhaps all the manufacturers could agree

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 am 

tootsie323 wrote:
Perhaps all the manufacturers could agree to taking an engine penalty in the same race. That would sick two fingers up to the three-engines rule.

That thought actually crossed my mind, swiftly followed by this one:

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:12 am 

I vaguely remember reading last season (early on, when it was obvious that the 2017 Renault engine was not up to scratch), that they would not be releasing any major modifications to their engine until the following season.

This gave me hope that they would learn the lessons from 2017, and introduce a major overhaul for 2018. But Ed Straw's article concludes that "...the engine package in use at the start of this season is similar to the one in the car at the end of last season...".

Hmmm...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:51 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:

Ha! Should have realised that my idea was doomed in the first few words.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:13 pm 

Remember the last few races of 2017? All Renault powered cars suffered horrible reliability. Much more than anything else, the complete loss of reliability is Renault's prime target, they must not suffer like they did at end of 2017. And now we come to the point in the graph where two lines cross. Reliability versus one more engine.

What a load of crap. These engine rules were supposed to make life easier for all teams and also make engines cheaper. Instead, we now have the exact opposite. Engines are fragile, complex, expensive, and established and competent engine manufacturers like Renault must scramble to find a compromise strategy? If Formula One had their act together, we should not even be discussing the engine problems.

Next weekend the Indycar season starts up. The fans are not talking about engine problems, they are all gleefully anticipating another exciting season of action. What a contrast.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:59 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Remember the last few races of 2017? All Renault powered cars suffered horrible reliability. Much more than anything else, the complete loss of reliability is Renault's prime target, they must not suffer like they did at end of 2017. And now we come to the point in the graph where two lines cross. Reliability versus one more engine.

What a load of crap. These engine rules were supposed to make life easier for all teams and also make engines cheaper. Instead, we now have the exact opposite. Engines are fragile, complex, expensive, and established and competent engine manufacturers like Renault must scramble to find a compromise strategy? If Formula One had their act together, we should not even be discussing the engine problems .

Next weekend the Indycar season starts up. The fans are not talking about engine problems, they are all gleefully anticipating another exciting season of action. What a contrast.

Agreee. Other than Mercedes of course everyone else seems to be struggling. Maybe I should just start watching indycar instead. Not looking forward to one more year the same old same old Merc 1-2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:31 am 

ohwell wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

What a load of crap. These engine rules were supposed to make life easier for all teams and also make engines cheaper. Instead, we now have the exact opposite. Engines are fragile, complex, expensive, and established and competent engine manufacturers like Renault must scramble to find a compromise strategy? If Formula One had their act together, we should not even be discussing the engine problems .

Agreee. Other than Mercedes of course everyone else seems to be struggling. Maybe I should just start watching indycar instead. Not looking forward to one more year the same old same old Merc 1-2

Even for Merc reliability is a major concern. Most of the noise coming out of the team is that they are focusing on reliability.

Quote:
Reigning World Champion Lewis Hamilton says repeating his reliability record in Formula 1 this year will be tricky, but believes the achievement is within Mercedes' reach.

https://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/362035/hamilton-sure-mercedes-can-repeat-reliability/

Do not forget, we are going from four in 2017 to just three engines in 2018.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:24 am 

The only use of this rule I can see is for customers teams who will have to pay for 6 engines instead of 8 this year. But what if the engine dies ? They will get it for free or have to pay for using extra engines, anyways ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:45 am 

To play Devil's advocate; maybe this rule can be seen as a sort of way to spice things up. You'll have top drivers and cars starting from the back once or twice each this year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:55 am 

Do the customer teams get any compensation from their engine supplier should they suffer an engine failure that may be the suppliers fault?

I've find it amusing that Williams buy a Merc engine for a certain dollar amount in the expectation it should last a certain amount of km or hrs. If said engine fails inside that expectation, it is Williams that cops the grid penalty, potential points loss & therefore prize money loss plus the repair or replacement cost of the engine.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
To play Devil's advocate; maybe this rule can be seen as a sort of way to spice things up. You'll have top drivers and cars starting from the back once or twice each this year.

Or, you'll have top Red Bull, McLaren (and possibly even Ferrari) drivers starting from the back once or twice this year (like last year), whilst Merc continue their incredible record of reliability.

:thumbdown:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 am 

clarkeeuk99 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Or, you'll have top Red Bull, McLaren (and possibly even Ferrari) drivers starting from the back once or twice this year (like last year), whilst Merc continue their incredible record of reliability.

:thumbdown:

Hamilton used 5 engines last year, the same as Vettel and one more than all other Ferrari and Mercedes drivers. So it's not just the Mercedes that had good reliability.

I think all teams will be struggling this year, and I expect all teams are now considering where they would take tactical engine penalties in the 2nd half of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:42 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

Playing devil's advocate, your point is valid and appropriate. Yes, it is another method to "spice up" the show. But I belong to a number of fans who just want to see on-track battling. The cars and drivers should not be saddled with so many handicaps, and my personal goal is to see all the cars on the grid, representing their true potential, with the drivers allowed to go flat out for the entire race.

p.s. Indycar engine suppliers lease their engines to teams for a total cost of approximately a million dollars a year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:48 pm 

3 engines is a hideous number.

Wish they wouldn't keep a limit. That way teams wouldn't be precautious. They would try to use lesser number of engines anyway as more the engines, higher the cost. But this engine rule I feel makes sense to exist keeping the manufacturer teams in mind. Even if there was no limit, Manufacturer teams have enough money to keep using fresh engines but the customer teams would suffer as they're limited with finances. So this engine rule kind of makes it a level playing field & narrows the financial advantage tat the manufacturer teams have over customer teams.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:54 pm 

Another thing to keep in mind, but only the engine makers will know this, New developments.
It is always 'too soon' to state the engine is ready. There are always a handful of things in the pipeline and not quite there, but at a deadline the engine goes as it is.

A team could find a real humdinger in the first couple of days, then another, then see fruition of some more trials and decide the gain is worth the penalty. A penalty is for one race, any gain is for every race from then on.

This would of course be a continual rolling effect so would need constant consideration. This is in addition to everyone else's engine losing 10HP (or what ever) per race on the opposite side of the scales.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:49 pm 

3 engines is low. Must now be approaching the point where it is a close call to just design the engine to do 25% of the season and take a penalty at one race though as it could give a reasonable performance advantage.

Realistically what can they do when the current rules expire? Changing the engines will see huge development costs, another engine war and risk of greater disparity for another long period. Perhaps they should just keep the current rules, with an option to set a max power output each year until the rest get their act together and catch up with Mercedes?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:29 pm 

Herb wrote:
Hamilton used 5 engines last year, the same as Vettel and one more than all other Ferrari and Mercedes drivers. So it's not just the Mercedes that had good reliability.

Remember Spa 2016? Hamilton used 3 new engines in practice - enough to get him through to the end of the year. So never mind teams taking strategic penalties for 1 extra engine... The problem is that the penalty system means drivers drop any penalties over 20 after the race. So: 3 new engines at Spa - 60 penalties - Hamilton starts at the back, finishes 3rd, and starts the next race with engines coming out of his ears and a clean sheet!

The 3 engine rule may help poorer teams to save money but those like Mercedes can just circumvent it. If the penalty was 40 grid places per engine, and/or any penalties not used had to be carried forward to the next race, it might work. I think that miraculously there would be far fewer engine problems!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:01 pm 

tim3003 wrote:
Herb wrote:

Remember Spa 2016? Hamilton used 3 new engines in practice - enough to get him through to the end of the year. So never mind teams taking strategic penalties for 1 extra engine... The problem is that the penalty system means drivers drop any penalties over 20 after the race. So: 3 new engines at Spa - 60 penalties - Hamilton starts at the back, finishes 3rd, and starts the next race with engines coming out of his ears and a clean sheet!

The 3 engine rule may help poorer teams to save money but those like Mercedes can just circumvent it. If the penalty was 40 grid places per engine, and/or any penalties not used had to be carried forward to the next race, it might work. I think that miraculously there would be far fewer engine problems!

Spa 2016 is irrelevant to 2018. It was irrelevant to 2017 too, they changed that rule to stop that happening again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:42 pm 

Didn't Lewis only really take a 5th engine last year because of Brazil Q and it not costing him anything to do so.

I don't think he needed it for reliability reasons and I think Mercedes will make the limit this year, their customers definitely. Nothing seems to worry them on the engine side at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 am 

3 engine rule only benefit merc & to a lesser extent Ferrari.. because they nailed it the first time around and have the right concept to further develop and improve over the past few years... whilst others are trying to play catch up, the limited running and limited engines prevents others from catching up quickly to be on par.. I think if we know Merfc still haev the advantage, is then to allow others to have a more relaxed regime..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:47 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Didn't Lewis only really take a 5th engine last year because of Brazil Q and it not costing him anything to do so.

I don't think he needed it for reliability reasons and I think Mercedes will make the limit this year, their customers definitely. Nothing seems to worry them on the engine side at all.

I don't think it really matters what actually happened in the end. Point is Merc gained an extra couple of engines for him, which allowed them the luxury of being able to plan their strategy accordingly, by eg turning up the wick in the full knowledge that they had backup in the event of issues. The fact that the PUs actually stood up to the punishment being doled out was just a bonus.

Now the teams have to plan their strategy around 3 PUs, which I'm willing to bet might be a little different to ones in which they were able to choose from 4 or 5.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:17 pm 

If you're a lower team running in 14th/15th, it may be deemed of no benefit to keep going so as to save the engine. I'd hate to see this, but I guess it depends on how Merc, Renault, Ferrari & Honda have built their engine with respect to reliability.

If you look at https://www.thisisf1.com/2017/07/28/f1-2017-engine-unit-elements-used-so-far-hungarian-gp/, this shows last years usage as of Hungary. Many drivers were on the brink at this point (and that was with 4 engines available). I think if they had kept it to 4, we still would have had some penalties, but nothing like as much as 2017.

With 3 engines though, I think we're likely to see at least the same as 2017 in 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:57 pm 

Stupid rule. As the thread title implies, this creates non-racing manipulation. Grrrr...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:06 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Do the customer teams get any compensation from their engine supplier should they suffer an engine failure that may be the suppliers fault?

I've find it amusing that Williams buy a Merc engine for a certain dollar amount in the expectation it should last a certain amount of km or hrs. If said engine fails inside that expectation, it is Williams that cops the grid penalty, potential points loss & therefore prize money loss plus the repair or replacement cost of the engine.

We don't know what is written in contracts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:49 pm 

What if all grid penalties were counted from pole ? :twisted:

For example
Merc have an engine penalty from pos 2, = start in 12th.

FI have a 10 place grid penalty for engine change, qualli position 8, - 10 puts them in 10, 2 actual loss .

Haas have an engine penalty while qualifying 15 = 15th on grid.ETC.

Only those in the top 10 actually have any control over the engine, so those who do not do not get penalized (Well, once Honda get their act together)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm 

We could just get rid of the damn engine/power unit limits altogether, since it's not like the teams are saving a red cent (or eurocent, if you prefer).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:12 pm 

Come Austria, teams will be taking penalties in each and every race for the remainder of the season.
3 engines for 21 races is absolutely ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:29 pm 

This rule is just another example of the fia’s ineptitude. How can anyone think this is going to be good for the sport. Who are the people responsible for these rules?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:32 pm 

kleefton wrote:
This rule is just another example of the fia’s ineptitude. How can anyone think this is going to be good for the sport. Who are the people responsible for these rules?

Next set of big rule shake up in 2021. Or so I keep reading.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:36 am 

Jezza13 wrote:

Customer teams like Williams are in a lose-lose situation. Mercedes supply the engines and the technical specifications on the care and feeding of the engine. Williams pay a huge amount of money for the engine, but they are forbidden by contract to open up the engines. So if something goes wrong, Williams do not even have the opportunity to open up the engine and conduct any forensics on the cause of the problem. So if an engine goes bang, how can Williams prove that the fault was the manufacturer?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:22 am 

But if customers teams are anyways going to pay for 10engines instead of 6 then how is the rule good for them ? R&D required for manufacture to make these engine last 7races and get more out of the engine. I am not sure is cost saving either :?