planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: F1 new theme song
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:50 pm 

To me, it's overly dark and dramatic.
The drum part is so annoying and psychotic, I can not listen to it from the beginning to the end.
The passing car sound is overused.
It does not have a universal melody, just a pattern that repeats itself.

Post subject: Re: F1 new theme song
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:08 pm 

I'm not really sure when this new theme music is meant to be played. If it's to replace this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJx_ll01fU

Then in my opinion it's far too long, also it sounds way too much like a movie soundtrack which I suppose seeing as that is what the guy who wrote it is famous for then I'm not surprised but it doesn't seem to fit F1 at all, apart from having sound random noises that sound vaguely like an F1 car.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 pm 

owenmahamilton wrote:
I'm not really sure when this new theme music is meant to be played. If it's to replace this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJx_ll01fU

Then in my opinion it's far too long, also it sounds way too much like a movie soundtrack which I suppose seeing as that is what the guy who wrote it is famous for then I'm not surprised but it doesn't seem to fit F1 at all, apart from having sound random noises that sound vaguely like an F1 car.

Yes.
It is to replace the music you linked too.

I have a feeling that this will be used in full. They will show the ident. And then immediately go to the grid sequence. It's basically a sound bed that the commentators will talk over to announce grid. It is very American and NASCAR or champ car esq.
If I have time and can find one to demonstrate what I'm on about I'll post what I mean when I finish work

Edit.
If you are familiar with 5 live. They door when the cars are leabingbthe grid for the formation lap.
If you watched sky f1s first 2 races in 2012. They also had a track bed that they talked over on the formation lap.
I suspect that it is the same as that. Buy used just before the formation lap. Or at the formation lap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:29 pm 

wire2004 wrote:
I have a feeling that this will be used in full. They will show the ident. And then immediately go to the grid sequence. It's basically a sound bed that the commentators will talk over to announce grid. It is very American and NASCAR or champ car esq.

It doesn't even need to go to the grid: the typical thing with American broadcasts is indeed to play the intro music, then fade it once the announcers start talking. It could be over some establishing shots of the city, or the drivers getting into their cars, etc. - doesn't really matter what. They play the first few seconds at full volume alone, then show some sort of graphic as it fades and the announcers start talking, and at some point after that it either cuts or finishes. But it certainly won't be that the whole 3 minutes plays before any coverage appears, like a traditional full intro.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 am 

Great to see that Liberty are tackling the big issues facing the sport. :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am 

Took some time but I think I've got the lyrics:

weeeerrroohhh
dun! dun! dun!
zooooo
blblblblblbllblblblbllblbbl
dun! dun! da-nah!
weeeerrroohhh
du-du du-du da
dun! dun! da-nah-nah!
weeeerrroohhh
da-da-da
doo doo doo do do dooo dooo
doo do dodo do doo doo do do dooooo

please don't make me do the rest.

Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:11 pm 

There was an interesting (worrying?) conversation about the theme tune on the F1 Word last night https://youtu.be/OB1JF2PX92w?t=933 involving its use during the race. Have a listen and see what you think. One of the sources they reference i think is this tweet https://twitter.com/Fitcho_/status/976283657076858881

It all sounds plausible but i have heard nothing official

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:16 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
There was an interesting (worrying?) conversation about the theme tune on the F1 Word last night https://youtu.be/OB1JF2PX92w?t=933 involving its use during the race. Have a listen and see what you think. One of the sources they reference i think is this tweet https://twitter.com/Fitcho_/status/976283657076858881

How about they stop the race for 3 minutes while this music plays!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:23 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:

I'm not opposed to new music, I don't really care about that. But playing it over the first three minutes of the race?

What if there's a crash at turn one and the safety car comes out? It'll look and sound ridiculous.

Save it for the highlights, social media, post-race posts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:38 pm 

I believe this music is influenced by Game of Thrones.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:01 pm 

I would rather listen to 'Lost But Won' in a loop for hours.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:34 pm 

What is this, the main theme from a new Terminator movie? Jesus this is so bad on so many levels.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:25 pm 

mastergee wrote:
I've never seen a single episode, and don't plan to. I can only hope it is better than its music, if this is anything to go by.

I feel Limited Slip by Hank Marvin would have done a far better job. But I'm biased, being a boy from when he was king.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8xlqsYz2w

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 pm 

Fiki wrote:
mastergee wrote:
I've never seen a single episode, and don't plan to. I can only hope it is better than its music, if this is anything to go by.

I feel Limited Slip by Hank Marvin would have done a far better job. But I'm biased, being a boy from when he was king.

Watch it, debatably drops in quality as time goes on and they surpassed the books but the first 3 seasons at least are must watch IMO. The theme song is also in a different league to this generic, bland rubbish :-P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:10 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
mastergee wrote:

Watch it, debatably drops in quality as time goes on and they surpassed the books but the first 3 seasons at least are must watch IMO. The theme song is also in a different league to this generic, bland rubbish :-P
Thanks, but I still haven't finished watching all the Shakespeare plays yet. Clearly I'm hopeless at "musts". ;-)

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:31 am 

Not long now until WWE style entrances at every race!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:05 am 

Right now I've heard it's practical use, it's bland and not uplifting, you can't beat a classic rock guitar riff like the BBC's F1 "The Chain" and the BBC's Top of the Pops "Whole Lotta Love", it just sounds corporate and boring.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 am 

Saw it backed up with footage this morning. Actually thought it worked well. Pretty dramatic, but why the hell not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 am 

mastergee wrote:

Brian Tyler was commissioned to write the music. He was heavily influenced by Gustav Holst's epic piece, The Planets. But Holst's work has been a massive influence in many soundtracks, from Lord of the Rings to Game of Thrones to Thor: The Dark World.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:37 am 

Liberty is going to change Formula One, and we should expect the same pattern from last season. All changes will come spaced out in time, never a huge bite the fans have trouble digesting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:00 pm 

The Chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9h34xYsRrI

Nothing has improved on this, ever.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:10 pm 

Such a stupid piece of music. We're not watching Tom Cruise land a spaceship in the middle of New York. Please go away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 pm 

Alex53 wrote:
The Chain.

That is pure nostalgia talking. There is nothing that objectively makes that good F1 music, and not having been exposed to it my whole life I don't think it is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:31 pm 

The old FOM intro to each session got me excited, almost nostalgic.

The new intro made me feel like I was watching Formula E with the House DJ (remember that tack from Season 1?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:56 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Alex53 wrote:
The Chain.

That is pure nostalgia talking. There is nothing that objectively makes that good F1 music, and not having been exposed to it my whole life I don't think it is.

Well at least it's dynamic and not just some kind of boring dirge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:20 pm 

I don't mind it. I'm not thrilled with it, but then, I can't even bring to mind what (if anything) we had in its place before in the US. Something significantly more fast-paced would've been preferable to me, but then if I were in charge of selecting the music, I'd probably pick some power metal or speed metal and then a bunch of people would hate that. :-P Can't please everyone.

I do find the whole new intro piece they added to be unnecessarily long, but it's at least not really annoyingly long. I've never been sure why long intros seem to be a fixture of US sports broadcasting; I fail to see the point of them. People presumably already know what they're watching.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:29 pm 

It's not that bad.
Exactly what i thought would happen.

Music Stab and Ident into music bed.
Another words. They played the music that starts the world feed coverage. Then once the title has finnished. They played the music bed where crofty introduced the scene.

I'm someone who started getting into and enjoying nascar last year. So I'm kind of used too it already as I've watched 5 races races already this year. But for me. I think it worked.
How they do it during the race is a different matter. Will they do it for the grid before the formation lap or will they use it for the formation lap. Or loop the music. (It sounds like it could be looped to make the music longer.) And use it as a music bed for 7 minutes until just before the completion of the formation lap.

Anyone who doesn't like it. Sorry. Looks like this is the direction we are going in formula 1 now. We are going American now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 pm 

Remmirath wrote:
I don't mind it. I'm not thrilled with it, but then, I can't even bring to mind what (if anything) we had in its place before in the US. Something significantly more fast-paced would've been preferable to me, but then if I were in charge of selecting the music, I'd probably pick some power metal or speed metal and then a bunch of people would hate that. :-P Can't please everyone.

I do find the whole new intro piece they added to be unnecessarily long, but it's at least not really annoyingly long. I've never been sure why long intros seem to be a fixture of US sports broadcasting; I fail to see the point of them. People presumably already know what they're watching.

Yeah I'm probably from the same music genre as you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPxHmU5UXxM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:38 pm 

I've just noticed something and it's annoying the hell out of me now.
The bloody drone sound thing that happens when the screen switches from live to replay and replay back to live picture

Ok. I am ok with a little bit of americanisation. But even nascar does not annoy the hell out of me with the drone sound thing for replays. If anyone sees this from fom. Please drop that drone stab.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:00 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Alex53 wrote:
The Chain.

Objectively? It's music. It is always going to be subjective what people prefer. In my book, Fleetwood Mac had more talent in one finger than the composers and performers of the other pieces of music being considered here.

F1 Music? The bass line and build up of The Chain fit the anticipation and release of energy of the start of a Grand Prix spot on.

The new theme song sounds like a 1990s "news special" about the Gulf war is about to start, just change the fake car sounds for jet fighters.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Remmirath wrote:

The obvious candidate, then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G__E-JrwSRY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:38 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Remmirath wrote:

The obvious candidate, then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G__E-JrwSRY

Not quite for me, I'm just wanting the pure guitar riff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 am 

Alex53 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Alex53 wrote:
The Chain.

Objectively? It's music. It is always going to be subjective what people prefer. In my book, Fleetwood Mac had more talent in one finger than the composers and performers of the other pieces of music being considered here.

F1 Music? The bass line and build up of The Chain fit the anticipation and release of energy of the start of a Grand Prix spot on.

The new theme song sounds like a 1990s "news special" about the Gulf war is about to start, just change the fake car sounds for jet fighters.

The only problem with The Chain as it would be seen as copying although I would totally vote for it given the choice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:58 am 

Just seen the music on the intro to qually.

It's fine when on TV. I do watch a lot of NFL. And it kinda reminds me of watching that.

Comparisons to The Chain are pointless, this is for a different purpose.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:11 am 

It's atrocious and the worst sports theme I've ever heard and that's not me being dramatic either. On its own it's woeful but I wanted to hear it in context, and it is serviceable but crap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:30 am 

Well, I certainly like the music, but it doesn't suit the purpose it is used for at all. Listening to a short clip just before handing over to the commentators is fine. But it continuing in the background while explaining the track, that music sounds far too dramatic and action film like to go with this. Hearing it every weekend like this over the whole song length will become tiresome IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 am 

Its music for filling empty spaces in peoples heads. There are far more interesting and relevant things to be listing to then.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:12 am 

Underviewer wrote:
Such a stupid piece of music. We're not watching Tom Cruise land a spaceship in the middle of New York. Please go away.

When I listened to it last night I kept expecting Johnny Depp to pop up doing his pirate Keith Richards impression! It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be during qualifying with the graphics, but it was still pretty crap!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:14 pm 

A little too cliché in the attempt to get an epic / dramatic sound going. Whatever, don't really care. I do like specdecible's lyrics though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:31 pm 

At least it doesn't feature any V10 or V8 era engine sounds (I think). I find it vaguely amusing how many sponsors and advertisements still use those old engine sounds even though they (sadly) haven't had anything to do with F1 for almost 5 years now. But yeah, I think the new theme song sounds somehow like a cheap production. It's like something out of a B-grade game show. They could've at least have decent production.