planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:30 am 

funkymonkey wrote:
I came here just to say this.... Sauber wont be last IMHO, Not even close. :-P

Well I think it is rather unlikely that they will be last too. They were the only team last year to be running a 2016 engine. And towards the end of the season, they really were not that bad when comparing to the start. In Mexico, Ericsson even managed to defend Hamilton for a couple of laps. and was running in the points early on. It was quite possible he would have finished 9th or 10th if his engine didn't blow. With current 2018 engine, I expect that to be a massive leap forward. Even if other teams leap forward too, I expect Sauber to more than a lot. Their chassis looks very different and looks like it could turn out well if they got it right. And their new sponsors money may well help them get even better over the season. Now Toro Rosso has the leased experienced line up and a Honda engine, I just don't see them managing to do better than Sauber. Unless it turns out that Honda get things right and turn out to be the best engine on the grid by far (which is unlikely)

I don't know how well Leclerc will do compared to Ericsson considering he is a rookie. Ericsson in in his 5th year in F1 and 4th with Sauber so I do expect he will beat him this season. He's not as bad as most think as pace wise, he wasn't far off Wehrlein at all. He just needs to make less mistakes. It is possible he could get better in time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:
I came here just to say this.... Sauber wont be last IMHO, Not even close. :-P

I disagree :)

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 12th

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:17 pm 

Head say 'Mercedes'
Heart says 'Ferrari'
Gall Bladder says 'McLaren'!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:19 am 

From the baseless prediction thread before testing

Mercedes-Benz wrote:

I think this season will be very similar to 2017 with Mercedes and Ferrari ahead of the rest then RBR. Mclaren will flop again.

WCC:
1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. RBR
4. FI
5. Renault
6. Mclaren
7. STR
8. Haas
9. Williams
10. Sauber

WDC
1. Hamilton
2. Bottas
3. Kimi
4. Vettel
5. Ricciardo

Race Winners: Hamilton, Bottas, Kimi and Vettel.

Midfield is difficult to predict after testing my guess is Haas will be 4th and Renault 5th then Mclaren, FI, STR, Williams, Saubers. It should be close between these teams and probably Renault and Mclaren will end up as 4th and 5th by end of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:56 am 

My prediction is mayhem and chaos.

Melbourne weather has been all over the place lately with unusually strong and gusty winds (for Melbourne) with wild temperature swings from day to day.

It’s still a while out, but the current forecast for Saturday has a 70% chance of rain and possible thunderstorms in the afternoon.

While Sunday has more rain in the afternoon/evening with a change of wind direction kicker.

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/mel ... ml?ref=hdr

Basically, anything can happen, and probably will.

Cheers,
Noel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
From the baseless prediction thread before testing

Mercedes-Benz wrote:

I think this season will be very similar to 2017 with Mercedes and Ferrari ahead of the rest then RBR. Mclaren will flop again.

WCC:
1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. RBR
4. FI
5. Renault
6. Mclaren
7. STR
8. Haas
9. Williams
10. Sauber

WDC
1. Hamilton
2. Bottas
3. Kimi
4. Vettel
5. Ricciardo

Race Winners: Hamilton, Bottas, Kimi and Vettel.

Why/ how do you think Räikkönen can beat Vettel over the season?

Midfield is difficult to predict after testing my guess is Haas will be 4th and Renault 5th then Mclaren, FI, STR, Williams, Saubers. It should be close between these teams and probably Renault and Mclaren will end up as 4th and 5th by end of the year.

Why/how do you think Räikkönen can beat Vettel over the season?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:03 pm 

So just some observations from the first two races, and I figured I would stick it in here rather than make a whole new thread

Teams that seem to be on the upswing.

Ferrari
Haas
Sauber Alfa Romeo
Toro Rosso
McLaren

Teams that look like they have lost a step

Mercedes
Force India
Williams

No improvement or loss

Renault
Red Bull

So the Honda engine this year is better than Honda engine last year, and Renault engine this year is better than the Honda engine last year, which explains Toro Rosso and McLaren doing better, but what is interesting is the drop off of the Mercedes engine teams.

Williams right now is in a mess, a total tailspin, which could be pinned on the drivers, but Force India, last seasons clear best of the rest outside the top three, are struggling as well.

Meanwhile Haas and Sauber AR are putting in solid results to the surprise of some.

Could it be something to do with the Mercedes engine?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:36 pm 

We still don't really know how quick the Redbulls are in race trim. I predict they are going to shock a lot of people in China.
Mercedes should be fastest there, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferrari back to being the third fastest car.
I also don't expect TR to be leading the midfield in China. Think Haas will be the ones to do that there.
It really is shocking to see the lack of pace of the Mercedes customer teams. They were pretty much back markers in Bahrain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:04 pm 

Yeah, I can't get a feel on Red Bull just yet, they may have improved, but for now I'll just put them in the no improvement or loss group.