Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:53 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
I honestly do think most people consider the cars to be very close with a slight edge to Ferrari.

Does that make Lewis an underdog? Not really, no. See: very close, slight edge.

Not sure. I do think that there are a lot of people that do think that (myself included), but a lot of them also claim that Ferrari is clearly better, with AMUS and other data to prove.

I tend to agree with Covalent though, I try not to generalise what do people think too much. Just because a few people have been vocal one way or the other, doesn't represent all, most, few or whatever percentage one may feel to assign.

Maybe we should have a poll at the end of the year to get this over with.

Then again, it makes for a good debate!

There was a similar poll earlier in the year between Hamilton and Vettel which Hamilton won by a landslide so one poster accused the poll of being bias, Covalent has already said that he doesn't care that much what a few people might say in this thread.

I dare you to quote me on where I've said that.

Quote:
Ah so you confused "most people thing the same way" with "I think most people in this thread think the same way".

So it was an outright lie.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:59 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Maybe you need to read through the thread rather than joining at the 11th hour?

Ah so you confused "most people thing the same way" with "I think most people in this thread think the same way".

No which again shows quite clearly that you have not read the thread.

Why are you so obsessed with what I have read? Should I read through all the pages of whichever thread I'm taking part in? Where is this rule stated?
I'm tempted to say something untrue about Hamilton in the Kimi thread just so that you would have to read through all the hundreds of pages.

You would see what has been discussed and what relevant evidence has been brought forward.

Your claim was that "most people think the same way"; No matter how many times I read this thread over and over would prove that to be either true or false.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:00 pm 

I wonder if Red Bull may have been better off switching to Honda for 2018 rather than waiting. Points wise they possibly would not have been better off.

But longer term, a season of two cars running Honda engines would have allowed extra research and understanding to prepare for 2019.

Red Bull would still have been third in the constructors standings in 2018 albeit a bit further back. They'd probably still have won Monaco and Mexico.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:10 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
I wonder if Red Bull may have been better off switching to Honda for 2018 rather than waiting. Points wise they possibly would not have been better off.

But longer term, a season of two cars running Honda engines would have allowed extra research and understanding to prepare for 2019.

Red Bull would still have been third in the constructors standings in 2018 albeit a bit further back. They'd probably still have won Monaco and Mexico.

I believe they extended their contract for 2 years back in 2016, so next year was their next opportunity to leave Renault. Besides after the McLaren years I can fully understand wanting to trial them in a Toro Rosso.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:34 pm 

Just checked AMUS power rankings. Unsurprisingly, Ferrari ranked ahead of Mercedes in Mexico

Overall, AMUS scores 11--7 to Ferrari (with USA being a draw).

Vettel gives his views on the strength of the SF71H

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/25093/fe ... ettel.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:38 pm 

*****!!!!! youtube F1 showing the 2008 Brazil race 'live'. about 55 laps to go

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:37 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Not sure. I do think that there are a lot of people that do think that (myself included), but a lot of them also claim that Ferrari is clearly better, with AMUS and other data to prove.

I tend to agree with Covalent though, I try not to generalise what do people think too much. Just because a few people have been vocal one way or the other, doesn't represent all, most, few or whatever percentage one may feel to assign.

Maybe we should have a poll at the end of the year to get this over with.

Then again, it makes for a good debate!

There was a similar poll earlier in the year between Hamilton and Vettel which Hamilton won by a landslide so one poster accused the poll of being bias, Covalent has already said that he doesn't care that much what a few people might say in this thread.

Quote:

You said you don't care to read what people have said.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:38 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Why are you so obsessed with what I have read? Should I read through all the pages of whichever thread I'm taking part in? Where is this rule stated?
I'm tempted to say something untrue about Hamilton in the Kimi thread just so that you would have to read through all the hundreds of pages.

You would see what has been discussed and what relevant evidence has been brought forward.

Your claim was that "most people think the same way"; No matter how many times I read this thread over and over would prove that to be either true or false.

Even though you don't have the actual time to read the posts?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:39 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

I believe they extended their contract for 2 years back in 2016, so next year was their next opportunity to leave Renault. Besides after the McLaren years I can fully understand wanting to trial them in a Toro Rosso.

Yeah they have been quite sensible how they have done it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:41 pm 

aice wrote:
Just checked AMUS power rankings. Unsurprisingly, Ferrari ranked ahead of Mercedes in Mexico

Overall, AMUS scores 11--7 to Ferrari (with USA being a draw).

Vettel gives his views on the strength of the SF71H

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/25093/fe ... ettel.html

Yeah there's been a thread created for that, it looks like Vettel doesn't agree with AMuS?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:43 pm 

pokerman wrote:

Come on, this is getting ridiculous. He never said that. If you guys want to take this thread over with your argument, at least make it about something other than semantics. Most people or most people in this thread - who cares? At least talk about something with a point!

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Come on, this is getting ridiculous. He never said that. If you guys want to take this thread over with your argument, at least make it about something other than semantics. Most people or most people in this thread - who cares? At least talk about something with a point!

Point taken.

Edit: I've read through the posts and Covalent didn't say what I said he did so I apologise, just my poor take on him not having read previous posts and how I interpreted most people in this thread as being different to most people in general.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:03 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Quote:

Again, please provide a quote.

Spoiler alert: He won't be able to find one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:05 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Even though you don't have the actual time to read the posts?

I'm sorry what exactly is the question?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:07 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Yes it is getting quite ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:41 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Point taken.

Edit: I've read through the posts and Covalent didn't say what I said he did so I apologise, just my poor take on him not having read previous posts and how I interpreted most people in this thread as being different to most people in general.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:15 am 

For Brazil I have the following:

Qualifying: Mercedes = Ferrari > Red Bull

Race: Red Bull > Mercedes = Ferrari

Race Weekend: Red Bull = Mercedes = Ferrari

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:53 am 

Invade wrote:

No!

It is a fight between RB and Ferrari for the best car but in the last 2 races Mercedes has been absolutely out of it and is at this moment the 3rd best car.

As Hamilton said(about him and Alonso) this year RB car despite the reliability is a very very good car and would have been way higher in the standings if they(driver + team) didn't waste so many points at the beginning of the year.

No idea how Mercedes/Hamilton keep winning races(luck I know but still) with their shocking race pace and traction LOL. Their car is appaling at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:18 am 

Pullrod wrote:
Invade wrote:

No!

It is a fight between RB and Ferrari for the best car but in the last 2 races Mercedes has been absolutely out of it and is at this moment the 3rd best car.

As Hamilton said(about him and Alonso) this year RB car despite the reliability is a very very good car and would have been way higher in the standings if they(driver + team) didn't waste so many points at the beginning of the year.

No idea how Mercedes/Hamilton keep winning races(luck I know but still) with their shocking race pace and traction LOL. Their car is appaling at the moment.

The Mercedes was much slower than the Ferrari in Mexico. None of that was on display yesterday in Brazil.

Personally, I would say that RBR had the best car on balance this weekend. A little bit off in qualifying, true, but they weren't just a little bit ahead in the race - they actually had the pace to pass both Mercedes and both Ferraris on track, and Max - with a damaged car - still reeled Hamilton right back in. The points are given out on Sunday, so a car that has the ability to win from fifth on the grid is the best car over a weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:56 am 

Invade wrote:

Ferrari was faster then Mercedes, Kimi was held up for around 30 laps behind Bottas and still finished under 5 seconds. Without Bottas holding up Kimi and Ricciardo I doubt Hamilton would have got a podium and he would have been fighting those cars which would have dealt more damage to the tyres. Hamilton needed clear air, Ferrari tyre choice and slow Bottas to help him out.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 am 

Qualy Merc -> Ferrari -> Red Bull
Race Red Bull -> Merc -> Ferrari

Might be a bit masked by Bottas once again doing his wingman job, but that's my opinion.
Merc have now won 75% off all races during the hybrid era and F1 pundits desperately try to tell that they're 3rd fastest now..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:29 am 

Exediron wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Invade wrote:

No!

The Mercedes was much slower than the Ferrari in Mexico. None of that was on display yesterday in Brazil.

Personally, I would say that RBR had the best car on balance this weekend. A little bit off in qualifying, true, but they weren't just a little bit ahead in the race - they actually had the pace to pass both Mercedes and both Ferraris on track, and Max - with a damaged car - still reeled Hamilton right back in. The points are given out on Sunday, so a car that has the ability to win from fifth on the grid is the best car over a weekend.

I forgot to take into account Max's floor damage, so yeah, Red Bull probably "was the car to have" over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:47 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Invade wrote:

No!

I think you might have missed something. If not for Bottas holding up both Raikkonen and Vettel, Hamilton would have had both Ferraris and both Red Bulls breathing down his neck. The Red Bulls were easily faster than the Mercs and, judging by how easily Raikkonen left Bottas behind once he finally got past him and how easily he closed down Hamilton too, I think it's safe to say that the Ferrari was also quicker than the Mercedes.

Mercedes' race pace has vanished in the last few rounds. The high altitude and high track temperatures have really not suited them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:01 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Invade wrote:

No!

I think you might have missed something. If not for Bottas holding up both Raikkonen and Vettel, Hamilton would have had both Ferraris and both Red Bulls breathing down his neck. The Red Bulls were easily faster than the Mercs and, judging by how easily Raikkonen left Bottas behind once he finally got past him and how easily he closed down Hamilton too, I think it's safe to say that the Ferrari was also quicker than the Mercedes.

Mercedes' race pace has vanished in the last few rounds. The high altitude and high track temperatures have really not suited them.

I'm sure Pirelli increased the psi again but i don't know if that made any difference. IMO Kimi and Ricciardo would have both finished ahead of Hamilton, take away the time lost behind Bottas plus 12lap and 20lap fresher tyres for both drivers and Hamilton would have needed to put more stress on the tyres to up his pace and defend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Invade wrote:

No!

I'm sure Pirelli increased the psi again but i don't know if that made any difference. IMO Kimi and Ricciardo would have both finished ahead of Hamilton, take away the time lost behind Bottas plus 12lap and 20lap fresher tyres for both drivers and Hamilton would have needed to put more stress on the tyres to up his pace and defend.

Paul di Resta said that it was ridiculous how high Pirelli are running the tyre pressures, the Mercs have no pace in the race because they are lunching the tyres.

The Merc and Ferrari were quite even in qualifying but Merc's tyre wear made it inferior in the race, the Ferrari's starting on the soft tyres was probably a mistake?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:06 pm 

pokerman wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
No!

Paul di Resta said that it was ridiculous how high Pirelli are running the tyre pressures, the Mercs have no pace in the race because they are lunching the tyres.

The Merc and Ferrari were quite even in qualifying but Merc's tyre wear made it inferior in the race, the Ferrari's starting on the soft tyres was probably a mistake?

Good news for Merc fans is that apparently Pirelli will have the Merc-favoring tyres in all races next season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:18 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Good news for Merc fans is that apparently Pirelli will have the Merc-favoring tyres in all races next season.

Yes I heard that, is that to stop the blistering problems?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:48 pm 

Who would have thought after Vettel winning the first 2 races that Red Bull would win at least as many of the remaining races as him. Red Bull v Ferrari are 4-4 in wins since then. Red Bull vs Vettel 4-3.

If the season was to start with how the cars have been the last 8 races then we will have a 3 or more way fight for the WDC next year with at least 1 driver from each of the big three teams.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:02 am 

Johnson wrote:
Who would have thought after Vettel winning the first 2 races that Red Bull would win at least as many of the remaining races as him. Red Bull v Ferrari are 4-4 in wins since then. Red Bull vs Vettel 4-3.

If the season was to start with how the cars have been the last 8 races then we will have a 3 or more way fight for the WDC next year with at least 1 driver from each of the big three teams.

It's been brought to my attention that the late season form of Red Bull coincides with Pirelli upping the tyre pressures which has caused blistering problems for some teams in particular Mercedes, least affected have been Red Bull, let's say the pressures have been unusually high.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 am 

RBR is easily the best car for race. The grip they have and their car is too very good on tyres. They hardly struggle in the races like Ferrari and Mercedes. I thought Ferrari would be good in the race, their pace looked good on Fridays but had blistering more than others. May be they went too conservative with set-up and harder tyres. SS definitely helped RBR and Mercedes in the start.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:51 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
RBR is easily the best car for race. The grip they have and their car is too very good on tyres. They hardly struggle in the races like Ferrari and Mercedes. I thought Ferrari would be good in the race, their pace looked good on Fridays but had blistering more than others. May be they went too conservative with set-up and harder tyres. SS definitely helped RBR and Mercedes in the start.

Ferrari had more blistering than Mercedes? I don't think so. The tyre wear of the Mercedes was pretty bad and driving in clear air helped Hamilton. Without Bottas driving slow Hamilton is struggling for a podium place. Ferrari was actually very good in Mexico too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:37 pm 

Given the Pure Pitwall vid from Mercedes, it seems Lewis's PU problems were quite serious and compromised his pace substantially. It explain how Lewis suddenly wasn't able to produce the expected pace a few laps after his pitstop. This is interesting, as Lewis might have had Verstappen covered otherwise, and it makes the gulf between him and Bottas even more blatant.

2:25

edit:

Later on James also talks about how Bottas was also handcuffed as a knock-on effect from the Mexican GP. So both Mercedes were handcuffed regarding power and made all necessary precautions to finish the race with Bottas. Now that both Championships are cleared up, I wonder if they'll take risks for the final GP of the season in Abu Dhabi.

Last edited by Invade on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:44 pm 

Hard to tell anything for AD with all that went on yeah. Engines turned down for Merc, sensor problems for the quickest Ferrari and the ridiculously high tyre pressures muddy the water somewhat.

Horner said Red Bull also completely ignored qualifying and set the cars up for the race instead which buffed their competitiveness relative to the others. They should've been doing this all year in their unique position but I assume because of the drivers wanting to beat each other in quali its harder to enforce.

I get the feeling Liberty want the tyre pressures high to bring RB into it so the season doesn't fizzle out. Tin foil hat time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:48 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Hard to tell anything for AD with all that went on yeah. Engines turned down for Merc, sensor problems for the quickest Ferrari and the ridiculously high tyre pressures muddy the water somewhat.

Horner said Red Bull also completely ignored qualifying and set the cars up for the race instead which buffed their competitiveness relative to the others. They should've been doing this all year in their unique position but I assume because of the drivers wanting to beat each other in quali its harder to enforce.

I get the feeling Liberty want the tyre pressures high to bring RB into it so the season doesn't fizzle out. Tin foil hat time.

I agree. They might be testing that to how how it could shake up the competitive scene in 2019. I don't mind either. Aren't those thinner tread tyres being used for all races in 2019??

It makes sense to give a little nudge and change the angle of attack, so to speak, as long as there's not a scandalous and consistent bias.

This could be rubbish, of course...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:24 pm 

A piece to get the old debate going again:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/15/ana ... lower-car/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

So after 14 races it was 9-5 in Ferrari's favour but after Mexico it was 10-9 to Mercedes which of course includes the Mercedes getting thrashed in Mexico, this sounds confused? :?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:28 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

So after 14 races it was 9-5 in Ferrari's favour but after Mexico it was 10-9 to Mercedes which of course includes the Mercedes getting thrashed in Mexico, this sounds confused? :?

Yeah that doesn't compute at all does it? Ferrari were easily quicker in races like Austin, Mexico (and probably now Brazil). Many believe that their car was quicker in Singapore as well. There's no way it was ever 10-9. The most generous estimates have it 12-8 right now between the two teams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Yeah that doesn't compute at all does it? Ferrari were easily quicker in races like Austin, Mexico (and probably now Brazil). Many believe that their car was quicker in Singapore as well. There's no way it was ever 10-9. The most generous estimates have it 12-8 right now between the two teams.

The only way someone could call Singapore in favour of Ferrari is if they are delusional. It's one of the easiest races to call all season.

That said i agree the racefans one seems odd, I make it 12-8 to Ferrari.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:33 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

The problem with the RaceFans one is that it looks (as far as I'm aware) only at fastest laps, and doesn't take into account that Merc's problems stem from tyre management in the race, not outright speed. In Mexico they had the outright pace to stay with Ferrari, but couldn't come near them on tyre life, making the Ferrari clearly the better car.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:33 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

The only way someone could call Singapore in favour of Ferrari is if they are delusional. It's one of the easiest races to call all season.

There are quotes from both Vettel and Raikkonen from Singapore claiming they should have had the pole position. Are they "delusional"? Ferrari botched that weekend completely but it wasn't down to the car's level of performance.