Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
You've got this backwards. The original claim was yours that Hamilton would NOT have any get out clauses and that's what started this conversation. When challenged, you then provided a link to show Verstappen didn't have it, but it was pointed out that in the very same link Horner explained that he didn't because he was on a junior contract, while Vettel did because of his previous success. So your link didn't actually support your argument, especially since it confirmed that such get out clauses exist.

What the majority have said is that you cannot possibly know whether or not Hamilton's next contract would contain get out clauses. And that still stands. We know for a fact they exist, which your link proves, but we don't know which drivers have them.

The Maldonado hypothesis is irrelevant with regard to whether Hamilton will have one in his contract.

No I was specifically replying to the notion that all contracts have get out clauses.

But they were only in reply to you saying there definitely wouldn't be. Point is that the existence of get out clauses is proven. Whether Hamilton has them or not is just speculation and you can't make such a claim

Why would I say they are unproven?

I've had several replies to what I said in particular it was said that get out clauses always apply to which I questioned.

the replies were generated by you saying the clauses would not be there. you need to look at the origin of the discussion, not subsequent theories. And you have no way of knowing

I will still go by that, interesting how posts saying that drivers have a performance get out clause for every season gets a free pass.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 pm 

There is speculation that Leclerc has signed with Ferrari for 2 years. The shocking twist to this assumption is that Raikkonen will be going to Sauber in 2019. Assuming that this is true, does this mean:

1. Ferrari are going to invest heavily into Sauber to make it a front running midfield team?
2. Keeping the 1st point in mind, Raikkonen doesn't still want to retire & because of the backing of Ferrari into Sauber, he's ready to move to a midfield team with which he began his career?

Either way, I love this silly season rumour! :]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:43 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
There is speculation that Leclerc has signed with Ferrari for 2 years. The shocking twist to this assumption is that Raikkonen will be going to Sauber in 2019. Assuming that this is true, does this mean:

1. Ferrari are going to invest heavily into Sauber to make it a front running midfield team?
2. Keeping the 1st point in mind, Raikkonen doesn't still want to retire & because of the backing of Ferrari into Sauber, he's ready to move to a midfield team with which he began his career?

I honestly don't believe Kimi would drive for Sauber. He'd retire.

Now, if it was fully rebranded as Alfa Romeo and had the budget of a top-midfield team, then maybe he'd consider devoting his last years to getting it started.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 am 

One more interesting situation heading towards 2019!

What happens to Sainz? He was loaned by Red Bull to Renault but now since Red Bull will get power from Honda engines, it severs all ties with Renault. Would Renault want to keep a Red Bull driver in their car? Even if Red Bull agree, wouldn't they want to good compensation / buyout for Sainz?

So would Sainz be heading to McLaren (if Alonso decides to retire)? If he goes to McLaren, would Ocon be joining Renault as have read reports suggesting Renault are considering Ocon for 2019? If Ocon goes to Renault, it would open the door for Russell!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:28 am 

Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I honestly don't believe Kimi would drive for Sauber. He'd retire.

Now, if it was fully rebranded as Alfa Romeo and had the budget of a top-midfield team, then maybe he'd consider devoting his last years to getting it started.

I don't think even that would be of interest to him. He's said in the past that once he leaves Ferrari, he'll be done with F1 for good. If it were another driver then perhaps, but it's Kimi.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:31 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

What happens to Sainz? He was loaned by Red Bull to Renault but now since Red Bull will get power from Honda engines, it severs all ties with Renault. Would Renault want to keep a Red Bull driver in their car? Even if Red Bull agree, wouldn't they want to good compensation / buyout for Sainz?

So would Sainz be heading to McLaren (if Alonso decides to retire)? If he goes to McLaren, would Ocon be joining Renault as have read reports suggesting Renault are considering Ocon for 2019? If Ocon goes to Renault, it would open the door for Russell!

It has been reported by Autosport that Sainz has a clause in his contract whereby he can leave Red Bull if he's not promoted to the senior team at the end of his Renault loan deal. So if Ricciardo stays at Red Bull, either Red Bull would have to renegotiate with Sainz and extend that loan for another year, or Sainz will simply terminate his contract with them and join Renault permanently.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:22 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

It has been reported by Autosport that Sainz has a clause in his contract whereby he can leave Red Bull if he's not promoted to the senior team at the end of his Renault loan deal. So if Ricciardo stays at Red Bull, either Red Bull would have to renegotiate with Sainz and extend that loan for another year, or Sainz will simply terminate his contract with them and join Renault permanently.

If Ricciardo signs on for a 2 yr spell at RB then I reckon they'll let Sainz go & he'll become a fully employed works Renault driver.

There was talk that even if Ricciardo left RB then Sainz wouldn't be going back as his relationship with Verstappen is a tad strained and RB don't want to upset the vibe with bad karma from Sainz being teamed with Verstappen. Gasly was being touted as Ricciardo's replacement but I don't really think thats going to be an issue anymore.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:46 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

If Ricciardo signs on for a 2 yr spell at RB then I reckon they'll let Sainz go & he'll become a fully employed works Renault driver.

There was talk that even if Ricciardo left RB then Sainz wouldn't be going back as his relationship with Verstappen is a tad strained and RB don't want to upset the vibe with bad karma from Sainz being teamed with Verstappen. Gasly was being touted as Ricciardo's replacement but I don't really think thats going to be an issue anymore.

Something I read earlier on the Sainz contract situation:

Quote:
Renault has also opened talks with Sainz regarding a long-term contract, but Motorsport.com understands Sainz is only free to leave Red Bull if he is not promoted to the senior squad when his loan to Renault ends.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... s-1060807/

I can't find anything stating how long the loan is for but I can only see statements saying he is loaned for 2018, nothing saying it's any longer than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:12 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Quote:
Renault has also opened talks with Sainz regarding a long-term contract, but Motorsport.com understands Sainz is only free to leave Red Bull if he is not promoted to the senior squad when his loan to Renault ends.

I can't find anything stating how long the loan is for but I can only see statements saying he is loaned for 2018, nothing saying it's any longer than that.

Yeah, I'd already mentioned that Autosport were reporting that (albeit without the quote). Renault only really need an alternative if Ricciardo leaves Red Bull, which seems unlikely. And yes, his loan deal is only for this season.

If I'm Sainz and this is an option, then I'd extend the contract with Red Bull whilst also remaining on loan at Renault for 2019. It would make sense for Red Bull as it gives them some flexibility if they did find themselves needing to replace one of their current drivers at the end of 2019, whilst also a good move for Sainz as it simultaneously ensures him a good seat and the possibility of still ending up at the senior Red Bull team in the future. It seems like a move that would make sense for both sides, although whether Renault would be so keen on that I'm not as sure...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:20 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Quote:

Would Red Bull let Sainz go & if yes, wouldn't Renault buy him out?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:56 pm 

If I'm Sainz and this is an option, then I'd extend the contract with Red Bull whilst also remaining on loan at Renault for 2019. It would make sense for Red Bull as it gives them some flexibility if they did find themselves needing to replace one of their current drivers at the end of 2019, whilst also a good move for Sainz as it simultaneously ensures him a good seat and the possibility of still ending up at the senior Red Bull team in the future. It seems like a move that would make sense for both sides, although whether Renault would be so keen on that I'm not as sure...

Danger of that is that if Renault becomes a more attractive place to be than Red Bull but RBR lose a driver he could find himself dragged away from where he wants to be. With Red Bull running Honda next year the next few years are a write off in terms of a serious championship challenge IMO. The choice between the two becomes who you expect to be best from 2021 and I'm not convinced Red Bull are a more favourable option than Red Bull [should say Renault] in that respect.

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:48 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Danger of that is that if Renault becomes a more attractive place to be than Red Bull but RBR lose a driver he could find himself dragged away from where he wants to be. With Red Bull running Honda next year the next few years are a write off in terms of a serious championship challenge IMO. The choice between the two becomes who you expect to be best from 2021 and I'm not convinced Red Bull are a more favourable option than Red Bull in that respect.

I'd say Red Bull is going to be on a par with Red Bull :-P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:39 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Danger of that is that if Renault becomes a more attractive place to be than Red Bull but RBR lose a driver he could find himself dragged away from where he wants to be. With Red Bull running Honda next year the next few years are a write off in terms of a serious championship challenge IMO. The choice between the two becomes who you expect to be best from 2021 and I'm not convinced Red Bull are a more favourable option than Red Bull in that respect.

Goddammit!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:16 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Goddammit!

Well technically there are 2 teams called Red Bull on the grid so it’s not entirely an incorrect statement

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:07 am 

Looks like at least one Mercedes contract is going to be announced today:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:07 am 

Lewis has finally signed a two-year extension, taking him through to the end of 2020.

You would assume that this will result in a number of seats being filled on one side of the driver's market, with Bottas being re-signed, Ricciardo staying at Red Bull and Sainz turning his loan move into a permanent deal. It would then leave the Ferrari-powered side of things to be settled, as well as Alonso making a decision on whether he'll be at McLaren in 2019 or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:44 am 

Lewis has finally signed a two-year extension, taking him through to the end of 2020.

You would assume that this will result in a number of seats being filled on one side of the driver's market, with Bottas being re-signed, Ricciardo staying at Red Bull and Sainz turning his loan move into a permanent deal. It would then leave the Ferrari-powered side of things to be settled, as well as Alonso making a decision on whether he'll be at McLaren in 2019 or not.

Yep I would be guessing Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2 years, Bottas gets another 1 year contract, Sainz a 2 year contract with Renault and Alonso takes up his option for one more year at McLaren.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:58 am 

pokerman wrote:

Yep I would be guessing Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2 years, Bottas gets another 1 year contract, Sainz a 2 year contract with Renault and Alonso takes up his option for one more year at McLaren.

Don't think Merc will reward Bottas with a 2 yr contract?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:54 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

No because of the situation with Ocon and the supposed promise of a drive if he can beat Perez.

His 3 year contract with Force India ends after next season, if he is still beating Perez, who many rate, and there is no seat at Mercedes then basically they risk losing him to Renault.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

No because of the situation with Ocon and the supposed promise of a drive if he can beat Perez.

His 3 year contract with Force India ends after next season, if he is still beating Perez, who many rate, and there is no seat at Mercedes then basically they risk losing him to Renault.

What a grand prospect we have in the near future with younger breed of good drivers that will drive for top teams:

Mercedes - Ocon
Ferrari - Leclerc
Red Bull - Verstappen

And a few other names in other teams:
Force India - Russell
Renault - Sainz
McLaren - Norris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:29 pm 

Sometimes some news sounds quite bizarre even for a silly season.

Just like how there are rumours that Raikkonen will head to Sauber, there's a new strange rumour now. Lance Stroll has been strongly linked with a move to Force India next season. I know Force India need money to survive now but Stroll? They should try their best to become Mercedes' B team instead.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stroll-linked-force-india-move-williams-1061540/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:31 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sometimes some news sounds quite bizarre even for a silly season.

Just like how there are rumours that Raikkonen will head to Sauber, there's a new strange rumour now. Lance Stroll has been strongly linked with a move to Force India next season. I know Force India need money to survive now but Stroll? They should try their best to become Mercedes' B team instead.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stroll-linked-force-india-move-williams-1061540/

That could be an important milestone for FI on its way down to last. ;)
Maybe, Papa Stroll is even buying his son this team?

More competitive drive :lol: - what about a more competitive driver?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 pm 

Apparently Finnish sources are saying Bottas 2yr deal to be announced tomorrow. (Don't know how credible the sources,read it elsewhere)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:17 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Apparently Finnish sources are saying Bottas 2yr deal to be announced tomorrow. (Don't know how credible the sources,read it elsewhere)

Makes sense unless they're desperate to get Ocon into the team. They have their star driver locked down for 2 years so they're not going to sign another top level driver and Bottas is just what they need, a step below an elite driver but close enough to generally maximise points.

Also wasn't there rumours that Bottas being signed for the length of his contract was one of Hamilton's conditions?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:47 am 

Lotus49 wrote:

That kind of leaves Ocon out in the cold then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:37 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Ocon has a contract till next year (Perez's contract expires this year). Ocon would be happy to stick with Force India for the time being, especially if the rumours are true where Mercedes are considering to make Force India their B team.

2 years for Bottas means that the pairing with Hamilton will continue till the new rules come up in 2021. If Hamilton decides to retire then (hope not), Ocon would be an obvious replacement. However, Renault are keeping a close eye on Ocon as per rumours.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 am 

pokerman wrote:

Isn't Verstappen also at Red Bull for another two years?

If you are Ricciardo, and you want Red Bull to support you, then perhaps a longer contract than Verstappen is a better way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:46 am 

Well Merc have teased another contract announcement today, so based on that and the earlier reported rumours, it looks like Bottas will be getting a two-year deal today.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:13 am 

One year contract with an option for an extra year. I guess that makes sense for Merc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/formula ... ssion=true

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:41 am 

1 year contract with the 2nd year as an option. Probably he'll be retained for 2020 as well. However, Ocon's contract expires at the end of 2019 at Force India. Am sure Mercedes will keep an eye on him before Renault snatch him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:25 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Ocon has a contract till next year (Perez's contract expires this year). Ocon would be happy to stick with Force India for the time being, especially if the rumours are true where Mercedes are considering to make Force India their B team.

2 years for Bottas means that the pairing with Hamilton will continue till the new rules come up in 2021. If Hamilton decides to retire then (hope not), Ocon would be an obvious replacement. However, Renault are keeping a close eye on Ocon as per rumours.

All this means Ocon staying at Force India for an extra year not knowing if the Mercedes seat will ever materialise whereas Renault might come a knocking, this depends how much Mercedes value Ocon?

Anyway as I predicted Bottas has a 1 year contract leaving them the Ocon option for 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:27 am 

iano wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Isn't Verstappen also at Red Bull for another two years?

If you are Ricciardo, and you want Red Bull to support you, then perhaps a longer contract than Verstappen is a better way to go.

That would be putting all his eggs in the Red Bull basket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:28 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
1 year contract with the 2nd year as an option. Probably he'll be retained for 2020 as well. However, Ocon's contract expires at the end of 2019 at Force India. Am sure Mercedes will keep an eye on him before Renault snatch him.

Yes as I predicted they want the Bottas/Ocon option for 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:01 am 

Mark Hughes has thrown a few cats among the pigeons, suggesting that:

- Raikkonen will be replaced by Leclerc, but that Kimi does want to continue and is getting Ferrari to help him secure a seat at Sauber
- Stroll would move to Force India with Robert Kubica (supposedly at Stroll's request) partnering him at FI
- That would happen because Ocon has a deal in place to join Renault, freeing up one of the seats, and resulting in...
- Sainz would then move to McLaren, partnering Fernando Alonso and leaving Vandoorne to go to Toro Rosso
- The other FI driver, Sergio Perez, would have his choice of Sauber or Haas. Mark Hughes hasn't specified if a move to Sauber would be to partner Kimi, or instead of Kimi, or not an option if Kimi ends up there, but did say that he would replace Grosjean at Haas if he went there

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... y-go-round

I'd take it all with a large pinch of salt, but I suppose if Stroll were to move to FI, it could set off a chain reaction.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:18 am 

- Raikkonen will be replaced by Leclerc, but that Kimi does want to continue and is getting Ferrari to help him secure a seat at Sauber

I find this very hard to believe. What could Kimi possibly have to gain going there? Maybe a move to Mclaren or Renault could be plausible, but Sauber no way. I'd say for him it's either Ferrari or nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:23 am 

froze wrote:

I find this very hard to believe. What could Kimi possibly have to gain going there? Maybe a move to Mclaren or Renault could be plausible, but Sauber no way. I'd say for him it's either Ferrari or nothing.

Maybe he still enjoys the F1 environment.

Maybe he's going for a record of some kind.

Maybe he likes the thought of finishing where he started.

Maybe the story's a load of crap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:27 am 

froze wrote:

Same. He’s always stated he’s only interested in driving where he has a chance at winning races. I don’t see what his motivation would be in driving for Sauber. McLaren, maybe as they have the resources to fight, but even that’s an outside shot. Just don’t see it at Sauber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:40 am 

- Stroll would move to Force India with Robert Kubica (supposedly at Stroll's request) partnering him at FI
- That would happen because Ocon has a deal in place to join Renault, freeing up one of the seats, and resulting in...
- Sainz would then move to McLaren, partnering Fernando Alonso and leaving Vandoorne to go to Toro Rosso
- The other FI driver, Sergio Perez, would have his choice of Sauber or Haas. Mark Hughes hasn't specified if a move to Sauber would be to partner Kimi, or instead of Kimi, or not an option if Kimi ends up there, but did say that he would replace Grosjean at Haas if he went there

I'd take it all with a large pinch of salt, but I suppose if Stroll were to move to FI, it could set off a chain reaction.

I really don't understand the FI and Stroll thing. I know FI supposedly have money issues but surely there's another way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:53 am 

With so many moves, this would be the biggest shuffle in F1 history.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:57 am 

JN23 wrote:

I really don't understand the FI and Stroll thing. I know FI supposedly have money issues but surely there's another way.

FI are better off if they let Mercedes buy the team. The entire staff would be in safe hands & there would be no loss of jobs due to increase in finances & infrastructure. FI have never gone for a pay driver. They've ofcourse gone for drivers with some good sponsorship when it comes to development or third driver.

Checo's contract gets over this year & i seems very likely he'll jump ship (Haas most likely). Ocon has a 3 year contract with FI which gets over at the end of 2019.