planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:34 pm 

I disagree. Going from a difficult and underperforming car to a good car isn’t a difficult transition. Going from a good car to a poor one is where difficulties are more prevalent. The same was said about Verstappen jumping into the Red Bull and he won his very first time out. Why?... because the increase in performance gives drivers the confidence to push to the limits.

As hard as Verstappen pushed in his Toro Rosso, he couldn’t push to the absolute limit of his ability because the car would not allow for it. But with the Red Bull’s increased performance he was able to do more.

Stroll might experience the same jumping to the Force India.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:36 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
I disagree. Going from a difficult and underperforming car to a good car isn’t a difficult transition. Going from a good car to a poor one is where difficulties are more prevalent. The same was said about Verstappen jumping into the Red Bull and he won his very first time out. Why?... because the increase in performance gives drivers the confidence to push to the limits.

As hard as Verstappen pushed in his Toro Rosso, he couldn’t push to the absolute limit of his ability because the car would not allow for it. But with the Red Bull’s increased performance he was able to do more.

I wouldn't try comparing Stroll to Verstappen!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:43 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:

If there is no way for them to break Ocon's contract for 2018 (which I would assume is the case) and Force India have already decided on Stroll and Perez for 2019, I can't imagine there is anything Lawrence Stroll could offer (realistically, of course) that would entice Mercedes to agree to letting them drop Ocon for the remaining races. Mercedes have nothing to gain from doing so, particularly if Esteban isn't going to be on the grid in 2019.

Incidentally, wouldn't it be a bit bizarre if Mercedes were to drop Bottas for Ocon come 2020 if Esteban isn't even racing in F1 next year? When was the last time one of F1's front-running teams put a driver into their car who wasn't on the F1 grid the previous year?

Mercedes hired Schumacher when they were the current champions. Renault took Alonso after a year out. McLaren hired Hamilton as a rookie. It's happaned a few times over the last 20 years.

Renault and McLaren were not the defending champs in those scenarios with Alonso and Hamilton. As for Michael; he was already a 7 time WDC. That maybe earns you a bit of credibility.

They were all front running teams hiring drivers who hadn't been on the grid the previous season. I was only answering the question.

I hear you but I think the situation is a bit different when you are actually the defending champs.

Incidentally; regarding Ocon; I think he actually firmly has Perez beat on pace. Singapore was not the first time Sergio has taken him out of a race (and he did take him out intentionally IMO). I think Sergio is well aware of the fact that Ocon is the better driver.

Well yes but if you're waiting for a driver move with an identical situation to another you'll be in for a long wait. And of course Merc might be the champion team going in to 2020. I agree Ocon has Perez beat for pace which is a very underrated achievement. I think Perez and Ocon are the best two drivers outside the established big 5.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:18 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

I wouldn't try comparing Stroll to Verstappen!

Its sad that Stroll receives so much criticism and negative talk about him. He is an accomplished driver Pre-F1 and has shown character beyond his years and as far as I know has yet to have a display of arrogance, and rather is very polite and respectful.

You guys make Verstapppen seem as though he is the greatest driver you've ever seen and though he is quick, Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel would spank him EASILY in the same car. He'd be closer to them than previous teammates, but most of the time he'd still be enjoying the splendid view of their tail lights just the same.n Maybe one day he'll be on their level, but right now he's just shy of the mark. Of them all, Vettel might be the easiest one for him to match/beat, but if Vettel sorts out his propensity for making errors, he'd have Verstappen's number because Verstappen tends to make similar mistakes only he doesn't much care and rarely owns up to his mistakes. Most recently purposely smashing into Bottas… He's still adamant that he did nothing wrong when his intentions are quite clear and captured in vivid 1080p quality for anyone to see.

https://youtu.be/k4I-7Ghu7eg?t=294

^^^ If you watch for a couple of minutes you'll hear them dissect Verstappen pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:42 pm 

And Now it's rumored that Alonso might be going into Nascar instead of Indy, which I find hard to believe, but it just might be the case.
I don't know why any accomplished driver would want to drive in that series. It's a borefest and I'm not of the Rubbin's Racin' school so I can't bring myself to watch it, but if Alonso does land there I'll watch a few races here and there and see what gives.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:42 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
I know literally the whole world (including Ocon) believe that Lance will take his place & not Perez's seat instead. But am surprised, there hasn't been any kind of announcement from Lawrence Stroll or the consortium as a whole talking about the future driver lineup, short & long term goals & any changes to the philosophy of the team going ahead.

If Lance does take Ocon's seat, we can safely assume that fatherhood has more impetus for him than being a good businessman! The remaining members of the consortium surely must be having a lot of faith in Lance. Maybe Lance is not that bad but doubt if he's better than Ocon who's fast & consistent. He has the right attitude & it's hard to dislike him!

I think what might be holding up the 2019 announcement is that they are trying to get Stroll in the car for this year but trying to break a Mercedes contract might be that bit harder than trying to break a driver contract?

If there is no way for them to break Ocon's contract for 2018 (which I would assume is the case) and Force India have already decided on Stroll and Perez for 2019, I can't imagine there is anything Lawrence Stroll could offer (realistically, of course) that would entice Mercedes to agree to letting them drop Ocon for the remaining races. Mercedes have nothing to gain from doing so, particularly if Esteban isn't going to be on the grid in 2019.

Incidentally, wouldn't it be a bit bizarre if Mercedes were to drop Bottas for Ocon come 2020 if Esteban isn't even racing in F1 next year? When was the last time one of F1's front-running teams put a driver into their car who wasn't on the F1 grid the previous year?

As per what I read in article, Otmar & the team probably don't want a driver change (Ocon & Lance swap) this year as Force India's target is to score as many points as possible to help them climb in the WCC table. If Lance were to come in, he surely will need a few races to get up to speed & understand the VJM11 car completely. That's precious races wasted out of the 6 races left. Still this is not official but if Lance were to take Ocon's seat still, it could happen at Russia.

Also Otmar has brought back the shackles of not letting the drivers race one another so that kind of suggests that Ocon is not going anywhere soon this season?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:48 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
And Now it's rumored that Alonso might be going into Nascar instead of Indy, which I find hard to believe, but it just might be the case.
I don't know why any accomplished driver would want to drive in that series. It's a borefest and I'm not of the Rubbin's Racin' school so I can't bring myself to watch it, but if Alonso does land there I'll watch a few races here and there and see what gives.

That would be interesting to hear Alonso say "you must always leave the room". :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:58 am 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
I know literally the whole world (including Ocon) believe that Lance will take his place & not Perez's seat instead. But am surprised, there hasn't been any kind of announcement from Lawrence Stroll or the consortium as a whole talking about the future driver lineup, short & long term goals & any changes to the philosophy of the team going ahead.

If Lance does take Ocon's seat, we can safely assume that fatherhood has more impetus for him than being a good businessman! The remaining members of the consortium surely must be having a lot of faith in Lance. Maybe Lance is not that bad but doubt if he's better than Ocon who's fast & consistent. He has the right attitude & it's hard to dislike him!

I think what might be holding up the 2019 announcement is that they are trying to get Stroll in the car for this year but trying to break a Mercedes contract might be that bit harder than trying to break a driver contract?

As per what I read in article, Otmar & the team probably don't want a driver change (Ocon & Lance swap) this year as Force India's target is to score as many points as possible to help them climb in the WCC table. If Lance were to come in, he surely will need a few races to get up to speed & understand the VJM11 car completely. That's precious races wasted out of the 6 races left. Still this is not official but if Lance were to take Ocon's seat still, it could happen at Russia.

Also Otmar has brought back the shackles of not letting the drivers race one another so that kind of suggests that Ocon is not going anywhere soon this season?

I'm still not ruling out the possibility of Perez going to Haas. Haas will be announcing their lineup for 2019 as per reports around Russian Grand Prix weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:52 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:

If he's got any sense then he will have looked at what happened to Robert Wickens and asked himself if he really, really needs that level of risk at this point in his career. Particularly when he has shown he can run competitively in the Indy 500 without needing to run a whole Indy season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:35 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Fully agree. I can't see Alonso going there unless there is no other choice for him

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:22 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:

If he's got any sense then he will have looked at what happened to Robert Wickens and asked himself if he really, really needs that level of risk at this point in his career. Particularly when he has shown he can run competitively in the Indy 500 without needing to run a whole Indy season.

I believe that NASCAR is actually safer than Indycar?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:29 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:

I started watching NASCAR when Montoya went there in 2007 for a few years, it's probably about 8 years since I last watched a race, I guess that says it all for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:57 pm 

pokerman wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

I believe that NASCAR is actually safer than Indycar?

It is. The car chassis is essentially a complete roll cage engineered to absorb impacts much like crumple zones and the drivers are overall away from the stricture of the car everywhere but the left side.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm 

Gionivazzi replaces Ericsson for 2019:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:29 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Excellent news, about time talent won over money, one less pay driver on the grid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:34 pm 

This is fantastic for Ferrari. As I'd previously said, they can now use Kimi's performance against Seb to basically indirectly compare Giovinazzi and Leclerc. Obviously it's not going to be a perfect comparison, but it will certainly provide more information than they would've got if Giovinazzi had partnered Ericsson. It also confirms what we've been told re: Kimi negotiating his deal directly with Ferrari, and Ferrari having the final say on one of Sauber's two seats.

Can't say I'll be too sad to see the back of Marcus Ericsson (although I guess he could still end up at Williams) but it is also another door closed for Vandoorne, which does make me sad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:37 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Excellent news, about time talent won over money, one less pay driver on the grid.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment - and I'm certainly not arguing that Giovinazzi isn't more talented than Ericsson, nor more deserving of an F1 seat - he's still in that seat because of money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 pm 

Ericsson still remain with Sauber as their 3rd driver & brand ambassador 8O :

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:15 pm 

This is fantastic for Ferrari. As I'd previously said, they can now use Kimi's performance against Seb to basically indirectly compare Giovinazzi and Leclerc. Obviously it's not going to be a perfect comparison, but it will certainly provide more information than they would've got if Giovinazzi had partnered Ericsson. It also confirms what we've been told re: Kimi negotiating his deal directly with Ferrari, and Ferrari having the final say on one of Sauber's two seats.

Can't say I'll be too sad to see the back of Marcus Ericsson (although I guess he could still end up at Williams) but it is also another door closed for Vandoorne, which does make me sad.

You mean that Kimi directly negotiated his deal directly with Sauber? :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment - and I'm certainly not arguing that Giovinazzi isn't more talented than Ericsson, nor more deserving of an F1 seat - he's still in that seat because of money.

Semantics, Giovinazzi got signed to Ferrari based on results, Ericsson bought his way into F1 after 3 mediocre seasons in GP2, under the present system he wouldn't have been given a super license.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:59 pm 

So now 8 seats have to be confirmed!
Williams, Toro Rosso, Haas & Force India left to confirm their drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm 

pokerman wrote:

You mean that Kimi directly negotiated his deal directly with Sauber? :)

That would've been fun to watch... obviously I meant his management team, and that it wasn't done through Ferrari.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:05 pm 

pokerman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Semantics, Giovinazzi got signed to Ferrari based on results, Ericsson bought his way into F1 after 3 mediocre seasons in GP2, under the present system he wouldn't have been given a super license.

I know. My point is that arguing that talent won over money isn't necessarily true because if talent was the only factor then there are still better drivers without a seat. Money has ultimately decided that seat; we're just fortunate that for the second year in a row, a talented driver has benefitted from that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 pm 

Marcus did a job for Sauber, he brought money to the team during a tricky period and improved steadily. But this is clearly a team with ambition to move further up the grid, so keeping Ericsson would have been tough to justify. He just isn't particularly good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:08 am 

We seem to be in a period of rapid turnover in F1. An outgoing generation and a glut of new talent. It's unfortunate that there are currently so few seats. There's bound to be some drivers left on the sidelines.

Grosjean for me should be on borrowed time. At this stage, Haas should be looking to improve their driver lineup. I actually think neither of their drivers is worth keeping. They could easily improve with two youngsters IMO. Every point they've earned this year is all car with the exception of that great run at the end of the German GP from Grosjean and Magnussen's 5 in Australia after passing Max on the opening lap. Most of the time you're just happy to see them not crash out...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:28 pm 

Ocon has said he's trying to strike a deal with Williams but isn't sure it will work out.
https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/241613/ocon-negotiating-with-williams-over-2019-drive

More than 2019, I see 2020 as a better year for Ocon!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:47 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
We seem to be in a period of rapid turnover in F1. An outgoing generation and a glut of new talent. It's unfortunate that there are currently so few seats. There's bound to be some drivers left on the sidelines.

Grosjean for me should be on borrowed time. At this stage, Haas should be looking to improve their driver lineup. I actually think neither of their drivers is worth keeping. They could easily improve with two youngsters IMO. Every point they've earned this year is all car with the exception of that great run at the end of the German GP from Grosjean and Magnussen's 5 in Australia after passing Max on the opening lap. Most of the time you're just happy to see them not crash out...

I wouldn't be a fan of either driver either, Grosjean is inconsistent, when Grosjean is on it KMag looks plain slow, I think that's because at his very best Grosjean can be very fast.

Grosjean has come forward and said that he hasn't been offered a new contract yet which would suggest that Haas themselves are not fully convinced of him, reports from Singapore said that Haas were disappointed with both drivers.

However who would you put in the Haas, I can't see many options bear in mind that Haas are not keen on inexperienced drivers or drivers affiliated to other teams.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:11 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Ocon has said he's trying to strike a deal with Williams but isn't sure it will work out.
https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/241613/ocon-negotiating-with-williams-over-2019-drive

More than 2019, I see 2020 as a better year for Ocon!

This is probably Ocon's only remaining option, hope it works out for him. Maybe Toto should put his hand in his pockets to make sure it happens...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I wouldn't be a fan of either driver either, Grosjean is inconsistent, when Grosjean is on it KMag looks plain slow, I think that's because at his very best Grosjean can be very fast.

Grosjean has come forward and said that he hasn't been offered a new contract yet which would suggest that Haas themselves are not fully convinced of him, reports from Singapore said that Haas were disappointed with both drivers.

However who would you put in the Haas, I can't see many options bear in mind that Haas are not keen on inexperienced drivers or drivers affiliated to other teams.

And Steiner said that Haas would be announcing their driver lineup in 2 weeks. He said this during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend which means an announcement during Sochi weekend should be a possibility. Still am not ruling out Perez going to Haas as neither he nor Force India have made any announcement. Perez had said the team will announce it first!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I think that Haas insisting on experience was maybe something that made sense when they were a new team. Currently though, they have the fourth best car and have maintained that level of performance all year through the development race. Force India have closed in but that's about it. IMO the most important thing about drivers is their level of performance; not experience. I think Haas will fully understand that by now.

I don't get the sense that they are anywhere near as beholden to Ferrari as some people seem to think. They are just a customer team and nothing more. Ferrari has no special hold over them so I wouldn't count out the likes of Ocon going there with an arrangement with Mercedes whereby they can swap him for Bottas should Merc make the call up. I don't think they would go for the rookie George Russell though. They will want an established commodity. Honestly, I think they should be open to him though purely because of talent. If they can gain 2-3 tenths through signing better drivers, they need to be open to that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:33 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Perez would be the obvious upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:39 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

And Steiner said that Haas would be announcing their driver lineup in 2 weeks. He said this during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend which means an announcement during Sochi weekend should be a possibility. Still am not ruling out Perez going to Haas as neither he nor Force India have made any announcement. Perez had said the team will announce it first!

Perez basically all but confirmed he's staying at Force India. His comments on this article, when asked about whether he seriously considered a return to McLaren, are those of a driver who knows where he'll be driving next year. Particularly:

Quote:
"If you're not in a Mercedes or in a Ferrari seat, Force India becomes a very attractive place," said Perez.

"We've beaten everyone in the past two years. I've grown up a lot with the team. I'm happy with my plans.

"I think being here can be a good place for the coming years."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:57 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Perez basically all but confirmed he's staying at Force India. His comments on this article, when asked about whether he seriously considered a return to McLaren, are those of a driver who knows where he'll be driving next year. Particularly:

Quote:
"If you're not in a Mercedes or in a Ferrari seat, Force India becomes a very attractive place," said Perez.

"We've beaten everyone in the past two years. I've grown up a lot with the team. I'm happy with my plans.

"I think being here can be a good place for the coming years."

I'm aware he said this. But were You or all of us in general expecting Raikkonen to leave Ferrari & Join Sauber OR Ricciardo not sticking with Red Bull & going to Renault? Watching F1 for all these years has taught me drivers may not always speak the complete truth or may disguise their answer to preserve the best interest either of themselves or the team they may join.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:59 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I think that Haas insisting on experience was maybe something that made sense when they were a new team. Currently though, they have the fourth best car and have maintained that level of performance all year through the development race. Force India have closed in but that's about it. IMO the most important thing about drivers is their level of performance; not experience. I think Haas will fully understand that by now.

I don't get the sense that they are anywhere near as beholden to Ferrari as some people seem to think. They are just a customer team and nothing more. Ferrari has no special hold over them so I wouldn't count out the likes of Ocon going there with an arrangement with Mercedes whereby they can swap him for Bottas should Merc make the call up. I don't think they would go for the rookie George Russell though. They will want an established commodity. Honestly, I think they should be open to him though purely because of talent. If they can gain 2-3 tenths through signing better drivers, they need to be open to that.

I was just thinking about it yesterday, when i heard the news about Giovinazzi's signing. Right now i think that Magnussen is safe because he is consistent and there aren't many options out there that would be an upgrade, plus i don't think they would want to change both drivers. Vandoorne might get in the mix for Grosjean seat. They won't go for a rookie, they don't want Ocon on a Mercedes contract and Perez is probably not available.

Top 3 Competition
2016: 5th, Wins in: Spain, 1st Great Britain

F1 Oracle 2016: 2nd, Wins in: Australia, Russia, Canada, Great Britain

Group Pick'em 6th, Podiums: 2nd Monaco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:46 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

If it's in 2 weeks time then I expect it to be Grosjean and KMag.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:52 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I believe Steiner has already said that they wouldn't consider Ocon because Ferrari might not be happy with that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:53 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Perez would be the obvious upgrade.

Surely he's nailed on for Force Stroll?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:56 pm 

Fountoukos13 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I was just thinking about it yesterday, when i heard the news about Giovinazzi's signing. Right now i think that Magnussen is safe because he is consistent and there aren't many options out there that would be an upgrade, plus i don't think they would want to change both drivers. Vandoorne might get in the mix for Grosjean seat. They won't go for a rookie, they don't want Ocon on a Mercedes contract and Perez is probably not available.

Vandoorne is rumoured to be going to Mercedes 8O

in FE. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:03 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I believe Steiner has already said that they wouldn't consider Ocon because Ferrari might not be happy with that.

Steiner has said Ferrari have no say in their drivers:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13838 ... 019-lineup
Quote:
"We could take him, we may decide not to take him," said Steiner.

"But we can decide that, it's our judgement that counts. We're not told what to do."
"It's more a philosophical thing for us. We have got a good partner in Ferrari.

"I respect Ocon, he's a very good driver."

I'd imagine it's more that they're not interested in loaning a driver who is contracted to another team.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:18 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Steiner has said Ferrari have no say in their drivers:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13838 ... 019-lineup
Quote:
"We could take him, we may decide not to take him," said Steiner.

"But we can decide that, it's our judgement that counts. We're not told what to do."
"It's more a philosophical thing for us. We have got a good partner in Ferrari.

"I respect Ocon, he's a very good driver."

I'd imagine it's more that they're not interested in loaning a driver who is contracted to another team.

That as well.

I'm aware that Haas want to choose their own drivers and not ones fostered onto them by Ferrari but Steiner did say maybe Ferrari would not be too happy if we signed Ocon.