Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:55 am 

KingVoid wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
From a Merc side as well I don't think resigning Hamilton is a no brainer either. If he continues to operate on the Bottas level and if Merc can get Ricciardo then I can see them waving goodbye. Hamilton is very high maintenance, very expensive and hardly seems a positive influence in the team at the moment. If they can get Ricciardo who is a far more positive character, would cost less money and maybe more motivated then I could see them partnering him with Bottas.

That's kind of ridiculous. Taking two lackluster races and ignoring the previous 4 years (and 40 wins) that Lewis racked up with them would be a foolish thing to do. You never want to take a proven champion for granted for the next shiny thing; especially an all-time great. How did replacing Michael with Kimi work out? How did allowing Lewis to walk out the door at McLaren work out? Lewis's salary is a drop in the bucket for a corporation the size of Daimler. They will re-sign him if he wants to stay. Of that you can be certain. I rate Dan but he's not a proven commodity when it comes to winning championships.

I said if.

And all the other points against Hamilton are nothing new. Sure it would be a risk but if you are as high maintenance, as expensive and as negative as Hamilton is at times you have to maintain a hell of an upside to be worth all the bother.

F1 teams are going through a faze of being extremely conservative with driver choices so I expect Merc to offer Lewis a deal. I just don't think it's a certainty.

Negative? Sorry I don't agree at all. Hamilton isn't a negative person. In fact his impact on the teams he has raced for has been overwhelmingly positive. Sure there are bumps in the road for him and for everyone else but he has always had an uplifting impact on any team he's raced for. This has been a strength for both him and Vettel. In fact, of the top drivers currently in F1, only Alonso has any kind of track record of bringing negativity to a team (and even that is mostly out of understandable frustration).

Hamilton and Vettel are different personalities, but I don't think that one is necessarily better than the other.

When things don't go Hamilton's way, he seems to be in a permanent state of constant negativity. He moans to his race engineer and he seems defeatist. Vettel is calm 95% of the time, but when he loses his cool, he goes completely ballistic. I'm obviously talking about Mexico 2016 and Baku 2017. I don't remember Hamilton ever getting that angry. Lewis is in a constant state of negativity, while Seb occasionally blows up in rage.

I agree that Alonso's track record is probably the worst at bringing negativity into a team.

Ricciardo seems like a laid back guy, but even he threw his team under the bus after Monaco 2016.

Agreed about Seb. But all drivers get cranky when things don't go their way and Hamilton is no exception. He does tend to be on the radio a lot, but then again this could be that they air more of his messages than other drivers. That wouldn't paint him as a negative person though. Personally I am more irked by Alonso's snarky comments at times rather than Lewis's.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:15 am 

Toby. wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Ricciardo seems like a laid back guy, but even he threw his team under the bus after Monaco 2016.

Completely fairly I'd argue. You don't go from getting pole in Monaco, leading every lap comfortably (and pulling out a healthy lead early on I recall) to losing the win because of a mix up by the pit lane and not express frustration at what had happened. Doubly frustrating given Red Bull had only one car to watch out for, with Verstappen having put it in the wall earlier.

I couldn't imagine a single driver on the grid, on any grid for that matter, not being frustrated by that.

It's fair to be upset about it. But I think by "throwing them under the bus" KingVoid was referring to the driver attacking his team in public. We criticise Horner for attacking Renault, for example, even if he has a legitimate grievance as to their performance, so similar standards should to my mind apply to drivers. Keep your dissatisfaction between yourselves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:18 am 

Exediron wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Was there any way, shape or form in which the pit stop incident was his fault? If not, blaming them isn't throwing them under the bus.

Exactly. And honestly, if a driver isn't allowed to say negative things about his team (and I'm not saying you were implying that, KingVoid, I'm just making more of a general comment) even after circumstances like that then we may as well just ban them from ever being allowed to say anything negative, because Red Bull certainly deserved that criticism.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Exediron wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Was there any way, shape or form in which the pit stop incident was his fault? If not, blaming them isn't throwing them under the bus.

Exactly. And honestly, if a driver isn't allowed to say negative things about his team (and I'm not saying you were implying that, KingVoid, I'm just making more of a general comment) even after circumstances like that then we may as well just ban them from ever being allowed to say anything negative, because Red Bull certainly deserved that criticism.

It's not a case of saying something negative that's the problem. It's when that negativity is still with you twenty laps later and your still giving your engineer attitude when he's giving you unrelated instruction. That's when it becomes unhelpful.

I've noticed a trend among many drivers where they sane to be competing as to who can be the most rude as dismissive towards there race engineer. Hamilton's not alone. Times last year Alonso's attitude towards his race engineer was awful and completely unhelpful

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:25 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

It's not a case of saying something negative that's the problem. It's when that negativity is still with you twenty laps later and your still giving your engineer attitude when he's giving you unrelated instruction. That's when it becomes unhelpful.

I've noticed a trend among many drivers where they sane to be competing as to who can be the most rude as dismissive towards there race engineer. Hamilton's not alone. Times last year Alonso's attitude towards his race engineer was awful and completely unhelpful

So what exactly did Hamilton say this season that was so rude?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:52 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Eh, sometimes you just need to vent, and in that cockpit, you can only vent to the person on the other end of the radio. Bit like coming home in a bad mood from work and ending up being miserable with the missus, you just project onto whoever you have access to at the time. Not that I think its ideal either, but it is understandable.

Half the time I think the drivers are just talking to themselves in all honesty, airing their grievances in speech.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:00 am 

Flash2k11 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Eh, sometimes you just need to vent, and in that cockpit, you can only vent to the person on the other end of the radio. Bit like coming home in a bad mood from work and ending up being miserable with the missus, you just project onto whoever you have access to at the time. Not that I think its ideal either, but it is understandable.

Half the time I think the drivers are just talking to themselves in all honesty, airing their grievances in speech.

It being understandable or not isn't what I'm questioning. If you're a shop assistant and have to deal with a rude customer that may get you down but if you then yourself are still grumpy and being rude to other customers hours later because of it then you are not performing the best you possibly can.

It may be sometimes understandable for drivers to be annoyed and hold that with them but it's still unhelpful. This is F1 the and Hamilton is right at the sharp end. The space to allow any area of your performance to drop is tiny and communication with his engineer is an area of performance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 am 

shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

So what exactly did Hamilton say this season that was so rude?

Why are you singling out Hamilton? Mikey talked about many drivers in his post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:50 am 

@Siao7.

Why single out Hamilton? Because Mikey referenced Hamilton and his problems more than any other driver. I think seven times in all seven posts he made on the matter. And he also said 'look at him last weekend'. Which I did. Hence the question. Why?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:00 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

Why single out Hamilton? Because Mikey referenced Hamilton and his problems more than any other driver. I think seven times in all seven posts he made on the matter. And he also said 'look at him last weekend'. Which I did. Hence the question. Why?

Ok, fair enough, it's just that the post you replied to refers to a negativity trend amongst all drivers, that's why I questioned your reply, I wasn't having a go at you!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:10 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

I'm singling out Hamilton but he's far from the only one. It does seem to come from him quite often considering out of all drivers in F1 for the last 4 years he's a had the least to be negative about! From the last race I was referring to his sarcastic comments when he was asked to push late in the race. Not a big deal of course it's just part of a picture. If you're going to charge as much for your services as Hamilton then you have to continually justify it and standards are obviously going to be very high. I would include having a professional attitude in that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:13 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

I'm singling out Hamilton but he's far from the only one. It does seem to come from him quite often considering out of all drivers in F1 for the last 4 years he's a had the least to be negative about! From the last race I was referring to his sarcastic comments when he was asked to push late in the race. Not a big deal of course it's just part of a picture. If you're going to charge as much for your services as Hamilton then you have to continually justify it and standards are obviously going to be very high. I would include having a professional attitude in that.

If you are just referencing the last race why did Hamilton have to ask his engineer if cars behind him had changed their tyres so were on fresher tyres, would you not be just a bit irked that his engineer kept that from him?

The reply to Hamilton was that if they had pitted him then he would have been behind the cars he was presently in front as in we know what we are doing you just drive the car.

Then Hamilton has the indignity of the cars on fresher tyres going by him and the engineer telling him to drive faster and Hamilton might just be feeling yes to cover up for the cock up?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 4th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:24 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

If you are just referencing the last race why did Hamilton have to ask his engineer if cars behind him had changed their tyres so were on fresher tyres, would you not be just a bit irked that his engineer kept that from him?

The reply to Hamilton was that if they had pitted him then he would have been behind the cars he was presently in front as in we know what we are doing you just drive the car.

Then Hamilton has the indignity of the cars on fresher tyres going by him and the engineer telling him to drive faster and Hamilton might just be feeling yes to cover up for the cock up?

Sure he feels it. Is it helpful for him to say it? Would the fact he was still bringing it up many laps later not indicative of a negative frame of mind? Justified or otherwise.

But as you say that was just the last race. Had that been the only time then it wouldn't be worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:43 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

That wasnt true tho as hamilton would have pitted before both red bulls. He was ahead of them iirc, i recall see both redbulls dive into the pitts after hamilton had rounded the last corner. So hamilton would of had fresher tires and been ahead of the bulls.

Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:48 pm 

Mayhem wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

That wasnt true tho as hamilton would have pitted before both red bulls. He was ahead of them iirc, i recall see both redbulls dive into the pitts after hamilton had rounded the last corner. So hamilton would of had fresher tires and been ahead of the bulls.

Yes, but we only know the Red Bulls pitted with hindsight. At the time, Mercedes didn't have confidence that Hamilton would be significantly faster than the Bulls on the softer tyre (if the Bulls hadn't pitted). Which is odd, as even a complete amateur like me was screaming at the TV for not doing that with Kimi's tyres

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:59 pm 

Mayhem wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

Wasn't he behind Verstappen? He would've lost track position to two cars had he pitted that he was ahead of behind the safety car - Verstappen and Kimi.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 pm 

Mayhem wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

No if had pitted he would have been behind Verstappen and Kimi but still ahead of Ricciardo, Verstappen was already ahead of him before the SC whilst Kimi didn't pit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:38 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

Sure he feels it. Is it helpful for him to say it? Would the fact he was still bringing it up many laps later not indicative of a negative frame of mind? Justified or otherwise.

But as you say that was just the last race. Had that been the only time then it wouldn't be worth mentioning.

We are only 3 races into the season and Mercedes have already got the strategy wrong twice, it's not good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
@Siao7.

We are only 3 races into the season and Mercedes have already got the strategy wrong twice, it's not good.

Partially explaining my point about Hamilton seeming unhappy but not excluding my point about his negativity being a draw back of having him as a driver.

Although both Hamilton's unhappiness and negative attitude have long predated this season. He doesn't seem to have enjoyed racing for a long time now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:44 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Partially explaining my point about Hamilton seeming unhappy but not excluding my point about his negativity being a draw back of having him as a driver.

Although both Hamilton's unhappiness and negative attitude have long predated this season. He doesn't seem to have enjoyed racing for a long time now.

This is a big stretch.

I just watched a replay of his Baku pole lap last season, and he was fistpumping the air right after he crossed the finish line. That doesn’t look like the behaviour of a man who’s not enjoying racing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:54 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I don't think I'd agree with him not being happy for a while. I think his happiness is directly related to his success: when he's wining and ahead, he's clearly on top of the world, but when he's behind, then it's equally clear that it affects his motivation and he looks downcast. But it's a fairly recent phenomena and I'd bet the house on that reversing once he finds his mojo again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:52 am 

Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I don't think I'd agree with him not being happy for a while. I think his happiness is directly related to his success: when he's wining and ahead, he's clearly on top of the world, but when he's behind, then it's equally clear that it affects his motivation and he looks downcast. But it's a fairly recent phenomena and I'd bet the house on that reversing once he finds his mojo again.

Indeed as his brother would say he just hates to lose and which top sportsmen don't?

Look at the Press Conference, Ricciardo in the middle cracking jokes whilst the two Finns either side looking like there had been a death in the family, neither of them wanted to be there because they didn't win.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:44 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Indeed as his brother would say he just hates to lose and which top sportsmen don't?

Look at the Press Conference, Ricciardo in the middle cracking jokes whilst the two Finns either side looking like there had been a death in the family, neither of them wanted to be there because they didn't win.

There is that saying, "You're only as good as your last (race/match/performance/whatever)", well particularly in Lewis' case I'd adjust it to say he's only as happy as his last race. Should he win on Sunday then he'll be back to positive, happy Lewis who'll probably be on team radio after the race praising the team for improving the car whilst pragmatically saying they still have more work to do. Another poor result and he'll be downcast and negative. Either way I wouldn't really read much into it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 am 

Cyril Abiteboul has said they're looking for alternatives incase Sainz goes to Red Bull next year:
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018/05/renault-putting-plans-in-place-for-possible-sainz-departure-in-2019/

I hope they approach Checo as he deserves 1 last shot.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Cyril Abiteboul has said they're looking for alternatives incase Sainz goes to Red Bull next year:
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018/05/renault-putting-plans-in-place-for-possible-sainz-departure-in-2019/

I hope they approach Checo as he deserves 1 last shot.

Unless McLaren get their act together, I'd put forward Fernando Alonso's name as the guy Renault target should Ricciardo trigger a Sainz/Red Bull recall. Fernando seems unlikely to end up at Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull, and if Renault continue to be the better team, I could see him taking that risk. I know there has been speculation he'll leave F1 after this year but really, to do what? He's already committed to the WEC through until June next year, has a decent shot at winning it, and two good chances of a Le Mans victory. And if he wanted to continue beyond the end of the super season then I'm sure McLaren/Renault would accommodate that desire if it helped them secure his services for 2019. So it's not like he has to leave F1 to do that. Would he want to do a full season in Indy? Or would simply being allowed to do the 500 be enough?

My point is, if McLaren can't deliver then find a way to engineer a move to Renault. Hell, I'm pretty sure if Fernando went to the Enstone team and told them he was available and willing, they'd either ditch Hulk or not extend Sainz's loan...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:07 pm 

Yeah I think if Enstone finish ahead of McLaren this year he'll end up there assuming Danny doesn't fancy a gamble himself.

I can see him doing a full Indy season at some point though but not for a couple of years yet. Assuming he can't get into a top 3 team I think he may go to IndyCsr for 2020.

Reason being you wouldn't want to miss a year in stable regulations when everyone else is experienced and comfortable in the cars and you're not if you come back and be rusty but with Liberty's big reset in 2021 and hopefully several teams that can offer the chance of competitive machinery, everyone will be in the same boat experience wise so he won't miss out as much by missing a year.

Basically I think if you're considering taking a year out to do IndyCar then 2020 is the best year to do it assuming you aren't in a competitive car and I think there's an outside chance he might do it.

(I can see him driving well onto his mid forties so age no consideration for me)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:05 am 

Just read somewhere that finally Force India has been sold to Rich Energy. Only the paperwork is remaining but the the deal is done. Rich Energy are investing a big amount into the team as they wish to compete with Red Bull, atleast on marketing terms. The team probably would be called Rich Energy Racing.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:36 am 

Vettel AGAIN is saying that he would like Raikkonen as his team mate for 2019. This is getting a little frustrating. Wonder if Vettel is afraid of getting a new team mate that might be stronger. Raikkonen if agrees to stay for 2019, has a lot of nerve playing 2nd fiddle to Vettel & getting victories snatched from him (Monaco 2017).

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-321052.html

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:15 am 

I think the seats Kimi's unless he decides to retire.

It's frustrating now how all teams seem so reluctant to change driving personnel.

The whole silly season is resting on that 2nd Ferrari drive. If they stick with Kimi I see very few changes in driver line ups again for 2019.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am 

They want Leclerc in the Ferrari and they'll think it's too early for him next season, so they'll keep Kimi for another one. I would be hugely surprised if Kimi wouldn't extend for another year.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:11 am 

Tbf on the basis of this year I couldnt argue too much with a decision to keep Kimi. If he can perform at his current level going into next year I think they would struggle to find a significant upgrade.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:58 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Tbf on the basis of this year I couldnt argue too much with a decision to keep Kimi. If he can perform at his current level going into next year I think they would struggle to find a significant upgrade.

ON MONACO TRACK WITH MY DAD IN OUR CHAMPIONSHIP CARS | A HISTORICAL DAY IN F1 I WILL NEVER FORGET - Nico Rosberg youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzMAQMJ8JTs

Go to 5:30... :-P

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:03 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Vettel AGAIN is saying that he would like Raikkonen as his team mate for 2019. This is getting a little frustrating. Wonder if Vettel is afraid of getting a new team mate that might be stronger. Raikkonen if agrees to stay for 2019, has a lot of nerve playing 2nd fiddle to Vettel & getting victories snatched from him (Monaco 2017).

Yes, he is afraid and insecure, it's obvious. He should work on that instead and trust his own ability, he would probably become a better racer with a more relaxed mindset.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:41 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Yes, he is afraid and insecure, it's obvious. He should work on that instead and trust his own ability, he would probably become a better racer with a more relaxed mindset.

Rubbish. It wasn't that long ago that Hamilton was saying that he likes having Bottas as a team mate. Does that mean he's scared, too?

Of course drivers like having a team mate who isn't as good as them. It means the tea m will likely focus more on them and increases their chances of wins and titles. But it's a huge leap to go from there to saying a driver must therefore be afraid of competition.

People see what they want to see. But it's not necessarily what's there

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:52 am 

Rubbish. Hamilton is the only driver on the grid who really doesn't care who his teammate is and who is the only driver who accepts any challenge going up against the best.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:54 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Rubbish. Hamilton is the only driver on the grid who really doesn't care who his teammate is and who is the only driver who accepts any challenge going up against the best.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:00 am 

Warheart01 wrote:

He hasn't gone up against an elite driver since Alonso, so I'd say there's very little evidence of this.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 am 

Don't forget Vettel and Kimi get on well personally as well. Vettel is hardly going to try and talk his mate out of a drive.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Don't forget Vettel and Kimi get on well personally as well. Vettel is hardly going to try and talk his mate out of a drive.
Exactly this, and pretty much what he said in the interview.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:12 am 

Exactly that huh Zoue? But when Hamilton get along well personally with Bottas it's because he prefers ''an easy'' teammate?
Also Hamilton doesn't demand to have a veto in his contract which Vettel is widely rumored to have.
Vettel ran away from RB when Ricciardo dominated him, I'm yet to see Hamilton running away for the same reason.

Edit: Also Hamilton has said on a number of occasions that he would welcome anyone and that he likes a challenge.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC