planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:03 pm 

When asked about it, Kimi apparently said ~

“You usually write what you decide yourself, whether it’s true or not,” ('he added with a smile' is in the article but I did not report that as it is just silly. no one would believe that).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:04 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
So Motorsport.com is reporting Ricciardo is close to signing an extension with Red Bull, that Mercedes will retain Bottas and Hamilton, Sainz will remain with Renault (possibly signing permanently) and the only change might be Leclerc replacing Raikkonen.

Pretty dull silly season, then!

You don't find the possibility of Leclerc going to Ferrari exciting?

What really is ironical that Leclerc no doubt would be thrilled but as the season / time went by, he ofcourse would get upto speed but would he be allowed o compete with Vettel? Out of all the top teams, Ferrari is the most tenacious when it comes to favouring their top / no. 1 driver!

Don't see any reason why Ferrari wouldn't support Leclerc fully if he proved himself capable enough.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:09 pm 

mds wrote:
For example, if Alonso decides to leave McLaren but doesn't want to finish his F1 career just yet, maybe he takes Sainz' seat at Renault and Sainz ends up back at Toro Rosso?

Both moves are highly unlikely imo. Renault have gone on record to say that they cannot yet give Alonso a car to compete for titles and they don't want a frustrated Alonso. Sainz has already stated he doesn't want to drive for STR anymore.

Quote:
If Alonso stays with McLaren, that probably leaves one of Vandoorne or Norris available, so do Red Bull try and sign whichever it is and place them with Toro Rosso?

Would suspect Red Bull to try that, they would at least try to go after Norris, but a third option would be for McLaren to try and get Norris in another team.

Re: Alonso, I think it depends what the source of the frustration is. If Renault say to him, “look, we would love to have you driving for us but you have to understand where we’re at and what we can realistically achieve,” and then let fernando decide if he’s okay with returning to Enstone with that expectation, but the hope they can be closer to the front... I don’t know, maybe he would take that risk? IMO part of the issue with McLaren is he went there with the expectation that Honda would get it right, if not in year one then for the third or fourth season. And that expectation was only increased when they seemed to be making progress in year two.

Even when they dumped Honda, they did so because they it was Honda who were preventing them from taking advantage of the supposedly brilliant chassis they had. You could argue they’ve created their own problems by failing to control expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:18 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Honestly, if Mclaren are really serious about returning to the top step of the podium at some point, their top brass need to finally face reality. They need to acknowledge where they are and start making the appropriate decisions to change their position with a long-term mentality and focus.

For starters, they and not Fernando, should initiate a split with the 2-time WDC. Are they going to find a better driver to replace him? Of course not. Any driver that's anywhere near his league is already on a much better team than Mclaren. That doesn't matter though. What matters is that the charade stop and that people start to face reality. Instead of this never-ending story about when will Alonso have a car worthy of his talents, they need to move towards simply focusing on improving as a team and as a package. Paying him what they pay him is just folly when the car is too slow for him to make much of a difference. It's a waste of money. Again, nothing to do with his driving (which has been top-notch). It's just that it only makes sense to pay top dollar for an elite driver when you have the car to actually contend for something.

They should also part ways with Eric and Zack ASAP. Not sure how much of a dumpster fire needs to occur for someone to face a consequence but this organization has basically sat on its hands while their standing in F1 has evaporated. The team needs a MAJOR shakeup. They need new leadership and a new direction. THIS IS A FAILED ERA.

The plight of F1 is there to see! McLaren & Williams struggling & Force India in a financial crisis. McLaren doesn't have financial issues but seem to be lacking in the management area. Force India on the other hand, have a good team but can't bring updates due to financial issues.

The drivers in these 3 teams should be worried. I'm close to being sure that Ericsson will not be there in 2019. Hartley is on the edge because Gasly is so good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:25 pm 

Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
So Motorsport.com is reporting Ricciardo is close to signing an extension with Red Bull, that Mercedes will retain Bottas and Hamilton, Sainz will remain with Renault (possibly signing permanently) and the only change might be Leclerc replacing Raikkonen.

What really is ironical that Leclerc no doubt would be thrilled but as the season / time went by, he ofcourse would get upto speed but would he be allowed o compete with Vettel? Out of all the top teams, Ferrari is the most tenacious when it comes to favouring their top / no. 1 driver!

Don't see any reason why Ferrari wouldn't support Leclerc fully if he proved himself capable enough.

They will 1 day for sure but with Vettel in the other seat, would Vettel be given more importance? I fully expect Leclerc to get upto speed in the Ferrari. If he's able to score points in a Sauber, Ferrari will outline his true potential.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:51 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:

They will 1 day for sure but with Vettel in the other seat, would Vettel be given more importance? I fully expect Leclerc to get upto speed in the Ferrari. If he's able to score points in a Sauber, Ferrari will outline his true potential.

Which team would not give at least initially more importance to the experienced WDC who's been at the team for years? And why wouldn't they? That doesn't mean both don't have the same opportunities.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:13 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Honestly, if Mclaren are really serious about returning to the top step of the podium at some point, their top brass need to finally face reality. They need to acknowledge where they are and start making the appropriate decisions to change their position with a long-term mentality and focus.

For starters, they and not Fernando, should initiate a split with the 2-time WDC. Are they going to find a better driver to replace him? Of course not. Any driver that's anywhere near his league is already on a much better team than Mclaren. That doesn't matter though. What matters is that the charade stop and that people start to face reality. Instead of this never-ending story about when will Alonso have a car worthy of his talents, they need to move towards simply focusing on improving as a team and as a package. Paying him what they pay him is just folly when the car is too slow for him to make much of a difference. It's a waste of money. Again, nothing to do with his driving (which has been top-notch). It's just that it only makes sense to pay top dollar for an elite driver when you have the car to actually contend for something.

They should also part ways with Eric and Zack ASAP. Not sure how much of a dumpster fire needs to occur for someone to face a consequence but this organization has basically sat on its hands while their standing in F1 has evaporated. The team needs a MAJOR shakeup. They need new leadership and a new direction. THIS IS A FAILED ERA.

The plight of F1 is there to see! McLaren & Williams struggling & Force India in a financial crisis. McLaren doesn't have financial issues but seem to be lacking in the management area. Force India on the other hand, have a good team but can't bring updates due to financial issues.

The drivers in these 3 teams should be worried. I'm close to being sure that Ericsson will not be there in 2019. Hartley is on the edge because Gasly is so good.

Whatever F1's game plan is for 2021, it should focus on getting more teams into the series. Half of the grid are teams hanging on by their finger nails in one way or another. There needs to be a push to get back to having 12-14 teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:10 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well the fascination would be to see how Leclerc measures up to Vettel, I see your point about possible favouritism though I guess when it comes to race strategy?

Anything has to be better than another season of Vettel and Kimi though?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:12 am 

I've been trying to think of ways this silly season could still actually be interesting. Most of them seem to revolve around Alonso and Sainz. For example, if Alonso decides to leave McLaren but doesn't want to finish his F1 career just yet, maybe he takes Sainz' seat at Renault and Sainz ends up back at Toro Rosso? If Alonso stays with McLaren, that probably leaves one of Vandoorne or Norris available, so do Red Bull try and sign whichever it is and place them with Toro Rosso?

That's something that I've mooted Vandoorne to STR and of course they've already tried to sign Norris.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:32 am 

sandman1347 wrote:

It happens in all sports really. When it clearly doesn't work, you take a step back, reevaluate, blow everything up and start over. Been saying this for weeks. Mclaren has to take that route. Alonso doesn't make sense for them anymore and they don't make sense for him anymore. I would keep Vandoorne for at least one more year and partner him with Norris. Bouiller and Prodromu need to go the way of Tim Goss. I don't know why they are still there. Now, don't ask me who I would replace them with. But no, it really needs to happen asap if they want to save that sinking ship.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:05 am 

kleefton wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

It happens in all sports really. When it clearly doesn't work, you take a step back, reevaluate, blow everything up and start over. Been saying this for weeks. Mclaren has to take that route. Alonso doesn't make sense for them anymore and they don't make sense for him anymore. I would keep Vandoorne for at least one more year and partner him with Norris. Bouiller and Prodromu need to go the way of Tim Goss. I don't know why they are still there. Now, don't ask me who I would replace them with. But no, it really needs to happen asap if they want to save that sinking ship.

I agree. They need to forget about 2019,2020 and build towards 2021. Their most crucial job now is trying to find a new engine partner and find them fast because they need to start developing for 2021 as soon as possible. If they haven't got a works deal by then, then I'm afraid they will have gone the same way as Williams.

With that in mind I agree it makes some sense to just run Norris and Vandoorne who will keep there heads down and crack on with the job in hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:52 pm 

I'm reading reports that Leclerc has already been signed by Ferrari or is quite close to being signed. The contract is / would be of 2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:17 pm 

Does anyone feel like Kimi is uncharacteristically happy/bubbly/charismatic this weekend? I saw a big old smile on his face in the drivers conference the size of which I've never seen on him before. Wonder if he has some good news in the pocket and what that might be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:07 pm 

veffy wrote:
Does anyone feel like Kimi is uncharacteristically happy/bubbly/charismatic this weekend? I saw a big old smile on his face in the drivers conference the size of which I've never seen on him before. Wonder if he has some good news in the pocket and what that might be.

Maybe he's heard this rumour - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/saub ... e-1053320/ - and cannot help but laugh at the idea he would race for Sauber. He'd be in his shorts, eating ice cream and enjoying an early retirement before Arrivabene had even finished telling him they were going to send him to Sauber...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:24 pm 

Reading reports that the Leclerc to Ferrari contract has been signed for two years. 2 million first season, 3 million second one. Will be announced in Monza.

No real trustworthy sources so far though, but the rumors are gaining momentum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:31 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
Reading reports that the Leclerc to Ferrari contract has been signed for two years. 2 million first season, 3 million second one. Will be announced in Monza.

No real trustworthy sources so far though, but the rumors are gaining momentum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44660670

If the Beeb are going in on the rumour, it probably has something to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:14 pm 

Pure speculation, but does anyone think Ferrari could take advantage of their connections and go;
Leclerc > Ferrari
Kimi > Haas
Grosjean > Sauber

This would keep Kimi in the fold, and be a big name driver for Haas. I don’t get the feeling Grosjean is happy there, so he moves to Sauber, who’s on the up, and stays in the Ferrari stable

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:22 pm 

Grosjean is perfectly happy at Haas and they seem to still be okay with him. It would take some one Kimi level to want to go there and them feeling that they are ready to push to the front of the field for them to want to push Romain out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:46 pm 

The Leclerc to Ferrari rumors really seem to be gaining traction. Odds are probably pretty good that it will happen at this point. It creates an intriguing new landscape in F1, with Charles suddenly finding himself in a top team. Definitely a twist for Max too as there might possibly be a driver just as young as him up front to fight with. It will be interesting if Leclerc ends up with the better car and becomes the first of them to really have a title shot. Somehow I doubt Max will take that smoothly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:28 pm 
sandman1347 wrote:
The Leclerc to Ferrari rumors really seem to be gaining traction. Odds are probably pretty good that it will happen at this point. It creates an intriguing new landscape in F1, with Charles suddenly finding himself in a top team. Definitely a twist for Max too as there might possibly be a driver just as young as him up front to fight with. It will be interesting if Leclerc ends up with the better car and becomes the first of them to really have a title shot. Somehow I doubt Max will take that smoothly.

Would definitely be interesting and a change from Ferrari's usual driver choices so I'd be surprised, but the likelihood does seem to be increasing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:31 pm 

bradtheboywonder wrote:
Pure speculation, but does anyone think Ferrari could take advantage of their connections and go;
Leclerc > Ferrari
Kimi > Haas
Grosjean > Sauber

This would keep Kimi in the fold, and be a big name driver for Haas. I don’t get the feeling Grosjean is happy there, so he moves to Sauber, who’s on the up, and stays in the Ferrari stable

Ferrari are not interested in Grosjean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:58 am 

Gasly confirmed for Toro Rosso 2019. Hartley will complete this season. No word about 2019. Means Sainz is still the guy who will replace Ricciardo should he go somewhere else.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:52 am 

Llotyhy wrote:
Gasly confirmed for Toro Rosso 2019. Hartley will complete this season. No word about 2019. Means Sainz is still the guy who will replace Ricciardo should he go somewhere else.

Source?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:22 am 

Sorry, forgot. Dutch motorsport.com. Not sure if it's anywhere else.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:34 am 

If Ticktum can scrape enough licence points together I would expect to seem him in the STR in 2019. The driver I worry for is Russell. If he wins F2 this season where does he go?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:43 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
If Ticktum can scrape enough licence points together I would expect to seem him in the STR in 2019. The driver I worry for is Russell. If he wins F2 this season where does he go?

This is a good point. Possibly a year in another series (no idea which) and then into FI for 2020? I'd assume that either Ocon would move up to Merc for 2020 or Perez would leave for somewhere else possibly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:52 am 

JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

This is a good point. Possibly a year in another series (no idea which) and then into FI for 2020? I'd assume that either Ocon would move up to Merc for 2020 or Perez would leave for somewhere else possibly.

I think it's possible that Mclaren might go in for Ocon if they don't fancy Vandoorne. Hamilton looks like signing on and Bottas is currently not looking easy to drop. It's tempting for both parties. Ocon is young enough he could look towards 2021.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:57 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I think it's possible that Mclaren might go in for Ocon if they don't fancy Vandoorne. Hamilton looks like signing on and Bottas is currently not looking easy to drop. It's tempting for both parties. Ocon is young enough he could look towards 2021.

Yeah that could definitely work

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 am 

I doubt Mercedes will let Ocon go to be honest. He's their Verstappen/Leclerc. I can see McLaren trying for Perez again though, if it doesn't work out with Ricciardo... which would free up the spot for Russell at Force India.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:10 am 

Llotyhy wrote:
I doubt Mercedes will let Ocon go to be honest. He's their Verstappen/Leclerc. I can see McLaren trying for Perez again though, if it doesn't work out with Ricciardo... which would free up the spot for Russell at Force India.

They could loan him out like Sainz to Renault for a year (or two if needed). Would be interesting seeing Russell and Ocon up against each other as they are both Mercedes drivers.

Post subject: Leclerc to Ferrari
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:22 pm 

Channel 4 (UK) have confirmed that Leclerc has signed a 2 year deal with Ferrari starting in 2019.

Seems like it could be Leclerc to Ferrari and Kimi to Mclaren. Alonso probably out of F1 judging by his comments to Cadena Cope radio.

Post subject: Re: Leclerc to Ferrari
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:29 pm 

Did they also confirm Kimi then?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:33 pm 

No confirmation on where Kimi is going. Mclaren is only my guess (he was asked about them in the Thursday press conference and his reaction seemed to suggest that he has been talking to them).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:45 pm 

The beeb reported similar yesterday.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44660670

So you'd reckon Raikonnen to Macca, Alonso to Indy, Ricciardo stays at RB.

Who next at Sauber then?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 357 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:51 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:

Who next at Sauber then?

Rossi?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:56 pm 

Not that I'd mind Kimi to McLaren and I do see some advantages for McLaren themselves, but I don't see him wanting to do it. He's always said he's only interested in a front running car

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:58 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Not that I'd mind Kimi to McLaren and I do see some advantages for McLaren themselves, but I don't see him wanting to do it. He's always said he's only interested in a front running car

Hope he doesn't take it as it would be a waste of a seat IMO. Would rather see a young driver take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:03 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Hope he doesn't take it as it would be a waste of a seat IMO. Would rather see a young driver take it.

The point of him taking it would be for his technical feedback, which it looks like McLaren sorely need at the moment. Would be a good benchmark for the 2nd driver, too. Having 2 junior drivers might not be what McLaren need right now and it might also not be the best for the drivers themselves

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:03 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Who next at Sauber then?

Rossi?

Giovinazzi, obviously.

But I don't think Kimi goes to McLaren. He's previously said once he leaves Ferrari he's done with F1, and I doubt he has the interest in continuing in F1 with a team that isn't at the front of the grid. If Alonso leaves then it'll be Norris replacing him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:05 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I don't think Macca can afford 2 youngish drivers in the team. Doing that they run the risk of heading down the same road as Williams.

They need an established, driver to encourage sponsorship & to keep them in the news for at least something positive.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 357 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)