All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Leclerc to Ferrari
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:06 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Not that I'd mind Kimi to McLaren and I do see some advantages for McLaren themselves, but I don't see him wanting to do it. He's always said he's only interested in a front running car

Hope he doesn't take it as it would be a waste of a seat IMO. Would rather see a young driver take it.

I don't think Macca can afford 2 youngish drivers in the team. Doing that they run the risk of heading down the same road as Williams.

They need an established, driver to encourage sponsorship & to keep them in the news for at least something positive.

:thumbup:

Not that I think Kimi will do it, mind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:10 pm 

Yeah I guess you are both right on needing someone with experience. Should they not chase someone like Perez instead then? There's been a few stories they've offered Ricciardo a lot of money to join them who would fit the bill but that's not going to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:11 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Not that I'd mind Kimi to McLaren and I do see some advantages for McLaren themselves, but I don't see him wanting to do it. He's always said he's only interested in a front running car

Hope he doesn't take it as it would be a waste of a seat IMO. Would rather see a young driver take it.

I don't think Macca can afford 2 youngish drivers in the team. Doing that they run the risk of heading down the same road as Williams.

They need an established, driver to encourage sponsorship & to keep them in the news for at least something positive.
Massa to un-retire again!
(yes, I know, he's off to Formula E...)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:15 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Yeah I guess you are both right on needing someone with experience. Should they not chase someone like Perez instead then? There's been a few stories they've offered Ricciardo a lot of money to join them who would fit the bill but that's not going to happen.

It depends whether he's seen as someone who gives good technical feedback (I have no idea!). If so, then yes why not? I remember reading a report recently where Ferrari praised Kimi for that aspect and I know that McLaren always held him in high regard on that score. That's the only thing that gives the rumour any credibility for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:25 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
The beeb reported similar yesterday.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44660670

So you'd reckon Raikonnen to Macca, Alonso to Indy, Ricciardo stays at RB.

Who next at Sauber then?

"has agreed, but not signed"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:27 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Who next at Sauber then?

"has agreed, but not signed"

Hence the use of the word "similar"

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 357 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:28 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I dont want it to happen because it would be a waste of Kimi. He will enjoy eating his Magnums in the paddock more than driving for McLaren. Same wish, just different reasons. McLaren is hopeless.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:34 pm 

This Leclerc 2yr contract is absolute nonsense, it's just the way F1 journalist just speculate rubbish and people lap it up.

Leclerc is already under Ferrari contractually so it's just about moving him up nothing more so it started from him replacing Kimi after the break now its he's signed a 2 year deal with Ferrari.

It's like saying Gasly has signed a 2yr contract at Redbull if Ricciardo leaves.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:45 pm 

Rockie wrote:
This Leclerc 2yr contract is absolute nonsense, it's just the way F1 journalist just speculate rubbish and people lap it up.

Leclerc is already under Ferrari contractually so it's just about moving him up nothing more so it started from him replacing Kimi after the break now its he's signed a 2 year deal with Ferrari.

It's like saying Gasly has signed a 2yr contract at Redbull if Ricciardo leaves.

Ferrari academy contracts are very different to the driver contract for main team. In fact its the same with all teams that have young driver / academy programs. The team gets the dibs but they need to draft new contract to move that driver to the main team for full time drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:50 pm 

Rockie wrote:

Yea i don't believe this. 5 races of beating Ericsson in a Sauber that is improving is really enough to show he would instantly do a better job than Kimi. I just don't see this being confirmed this soon. Guess I could be wrong. But confirmation on TV is a bit too unreliable to trust compared to official sports sites. I think the earliest he will possibly be at Ferrari is 2020. I think Ferrari would want him as Hass first to see how he progresses. At this stage, there are loads of advantages to Kimi over Leclerc. Experience is far better and feedback certainly will be too. These speculations seem out of control as I hear it everywhere but nothing has seemed official yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:54 pm 

Me personally feel it's a bit early for Leclerc to Ferrari (lack of experience) however they say if he's good enough then he's old enough. It's an interesting situation as Ferrari could put Charles in the car for testing in Hungary after the GP, At the same test Sauber could put either Antonio Giovinazzi and or Danni Kvyat in the car. I can see this happening for next year unless George Russell wins the F2 title then maybe Mercedes would pay for him to be there next year, the drivers I've mentioned would all be good replacements for Sauber if Leclerc does move over to Ferrari. We will need to get official announcement from Ferrari that this will happen and I still think either way he will test for them in Hungary (after the race)

Also if it's decided that Leclerc needs another season at Sauber then I also expect Ferrari to work close with Sauber and helping them produce and build a competitive car, if this happens will they wanna keep Kimi?

Interesting times.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:11 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Yea i don't believe this. 5 races of beating Ericsson in a Sauber that is improving is really enough to show he would instantly do a better job than Kimi. I just don't see this being confirmed this soon. Guess I could be wrong. But confirmation on TV is a bit too unreliable to trust compared to official sports sites. I think the earliest he will possibly be at Ferrari is 2020. I think Ferrari would want him as Hass first to see how he progresses. At this stage, there are loads of advantages to Kimi over Leclerc. Experience is far better and feedback certainly will be too. These speculations seem out of control as I hear it everywhere but nothing has seemed official yet.

The media is trying to push for this move. I definitely agree there are some downsides to it. And if Leclerc turns out to be faster than Vettel then you’ve just created a toxic team environment, because under no circumstances would Vettel agree to play second fiddle to Leclerc. Also Leclerc still makes too many mistakes to be on a top team imo. We shall see but I will be very surprised if it happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:27 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:

Who next at Sauber then?

Giovinazzi.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:31 pm 

Rockie wrote:

Not exactly if the contract involves an increase in salary.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:47 pm 

kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Rockie wrote:

The media is trying to push for this move. I definitely agree there are some downsides to it. And if Leclerc turns out to be faster than Vettel then you’ve just created a toxic team environment, because under no circumstances would Vettel agree to play second fiddle to Leclerc. Also Leclerc still makes too many mistakes to be on a top team imo. We shall see but I will be very surprised if it happens.

If Leclerc is as fast as his press, he could wind up pushing Vettel and we could get another 2007 Alonso-Hamilton feud again. We know from the Vettel-Webber feud that Seb doesn't do like to have pressure from his team partner.

If true this would seem to significantly limit Riccairdo's options for next year. Niki Lauda indicated this weekend that Lewis and Valtteri would both be back at Merc next year. So the only worthwhile choices for Daniel is RBR or MacLaren. ...and MacL is not that worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:52 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Rockie wrote:

If Leclerc is as fast as his press, he could wind up pushing Vettel and we could get another 2007 Alonso-Hamilton feud again. We know from the Vettel-Webber feud that Seb doesn't do like to have pressure from his team partner.

which doesn't explain the complete lack of fireworks with Ricciardo, of course.

Webber never gave much pressure, of course

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:01 pm 

That's the question isn't it? How will this kid measure up to Sebastian Vettel in the same car? He will be thrown into the deep end here won't he? It's definitely the most intense situation for a driver that young since Hamilton and Vettel came up. He'll be right in the middle of the title battle but will he be as quick or (dare I say) quicker than Vettel? My money says not right away. I expect Seb will have him covered for the most part initially but I can see that changing as time moves on. I suspect that by the second half of the season, Leclerc will be right on Vettel's level of performance and by 2020...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:47 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Rockie wrote:

If Leclerc is as fast as his press, he could wind up pushing Vettel and we could get another 2007 Alonso-Hamilton feud again. We know from the Vettel-Webber feud that Seb doesn't like to have pressure from his team partner.

I can't say why other than Daniel's personality, he and Sebastian never fell into acrimony even when Daniel beat Seb his last year at RBR. Could be that Seb's attention was already on leaving RBR.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:51 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

If Leclerc is as fast as his press, he could wind up pushing Vettel and we could get another 2007 Alonso-Hamilton feud again. We know from the Vettel-Webber feud that Seb doesn't like to have pressure from his team partner.

I can't say why other than Daniel's personality, he and Sebastian never fell into acrimony even when Daniel beat Seb his last year at RBR. Could be that Seb's attention was already on leaving RBR.

Point is the relationship between Webber and Vettel wasn't down to pressure. Webber had a prickly character himself. There's no reason to believe there would be a replay with e.g. Leclerc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:56 pm 

Zoue wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

The point of him taking it would be for his technical feedback, which it looks like McLaren sorely need at the moment. Would be a good benchmark for the 2nd driver, too. Having 2 junior drivers might not be what McLaren need right now and it might also not be the best for the drivers themselves

Radio
(engineer) ..Hows the car Kimi.

(Kimi) ... Fine.

(engineer)... Is there anything wrong with it?

(Kimi).. Its not fast...

(Engineer) like what?

(Kimi)..................Leave me alone..

:]

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:00 pm 

Merged “leclerc to Ferrari” with the silly season thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:09 pm 

Marca are saying Alonso will continue in F1 at either McLaren or Renault.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:14 pm 

Covalent wrote:

I'd be surprised but maybe he feels he can be competitive in Indy at an older age than he can F1? I think I'd still go next year and keep tabs on McLaren or Renault for 2020 but I'm not going to moan if he stays in F1.

He probably will though. Ba dum Tssh!! (Though I'd get in there first 8) )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:18 pm 

Wonder where that leave Sainz/Hulk then... could one of them swap places with Alonso at McLaren?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:25 pm 

Covalent wrote:

Yeah I've heard that, Renault are a team on the up and are a works team, Alonso also won both his titles with Renault, I think they are best placed to be the 4th best team in F1, I think I would go with Renault more than McLaren although he would have to kiss his other adventures goodbye for the time being.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:26 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Wonder where that leave Sainz/Hulk then... could one of them swap places with Alonso at McLaren?

Horner joked about sending him to McLaren if Cyril didn't behave,lol. So maybe there's something brewing in the background but it'll be Hulk that's kept if Alonso goes, can't see them fielding two Spanish drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:28 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Yeah I've heard that, Renault are a team on the up and are a works team, Alonso also won both his titles with Renault, I think they are best placed to be the 4th best team in F1, I think I would go with Renault more than McLaren although he would have to kiss his other adventures goodbye for the time being.

He can't as far as WEC's concerned, he signed on for the "Super Season" which runs until after next years Lemans so that could put Renault off.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:38 pm 

Why would Renault hire Alonso exactly? They have said on multiple occasions they're happy with their current drivers and want to keep them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:47 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
Why would Renault hire Alonso exactly? They have said on multiple occasions they're happy with their current drivers and want to keep them.

Teams say all sorts. They'll weigh up whether they can be competitive enough to keep him happy and if they think they can with him in the car then of course they'll consider it, he's still one of the best on the grid and they want to win championships.

Personally I think it's a year too early but they've got a bee in their bonnet about being dropped by Red Bull and if they think Alonso can get them closer to RB than their current line up can they'll consider it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:03 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Teams say all sorts. They'll weigh up whether they can be competitive enough to keep him happy and if they think they can with him in the car then of course they'll consider it, he's still one of the best on the grid and they want to win championships.

Personally I think it's a year too early but they've got a bee in their bonnet about being dropped by Red Bull and if they think Alonso can get them closer to RB than their current line up can they'll consider it.

We'll see. I really doubt it. I don't think Alonso has much of a chance of landing a seat anywhere but McLaren. He comes with a big salary requirement and all sorts of things he wants to do outside of F1.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 pm 

I still lean towards Indy myself and he's got that WEC commitment so I wouldn't be putting any money on it myself to be fair but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Renault again.

3rd time lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:15 pm 

With the way George Russell is driving in F2 recently, he could very easily end up beating Norris to the title and actually doing McLaren a bit of a favour. If Norris doesn't win the F2 title and they somehow convince Alonso to stay, they could just leave Lando in F2 for another year and retain Vandoorne. The irony of that is it would be Mercedes who suddenly have the big problem of trying to find a seat for George Russell when there isn't really an obvious option...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:39 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
I doubt Mercedes will let Ocon go to be honest. He's their Verstappen/Leclerc. I can see McLaren trying for Perez again though, if it doesn't work out with Ricciardo... which would free up the spot for Russell at Force India.

I can see Merc loaning Ocon to Mclaren allowing them to place Russell at FI.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:30 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
I doubt Mercedes will let Ocon go to be honest. He's their Verstappen/Leclerc. I can see McLaren trying for Perez again though, if it doesn't work out with Ricciardo... which would free up the spot for Russell at Force India.

Why does McLaren want Ocon?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:14 am 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Why does McLaren want Ocon?

I said if they don't rate Vandoorne. I think he'd be one of the best drivers available that wouldn't put them under a spotlight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 am 

If McLaren are keeping Alonso they need someone strong-willed beside him, as it is the car is heavily designed to suit Alonso's driving style which no other driver can cope with. Lewis was strong enough to have non of it, Vandoorne is not.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:19 am 

Covalent wrote:
If McLaren are keeping Alonso they need someone strong-willed beside him, as it is the car is heavily designed to suit Alonso's driving style which no other driver can cope with. Lewis was strong enough to have non of it, Vandoorne is not.

Or find someone with a driving style similar to Alonso's.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:39 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

He can't as far as WEC's concerned, he signed on for the "Super Season" which runs until after next years Lemans so that could put Renault off.

That being the case the his only choice seems to be McLaren then?

However I wouldn't hang on to things that Alonso says, I think he likes to be in the news, just when it's looking like he's going to Indycar he puts it out there that he's staying in F1 to keep people second guessing him.

In respect to F1 he says there are seats still available at Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull as if he himself might be in contention for them even though most people know that's not the case and then factor in like you say his commitment to Toyota next year which no top team would countenance anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:43 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

That being the case the his only choice seems to be McLaren then?

However I wouldn't hang on to things that Alonso says, I think he likes to be in the news, just when it's looking like he's going to Indycar he puts it out there that he's staying in F1 to keep people second guessing him.

In respect to F1 he says there are seats still available at Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull as if he himself might be in contention for them even though most people know that's not the case and then factor in like you say his commitment to Toyota next year which no top team would countenance anyway.

As I've said on a few occasions, I don't think anyone wants to have Alonso on their team, apart from McLaren (maybe). To me it sounds like the usual Alonso nonsense where he wants to give the impression that he is the one deciding what he wants to do with his career and keeping his options open, while in reality he has none.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:54 am 

Interesting.

Sky just reporting that if Ricciardo leaves, RB will bring in Gasly, not Sainz.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 357 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)