Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:00 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Mark Hughes has thrown a few cats among the pigeons, suggesting that:

- Raikkonen will be replaced by Leclerc, but that Kimi does want to continue and is getting Ferrari to help him secure a seat at Sauber
- Stroll would move to Force India with Robert Kubica (supposedly at Stroll's request) partnering him at FI
- That would happen because Ocon has a deal in place to join Renault, freeing up one of the seats, and resulting in...
- Sainz would then move to McLaren, partnering Fernando Alonso and leaving Vandoorne to go to Toro Rosso
- The other FI driver, Sergio Perez, would have his choice of Sauber or Haas. Mark Hughes hasn't specified if a move to Sauber would be to partner Kimi, or instead of Kimi, or not an option if Kimi ends up there, but did say that he would replace Grosjean at Haas if he went there

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... y-go-round

I'd take it all with a large pinch of salt, but I suppose if Stroll were to move to FI, it could set off a chain reaction.

I really don't understand the FI and Stroll thing. I know FI supposedly have money issues but surely there's another way.

FI are better off if they let Mercedes buy the team. The entire staff would be in safe hands & there would be no loss of jobs due to increase in finances & infrastructure. FI have never gone for a pay driver. They've ofcourse gone for drivers with some good sponsorship when it comes to development or third driver.

Checo's contract gets over this year & i seems very likely he'll jump ship (Haas most likely). Ocon has a 3 year contract with FI which gets over at the end of 2019.

Yeah I agree they'd be best to let Merc buy the team. Why would Perez jump ship, unless his contract isn't renewed?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:07 pm 

JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:

- Raikkonen will be replaced by Leclerc, but that Kimi does want to continue and is getting Ferrari to help him secure a seat at Sauber
- Stroll would move to Force India with Robert Kubica (supposedly at Stroll's request) partnering him at FI
- That would happen because Ocon has a deal in place to join Renault, freeing up one of the seats, and resulting in...
- Sainz would then move to McLaren, partnering Fernando Alonso and leaving Vandoorne to go to Toro Rosso
- The other FI driver, Sergio Perez, would have his choice of Sauber or Haas. Mark Hughes hasn't specified if a move to Sauber would be to partner Kimi, or instead of Kimi, or not an option if Kimi ends up there, but did say that he would replace Grosjean at Haas if he went there

I'd take it all with a large pinch of salt, but I suppose if Stroll were to move to FI, it could set off a chain reaction.

I really don't understand the FI and Stroll thing. I know FI supposedly have money issues but surely there's another way.

FI are better off if they let Mercedes buy the team. The entire staff would be in safe hands & there would be no loss of jobs due to increase in finances & infrastructure. FI have never gone for a pay driver. They've ofcourse gone for drivers with some good sponsorship when it comes to development or third driver.

Checo's contract gets over this year & i seems very likely he'll jump ship (Haas most likely). Ocon has a 3 year contract with FI which gets over at the end of 2019.

Yeah I agree they'd be best to let Merc buy the team. Why would Perez jump ship, unless his contract isn't renewed?

He's not as young as Ocon to keep forever waiting. No way Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull will offer him a drive. He had a chance with Renault but declined. Haas & Sauber have better cars than FI. He may need to move laterally. Unless he knows more than us about a possible team buy-out with an increased financial input into the team that could propel him higher on the grid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 pm 

As cool as I think all those changes would be the Vandoorne to Toro Rosso bit just sounds ridiculous.

Sounds like someone got wind of a couple of legitimate rumours and shuffled the rest of the grid around to suit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:24 pm 

Basically all the rumours I've heard tied into one article and then some.

I thought that Force India would end up as the Mercedes junior team but if the Strolls are being involved that's not going to happen, in this scenario Russell to Williams is entirely feasible.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 pm 

JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:

I could easily see Perez going to Haas to replace Grosjean.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:29 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

As cool as I think all those changes would be the Vandoorne to Toro Rosso bit just sounds ridiculous.

Sounds like someone got wind of a couple of legitimate rumours and shuffled the rest of the grid around to suit.

Red Bull have no junior drivers with the required amount of F1 super license points, I could quite easily see the likes of Vandoorne, Norris or Albon replacing Hartley.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:41 pm 

JN23 wrote:

Yeah I agree they'd be best to let Merc buy the team.

Maybe best for Merc & FI but not good for the overall health of the sport.

Just the next step in the march towards a triangular oligopoly.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:56 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Yeah I agree they'd be best to let Merc buy the team.

Maybe best for Merc & FI but not good for the overall health of the sport.

Just the next step in the march towards a triangular oligopoly.

Yeah but FI needs a new owner. I doubt FI can enter in 2019 as FI themselves. I expect this team to be bought over by start of next season. Might as well Mercedes buys it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:57 pm 

Grid 2019:

Mercedes - Hamilton/Bottas
Ferrari - Vettel/Raikkonen
Red Bull - Ricciardo/Verstappen

Renault - Ocon/Hulkenberg
Haas -Leclerc/Perez
Force India - Stroll/Kubica
Toro Rosso - ???/???
Sauber - Ericsson/???
McLaren - Alonso/Sainz
Williams - Siroken/??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:52 pm 

Sutton wrote:
Grid 2019:

Mercedes - Hamilton/Bottas
Ferrari - Vettel/Raikkonen
Red Bull - Ricciardo/Verstappen

Haas -Leclerc/Perez
Force India - Stroll/Kubica
Toro Rosso - ???/???
Sauber - Ericsson/???
McLaren - Alonso/Sainz
Williams - Siroken/??

I really hope that Ferrari takes on Leclerc and finally drops Räikkönen. If not, Leclerc will probably continue with Sauber, partnered either by Ericsson (owner-backed) or Giovinazzi (Ferrari-backed). Haas really have no reason to drop Magnussen so far this season. Perez replacing Grosjean? Possible, especially if FI falls into the hands of the Strolls as rumoured (with Kubica as an not-dangerous No. 2 to the boy? Really? - Unfortunately, not impossible).
McLaren will have Norris in the car, either in 19 or in 20, IMO. If not in 19, I guess they keep Vandoorne for another year. If Alonso retires, they willl probaly look for a new number one, depending on who is available.
Red Bull obviously wants Ticktum in at STR (probably partnering Gasly) and already lobbies because of the licence points.
Williams could be a nice place for all the potential leftovers (Perez, Grosjean, Vandoorne, maybe even Sainz or Ocon) or young talent (Russell), if the Stroll-FI rumour is true. Butt probably it will be all about money? Sirotkin did nothing to justify his seat but maybe he is rich enough? Who else comes with money from the feeders?

Some real good drivers may be left in the cold if Stroll-FI kicks off a big shuffle.

What I find very disappointing is that - again - no new team is knocking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:07 pm 

I think this should go in here, they look blooming ridiculous!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15141
https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/20/for ... eels-2021/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:37 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Red Bull have no junior drivers with the required amount of F1 super license points, I could quite easily see the likes of Vandoorne, Norris or Albon replacing Hartley.

Didn't McLaren already tell Toro Rosso they can't have Norris?

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:05 am 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Their option on Norris runs out September/October this year whilst Alonso apparently is campaigning to have his fellow Spaniard Sainz as his teammate.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:27 am 

So Crofty just saying in his chat with Cyril Abiteboul that Hamilton said he'd had an offer from another team. Cyril denied it was Renault so I wonder what team could be accused of wishful thinking here ?

Macca perhaps?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:33 am 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Their option on Norris runs out September/October this year whilst Alonso apparently is campaigning to have his fellow Spaniard Sainz as his teammate.

Even Karun Chandhok was saying Sainz may not be retained at Renault (he'll go to McLaren) & Ocon will come onboard at Renault.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Even Karun Chandhok was saying Sainz may not be retained at Renault (he'll go to McLaren) & Ocon will come onboard at Renault.

Indeed Renault are after Ocon who is looking faster than Perez, Perez who was able to out point the Hulk who is beating Sainz, and then of course Ocon is French, and then supposedly Ocon was promised the Merc drive if he could beat Perez but then they have resigned Bottas, Sainz out of a drive and not wanting to go back to STR gets helped out by the McLaren team principle Alonso, it all makes logical sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:51 am 

I thought Alonso and Sainz do not get along with each other too well, no?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:04 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

The opposite would be truer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:15 am 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Indeed Renault are after Ocon who is looking faster than Perez, Perez who was able to out point the Hulk who is beating Sainz, and then of course Ocon is French, and then supposedly Ocon was promised the Merc drive if he could beat Perez but then they have resigned Bottas, Sainz out of a drive and not wanting to go back to STR gets helped out by the McLaren team principle Alonso, it all makes logical sense.

Considering the fact that Ocon has a contract with FI for next year as well, I wonder if Mercedes are loaning Ocon to Renault for 1 year?

If Ocon does leave, I hope Russell, Kubica or any good driver joins but not Stroll.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:17 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Infact, You'll always see Alonso sticking with Sainz during the driver's parade.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:29 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Considering the fact that Ocon has a contract with FI for next year as well, I wonder if Mercedes are loaning Ocon to Renault for 1 year?

If Ocon does leave, I hope Russell, Kubica or any good driver joins but not Stroll.

If Ocon goes to Renault then it seems obvious that Russell would replace him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:01 pm 

No doubt but those Stroll rumours have gotten me worried. Wouldn't it be a stupid move to leave Williams after his father invested such a big sum in the team? I hope this rumour is just SILLY.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 pm 

According to this source Sergio Marchionne has been replaced. If Ferrari hasn't yet signed Leclerc for next year, then this might affect the situation. Raikkonen might yet get contract extension if the new management wants to keep him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:33 pm 

froze wrote:
According to this source Sergio Marchionne has been replaced. If Ferrari hasn't yet signed Leclerc for next year, then this might affect the situation. Raikkonen might yet get contract extension if the new management wants to keep him.

Yes, the meeting was due to take place today. Marchionne was championing LeClerc, but most of the remaining senior figures wanted to keep Kimi.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:01 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
froze wrote:

Yes, the meeting was due to take place today. Marchionne was championing LeClerc, but most of the remaining senior figures wanted to keep Kimi.

... for whatever reasons! Räikkönen has been in the best or co-best car in the past one-and-a-half seasons and has not one a single race. Time to give someone else a chance! Put Leclerc in!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:05 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
No doubt but those Stroll rumours have gotten me worried. Wouldn't it be a stupid move to leave Williams after his father invested such a big sum in the team? I hope this rumour is just SILLY.

Well, I guess the difference is that Stroll sen. can buy FI completely, something that Williams is not willing to allow. Complete control of a - perceived - more competitive team is better than minor control over a - perceived - less competitive team.

Be sure that we will not see a competitive teammate in the second car in this case ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:10 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
froze wrote:

Here's the official statement: https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/media_ce ... CEMENT.pdf
Apparently Mike Manley, the head of Jeep and Ram brands, assumes CEO duties with immediate effect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:48 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Well, I guess the difference is that Stroll sen. can buy FI completely, something that Williams is not willing to allow. Complete control of a - perceived - more competitive team is better than minor control over a - perceived - less competitive team.

Be sure that we will not see a competitive teammate in the second car in this case ...

That's why I don't want Stroll & his dad coming over to Force India. It's not that Stroll is a great driver. Even Sirotkin is faring better than him. If Stroll Sr. buys the team & keeps Stroll stuck to 1 seat, what's the point of securing a team's future with dismal drivers (not putting Kubica in the picture).

Rather see BWT or Mercedes buy Force India instead. As per many rumours regarding Sainz, Kubica, Perez, Ocon, Leclerc etc. we can surely look forward to the 2nd half of the season where new contracts would be offered & a lot of mysteries regarding new driver lineups will unfold.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:40 pm 

Mercedes - Hamilton/Bottas Confirmed
Ferrari - Vettel/Raikkonen Confirmed
Red Bull - Ricciardo/Verstappen Confirmed, all though Ricciardo is expected to stay unless Ferrari make a last ditch approach if they decide Leclerc isn't ready yet

Haas - Magussen/Perez

Force India - Stroll/Kubica No I can't see this happening unless Ocon moves to Renault, this move would need to be approved by Mercedes. I think if George Russell wins the F2 title he could end up here

Toro Rosso - Gasly/??? Yeah this could be anyone at the moment, Nando Norris could be loaned to them?

Sauber - Ericsson/ If Leclerc moves to Ferrari then I think Antonio Giovinazzi could get this drive or would Daniil Kvyat be given a second chance, I suspect that Ericsson will stay on.

McLaren - Alonso/Sainz I don't understand this one, do need McLaren need to sell cars in Spain?, I'm still thinking that Alonso might retire as that Indy 500 title lures him there. I don't know if Vandoorne will stay though he's really struggling at the moment.
Nando Norris (if he wins the F2 title over Russell could get this drive) if he doesn't win the title then I think he'll stay put in F2 or do Super Formula or would they loan him out to Toro Rosso?

Williams -Sirotkin/Stroll (I think if Williams make the big necessary changes to the car and the design office then I can only see Stroll staying or if he leaves and there no place for George Russell could end up here as Mercedes would give Williams a big discount on engines or do Williams see if they can work closely with Mercedes to move up them up the grid. I can't see Williams wanting to become a B team but needs are a must at the moment

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:19 pm 

Maybe, Ferrari should really reconsidering their driver policy.

Räikkönen keeps avoiding to win a race, even despite being in the best or co-best car for one-a-half seasons.

And how many potential wins/podiums has Vettel thrown away by driving mistakes in the last 20 or so races? Six?!? That is way too much for an unchallenged No. 1 in a top team!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:40 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Räikkönen keeps avoiding to win a race, even despite being in the best or co-best car for one-a-half seasons.

And how many potential wins/podiums has Vettel thrown away by driving mistakes in the last 20 or so races? Six?!? That is way too much for an unchallenged No. 1 in a top team!

It's fair enough what you'll saying but who would you like to replace Kimi Raikkonen? if you could decide?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:17 pm 

paulsf1fix wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

It's fair enough what you'll saying but who would you like to replace Kimi Raikkonen? if you could decide?

They certainly could have signed Ricciardo...Like I've been saying for a while now, Ferrari are very complacent for a team that isn't actually winning the championships.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:30 pm 

paulsf1fix wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Ricciardo!
Leclerc!
Bottas, Ocon, Hülkenberg, Perez, Magnussen, Sainz
In teammate relation, even Vandoorne looks likely to not be a downgrading ...

(Assuming that Hamilton, Alonso, Verstappen are no options - otherwise one or two of them).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Ferrari letting Vettel go would be frankly lunacy. He'd be off to build another team around him and be a thorn in Ferraris side again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:33 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
paulsf1fix wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Ricciardo!
Leclerc!

(Assuming that Hamilton, Alonso, Verstappen are no options - otherwise one or two of them).

Bottas really remind me of his race win this year.

All the drivers you have listed above with the exception of Ricciardo, would be a downgrade on Kimi.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:13 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
paulsf1fix wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Ricciardo!
Leclerc!

Bottas really remind me of his race win this year.

All the drivers you have listed above with the exception of Ricciardo, would be a downgrade on Kimi.

I don' t think so. They would be an upgrade, most probably.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:30 am 

shoot999 wrote:
froze wrote:

Yep and it's being said now that Leclerc will go to Haas, replacing Grosjean?

If this happens I can see Giovinazzi at Sauber.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:34 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Ferrari letting Vettel go would be frankly lunacy. He'd be off to build another team around him and be a thorn in Ferraris side again.

What team would that be?

Does Vettel have the money himself to build a team around him?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:21 am 

pokerman wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

What team would that be?

Does Vettel have the money himself to build a team around him?

Renault would be the obvious one.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

No, he ain't no Jack Brabham.
(And these times are over anyway.)