planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:06 pm 

The f1 app is reporting it as well. I’m so shocked by this. Ricciardo probably believed in Renault more than Honda.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm 

kleefton wrote:
The f1 app is reporting it as well. I’m so shocked by this. Ricciardo probably believed in Renault more than Honda.

Maybe because he's not young anymore to wait & be patient enough to see Honda progress through the years. Renault (team) are making progress & sooner than later they will compete for podiums & within the time frame of Ricciardo planning to stay in F1 & winning an F1 crown.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:16 pm 

Are people really putting Alonso in Ricciardo's seat?

It doesn't look like Honda have much much progress since moving to Torro Rosso, I can't see Alonso risking another 2 years scraping into the top ten. I'm fully expecting him to announce he's taking a sabbatical or even a full on retirement...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:17 pm 

Why are people shocked by this?

He's said all along he wants a championship. Ferrari & Merc were never options & RB have as much as admitted that Verstappen was their man for the future so that basically left him 1 option to get to that goal and he took it.

He's now got the opportunity to lead a full works team. Ok, he won't win the WC next year and maybe not the year after but i'm almost certain he wouldn't have ever had the chance to win it if he stayed at RB.

If he'd re-signed with RB, he could've pretty much kissed goodbye even the slightest hope of ever being WC. At least with Renault he still has the chance, as remote as it currently may seem.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
I secretly hope they'll take advantage of the 'Esteban is allowed to talk to other teams'-stuff. :)

A rerun of their F3 season together?

The alternatives are Gasley (pretty promising young driver but perhaps not spectacular) or bringing in whichever Renault driver gets replaced. I don't see Red bull signing Alonso as much though fans would love to see that. They would have done that a long time ago if that were something they were open to. I don't think they'll want to create that atmosphere with Max and Fernando. That would be a mess. Ocon, for me, would be an excellent choice.

Ocon and Verstappen really don't get on. If the reason for not hiring Sainz or Alonso is team harmony then Ocon is also out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:23 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
I secretly hope they'll take advantage of the 'Esteban is allowed to talk to other teams'-stuff. :)

A rerun of their F3 season together?

The alternatives are Gasley (pretty promising young driver but perhaps not spectacular) or bringing in whichever Renault driver gets replaced. I don't see Red bull signing Alonso as much though fans would love to see that. They would have done that a long time ago if that were something they were open to. I don't think they'll want to create that atmosphere with Max and Fernando. That would be a mess. Ocon, for me, would be an excellent choice.

Ocon and Verstappen really don't get on. If the reason for not hiring Sainz or Alonso is team harmony then Ocon is also out.

You could say that but till nothing is officially confirmed, anything can happen. Silly season is not known 'silly' without a reason!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:35 pm 

Seanie wrote:

It doesn't look like Honda have much much progress since moving to Torro Rosso, I can't see Alonso risking another 2 years scraping into the top ten. I'm fully expecting him to announce he's taking a sabbatical or even a full on retirement...

A redbull honda would still be the third best car by a mile. The Honda pu is pretty much equal to Renault performance wise. I don’t see them catching Merc and Ferrari until the next regs, but they will still be a top team and win races next year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:41 pm 

Beleriand_K wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Alonso to Red Bull. You heard it here first.

That would be amazing but what about the wage bill, what would Honda think of that and they have a top driver already in Verstappen so do they need him?

Alonso teaming up with Verstappen would be spectacular. It would guarantee fireworks both on the track and outside. And unfortunately that's the reason it's not going to happen.

The money can't be a problem for Red Bull, who has given Verstappen the 3rd best contract of all drivers, and claiming that they don't rank one driver higher than the other probably would have paid Ricciardo more than Alonso is earning at McLaren right now.

And regarding Honda, considering Verstappens latest rants against his Renault engines Honda know that they will get exactly the same treatment from Red Bull as they got from McLaren, if they don't deliver the goods. No matter whether Alonso is in the team or not.

So Alonso in a Red Bull is not going to happen. But it would be great if it did. Both because of the entertainment, and because it would be nice to see Alonso in a competitive car for the last few seasons of his career.

Well I think the main reason it won't happen is because of Honda and yet another burnt bridge.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:44 pm 

Sutton wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Sutton wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Sutton wrote:
Danny and Nico or Danny and Carlos.

This silly season just got a whole lot silly :D

Danny got confirmed at Renault. This will trigger a domino effect now. First driver after this I think Sainz would be in a hurry to cement a seat for 2019 because as of now, he's not on the 2019 grid (subject to confirmation)!

Complete speculation from me of course but...

Mercedes - Hamilton/Bottas
Ferrari - Vettel/Raikkonen
Red Bull - Verstappen/Alonso
Toro Rosso - Norris/Gasly
Haas - Magnussen/Leclerc
Force India - Stroll/Ocon
Sauber - Ericsson/Some ferrari type guy
McLaren - Sainz/???
Williams - Serotkin/???
Renault - Ricciardo/Hulkenberg

So You suggest Checo won't be on the grid in 2019?

Nope. My error. He will still be on the grid. Williams?

George Russell will be at Williams.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:

That would be good. Is that something you know or something you think?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:53 pm 

kleefton wrote:

In terms of winning titles does he believe in either short term, I can see him believing Honda is a backwards step for Red Bull?

What does he lose?
Podiums and occasionally wins but no title challenge.

What does he gain?
Keeping his reputation intact which he was in danger of losing against Verstappen thus positioning himself better for 2021.

I would be guessing there might also be a monetary gain?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:56 pm 

pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:

In terms of winning titles does he believe in either short term, I can see him believing Honda is a backwards step for Red Bull?

What does he lose?

What does he gain?
Keeping his reputation intact which he was in danger of losing against Verstappen thus positioning himself better for 2021.

Doesn't Red Bull have a similar tight packing like McLaren? No wonder they have so many engine related failures. Honda engine under a tight packing (a la McLaren) is not something to look upto!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:57 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It's something that has been said and seems to have strong legs, Williams are also to receive the Mercedes gearbox and back end so it seems like a stronger link with Mercedes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:59 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:

What does he lose?

What does he gain?

Doesn't Red Bull have a similar tight packing like McLaren? No wonder they have so many engine related failures. Honda engine under a tight packing (a la McLaren) is not something to look upto!

Yeah I ventured that as well in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:59 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Seanie wrote:

A redbull honda would still be the third best car by a mile. The Honda pu is pretty much equal to Renault performance wise. I don’t see them catching Merc and Ferrari until the next regs, but they will still be a top team and win races next year.

Would it? Everyone seems to think Renault is the future over the last few pages.

Do you think Fernando would be cool with another two years battling for an average of 5th/6th, waiting for a Merc/Ferarri to crash out?

I get that people don't want him to go, but the options for race wins are slim to none for him, short of McLaren strapping a rocket to the car, he's probably done so far as championships and wins are concerned... unless HAM/VET retire/whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:01 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Wished Russell would join FI as he's tested many times for the team & was a strong candidate for a seat incase Checo or Ocon left.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:05 pm 

As some suggested Alonso will retire and move to Indy car racing. Certains seats will be available and awaiting news on Force India status.

I believe Red Bull will struggle with the Honda engines next season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:00 pm 

As per some reports from Spain, Red Bull have decided on Gasly for Ricciardo's replacement. This means Sainz is going to McLaren.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/2198/red-bull-decide-on-ricciardo-replacement/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:22 pm 

This just means Sainz can talk to McLaren. It really wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't on the grid next season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:39 pm 

Just thinking about all this.

Yeah Ricciardo has taken a bit of a gamble going to Renault but it's a calculated risk that could either see him drift backwards or get a WC.

But just thinking, another potential big loser in all this could be Max Verstappen.

With most contracts only going until the end of 2020, Ferrari will have Leclerc lined up to succeed Vettel, Ocon for Hamilton at Merc, Ricciardo potentially ensconced as #1 at Renault and RB struggling with the Honda engine, Verstappen could potentially see himself stuck at RB with nowhere to go in the 4th best car.

All pure conjecture of course and a lot of if's & but's but food for thought.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:45 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
This just means Sainz can talk to McLaren. It really wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't on the grid next season.

I think Alonso will focus on Indy next year. There is no near-term avenue for him to win in F1 and he can get the 500 out of the way during this next year or two and then maybe take a gamble on 2021 to come back to McLaren, Renault or perhaps Hamilton retires and Mercedes even becomes an outside possibility (though I think they would sign Max should Hamilton leave). There is simply no way that Alonso will be winning in 2019 in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:56 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

I think Alonso will focus on Indy next year. There is no near-term avenue for him to win in F1 and he can get the 500 out of the way during this next year or two and then maybe take a gamble on 2021 to come back to McLaren, Renault or perhaps Hamilton retires and Mercedes even becomes an outside possibility (though I think they would sign Max should Hamilton leave). There is simply no way that Alonso will be winning in 2019 in F1.

That's how I saw it a wee while ago but Saward made a good point about his Toyota deal. It runs until after next years Lemans and he can't miss a race or he won't get the WEC title should his car win it. Apparently Honda (Indy) aren't keen while he's contracted to Toyota.

It's sounding more like he'll just do another year at Macca with Sainz then go to Indy when he can drive an Andretti-Honda in 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:57 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
As per some reports from Spain, Red Bull have decided on Gasly for Ricciardo's replacement. This means Sainz is going to McLaren.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/2198/red-bull-decide-on-ricciardo-replacement/

Wow. Not sure if Gasly is ready to face a well nested Verstappen at redbull tbh. This might be career ending and I could see a repeat of the Kvyat saga all over again.

Perhaps Hulkenberg’s pretty thorough beating of Sainz have damaged the young spaniard’s rep as well?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:37 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

That's how I saw it a wee while ago but Saward made a good point about his Toyota deal. It runs until after next years Lemans and he can't miss a race or he won't get the WEC title should his car win it. Apparently Honda (Indy) aren't keen while he's contracted to Toyota.

It's sounding more like he'll just do another year at Macca with Sainz then go to Indy when he can drive an Andretti-Honda in 2020.

If so that would either mean his F1 career would be over or that he would only have one season in Indy and then try to come back. I still hope to see Alonso in winning machinery at least one more season in F1 but it's not feeling very likely.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:17 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

If so that would either mean his F1 career would be over or that he would only have one season in Indy and then try to come back. I still hope to see Alonso in winning machinery at least one more season in F1 but it's not feeling very likely.

Yeah I think it could be over after next year.

Guessing but I think he'll announce a sabbatical or such like for 2020 while he goes to IndyCar with a view to seeing what happens with the 2021 reset and all the drivers being out of contract and how all that shakes out but I don't think it'll come to anything and he'll be effectively retired from F1 without actually announcing it while carrying on competing in Indy while threatening a comeback to F1 every now and then and getting linked endlessly every silly season until he's about 45,lol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:06 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

As kind of predicted.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:58 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Or it means Sainz is out, if McLaren decides Norris is ready. It's not a certainty he's going to McLaren just because he isn't going to Red Bull.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:00 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Why would he have to do Indy with a Honda engine?
There are good Chevy teams out there who wouldn't have the same Toyota hang-ups that Honda would, and would probably like having Alonso in for the 500.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:11 pm 

Lentulus wrote:
There are good Chevy teams out there who wouldn't have the same Toyota hang-ups that Honda would, and would probably like having Alonso in for the 500.

Yeah he could go to other teams but he's only being linked to Andretti as far as I'm aware. Maybe if/when he commits to IndyCar then more conversations outwith Andretti and Honda can take place sure but right now it seems Honda powered teams are the ones in talks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:09 am 

In my thread about should Alonso go, my answer is YES!!!. He will never win another WC again in F1....

He's better off leaving F1 with a good reputation behind him and extend his talents to another series, like Mansell did. Make way for fresh blood!..... Button, Massa, Barrichello and Webber all left and were part of the same era in racing. Alonso and Kimi are part of the same crowd and should also leave. Hamilton and Vettel will be the next generation to leave F1 depending on their moods or if they are fed up. The rest will leave depending on their futures within the team.

Next few months should be interesting. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:01 am 

Can I make a silly assumption? Would Red Bull even slightest consider Kimi for Ricciardo's seat? I know Red Bull go for younger drivers but still thought about it.

Another rumour is that Vandoorne will be replaced by Norris in Spa. Quite ironic to be replaced at his home grand prix!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:15 am 

I can’t see way Kimi steps into the RBR. It doesn’t make sense for either the team or the driver. Gasly will take the RBR seat, and we’ll have to wait to see what happens with FI before the rest of the driver market can settle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:08 pm 

So can we say now that RIC is running from Max in the same way VET, as some seem to think, ran away from RIC? Is this a case of "kill by the sword die by the sword"? Or is this different?

For the record, I think both arguments are beyond stupid, no one ran from anyone, these are drivers that evaluated the team situation and their future and acted as they saw fit and in their best interest. The narrative I have been reaing for so long that VET escaped an as wooping from RIC to me does not hold water.

This is a good move for RIC, now Max has to deliver, calm down a bit and play the long game.

Hopefully Alonso will leave, he is a spent force in F1, nowhere to go stuck in a team that at the most could fight for best of the rest next year. Nobody wants to get near Alonso and his politics. Stof Van deserves a real chance to be in a team devoid of Alonso. Stoff ans Carlos is a good lineup for a rebuilding McLaren, two chill dudes that will take a lot of pressure off the team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:07 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Can I make a silly assumption? Would Red Bull even slightest consider Kimi for Ricciardo's seat? I know Red Bull go for younger drivers but still thought about it.

Another rumour is that Vandoorne will be replaced by Norris in Spa. Quite ironic to be replaced at his home grand prix!

I think Kimi would be the perfect counterfoil to Max. Hell or bust v OK, I know what I'm doing, bringing in points for the lower step. There is also the lethargic way Kimi moves over. Not 'NO' just so you want me to move, well say it so everyone knows but I don't care.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:21 pm 

Now that Ocon's supposed move to Renault from an unknown FI have been dented big time, I wonder if Toto / Mercedes will try their best & look into FI matters with more interest in order to safeguard Ocon's immediate future.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:32 pm 

PRFAN wrote:
So can we say now that RIC is running from Max in the same way VET, as some seem to think, ran away from RIC? Is this a case of "kill by the sword die by the sword"? Or is this different?

For the record, I think both arguments are beyond stupid, no one ran from anyone, these are drivers that evaluated the team situation and their future and acted as they saw fit and in their best interest. The narrative I have been reaing for so long that VET escaped an as wooping from RIC to me does not hold water.

This is a good move for RIC, now Max has to deliver, calm down a bit and play the long game.

Hopefully Alonso will leave, he is a spent force in F1, nowhere to go stuck in a team that at the most could fight for best of the rest next year. Nobody wants to get near Alonso and his politics. Stof Van deserves a real chance to be in a team devoid of Alonso. Stoff ans Carlos is a good lineup for a rebuilding McLaren, two chill dudes that will take a lot of pressure off the team

This. Mclaren should see their past and act accordingly. When Honda left them they tried to stay afloat to please their star driver (Senna/Alonso). Senna left them, a young Hakkinen was left to help rebuild the team and eventually they did after a few years of struggle and became champions again.

Mclaren has a car with some fundamental issues (like Williams), but unlike them, they have the budget to afford a driver that would help with his input (Kimi/Kubica maybe Perez) instead of going for a young gun like Norris or a paydriver like Sirotkin/Stroll

Top 3 Competition
2016: 5th, Wins in: Spain, 1st Great Britain

F1 Oracle 2016: 2nd, Wins in: Australia, Russia, Canada, Great Britain

Group Pick'em 6th, Podiums: 2nd Monaco

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:24 pm 

PRFAN wrote:

I agree. Alonso would love to destroy Vandoorne. But Mclaren should support him. Alonso will not be there for long buy Vandoorne career might get over sooner if he looses his confidence.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:13 am 

Zak Brown has recently admitted that Sainz is high in the list of potential drivers to get a seat in 2019. Question is which seat's going to get empty - Alonso or Vandoorne?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 pm 

It's probably assumed Verstappen doesn't want Sainz at Red Bull. In such scenarios, the team should have a bigger saying than the driver as Verstappen is still young & building on experience. Similar scenarios were at Ferrari & Mercedes even but the driver's in question are 4 time WDC's.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/2213/verstappen-doesn-t-want-sainz-at-red-bull-report/

So does this mean only Gasly is the probable option to replace Ricciardo?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:46 pm 

Don't trust Spanish news, especially Marca.

It's highly unlikely Verstappen has a veto or something like that. If Sainz doesn't get chosen, it's because Red Bull thinks he isn't good enough. Renault apparently wasn't that impressed either. Sainz will be lucky to get a seat anywhere.