planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:08 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Trying to decipher everything that's being said this is how I'm seeing the landscape at the moment:-

Mercedes
Hamilton
Bottas

Ferrari
Vettel
Raikkonen

Red Bull
Verstappen
Gasly

Renault
Ricciardo
Hulkenberg

McLaren
Sainz
Vandoorne

Force India
Stroll
Perez

Williams
Sirotkin
Ocon

STR
Norris
Giovinazzi/Albon

Haas
Magnussen
Grosjean/Leclerc

Sauber
Ericsson
Leclerc/Giovinazzi

The main factor that might change the line ups is just how committed are both Mercedes and Ferrari to their junior drivers. Both Ricciardo joining Renault and the Strolls buying Force India have put the spanner in the works for the Mercedes junior drivers, to get both drivers on the grid as far as I can see would involve finding Ocon a seat at McLaren so that Russell can join Williams but there appears to be no real strong rumours that will happen whereas for instance there is a strong rumour that Perez is close to signing for Force India.

Meanwhile in regards to Ferrari to get both their juniors on the grid would involve Leclerc replacing Grosjean at Haas so Giovinazzi can join Sauber but again there are no strong rumours this will happen whilst there is a rumour that Giovinazzi might be of interest to STR.

Regarding STR, Will Buxton is campaigning for former Red Bull junior Albon to get a seat there, what is also of interest concerning Albon is that he is part Thai and Red Bull is co-owned by a Thai, Albon is one of the front runners in F2 being up there with Russell and Norris.

The Norris tie in with STR is thought to be some kind of part ex deal with Sainz, I'm not sure if James Key may also be wrapped in with this but that would be highly speculative.

Since Stroll Sr. bought over the team along with others, all the journalists / websites say it's a given that Lance will occupy 1 of the seats. Ocon is assumed to either stick with Force India or go to McLaren. Perez on the other hand is linked to a few teams such as Force India, Williams, McLaren & Haas.

Seems Perez is in a better position.

Leclerc should stick with Sauber as the team plans to fight for 4th in WCC in 2019. This means more development & funding is obvious. He staying with the team will assist him in being more competitive due to familiar environment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:09 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
I don't see the upside to placing Leclerc at Haas for either him or the team. Haas might be willing to take on Ferrari Academy/affiliated drivers but they're looking to be competitors themselves so I don't see them willing to take on one that might only be there for 1 season. Haas would be better off taking on Giovinazzi IMO.

While Leclerc might benefit from being in a more competitive car. The Sauber isn't as bad as it has been the last few years, and could well be better in 2019, he really needs is more race seat time which he can get plenty of where he is now and doesn't need the complication of adapting to a new team.

Well the benefit I would see for Ferrari would be comparing Leclerc with KMag as opposed to Ericsson who isn't that highly rated, likewise they can compare Giovinazzi with Ericsson as a comparison with Leclerc.

It is being said that the Ferrari teams are waiting upon what Ferrari are doing with their drivers before they announce their line ups, as for what benefit it might be for Haas, if Leclerc is as good as people think then plenty of WCC points and extra prize money.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:11 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Trying to decipher everything that's being said this is how I'm seeing the landscape at the moment:-

Mercedes
Hamilton
Bottas

Ferrari
Vettel
Raikkonen

Red Bull
Verstappen
Gasly

Renault
Ricciardo
Hulkenberg

McLaren
Sainz
Vandoorne

Force India
Stroll
Perez

Williams
Sirotkin
Ocon

STR
Norris
Giovinazzi/Albon

Haas
Magnussen
Grosjean/Leclerc

Sauber
Ericsson
Leclerc/Giovinazzi

The main factor that might change the line ups is just how committed are both Mercedes and Ferrari to their junior drivers. Both Ricciardo joining Renault and the Strolls buying Force India have put the spanner in the works for the Mercedes junior drivers, to get both drivers on the grid as far as I can see would involve finding Ocon a seat at McLaren so that Russell can join Williams but there appears to be no real strong rumours that will happen whereas for instance there is a strong rumour that Perez is close to signing for Force India.

Meanwhile in regards to Ferrari to get both their juniors on the grid would involve Leclerc replacing Grosjean at Haas so Giovinazzi can join Sauber but again there are no strong rumours this will happen whilst there is a rumour that Giovinazzi might be of interest to STR.

Regarding STR, Will Buxton is campaigning for former Red Bull junior Albon to get a seat there, what is also of interest concerning Albon is that he is part Thai and Red Bull is co-owned by a Thai, Albon is one of the front runners in F2 being up there with Russell and Norris.

The Norris tie in with STR is thought to be some kind of part ex deal with Sainz, I'm not sure if James Key may also be wrapped in with this but that would be highly speculative.

Since Stroll Sr. bought over the team along with others, all the journalists / websites say it's a given that Lance will occupy 1 of the seats. Ocon is assumed to either stick with Force India or go to McLaren. Perez on the other hand is linked to a few teams such as Force India, Williams, McLaren & Haas.

Seems Perez is in a better position.

Leclerc should stick with Sauber as the team plans to fight for 4th in WCC in 2019. This means more development & funding is obvious. He staying with the team will assist him in being more competitive due to familiar environment.

I've heard that Perez maybe only days away from signing with Force India.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:27 pm 

Seeing Norris on the grid but not Russell would be weird. Totally conceivable though, as is the norm in F1

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:14 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Seeing Norris on the grid but not Russell would be weird. Totally conceivable though, as is the norm in F1

I'd be happy for Norris to do another season in F2 to get some more polish on. But whatever he does, I hope he stays away from that Toro Rosso seat. Red Bull ruins careers. He should stick with the team that will actually support him.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 am 

I think though if Norris moves over to Toro Rosso then McLaren need for him to do some practice one sessions for them when the F2 season finishes, if Russell takes the F2 title then hopefully he will get a Williams seat if Mercedes offer them a big discount for engines and gearboxes.

Also Ferrari should keep Leclerc at Sauber as they say the second season is harder than the first year, so Kimi stays put IMO.
There is also a rumour that if Stoffel Vandoorne loses his McLaren drive he might end up at Sauber as his manager is part of Sauber's investment management team there.
The Hass lineup is also an interesting situation, if they lose faith with Romain Grosjean then who replaces him there, people link Leclerc but I don't think Hass would like him to go there on a one year deal, they didn't like him when he was their test driver!

The F1 mod summer break has been exciting, worrying and a big talking point. We have the safe future of Force India, Daniel Ricciardo goes to Renault, Alonso retires because he might be heading to indycars and Carlos Sainiz moves to McLaren for 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:01 am 

mcdo wrote:

Russell was destined for FI seat before the team's financial hassles came up. Russell most probably will be in F1 next year. He's stepped up for his chance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:31 pm 

Just seen this on the Planet F1 home page:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/vergne-ap ... n-in-2019/

If true I wonder what team it was.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:06 pm 

owenmahamilton wrote:

Torro Rosso/Red Bull?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:39 pm 

Kev627 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

Torro Rosso/Red Bull?

I think he made it plain when he left it would not be the Red Bull family if he came back. My guess, Mclaren.
Second guess, Renault

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:21 pm 

moby wrote:
Kev627 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

Torro Rosso/Red Bull?

I think he made it plain when he left it would not be the Red Bull family if he came back. My guess, Mclaren.
Second guess, Renault

If Haas wants to boot Grosjean but not too keen on Giovinazzi I could see JEV going there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:01 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
Kev627 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

Torro Rosso/Red Bull?

Second guess, Renault

If Haas wants to boot Grosjean but not too keen on Giovinazzi I could see JEV going there.

My first thought was Williams

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:47 am 

owenmahamilton wrote:

Hmm, if your Vergne why would you announce this?

Surely you would be negotiating behind closed doors which makes me think this isn't a serious offer, perhaps an offer for some sort of testing role.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:30 pm 

Checo has said it's only a matter of a few days before he continues with Force India. He has said :

"My contract doesn't need signing. The renewal [option] is there and it's just about seeing what position the team is in to continue."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138143/perez-expects-imminent-2019-force-india-deal

This surely puts Ocon in a quandary! McLaren perhaps. Don't think Red Bull or Sauber would consider him. Williams look like an option but this would be a downward step.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:35 pm 

Could it be that Vergne has convinced himself never to drive for Red Bull again, and thus turned down a Red Bull/STR seat? It would explain why he dared to announced such a thing.

That would also suggest that Red Bull would prefer a more experienced driver than Gasly to join Verstappen.

I would have expected Red Bull to try and lure Buemi over Vergne though. So it's probably no such thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 pm 

StanB123 wrote:
Could it be that Vergne has convinced himself never to drive for Red Bull again, and thus turned down a Red Bull/STR seat? It would explain why he dared to announced such a thing.

That would also suggest that Red Bull would prefer a more experienced driver than Gasly to join Verstappen.

I would have expected Red Bull to try and lure Buemi over Vergne though. So it's probably no such thing.

There's no way Vergne would turn down Red Bull. I think Renault is likely and they decided to go a different route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:18 pm 

As expected Gasly to Red Bull has just been confirmed. The combined age of the two drivers next season will be 44!

https://twitter.com/PierreGASLY/status/ ... 46080?s=19

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/statu ... 88000?s=19

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 pm 

JN23 wrote:
As expected Gasly to Red Bull has just been confirmed. The combined age of the two drivers next season will be 44!

Come on Ferrari, follow the example and hire Leclerc to replace KR.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:45 pm 

Fair play to him. After getting drafted out to Super Formula there was a possibility that he wouldn't even make it on to the F1 grid. 2 years later and he'll be driving a Red Bull. Brilliant

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 pm 

Mercedes: Hamilton, Bottas
Ferrari: Vettel, Raikkonen
Red Bull: Verstappen, Gasly
Renault: Ricciardo, Hulkenberg
Haas: Magnussen, Ocon
McLaren: Sainz, Norris
Force India: Perez, Stroll
Sauber: Ericsson, Leclerc
Williams: Sirotkin, Russell

Toro Rosso is the real wild card. I can’t predict what will happen there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 pm 

Am I the only one who would rather see Russell in F1 than Kubica?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Am I the only one who would rather see Russell in F1 than Kubica?

No, you're not, but I don't think we'll see either one of them. Ocon will get the Williams seat before Russell, because Toto really can't afford to lose Ocon already. Kubica will probably move to Force India as a development/reserve driver with Stroll.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:53 pm 

I really hope Russell gets a seat next year. Another season in DTM or Super Formula won’t do him any good. He’s ready for F1.

There are other options out there. Grosjean’s seat at Haas is potentially up for grabs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 pm 

FERRARI: VET/RAI

HAAS: MAG/LEC

SAUBER: ERC/GIO

Marchionne's plan and legacy lives on. The tide has turned and Ferrari are positioning themselves in place where Mercedes used to be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:37 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
StanB123 wrote:

There's no way Vergne would turn down Red Bull. I think Renault is likely and they decided to go a different route.

Not sure why Renault would be talking to him, even pre Ricciardo they had Hulkenberg contracted, with potential options on Sainz and Ocon. The only team that is going to struggle for drivers next year is Toro Rosso.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:06 am 

Grizzly B wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
StanB123 wrote:

Not sure why Renault would be talking to him, even pre Ricciardo they had Hulkenberg contracted, with potential options on Sainz and Ocon. The only team that is going to struggle for drivers next year is Toro Rosso.

As a back up alternative if Ricciardo and Merc said no? They clearly didn't fancy Sainz.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:40 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Grizzly B wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
StanB123 wrote:

As a back up alternative if Ricciardo and Merc said no? They clearly didn't fancy Sainz.

Look, I like JEV, I think he got a tough deal in F1 and probably deserved another chance. He's also done well to go to FE and rebuild his reputation, and some of his defensive driving has been phenomenal (although he does still overstep the mark every now and then). But I don't really see how he would be a better option than Sainz (and I'm not even sure if that's what you're suggesting?) even if you're right in the assessment that they clearly preferred the idea of Hulkenberg, Ricciardo and probably even Ocon over Carlos.

Also, I suspect this is getting blown out of proportion. Even if an F1 team approached JEV and asked if he has a contract for next year, that doesn't automatically equate to 'An F1 team has offered JEV a race drive in 2019', which seems to be the way some websites are reporting it. It could simply have been a team enquiring if he is available for 2018 as part of their process of finding out which drivers are available. Although to take the bait, *if* an F1 team is seriously interested in JEV, I bet it is Red Bull looking to bring him back to Toro Rosso. He's not what Williams are after right now ($$$), Renault had better options, McLaren have internal/external options, Force India's line-up seems like it'll be Stroll + Ocon or Perez, Sauber would keep Ericsson over JEV (obviously alongside Leclerc or Giovinazzi) and Haas are going to retain Magnussen alongside either Grosjean or Leclerc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:55 pm 

A year or two ago I would have said JEV to Williams would have been a sensible matchup. But not now - Williams need funding and JEV is much better off where he is now

There's speculation over on Reddit that Red Bull are trying to get him back into Toro Rosso. I don't believe for a second that he would entertain the idea. He's been quite open about how miserable he was there

Toro Rosso really is an interesting one this year. It could be anybody! I wonder if they've pondered looking at IndyCar or if their experience with Bourdais would put them off. I wonder if any of the top Indy guys would even be interested - are the likes of Newgarden and Rossi quite content to stay where they are, winning races and competing for titles

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:13 pm 

If it's for a full time race seat then Toro Rosso is the only team that makes sense to me, they basically did the same thing last year with Hartley after all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:48 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
JN23 wrote:

I agree!..... Though it appears that Kimi will hold onto his seat for next year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:06 pm 

Noni wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
JN23 wrote:

S

I agree!..... Though it appears that Kimi will hold onto his seat for next year.

Yes, same procedure as every year ....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:01 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
Kev627 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

Torro Rosso/Red Bull?

Second guess, Renault

I heard it was Haas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:17 pm 

pokerman wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
Kev627 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

Torro Rosso/Red Bull?

Second guess, Renault

I heard it was Haas.

I would welcome that. They’d be getting someone mature with Grosjean like experience without the boneheadedness.

Haas aspires to being a team that fights toward the front and running their own drivers instead of being an incubator for the factory teams young guns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:32 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I heard it was Haas.

I would welcome that. They’d be getting someone mature with Grosjean like experience without the boneheadedness.

Haas aspires to being a team that fights toward the front and running their own drivers instead of being an incubator for the factory teams young guns.

Indeed, I think JEV has improved massively as a driver since coming to Formula E, and I would be quite interested to see him back in F1. Having a world champion of a different top-level single seat series in their car should also raise Haas' profile. Newgarden would be better (from the PR point of view if nothing else) but JEV is good.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:11 am 

Kimi Raikkonen is poised to continue at Ferrari & an announcement could be made either at Spa or at Monza.
https://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/ferrari-to-announce-raikkonen-for-2019-report-20180822

A domino effect of this would lead Leclerc moving to Haas in 2019!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:39 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Kimi Raikkonen is poised to continue at Ferrari & an announcement could be made either at Spa or at Monza.
https://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/ferrari-to-announce-raikkonen-for-2019-report-20180822

Or staying at Sauber.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:44 am 

JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Or staying at Sauber.

Well I'd be surprised if he did go to Haas. Sauber has improved so much, he'll do better in a familiar environment. I'm sure Sauber will get better still due to additional funding.

As for Haas, I still think Grosjean's no safe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:24 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

It's being said that Kimi is to be given a 1 + 1 year contract, the second year subject to a performance clause, whilst Grosjean is out at Haas to be replaced by Leclerc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:50 am 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

It's being said that Kimi is to be given a 1 + 1 year contract, the second year subject to a performance clause, whilst Grosjean is out at Haas to be replaced by Leclerc.

With Giovinazzi obviously taking Leclerc's seat at Sauber, a sequence of events that made the most sense (at least for Ferrari) all along.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:59 am 

Checo being hounded by journalists. I wonder what all he knows & what all can he share: