planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:37 pm 

Not sure how many of you know about the 2016 champ's fledgling new career in media. I figured he'd just try to be a pundit like Coulthard or Hill but he looks to be approaching this from a more creative angle. Anyway, I think it might be something to keep an eye on. He has connections in F1 with both personnel and manufacturers that most people simply do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40oSH-ABYow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:49 pm 

I just wish he would turn down the damn music in his videos. The content is very good though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:00 pm 

Have subscribed to his channel for many years already, lots of great content!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:55 am 

KingVoid wrote:
I just wish he would turn down the damn music in his videos. The content is very good though.

Agreed, on both points. His content is quite good, the production values are excellent, but he (or his editor, more accurately) is a bit too fond of the loud hyper-modern mood music between cuts.

I've never been a Rosberg fan, but I do appreciate his viewpoint. He knows what he's talking about, and now that he's out of F1 he's free to say it.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:15 am 

He’s been making videos for a very long time now. His WDC must have been special for those who have been following his channel since 2011.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:43 pm 

I seen a couple of his vids before, they're quite good really, a lot better than most of the vlogging vids out there. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've seen him doing a vid where he explains how many people are working behind the camera for him to make his content.

Not taking anything away from his vids, just pointing out that his actual role in his vids os more of a presenter/host than anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:37 pm 

minchy wrote:
I seen a couple of his vids before, they're quite good really, a lot better than most of the vlogging vids out there. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've seen him doing a vid where he explains how many people are working behind the camera for him to make his content.

Not taking anything away from his vids, just pointing out that his actual role in his vids os more of a presenter/host than anything else.

Doesn't matter how many people are working behind the camera if the the content of the video is developed by Nico and are his ideas then he is more than a presenter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:51 pm 

Looks like he's having a great life. I'm envious. Both of them really.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:56 pm 

minchy wrote:

The way he talks to the camera is still impressive. I am sure he is doing for fun only as he is already very rich. I still can't believe he retired so soon. He was driving the best car in F1 and had million $ contract.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:33 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
minchy wrote:

The way he talks to the camera is still impressive. I am sure he is doing for fun only as he is already very rich. I still can't believe he retired so soon. He was driving the best car in F1 and had million $ contract.

I can see it.

He had to move the heavens and earth and probably sign his soul away to the devil in order to win a WDC.

The stress must have been unimaginable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 am 

Altair wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
minchy wrote:

I can see it.

He had to move the heavens and earth and probably sign his soul away to the devil in order to win a WDC.

He raced a car! I know competing at the top is very stressful but how would he have had to "move the heavens and earth and probably sign his soul away to the devil" just for driving a race car? I think that's a bit dramatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
minchy wrote:

...and had to go against lewis Hamilton...

Rosberg just loves to be on camera. I used to follow him since 2012. He used to post videos after every race detailing how he did. I always thought those were awesome and why more drivers didnt do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:26 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Altair wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
minchy wrote:

I can see it.

He raced a car! I know competing at the top is very stressful but how would he have had to "move the heavens and earth and probably sign his soul away to the devil" just for driving a race car? I think that's a bit dramatic

It’s not just racing a car. It’s travelling around the world which takes a massive toll (I recall Alonso spent the equivalent of an entire month in a plane during 2013). On top of that your physical preparation of training, nutrition and sleep needed to be managed to the maximum degree. Furthermore, he has a family, friends and emotions which you can’t ignore. If you look at any one with a very high level of success be it a Prime Minister, athlete or an investment banker their lives are not balanced at all - which is why they are so fragile.
I’d also argue Nico needed to work harder off the track than Lewis to achieve the same results as I don’t think he had as much natural talent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:39 pm 

cm97 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Altair wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
minchy wrote:

I can see it.

It’s not just racing a car. It’s travelling around the world which takes a massive toll (I recall Alonso spent the equivalent of an entire month in a plane during 2013). On top of that your physical preparation of training, nutrition and sleep needed to be managed to the maximum degree. Furthermore, he has a family, friends and emotions which you can’t ignore. If you look at any one with a very high level of success be it a Prime Minister, athlete or an investment banker their lives are not balanced at all - which is why they are so fragile.
I’d also argue Nico needed to work harder off the track than Lewis to achieve the same results as I don’t think he had as much natural talent.
All of the above are applicable to every driver on the grid. Have they all moved heaven and earth and sold their souls away?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:58 pm 

Zoue wrote:
All of the above are applicable to every driver on the grid. Have they all moved heaven and earth and sold their souls away?

There was a lot that went on at Mercedes that was exhausting, simply because the car was so good both drivers needed to look for every possible advantage to beat the other, and the pressure was always on because both pushed each other to the limit. There was endless politicking, disputes, mind games, conspiracy theories going on. And it happened every race weekend for a few years, played out in front of the worlds media. I think Nico’s exhaustive efforts to realise his childhood dream would have tested the limits of most guys on the same grid. I’m not surprised he retired once he achieved his goal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:22 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Zoue wrote:

There was a lot that went on at Mercedes that was exhausting, simply because the car was so good both drivers needed to look for every possible advantage to beat the other, and the pressure was always on because both pushed each other to the limit. There was endless politicking, disputes, mind games, conspiracy theories going on. And it happened every race weekend for a few years, played out in front of the worlds media. I think Nico’s exhaustive efforts to realise his childhood dream would have tested the limits of most guys on the same grid. I’m not surprised he retired once he achieved his goal.

I think it is equally cut-throat on both sides of the grid. Some of these drivers have only a handful of seasons to prove themselves against their team mates or lose the seat to the next kid with some funding or a rich dad. While I agree it was a season that took it's toll on both Mercedes drivers, however, I do not think it is a unique situation in F1.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:14 am 

cm97 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Altair wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
minchy wrote:

I can see it.

BIB
I agree - especially now, when there is so much data available and shared in the team, that the more naturally gifted driver can eliminate most of the other options where his team-mate could gain an advantage.
We often see Teams cars lining up in consecutive positions on the grid - partly because of the sharing of data being so comprehensive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 am 

Siao7 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I think it is equally cut-throat on both sides of the grid. Some of these drivers have only a handful of seasons to prove themselves against their team mates or lose the seat to the next kid with some funding or a rich dad. While I agree it was a season that took it's toll on both Mercedes drivers, however, I do not think it is a unique situation in F1.

Of course it can be mostly the same for the back end of the grid as well, but the key difference here was that not everyone has Lewis Hamilton as their teammate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:52 pm 

froze wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Of course it can be mostly the same for the back end of the grid as well, but the key difference here was that not everyone has Lewis Hamilton as their teammate.

Very true

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:02 pm 

froze wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Zoue wrote:

In all honesty, I think the pressure is probably worse at the back end of the grid, in many ways.

At the front, you have largely established drivers. They are fighting to prove they are the best and the stress comes from the natural competitive element and the desire not to lose. But at the back, there's the added stress of knowing that often you are fighting for your very career and I'll bet this offers a few more sleepless nights.

I don't see that Rosberg had any more stress than just about any WDC contender in a close fight before him

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:27 pm 

Zoue wrote:
froze wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Zoue wrote:

In all honesty, I think the pressure is probably worse at the back end of the grid, in many ways.

At the front, you have largely established drivers. They are fighting to prove they are the best and the stress comes from the natural competitive element and the desire not to lose. But at the back, there's the added stress of knowing that often you are fighting for your very career and I'll bet this offers a few more sleepless nights.

I don't see that Rosberg had any more stress than just about any WDC contender in a close fight before him

I rarely disagree with you Zoue but I do on this topic. I don't doubt that all the drivers do the best they can to beat their teammates and score the best possible result for themselves and their teams, but when there's a WDC on the line - which is the grand prize they all strive for throughout their entire lives - I bet they walk the extra mile in every single aspect in order to be better prepared and that thousandth of a second faster. Especially when you're up against such an elite driver and the margin is so tiny. I can't imagine there being a driver under as much stress and pressure as Rosberg was in 2016. Hamilton must also have been under immense pressure but knowing you already are a multiple world champion regardless of the championship outcome must take the edge of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:13 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
froze wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

I rarely disagree with you Zoue but I do on this topic. I don't doubt that all the drivers do the best they can to beat their teammates and score the best possible result for themselves and their teams, but when there's a WDC on the line - which is the grand prize they all strive for throughout their entire lives - I bet they walk the extra mile in every single aspect in order to be better prepared and that thousandth of a second faster. Especially when you're up against such an elite driver and the margin is so tiny. I can't imagine there being a driver under as much stress and pressure as Rosberg was in 2016. Hamilton must also have been under immense pressure but knowing you already are a multiple world champion regardless of the championship outcome must take the edge of it.
I'm not trying to say the front runners don't have any pressure. I fully agree with you that a WDC being on the line will focus a driver's mind even more sharply and add more pressure. And Rosberg was undoubtedly a bundle of nerves by virtue of the fact that a combination of the points system, reliability and the massive car advantage Mercedes had over the rest of the field gave him the opportunity to fight for a title his talent alone wouldn't have presented him with.

But if I compare to, say, Jolyon Palmer or Daniel Kvyat turning up each weekend and wondering whether it was going to be their last, I think it wouldn't be near as stressful. Or maybe just a different kind of stress, I guess. But I'm happy to agree to disagree, or even be wrong on it. I just think fighting for survival is more stressful than fighting for victory, but that's not to take away from either

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:44 pm 

I went there and watched it.
Spent the rest of the week trying to find out how to un-subscribe in youtube :uhoh: .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:54 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
froze wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

I'm not trying to say the front runners don't have any pressure. I fully agree with you that a WDC being on the line will focus a driver's mind even more sharply and add more pressure. And Rosberg was undoubtedly a bundle of nerves by virtue of the fact that a combination of the points system, reliability and the massive car advantage Mercedes had over the rest of the field gave him the opportunity to fight for a title his talent alone wouldn't have presented him with.

But if I compare to, say, Jolyon Palmer or Daniel Kvyat turning up each weekend and wondering whether it was going to be their last, I think it wouldn't be near as stressful. Or maybe just a different kind of stress, I guess. But I'm happy to agree to disagree, or even be wrong on it. I just think fighting for survival is more stressful than fighting for victory, but that's not to take away from either

I understand your viewpoint and I guess it´s a pretty subjective matter. I tried to think of a fitting analogy and the best I could come up with is a group of fishers who have a life long dream, or obsession really, of catching a fabled monster of a fish in some certain lake. They spend all of their time studying the tales and standing with their rods in their boats on the lake. They get along somewhat but the competition and rivalry is stressful and takes its toll on the men. One day one of the fishers catch it on their line and so starts the great long battle to against all odds actually subdue the leviathan and drag it to shore.
I say that fisher is the one most likely to die from a heart attack :)