planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:39 pm 

pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
He should go to Mercedes and deal with Hamilton without mercy. Hamilton was keen to stop it happening, so go there and do the business against the guy who thinks he’s the god of F1. He does deserve a drive for either Ferrari or Mercedes to really challenge for the championship, because it’s clear Red Bull are going nowhere.

A Vettel fan wanting Ricciardo to go to Mercedes, you seem worried?

If Ricciardo goes to Ferrari lets hope he gets more equal treatment than Kimi.

Quote:
A mysterious third paddle has also appeared on Sebastian Vettel’s steering wheel at Ferrari (and only Vettel’s),

http://www.planetf1.com/news/new-fia-cl ... ine-modes/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 pm 

I'm not sure that's evidence of preferential treatment rather than just a preference of Seb position wise on the wheel.

If they both don't have whatever it does then Seb has fallen off a cliff over the winter as Kimi has been right there pace wise so I'm leaning more to it being driver choice of positioning where the switch is and Kimi's is either still in it's original spot or been added to his wheel.

If it's something cornering related then maybe Kimi doesn't mind taking his hand off but Seb wants it so he can adjust it with his hands on type of thing.

It would help if we knew for sure what it was for of course.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:32 pm 

Autosport cautiously relates it to in-corner changes of engine mapping to create exhaust blowing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Autosport cautiously relates it to in-corner changes of engine mapping to create exhaust blowing.

Can Vettel win a title without exhaust blowing? ;)

Anyway I thought this sort of thing was illegal?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 6th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:59 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Yes, you would think so and FIA issued a respective note today (which may imply that there is some smoke there?). Still, Ferrari fans - or fans of any other team if it turns out to target another addressee - will surely find a way to argue that it is smart rule interpretation rather than cheating. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:59 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Yeah Ferrari denied that one and going by the pace difference between Seb and Kimi so far this year it can't be adding much if it did do that.

Or Kimi has found his form to a hell of a degree over the winter as he's closer than he was last year when there was no paddle.

Something about it doesn't make a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:08 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

So was burning oil but we know certain teams do it.

Honda did it with McLaren last year apparently and it's been noted how the Mercedes now sounds an awful lot like the Honda off throttle this year.

Renault must be doing it otherwise their exhaust placement is weird. Ferrari now with the paddle are getting accused.

I'd be surprised if they all weren't doing it to some degree.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:15 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Yeah Ferrari denied that one and going by the pace difference between Seb and Kimi so far this year it can't be adding much if it did do that.

Or Kimi has found his form to a hell of a degree over the winter as he's closer than he was last year when there was no paddle.

Or Räikkönen just uses a different type of device for the same thing.

But, it could also be any other team that is targeted. Still, something with illegal exhaust blowing seems to be going on somewhere ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:17 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Or Räikkönen just uses a different type of device for the same thing.

But, it could also be any other team that is targeted. Still, something with illegal exhaust blowing seems to be going on somewhere ...

Yeah true he could just have it on the wheel as a dial.

I assumed it was Renault related as their exhaust placement is a bit of a giveaway but it could be any or all of course.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

it's been noted how the Mercedes now sounds an awful lot like the Honda off throttle this year.

So, this is why Mercedes drops in performance - they copied the worst competitor. Kind of reverse benchmarking ...

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

it's been noted how the Mercedes now sounds an awful lot like the Honda off throttle this year.

So, this is why Mercedes drops in performance - they copied the worst competitor. Kind of reverse benchmarking ...

:lol:

Only off throttle of course. I don't think they sound alike on throttle. (At least I haven't seen or heard that mentioned)

I think we already know why Mercedes dropped a little though, they're only allowed to get through half the oil this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:06 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

There was a desire to keep the paddle hidden so it's obviously a performance differentiator.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:47 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

There was a desire to keep the paddle hidden so it's obviously a performance differentiator.

Well obviously it does something to the performance or it wouldn't be there. I don't think they are trying to hide it though, a button on the front would be a lot less conspicuous than a big paddle on the back that is seen every time the driver exits the car.

Could be something for ERS deployment, a different way of managing it or something. If it was something adding tons of performance then Kimi would have it too (I accept it's possible he does and it's just somewhere else on his wheel layout) so my guess is they've tried moving something that used to be done on the front of the wheel to the back.

It could also be a soundboard for his radio messages with 3 settings: "Grazie regazzi", "Grande lavoro", "ba ba ba babum babum".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:29 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

I'd hope it was otherwise why have it on the car?

Doesn't mean it's dodgy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:00 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Doesn't mean it's dodgy.

Perhaps the team thought it would answer a request from Vettel: "Can't we get this tub to go any faster???"
Answer from crew: "How about we give you and extra paddle?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:54 am 

Laz_T800 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
He should go to Mercedes and deal with Hamilton without mercy. Hamilton was keen to stop it happening, so go there and do the business against the guy who thinks he’s the god of F1. He does deserve a drive for either Ferrari or Mercedes to really challenge for the championship, because it’s clear Red Bull are going nowhere.

Quote:
A mysterious third paddle has also appeared on Sebastian Vettel’s steering wheel at Ferrari (and only Vettel’s),

Any evidence of why you are assuming that Kimi was denied the specific steering wheel?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am 

Siao7 wrote:
Any evidence of why you are assuming that Kimi was denied the specific steering wheel?

There's no evidence, but I think it's an equally fair question to ask why it's only on Vettel's car. Ultimately however, until we know what the control does, it's entirely possible that it isn't something Kimi would want.

That said, I do think the basic assumption in F1 is that anything new is an advantage, and at best it would seem to indicate that the team is devoting more effort to making sure that Seb is comfortable driving the car. Even if it's just something to make his life easier, it seems less likely that they'd design a new part for Kimi.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:18 am 

Siao7 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
[ Vettel fan wanting Ricciardo to go to Mercedes, you seem worried?

Quote:

It's a Ricciardo thread and thus an open invitation to criticize Vettel.

Seems like it sometimes. I'll be waiting for an answer to my question, but it may be a long wait

yeah, drivers often have different steering wheels to their team mates. There's an article comparing Rosberg and Hamilton's steering wheel where apparently Hamilton had his overtake button replaced with an X button, whose purpose was unknown, but don't recall any threads concerned that favouritism was being shown at the time. This one looks a little more complex, true, but until we know for sure what it's for there's no evidence Kimi is being disadvantaged in this instance, let alone that this would somehow extend to Ricciardo should he go to Ferrari

http://www.f1i.com/magazine/21255-take-a-look-around-lewis-hamiltons-f1-steering-wheel.html/5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 am 

Exediron wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

There's no evidence, but I think it's an equally fair question to ask why it's only on Vettel's car. Ultimately however, until we know what the control does, it's entirely possible that it isn't something Kimi would want.

That said, I do think the basic assumption in F1 is that anything new is an advantage, and at best it would seem to indicate that the team is devoting more effort to making sure that Seb is comfortable driving the car. Even if it's just something to make his life easier, it seems less likely that they'd design a new part for Kimi.

They'd be stupid not to.

F1 cars are prototypes, let's not forget that, they evolve all the time. And each driver has different needs and likes different stuff so cars are tailor made for them. Rubens famously changed his brakes to different ones than Jenson as he liked them more. Or Webber and that front wing (and the mess that followed). Steering wheels are no exception and drivers have different ones to their liking. It is not set in stone that drivers get the same equipment; equally it doesn't mean that they are being disadvantaged, rather that they like different things.

This article discusses how they evolved different steering wheels since last year:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/tech ... to-ev.html

However, there seems to be a tendency to make it always a case of Kimi being disadvantaged by some fans. It may as well be true, but say for example, why don't we hear (extremely stupid example, but hey ho) that "Vettel this year is closer to Kimi, Ferrari developed the car to Kimi's liking"? Vettel fans could argue that. No, it feels like it is always Kimi the poor sod. I just don't buy it so I'll wait to find out a bit more before I make my mind (I do not dismiss the idea, I just don't jump to the "poor Kimi" conclusion straight away).

On that steering wheel, the reports are that it is like a dial. I wonder why no one has looked if there is something missing from the front of the wheel. To see if Vettel has replaced a dial with this paddle-dial thing that he can operate mid corner without having to take his hand from the wheel. Like brake bias maybe.

I would personally love it if it was something that was put there to mess up with everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Well obviously it does something to the performance or it wouldn't be there. I don't think they are trying to hide it though, a button on the front would be a lot less conspicuous than a big paddle on the back that is seen every time the driver exits the car.

Could be something for ERS deployment, a different way of managing it or something. If it was something adding tons of performance then Kimi would have it too (I accept it's possible he does and it's just somewhere else on his wheel layout) so my guess is they've tried moving something that used to be done on the front of the wheel to the back.

It could also be a soundboard for his radio messages with 3 settings: "Grazie regazzi", "Grande lavoro", "ba ba ba babum babum".

No I just read something about Vettel's desire to keep the paddle concealed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:23 am 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

I thought the paddle was discovered by exactly doing the opposite; being flashed to the world when he took the steering off in Bahrain. I don't think he made an effort to hide it, but I can't remember or didn't pay attention at the time to be honest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Doesn't mean it's dodgy.

Well I wouldn't know either way just saying it's doing something that Ferrari would like to remain a secret.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:42 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

If Ferrari wanted it to be a secret they would have put it on a sub menu or a button on the front of the wheel, not a huge paddle on the back of the steering wheel where it's almost guaranteed to be seen when either the driver takes the wheel off to get out of the car or when the drivers look at eachothers cars in parc ferme. There's a complete lack of effort by Ferrari to hide it with their placement of the control.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:59 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
A mysterious third paddle has also appeared on Sebastian Vettel’s steering wheel at Ferrari (and only Vettel’s), with speculation mounting that the Scuderia have found a way to produce a performance boost by altering the car’s settings.

Ferrari had tried to keep the third paddle hidden but eagle-eyed photographers have noticed the new addition in the last couple of races.

It's what was implied in the article?
If you can see something else other than Vettel had new toys to play with and Kimi didn't then please point it out!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:21 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
A mysterious third paddle has also appeared on Sebastian Vettel’s steering wheel at Ferrari (and only Vettel’s), with speculation mounting that the Scuderia have found a way to produce a performance boost by altering the car’s settings.

Ferrari had tried to keep the third paddle hidden but eagle-eyed photographers have noticed the new addition in the last couple of races.

It's what was implied in the article?
If you can see something else other than Vettel had new toys to play with and Kimi didn't then please point it out!

I have, in a long post above it.

But the question was to you, why do you think it is foul play? Not denying that Kimi gets the short stick, but in the case of the steering wheel, there is no evidence of this. The article just says that it is in Vettel's car only, which is stating the obvious, something that is true; it is not at Kimi's. It does not say anywhere that Kimi is not allowed to have this. Nor does it imply it, unless you want to read it in such way.

As for the rest, the bold part explains a lot. They are just fishing for a story. Ferrari seemingly did not make an effort to hide this, please read Black_Flag_11's message above.

Also, look here:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech ... el-733203/

Please read the last paragraph and you'll see what I mean

Or this, older video, but shows the differences of two drivers' wheels:

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/112020-whe ... vs-rosberg

I am sure that's enough info for you to think. I'll wait to find out what this mysterious paddle/dial is doing before I pass judgement to Ferrari for favouring Vettel on this

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:58 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

But the question was to you, why do you think it is foul play? Not denying that Kimi gets the short stick, but in the case of the steering wheel, there is no evidence of this. The article just says that it is in Vettel's car only, which is stating the obvious, something that is true; it is not at Kimi's. It does not say anywhere that Kimi is not allowed to have this. Nor does it imply it, unless you want to read it in such way.

As for the rest, the bold part explains a lot. They are just fishing for a story. Ferrari seemingly did not make an effort to hide this, please read Black_Flag_11's message above.

Also, look here:

I am sure that's enough info for you to think. I'll wait to find out what this mysterious paddle/dial is doing before I pass judgement to Ferrari for favouring Vettel on this

Lol, i was talking specifically about the article, not the entire internet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:37 pm 

I know this has been touched on in the Ricciardo thread but it was a bit off topic so I've fired up a new one.

There seems to be some speculation that the additional functionality on Vettel's steering wheel might be to do with blown exhausts. Seems the FIA are checking its legality.

http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/2018/04/24/5adf5d66e5fdea2d2e8b46aa.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:48 pm 

Source on the FIA checking the paddle?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 pm 

In another thread about Vettel's steering wheel there's a link to an article stating that both Seb and Kimi have a new paddle on their steering wheel, not just Vettel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:17 am 

This is a good article: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13555 ... tra-paddle
Edit: And this one: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13556 ... st-blowing

So far nothing that the FIA are investigating the paddle itself but touching on the subject.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 am 

Laz_T800 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Also, look here:

Then you can see that specific part from my post maybe? Lol all you want, it really adds to the conversation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:08 am 

Zoue wrote:
In another thread about Vettel's steering wheel there's a link to an article stating that both Seb and Kimi have a new paddle on their steering wheel, not just Vettel

http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/201 ... b46aa.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:27 am 

Siao7 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Yeah, it's got me wondering whether the paddle is completely unconnected to blown exhausts. I mean, what are the odds that a team would develop something they know is highly illegal and then stick a bloody great advert for it where it's bound to get noticed?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:42 am 

Zoue wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Yeah, it's got me wondering whether the paddle is completely unconnected to blown exhausts. I mean, what are the odds that a team would develop something they know is highly illegal and then stick a bloody great advert for it where it's bound to get noticed?

Then again this could be their front, too obvious to be that!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:21 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Also, look here:

Then you can see that specific part from my post maybe? Lol all you want, it really adds to the conversation

I'm not sure if something has been lost in translation but you've got a stick up your butt about precisely nothing dude.

For clarification, the story about Ricciardo signing a pre contract with Ferrari and the speculation story about Vettels extra paddle appeared on the PF1 website at the same time. My post was solely based on the 2 and that was all.
It's not some big campaign to put down Seb as you seem to believe.
It was meant as joke, you know like, If he does go there lets hope he gets the extra paddle as well!
Anyway, I'm out of this conversation as you put it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Also, look here:

I'm not sure if something has been lost in translation but you've got a stick up your butt about precisely nothing dude.

For clarification, the story about Ricciardo signing a pre contract with Ferrari and the speculation story about Vettels extra paddle appeared on the PF1 website at the same time. My post was solely based on the 2 and that was all.
It's not some big campaign to put down Seb as you seem to believe.
It was meant as joke, you know like, If he does go there lets hope he gets the extra paddle as well!
Anyway, I'm out of this conversation as you put it.

You are funny. So, let's see:

- Your post came with a straight dig that Kimi doesn't get Vettel's toys.
- I asked you how do you know that, any evidence that Kimi was denied this specific toy, as this is purely a claim without any substance that specifically uses the word "speculation". Even more so as another site claims that both cars got it.
- And I've got a stick up my butt and it was all meant as a joke?

Yeah right... Touchy are we?

I didn't accuse you of putting Vettel down, couldn't care less to be honest; rather I asked how do you know that Kimi is being mistreated on the steering wheel issue. Simple question really, didn't need to take so many posts.

Anyway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:29 pm 

So let's say that the Ferrari SF71H is using engine mapping to use blown exhausts in the corners and that the extra paddle is related, which seems to be the way this is going. Does that mean that Ferrari just have to stop doing it or might they be penalised in some way?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 am 

Completely just a theory off the top of my head but it seems logical enough to me, but it could be that the paddles function is actually to control the amount of battery harvesting. They've got dials and overtake buttons controlling discharge and generally the harvesting is left up to the engine. It could be that the paddle controls harvesting. Obviously it is an RVDT and not a momentary switch, so it is continuously variable not just on off.

It seems to me this would be very useful. For example when using DRS and in a slipstream the car will be much faster than the one in front so if he can use that power differential to charge the battery if not quite close enough for an overtake then that will help close the gap quicker and being variable he can be charging just enough to hold the gap without overdoing it and slowing down.

Another use which would play into the FIA blown exhaust business is that as he is going through the corner obviously you are not using full power mid turn, but you DO need maximum downforce... So logically if you can generate more exhaust gasses you will energise the rear wing and increase downforce and grip allowing you to use even more power and get through the turn faster.

This paddle could be used to do that perfectly! If vettel simultaneously applied more throttle but balanced it out by charging the battery therefore increasing the load upon the engine you'll be getting much more energetic exhaust stream, AND charging your battery pack while the power to the ground remains the same and everything is balanced.

Thoughts?

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:59 am 

Ok everyone in F1 uses a standardised ECU so if the paddle was for exhaust blowing the FIA will pick that up at parc ferme easily.

What is most surprising is instead of journalist doing what they are meant to, they are writing speculative articles.

This could have been post race questions or drivers press conference, but I have not heard one asking Vettel or Raikkonen about the paddle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:13 am 

Rockie wrote:
This could have been post race questions or drivers press conference, but I have not heard one asking Vettel or Raikkonen about the paddle.

... and you really think they'd answer that truthfully if it was something potentially rule-breaking?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)