planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 am 

Is anybody else watching these guys. What a fantastic weekend of racing they have delivered....!!

If the F1 race is even half as exciting as the F2 we will be in for a cracker.

Last edited by Mod Titanium on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Merged both f2 threads

Post subject: Re: F2 races..... Wow
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:00 pm 

It's absolutely amazing. First round in Bahrain was lots of fun as well. I'd recommend people try to catch these races before q and race, brings you in the mood like nothing else. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:32 pm 

I have all the race series linked on my Sky box.

The F2 races are usually pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:47 am 

In terms of excitement F2 is far in front of F1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:48 am 

PT03 wrote:

I think all the lower Formulae deliver good racing as the cars can follow each other in close unison & overtake on pure talent instead of DRS functioning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:51 am 

What caught my attention is the racing room the drivers gave each other and thus the lack of incidents in comparison to the carnage we saw in F1, the racing etiquette put the F1 drivers to shame.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:51 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
PT03 wrote:

I think all the lower Formulae deliver good racing as the cars can follow each other in close unison & overtake on pure talent instead of DRS functioning.

They actually have DRS.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:58 am 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
PT03 wrote:

They actually have DRS.

But atleast most of the cars follow each other closely without getting haywire in handling. I'm still a big fan of Caterham cars racing. It was 1 of my favourite cars in GT6 as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:24 pm 

pokerman wrote:
What caught my attention is the racing room the drivers gave each other and thus the lack of incidents in comparison to the carnage we saw in F1, the racing etiquette put the F1 drivers to shame.

Did you see the Baku GP2 race a couple of years ago when the lead driver misjudged where the SC line was?

He hit the brakes at full speed on the restart, and caused chaos behind - I think he got a race ban.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Did you see the Baku GP2 race a couple of years ago when the lead driver misjudged where the SC line was?

He hit the brakes at full speed on the restart, and caused chaos behind - I think he got a race ban.

That was the Japanese driver Matshuista who has since been dropped from Honda's F1 young driver program.

I actually expect F2 races to be more crash bang wallop in particular on a track like Baku given that the drivers are younger and less experienced, the present field of F2 drivers put the F1 drivers to shame.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:23 pm 

Here's the F2 Race highlights. It was great action from the start. 4 cars stalled on the formation lap to the podium ceremony where Camara had to run to the podium in order to get his trophy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:04 pm 

I used to watch GP2 all the time, but sadly this series is not on any of my television fees this year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:10 pm 

I saw the highlights. Back down to earth for Norris it seems after the amazing start in Bahrain. It will be interesting to see whether he can dominate the way many of us thought or whether he'll have a real battle on his hands.

Yes, the racing is better in GP2 or pretty much any series with less downforce than F1 (which is pretty much every series).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:54 pm 

Hamilton might be the only British driver in F1, but there are a lot of good ones in Formula 2 right now. Norris, Russell, even Aitken isn’t bad.

This reminds me of when Schumacher’s career came to an end, suddenly a bunch of young German drivers were popping up (Vettel, Hulkenberg, Sutil, Glock).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:20 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Hamilton might be the only British driver in F1, but there are a lot of good ones in Formula 2 right now. Norris, Russell, even Aitken isn’t bad.

This reminds me of when Schumacher’s career came to an end, suddenly a bunch of young German drivers were popping up (Vettel, Hulkenberg, Sutil, Glock).

Norris and Russell look good not so much Aitken who seems to be getting schooled by his teammate who just happens to be Russell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:21 pm 

Syholl wrote:
Is anybody else watching these guys. What a fantastic weekend of racing they have delivered....!!

If the F1 race is even half as exciting as the F2 we will be in for a cracker.

I did not get a chance to watch this weekend but watched the previous race and thought the racing was better than F1. At first i was just watching to pass time but found myself glued to the tv. Took me a few minutes to get used to the commentary, but thereafter even thought the commentary was better than Sky. So much more passion that gets you excited. Sky is commentary is bland and dull by comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:32 pm 

I'm surprised at just how slow the progress of Nyck De Vries has been. I remember him featuring on an episode of Tooned back in 2013. He hasn't flown through the junior categories like I thought he would. He's 23 and I expected him to be in F1 by now. This will be a make or break season for him.

pokerman wrote:
Norris and Russell look good not so much Aitken who seems to be getting schooled by his teammate who just happens to be Russell.

Aitken made a great comeback drive in Baku after stalling in the feature race, and then stalled again in the sprint race lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
I'm surprised at just how slow the progress of Nyck De Vries has been. I remember him featuring on an episode of Tooned back in 2013. He hasn't flown through the junior categories like I thought he would. He's 23 and I expected him to be in F1 by now. This will be a make or break season for him.

pokerman wrote:

Aitken made a great comeback drive in Baku after stalling in the feature race, and then stalled again in the sprint race lol.

The ART car was obviously very good in Baku but still it seemed more of a weapon in Russell's hands.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:33 pm 

Of course it will be more exciting. The cars are pretty much the same and it's the driver making the HUGE difference.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:01 pm 

Just caught up on both Baku races. Some class driving throughout the field but as others have pointed out the, the future of Brits in F1 looks safe with Russel and Norris. Been watching Norris career fir a while but Russel starting to look really solid. Definitely going to try and watch the season.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:52 am 

Where do they show F2 races? I think one of the biggest problems with feeder series is they are always shown on some obscure medium in just a few countries. When Sky came up with Sky F1 I thought, great, now they have a whole channel where they can show the support races on F1 weekends, and maybe other stuff like Indy. Instead we the same type of F1 coverage and the same interviews repeated ad nausea.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:01 pm 

Alex53 wrote:
Where do they show F2 races? I think one of the biggest problems with feeder series is they are always shown on some obscure medium in just a few countries. When Sky came up with Sky F1 I thought, great, now they have a whole channel where they can show the support races on F1 weekends, and maybe other stuff like Indy. Instead we the same type of F1 coverage and the same interviews repeated ad nausea.

I agree. Long ago, they used to show International Motorsport News where races from various feeder series used to be broadcast for 1 hour. This was on a channel called Star Sports here in India. I used to look forward to this 1 hour of car racing as seeing cars racing in different series & on different tracks was so much enthralling. My favourite was Caterham car races. Once they just ha broadcast 1 hour of accidents in the segment. I enjoyed that too & still remember it to this day. :o

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:00 am 

Alex53 wrote:

Not really sure what you're on about here. I can't speak for the coverage in other countries but Sky F1 show F2 practice, qualifying and both races all live (as well as repeating the races) as well as the GP3 qualifying and races live. I completely agree with the comment about a lack of new content the rest of the time - I'd love to see them pick up the rights to things like Indy and Formula E (although clashes with F1 races might be an issue with the latter) and add coverage of other feeder series like F3 - but their coverage of F2/GP3 is certainly an improvement on what Eurosport used to provide.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:45 am 

Another good race yesterday. Excellent stuff from George Russell and Lando Norris.
They both look to have the right stuff to make it in F1.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:07 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Alex53 wrote:

Not really sure what you're on about here. I can't speak for the coverage in other countries but Sky F1 show F2 practice, qualifying and both races all live (as well as repeating the races) as well as the GP3 qualifying and races live. I completely agree with the comment about a lack of new content the rest of the time - I'd love to see them pick up the rights to things like Indy and Formula E (although clashes with F1 races might be an issue with the latter) and add coverage of other feeder series like F3 - but their coverage of F2/GP3 is certainly an improvement on what Eurosport used to provide.

I miss SKY :-((

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:48 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Alex53 wrote:

Why, have they stopped it in your region?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:00 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Alex53 wrote:

Moved. Left the UK so can't watch SKY anymore. But now that I've experienced other offerings, have to say it's pretty much in a league of its own

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:10 pm 

Zoue wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Alex53 wrote:

Moved. Left the UK so can't watch SKY anymore. But now that I've experienced other offerings, have to say it's pretty much in a league of its own

Someone once told me there were other ways to watch Sky. Is that not possible where you are?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:09 am 

You can still get sky abroad, depends where you are though

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
Zoue wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Someone once told me there were other ways to watch Sky. Is that not possible where you are?

Not legally, no. AFAIAA SKY only have the rights to broadcast in the UK and because of the idiotic and antiquated digital broadcasting rights legislation you are not allowed to watch them anywhere else even if you have the technical means to do so.

We get Ziggo here. Which admittedly isn't too bad for race coverage, although if you don't speak the local language you're screwed. At least they don't ruin the races with adverts and the commentators are passionate about it. But they don't show any of the practice sessions or support races, or give anything like the grid walk or post race analysis to anywhere near the same degree

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:09 am 

I hadn't heard of Jack Aitken until yesterday

It should certainly boost UK interest if there are three British drivers fighting for the title. Although it's pretty good with just Norris and Russell

I see Alexander Albon drivers under the Thai flag. I guess claiming the entire podium is just greedy :D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 am 

Zoue wrote:
We get Ziggo here. Which admittedly isn't too bad for race coverage, although if you don't speak the local language you're screwed. At least they don't ruin the races with adverts and the commentators are passionate about it. But they don't show any of the practice sessions or support races, or give anything like the grid walk or post race analysis to anywhere near the same degree

I get Ziggo and I can watch all practise sessions, GP3 and F2 races... Are we talking about the same Ziggo?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 am 

Llotyhy wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I get Ziggo and I can watch all practise sessions, GP3 and F2 races... Are we talking about the same Ziggo?
Netherlands?

Ah, just had a thought. I one sports channel which shows the race. Is it possible the rest of the F1 weekend is shown on another? If so, seems a bit cheeky to ask for an extra subscription to watch that!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:41 pm 

The F2 was more fun to watch than the F1 this weekend by a large margin, in my opinion. The racecraft, reflexes and respect those guys show could teach a few F1 drivers a thing or two. I've always followed F2/GP2 to some degree but I won't be missing any races this year, there's so much unbelievable talent on show. Good on them!

Reluctant Red Bull Fan - they just keep hiring Aussies.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:15 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Netherlands?

Ah, just had a thought. I one sports channel which shows the race. Is it possible the rest of the F1 weekend is shown on another? If so, seems a bit cheeky to ask for an extra subscription to watch that!

Ah yes that's true, it's on the Ziggo Racing channel. Can you get that?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Netherlands?

Ah yes that's true, it's on the Ziggo Racing channel. Can you get that?

No, I just get the main Sports channel (14) with my subscription. Shows the race and post race shows, but none of the other parts of the weekend. I suppose I could pay extra but seems a bit of a strange marketing ploy to give away the main course for free and make you pay for the starter and dessert!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
I hadn't heard of Jack Aitken until yesterday

It should certainly boost UK interest if there are three British drivers fighting for the title. Although it's pretty good with just Norris and Russell

I see Alexander Albon drivers under the Thai flag. I guess claiming the entire podium is just greedy :D

Norris, Russell and Albon are the pick of the crop, Albon was teammates with Leclerc in GP3 and ran him close to the title, last season in F2 he was injured for a good part of the year.

Albon is more British than Thai I would be guessing there might be more benefit from running under the Thai Flag?

Regarding Aitken, teammates with Russell last year in GP3 and again this year, he tends to look second best to Russell.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:49 pm 

Russell looks more like some 1930's villain than a racing driver....

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:07 am 

To me, this F2 field doesn't feel particularly deep. Don't get me wrong: Norris is phenomenal and George Russell isn't too far behind, but outside of those two, Albon, Aitken and maybe Sette Camara are the only others I think would even get some consideration as potential F1 drivers (I'm talking about on talent alone). And even then I'd say Aitken strikes me as a poor man's Olli Rowland/Alex Lynn, destined for the WEC or FE. After that there are a lot of guys who I really struggle to see anything out of the ordinary in.

Covalent wrote:
Russell looks more like some 1930's villain than a racing driver....

I shouldn't have laughed at that... but I did :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:19 pm 

Markelov doesn't seem to be enjoying the car this year..