planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: F2 races..... Wow
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:
Markelov doesn't seem to be enjoying the car this year..

It's a perfect example of a guy having a successful season at this level purely because of his experience. P2 last year in the standings, then the car is replaced with a new one and now he's nowhere over one lap. Yet once the race begins he's able to use his vastly superior knowledge of the tyres to recover places, which to be fair he has done well. Had they not changed the car then I'm certain he would've been right there with Norris in the standings purely down to experience.

It's also a reminder that they desperately need to introduce a three-season maximum in F2 and F3. It doesn't benefit anyone to have Roberto Merhi back in F2, for example. At least the series finally seems to be rid of Cecotto Jr. and Canamasas...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:01 pm 

Looks like this season is shaping up to be Norris vs Russell

I have to say, Russell has been the quickest driver on balance this year. He had the best pace in Azerbaijan, Spain and now France. De Vries' stupidity on the restart in Baku is the reason why he is not leading the WDC.

Norris was great in Bahrain, but ever since then he's been inconsistent. To be fair though, he is still very young even for this series.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:05 am 

Well, Norris, Albon and Markelov hit technical troubles. Given the race format, Russell is gifted this wedkend (despite a strong performance).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:16 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Well, Norris, Albon and Markelov hit technical troubles. Given the race format, Russell is gifted this wedkend (despite a strong performance).

Yes and I've said before when saying the drivers have been inconsistent it's down to the new engine and clutch which are simply not up to standard, Albon in frustration said they are ruining the series.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 2nd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:51 am 

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 2111157248

This is just heartbreaking. Poor guy :/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am 

mds wrote:
https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1010838872111157248

Sounds like a petulant tantrum to me. Accusing the team of not wanting him to do well? Grow up. Perhaps he's just not as good as he thinks he is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am 

mds wrote:

the link doesn't appear to work for me. What does it say?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:04 pm 

j man wrote:
mds wrote:

Sounds like a petulant tantrum to me. Accusing the team of not wanting him to do well? Grow up. Perhaps he's just not as good as he thinks he is.

Yeah without knowing the back story this could be interpreted a couple of ways. He could be having a tanty or his cries of anguish could be valid.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 pm 

Zoue wrote:
mds wrote:

It's a Twitter link to team radio of Maini, in which he is almost crying, saying the team isn't helping him, then saying he doesn't want to race in F2 anymore.

Especially that last part, this is their life, to say you plainly don't want to be there anymore to me sounds like it goes way deeper than just a tantrum.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:59 pm 

mds wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mds wrote:

It's a Twitter link to team radio of Maini, in which he is almost crying, saying the team isn't helping him, then saying he doesn't want to race in F2 anymore.

Especially that last part, this is their life, to say you plainly don't want to be there anymore to me sounds like it goes way deeper than just a tantrum.

thanks. Does indeed sound like there's a backstory there

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:53 pm 

Terrible. This entire championship looks like it will be decided by the clutch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:43 pm 

Zoue wrote:
mds wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mds wrote:

Ok, apparently it wasn't directed towards his team but towards the series organisation. He is claiming the championship this year is being destroyed by issues with the car and the organization not helping him out with it, making him look like an amateur. And ultimately impacting his career.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:54 pm 

mds wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mds wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mds wrote:

Ok, apparently it wasn't directed towards his team but towards the series organisation. He is claiming the championship this year is being destroyed by issues with the car and the organization not helping him out with it, making him look like an amateur. And ultimately impacting his career.

I still don't understand. OK the clutch situation isn't ideal with multiple people stalling in each race but these are spec cars so surely it's the same for everyone? Again, maybe he's just not as good as he thinks he is and he can't handle being found out at this level.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:16 pm 

j man wrote:
I still don't understand. OK the clutch situation isn't ideal with multiple people stalling in each race but these are spec cars so surely it's the same for everyone? Again, maybe he's just not as good as he thinks he is and he can't handle being found out at this level.

But it's not the same for everyone is it?

Your car may fail 5 times where as someone else's doesn't fail at all. That's just pure luck. And when it comes to a spec series there's nowt the team can do about it.

I completely get his point. F2 costs an absolute fortune. If there not getting machinery fit for purpose then they're being ripped off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:15 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

Your car may fail 5 times where as someone else's doesn't fail at all. That's just pure luck. And when it comes to a spec series there's nowt the team can do about it.

I completely get his point. F2 costs an absolute fortune. If there not getting machinery fit for purpose then they're being ripped off.

I see your point but Maini has not shown any real pace all season, and to me he's just trying to heap the blame onto someone else and is struggling to accept that others are performing better. All the drivers have suffered with unreliability at some point this season but the fast drivers are still able to impress. The cars are not exactly killing Norris' or Russell's careers are they?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:28 pm 

j man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

I see your point but Maini has not shown any real pace all season, and to me he's just trying to heap the blame onto someone else and is struggling to accept that others are performing better. All the drivers have suffered with unreliability at some point this season but the fast drivers are still able to impress. The cars are not exactly killing Norris' or Russell's careers are they?

It's a bit different for someone who already has major manufacturer backing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:30 pm 

j man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

They can't all be the next megastar, but his reaction comes from deep down so I can very well imagine it's borne from deep frustration and the belief he could do better if the machinery allowed for it. I think he's had some good qualies, but then if you see it go to waste, don't see the organisation get on top of it, and mix that with the intense pressure of high-level racing... They don't say things like that to hide incompetence. That was very real imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:01 pm 

mds wrote:
j man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

They can't all be the next megastar, but his reaction comes from deep down so I can very well imagine it's borne from deep frustration and the belief he could do better if the machinery allowed for it. I think he's had some good qualies, but then if you see it go to waste, don't see the organisation get on top of it, and mix that with the intense pressure of high-level racing... They don't say things like that to hide incompetence. That was very real imo.

That is a fair point, personally I don't follow much motorsport outside of F1 so I tend not to think too much of the drivers who don't make it into F1 but still need to forge a career post-F2.

I don't doubt that it was a very real reaction, it's more that I felt it was borne out of a genuine belief that he is one of the best in the field but the car is not letting him show it: something that his lap times over the season do not support.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:19 pm 

mds wrote:

Yeah I've been trying to explain the situation with the engines and the clutches, it's making the racing a mockery and it's not the drivers that have been inconsistent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:20 pm 

j man wrote:
mds wrote:

He's not blaming the team but the people that make the engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:25 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Terrible. This entire championship looks like it will be decided by the clutch.

It's not just the clutch the engines have power drop outs during the race and then sometimes goes into a safe mode putting the driver out of the race.

Championship contenders Norris, Albon and Markelov had their race weekends ruined, although Norris and Albon managed a few points in the second race, Markelov's clutch went faulty again in the second race, whilst the same also happened for race 1 winner and contender Russell in race 2, it makes the racing a lottery.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:25 am 

And these problems are aggravated by the race format which punishes you double if it happens in the first race.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 am 

I can see both sides of the coin with Maini in that I understand his frustrations but to throw your toys out of the pram like that just stinks of being a whiny cry baby. I'm not sure how he can claim it was aimed at the manufacturers and not the team when he was saying it on the radio to the pit wall.

Something needs to be done about these clutches and the engine issues though, F2 weekends are becoming a farce. Hopefully at the end of the season potential F1 suitors look at the pace and racecraft of the drivers and not the Championship table.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
I can see both sides of the coin with Maini in that I understand his frustrations but to throw your toys out of the pram like that just stinks of being a whiny cry baby. I'm not sure how he can claim it was aimed at the manufacturers and not the team when he was saying it on the radio to the pit wall.

Something needs to be done about these clutches and the engine issues though, F2 weekends are becoming a farce. Hopefully at the end of the season potential F1 suitors look at the pace and racecraft of the drivers and not the Championship table.

It's clear it wasn't against his team, did you not see Albon sat in his car with his mechanics trying to coax his engine into life, he said on his radio that the engine suppliers were ruining the championship.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:20 pm 

Much earlier in the season, I said on here that if they couldn't get the issue sorted by Monaco, they should consider doing rolling starts until the problem is resolved. I stand by that comment. Aside from turning the starts into a complete lottery, every race that passes where a guy towards the front of the grid stalls and isn't collected by someone else is another race in which they've got away with a potential serious injury. Had someone from the last two rows plowed into the back of Norris on Saturday, for example, then the speed at which they would already have reached could very easily have created another Billy Monger-type accident. And that's discounting the potential for spectators potentially being injured by flying debris.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

It's clear it wasn't against his team, did you not see Albon sat in his car with his mechanics trying to coax his engine into life, he said on his radio that the engine suppliers were ruining the championship.

That's a separate incident and a fair enough comment from Albon.

I distinctly heard Maini saying, "you can't do this to me mate," which very much sounds like it was aimed at an individual, probably his race engineer or team principal. Also, "you guy's don't support me," also sounds very much like it was aimed at the team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:43 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

That's a separate incident and a fair enough comment from Albon.

I distinctly heard Maini saying, "you can't do this to me mate," which very much sounds like it was aimed at an individual, probably his race engineer or team principal. Also, "you guy's don't support me," also sounds very much like it was aimed at the team.

Maybe he means in protesting against the engines, they take his money and then say that's how the cookie crumbles?

It's clear that his main beef is with the engine supplier.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:13 pm 

https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/ ... s-1047413/

Goes a long way to justifying that rant, and there are other drivers quoted in there as having the same issue.

Edit: Norris and Russel piling in on the car too, it must really be bad for drivers to be so openly critical

https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/ ... s-1052210/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:39 pm 

Honestly it's totally unacceptable. Reliability should not be an issue in a spec series with the purview that F2 has (evaluating and preparing potential F1 drivers). The cars should, above all, be reliable. This is not about pushing the boundaries of car development. It's about having a good look at the best young drivers. To have a scenario in which the machinery and not the drivers dominate the championship is totally unacceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/maini-killing-our-careers-new-car-issues-1047413/

Goes a long way to justifying that rant, and there are other drivers quoted in there as having the same issue.

Edit: Norris and Russel piling in on the car too, it must really be bad for drivers to be so openly critical

Fair enough, I may have misjudged the situation a little.

I still feel Maini's reaction was over the top though. Yes there are problems with the cars and it is making the races into a bit of a clutch lottery but we are still able to tell who the more talented drivers are. It's not going to kill any careers off that weren't going to fizzle out anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:40 pm 

j man wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/maini-killing-our-careers-new-car-issues-1047413/

Fair enough, I may have misjudged the situation a little.

I still feel Maini's reaction was over the top though. Yes there are problems with the cars and it is making the races into a bit of a clutch lottery but we are still able to tell who the more talented drivers are. It's not going to kill any careers off that weren't going to fizzle out anyway.

From an F1 stand point probably. But there are many other forms of Motorsport and if you have constant issues it obviously reduces your chance to catch the eye. F2 is extremely expensive and some of these drivers will only be able to afford one go round.

It's difficult to know if it's an over reaction without knowing the lads exact situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Honestly it's totally unacceptable. Reliability should not be an issue in a spec series with the purview that F2 has (evaluating and preparing potential F1 drivers). The cars should, above all, be reliable. This is not about pushing the boundaries of car development. It's about having a good look at the best young drivers. To have a scenario in which the machinery and not the drivers dominate the championship is totally unacceptable.

Agreed 100%. The odd bit of unreliability is excusable - the cars are cars after all, and cars do go wrong - but to have it become such a constant and pronounced issue is just a joke.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:52 pm 

Well, apparently the organisation found Maini's engine to actually be faulty and gave him a new one. He then qualified fifth.

He might have had a point...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:07 pm 

mds wrote:
Well, apparently the organisation found Maini's engine to actually be faulty and gave him a new one. He then qualified fifth.

He might have had a point...

It seems it's taken a minor revolt from the drivers for the issues to be taken seriously.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:23 pm 

Russell takes pole position at Austria, Norris is alongside him on the front row.

Full qualifying results:

http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/Ne ... ualifying/

I can’t wait for a head to head battle between Russell and Norris tomorrow. They’ve avoided each other for most of the season thanks to the terrible clutch system.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Much earlier in the season, I said on here that if they couldn't get the issue sorted by Monaco, they should consider doing rolling starts until the problem is resolved. I stand by that comment. Aside from turning the starts into a complete lottery, every race that passes where a guy towards the front of the grid stalls and isn't collected by someone else is another race in which they've got away with a potential serious injury. Had someone from the last two rows plowed into the back of Norris on Saturday, for example, then the speed at which they would already have reached could very easily have created another Billy Monger-type accident. And that's discounting the potential for spectators potentially being injured by flying debris.

Well, it looks like they are finally taking these issues seriously as the starts in Austria and at Silverstone will be rolling starts behind the SC.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:31 am 

watched theAustria feature race last night. Wow indeed! Breathless from start to finish. If Norris is to win this, he's going to have to as smart as he is fast. Russel is certainly looking to be both. Markelov though!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:11 am 

Russell from P8 to P3 in just over three laps and now up to second. Awesome drive again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:15 am 

you are missing out..

I love F1 and always will if Liberty don't break it...BUT..

I've watched F1 for about 25 years home life has meant it's a struggle to follow any others series until recently. But this year I've made a real effort to watch F2 and MotoGP as consistently as I do F1 and they have been superb.

Seriously - if you follow F1 but have never dipped in to other series with any commitment, give them a go, you won't regret it.

MotoGP can be utterly terrifying and the combination of skill, aggression and bravery is unmatched by anything ( expect the TT maybe!) . Helps if you ride a bike but not essential.

F2 has been stunning this year - the cars look great and there's some real talent there but after a few races what you start to appreciate is that these guys are utterly commited. The ones in the main title race may be "playing the long game" on occasion but for the most part every race is taken as a chance to sell themselves to the F1 bosses and they don't pass it up.

So take a look - get to the know the contenders and enjoy expanding your motorsport horizons!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:51 am 

In principle, completely agree but...

Bike racers are, frankly, nutters! Racing at the speeds they do, as closely as they do, knowing that they can fall off and headbutt a barrier (like Morbidelli last weekend) at any second defies rationale, much respect!

However, don't forget that MotoGp bikes go round corners slower than a Formula Ford! Corner apex speeds in an F1 car are often double or more than of a MotoGp bike meaning riders have far more time to react and adjust to what's going on around them.

F2 at the moment, great as the racing is, is currently compromised by being a one make series with two classes of car, those that work as designed and those that don't.

F1 has become a formula dominated by the technology where the difference the driver can make is much more limited. It's no surprise that qualification grids and race results are often much like Noah's Ark with everything going 2 by 2.

The current impossibly complex hybrid engine, wing dominated aero formula is the root cause. The trouble is that the leading players in F1 don't care about the show, only about maintaining their dominance and their share of the financial pot.

Don't know how to fix it except possibly (and controversially) by banning manufacturer involvement.