planetf1.com

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:59 pm 

pokerman wrote:
The thing about Grosjean is that he never really seems to learn, every mistake it seems comes with an excuse, he's adamant that even if he hadn't lit up the rear tyres he would have ended up spinning the car into the middle of the pack contrary to expert opinion, also he leaves out the fog he left which made it twice as hard to avoid his errant car.

He's a very experienced F1 driver now also he is in his 30's, time for making numerous dumb mistakes has to be over and let's not forget that he's like Bambi on ice whenever it rains.

If Leclerc continues on with the impressive performances then I would take a punt on him to replace Grosjean this surely would come with the blessing of Ferrari, I know that Haas like to choose their own drivers especially after not being impressed with Ferrari lumbering them with Guttierrez, but Gutierrez in part was very much a pay driver whereas Leclerc is there clearly on talent, I think Haas wouldn't be too unhappy with having Leclerc on board?

RoGro also didn't find himself responsible for ruining race starts in 2012 until slapped with a ban. The guy's mind lives in a parallel universe. Or the best example? He's the only driver who can't work the brakes in the whole field. And it's been going on for years now. The guy still thinks somehow the brakes are to blame.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
I remember a driver that did just fine as a rookie against an Alonso at his peak. It's OK to be beat by Alonso, but Vandoorne is simply nowhere compared to Alonso. If he were close, it'd be acceptable. But that's not a case.

It's hard to judge. So much more is expected of rookies now but in reality they almost never outscore experienced team mate. Bottas is the only current driver to do it.

Kimi's rookie year was considered extremely good and enough to get him straight into a top seat. He was beaten by Heidfeld. Ocon had a pretty similar season against a similar driver and is written off as average.

As I mentioned in my previous post, KR showed flashes of brilliance. I remember when he joined and I knew he'd do great. Even though he lost to NH. You can always tell a driver is good, even if stats tell otherwise. Vandoorne is a literal waffle. Very uninspiring driver.

I agree he's been disappointing.

I expected him to do far better than he seemingly is - maybe it's just highlighting the lack of top ability in GP2 / F2 over the last few years - making the occasional above average racer seem better than they are?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:17 pm 

Fiki wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
No, just into the Armco... Kemmel, anyone?

He didn't push anyone into the Armco on the Kemmel straight.
Only because some drivers want to complete their races on track instead of in the hospital brain scanner.

Well not really. He never tried to run someone into the Armco.
I have to admit that's true. He's quite content to have them smash into the rear of his car.

At Baku he was really close to giving him the Armco as well... only a few laps earlier. If it didn't happen it was more a question of chance than of design.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
pokerman wrote:
The thing about Grosjean is that he never really seems to learn, every mistake it seems comes with an excuse, he's adamant that even if he hadn't lit up the rear tyres he would have ended up spinning the car into the middle of the pack contrary to expert opinion, also he leaves out the fog he left which made it twice as hard to avoid his errant car.

He's a very experienced F1 driver now also he is in his 30's, time for making numerous dumb mistakes has to be over and let's not forget that he's like Bambi on ice whenever it rains.

If Leclerc continues on with the impressive performances then I would take a punt on him to replace Grosjean this surely would come with the blessing of Ferrari, I know that Haas like to choose their own drivers especially after not being impressed with Ferrari lumbering them with Guttierrez, but Gutierrez in part was very much a pay driver whereas Leclerc is there clearly on talent, I think Haas wouldn't be too unhappy with having Leclerc on board?

RoGro also didn't find himself responsible for ruining race starts in 2012 until slapped with a ban. The guy's mind lives in a parallel universe. Or the best example? He's the only driver who can't work the brakes in the whole field. And it's been going on for years now. The guy still thinks somehow the brakes are to blame.

True that. One of those was especially significant as well. He cost Alonso an entire championship...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:01 am 

He has become the present day Maldonado!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 am 

-ZeroGravityToilet- wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
pokerman wrote:

True that. One of those was especially significant as well. He cost Alonso an entire championship...
That was certainly a blow to his ambitions. But taking himself out at Suzuka will have contributed to the lost championship as well.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm 

mmi16 wrote:
He has become the present day Maldonado!

No because Grosjean is not a dirty driver who takes revenge on rivals.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 9th

Win: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podium: 2nd Barcelona 2018 and Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015