planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:12 pm 

donr wrote:
Apparently Lewis Hamilton offered to redesign the layout & thinks drivers should have some input into track layout.
For a street circuit, I don't see a reason they can't have some direct input. Have a few days during one week where drivers and organizers can meet, go over ideas, maps, logistical concerns and then go drive some layouts. I don't know if they would end up with a better or worse product, but it would be fun to see what they come up with.

Liberty Media could video everything and turn it into one of their off season events they are talking about.

Don

Yeah, I read that too. Kudos to Lewis, it would be a great idea for the drivers to be involved somehow, be it to just offer an opinion or to actually help in the drawing board.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 pm 

I’ve seen a few more mentions of Miami today but I just cannot believe that proposed track they showed could ever get signed off. With the modern day concerns over safety, would they really have a high speed section on a long bridge over water? Given all the run offs they’ve forced on new circuits, this looks like a complete non starter to me. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 pm 

klevispin wrote:
I’ve seen a few more mentions of Miami today but I just cannot believe that proposed track they showed could ever get signed off. With the modern day concerns over safety, would they really have a high speed section on a long bridge over water? Given all the run offs they’ve forced on new circuits, this looks like a complete non starter to me. Or am I missing something?

I believe this would be what you're missing:

Source: http://picturesofmoney.org/holding-a-stack-of-money/

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:26 am 

klevispin wrote:

Why is having a high speed section over water an issue?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
klevispin wrote:

Yes I just don't see it. We have high speed sections next to water at Monaco, Singapore and Montreal I think?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
klevispin wrote:

Yes I just don't see it. We have high speed sections next to water at Monaco, Singapore and Montreal I think?

Well I was thinking more that we have high speed sections next to a pits section full of hundreds of people and grandstands full of thousands of people and no-one worries too much about that so why is a high speed section over a bay full of fish such a concern?

Maybe there's Great White Sharks in the water is there?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:42 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
klevispin wrote:

Well I was thinking more that we have high speed sections next to a pits section full of hundreds of people and grandstands full of thousands of people and no-one worries too much about that so why is a high speed section over a bay full of fish such a concern?

I believe the concern would be for the driver, not the fish. If a car falls into deep water there's a fair chance the driver isn't getting out alive, particularly with the halo.

That said, I assume there would be a temporary catch fence on the bridge, so non-issue.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:49 pm 

The problem with some city races is that they take place in the city by name, but not really in the city we recognise.

The recent Rome and New York FE races are a great example. Technically they are in those cities, but there was nothing recognisable to be seen as they are held out of the main part. The New York race could have been run in any industrial estate and still have looked as picturesque as it did!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:47 am 

Exediron wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
klevispin wrote:

I believe the concern would be for the driver, not the fish. If a car falls into deep water there's a fair chance the driver isn't getting out alive, particularly with the halo.

That said, I assume there would be a temporary catch fence on the bridge, so non-issue.

I never contemplated the idea there wouldn't be catch fence in place to be honest, hence my remark.

I'd be staggered if catch fencing wasn't installed over the bridge & would consider it an act of gross negligence & incompetence if it wasn't put in place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:46 pm 

F1 in miami seems to have some problems. a missed july 1 deadline, and word is, the dolphins owner is pulling out his money. other tracks can't be to happy f1 is supposedly waving the race fee

edit.....put off until at least 2020