planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6294
donr wrote:
Apparently Lewis Hamilton offered to redesign the layout & thinks drivers should have some input into track layout.
For a street circuit, I don't see a reason they can't have some direct input. Have a few days during one week where drivers and organizers can meet, go over ideas, maps, logistical concerns and then go drive some layouts. I don't know if they would end up with a better or worse product, but it would be fun to see what they come up with.

Liberty Media could video everything and turn it into one of their off season events they are talking about.

Don


Yeah, I read that too. Kudos to Lewis, it would be a great idea for the drivers to be involved somehow, be it to just offer an opinion or to actually help in the drawing board.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:49 pm
Posts: 10
I’ve seen a few more mentions of Miami today but I just cannot believe that proposed track they showed could ever get signed off. With the modern day concerns over safety, would they really have a high speed section on a long bridge over water? Given all the run offs they’ve forced on new circuits, this looks like a complete non starter to me. Or am I missing something?

_________________
Watching from the cheap seats.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5737
Location: Michigan, USA
klevispin wrote:
I’ve seen a few more mentions of Miami today but I just cannot believe that proposed track they showed could ever get signed off. With the modern day concerns over safety, would they really have a high speed section on a long bridge over water? Given all the run offs they’ve forced on new circuits, this looks like a complete non starter to me. Or am I missing something?

I believe this would be what you're missing:

Image
Source: http://picturesofmoney.org/holding-a-stack-of-money/

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1310
Location: Far side of Koozebane
klevispin wrote:
I’ve seen a few more mentions of Miami today but I just cannot believe that proposed track they showed could ever get signed off. With the modern day concerns over safety, would they really have a high speed section on a long bridge over water? Given all the run offs they’ve forced on new circuits, this looks like a complete non starter to me. Or am I missing something?


Why is having a high speed section over water an issue?

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14038
Jezza13 wrote:
klevispin wrote:
I’ve seen a few more mentions of Miami today but I just cannot believe that proposed track they showed could ever get signed off. With the modern day concerns over safety, would they really have a high speed section on a long bridge over water? Given all the run offs they’ve forced on new circuits, this looks like a complete non starter to me. Or am I missing something?


Why is having a high speed section over water an issue?


Yes I just don't see it. We have high speed sections next to water at Monaco, Singapore and Montreal I think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1310
Location: Far side of Koozebane
mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
klevispin wrote:
I’ve seen a few more mentions of Miami today but I just cannot believe that proposed track they showed could ever get signed off. With the modern day concerns over safety, would they really have a high speed section on a long bridge over water? Given all the run offs they’ve forced on new circuits, this looks like a complete non starter to me. Or am I missing something?


Why is having a high speed section over water an issue?


Yes I just don't see it. We have high speed sections next to water at Monaco, Singapore and Montreal I think?


Well I was thinking more that we have high speed sections next to a pits section full of hundreds of people and grandstands full of thousands of people and no-one worries too much about that so why is a high speed section over a bay full of fish such a concern?

Maybe there's Great White Sharks in the water is there?

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5737
Location: Michigan, USA
Jezza13 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
klevispin wrote:
I’ve seen a few more mentions of Miami today but I just cannot believe that proposed track they showed could ever get signed off. With the modern day concerns over safety, would they really have a high speed section on a long bridge over water? Given all the run offs they’ve forced on new circuits, this looks like a complete non starter to me. Or am I missing something?


Why is having a high speed section over water an issue?


Yes I just don't see it. We have high speed sections next to water at Monaco, Singapore and Montreal I think?

Well I was thinking more that we have high speed sections next to a pits section full of hundreds of people and grandstands full of thousands of people and no-one worries too much about that so why is a high speed section over a bay full of fish such a concern?

Maybe there's Great White Sharks in the water is there?

I believe the concern would be for the driver, not the fish. If a car falls into deep water there's a fair chance the driver isn't getting out alive, particularly with the halo.

That said, I assume there would be a temporary catch fence on the bridge, so non-issue.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 3650
The problem with some city races is that they take place in the city by name, but not really in the city we recognise.

The recent Rome and New York FE races are a great example. Technically they are in those cities, but there was nothing recognisable to be seen as they are held out of the main part. The New York race could have been run in any industrial estate and still have looked as picturesque as it did!

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1310
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Exediron wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
klevispin wrote:
I’ve seen a few more mentions of Miami today but I just cannot believe that proposed track they showed could ever get signed off. With the modern day concerns over safety, would they really have a high speed section on a long bridge over water? Given all the run offs they’ve forced on new circuits, this looks like a complete non starter to me. Or am I missing something?


Why is having a high speed section over water an issue?


Yes I just don't see it. We have high speed sections next to water at Monaco, Singapore and Montreal I think?

Well I was thinking more that we have high speed sections next to a pits section full of hundreds of people and grandstands full of thousands of people and no-one worries too much about that so why is a high speed section over a bay full of fish such a concern?

Maybe there's Great White Sharks in the water is there?

I believe the concern would be for the driver, not the fish. If a car falls into deep water there's a fair chance the driver isn't getting out alive, particularly with the halo.

That said, I assume there would be a temporary catch fence on the bridge, so non-issue.


I never contemplated the idea there wouldn't be catch fence in place to be honest, hence my remark.

I'd be staggered if catch fencing wasn't installed over the bridge & would consider it an act of gross negligence & incompetence if it wasn't put in place.

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 headed to Miami?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:17 pm
Posts: 549
Location: illinois
F1 in miami seems to have some problems. a missed july 1 deadline, and word is, the dolphins owner is pulling out his money. other tracks can't be to happy f1 is supposedly waving the race fee


edit.....put off until at least 2020


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Zoue and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group