planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:45 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
What was that msg to Alonso all about,lol? Sounded like code or something.

Something about toys...

Yeah and don't use the toggle in (turn) five I think. Something else I didn't catch.

Bit weird. I wonder if they've worked out what Ferrari were doing with that toggle and have brought their own?

:?:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:47 pm 

McLaren may have surpassed Haas at this stage and are now best of the rest outside the big 3

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:48 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Stof is quicker than Alonso, unusually. We know he had the new floor but wonder if Alonso hasn't as yet?

Alonso did his on mediums.

They're running different set ups and parts according to the McLaren app (I don't have it, read it elsewhere)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:48 pm 

RIC's next run on the SS will be interesting. So far Max is slower on the supposedly faster compound. Then again, quite a few haven't improved their time on the stickier tyres

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:49 pm 

purchville wrote:
RIC's next run on the SS will be interesting. So far Max is slower on the supposedly faster compound. Then again, quite a few haven't improved their time on the stickier tyres

Same with Hamilton and Bottas. The SS is not the tire to be on apparently.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:51 pm 

wolfticket wrote:
Looks like everyone might be struggling with tire temps again.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 pm 

If the SS are proving to be very tricky, that's bad news for Ferrari, who brought many more than their rivals. Vettel and Raikkonen only have two sets of the Mediums each...

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:08 pm 

Kimi with a PU issue, apparently

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:12 pm 

All the McLaren quali sims on the SS were ruined by traffic which is annoying but we should get some lomg run data at least.

Won't tell us if they've solved their one lap issue though. Hopefully FP3 tells us that.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:14 pm 

Gotta say the gravel seems to be working very well here. Perhaps Spain could export it to other circuits

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:38 pm 

well looks like another performance swing, if today's sessions are anything to go by. Mercedes quickest, but Red Bull look very strong on long run pace. Ferrari look to be in trouble.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:08 pm 

Zoue wrote:
well looks like another performance swing, if today's sessions are anything to go by. Mercedes quickest, but Red Bull look very strong on long run pace. Ferrari look to be in trouble.

Paul Di Resta said Mercedes are the team in trouble on Sunday even if they lock out the front row. I'm sure he even said Vettel looks good.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:14 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Paul Di Resta said Mercedes are the team in trouble on Sunday even if they lock out the front row. I'm sure he even said Vettel looks good.

well he'll certainly know more than me on that score! Autosport said Merc looked to have the best race pace on the Mediums. Mind you, everything can change tomorrow..

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:19 pm 

Zoue wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

well he'll certainly know more than me on that score! Autosport said Merc looked to have the best race pace on the Mediums. Mind you, everything can change tomorrow..

I'm sure he was walking about RB doing a 1 stopper but I thought they will all do that anyway. Did Mercedes even improve on their SS run?

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 pm 

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:22 pm 

Good to see the top 6 so close. If it rains either during qualy or the race, it will be really intriguing on who can rise to the occasion & win.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:27 pm 

Vettel unhappy with the new Pirelli tyres.

"Obviously we have different tyres because Pirelli reacted to the issues Mercedes had and Red Bull had in testing, so we’ll see how that goes”.

Mercedes have Pirelli in their back pocket.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:32 pm 
Go Lewis!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:05 pm 

Vettel has never taken pole around Barcelona, but he's qualified 2nd four times (and on every occasion he was less than 0.200s behind pole), so there's something.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:12 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Go Lewis!!!

That's a shocker!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:16 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Go Lewis!!!
What's brought about this change of heart?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:22 pm 
:]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:27 pm 

KingVoid wrote:

"Obviously we have different tyres because Pirelli reacted to the issues Mercedes had and Red Bull had in testing, so we’ll see how that goes”.

Well, from Ferrari's point of view it could look like this. Their main two competitors struggled with the tyres and now Pirelli has change them.

It seems to be far from the truth though, Pirelli mentioned the reasons they did it and it only applies to three tracks this year. The ones that have been re-surfaced, so they need less thread, making the tyres lighter.

For everyone. So everyone should have the same advantage I guess.

So Vettel sounds like having a serious case of sour grapes

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:35 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Well, from Ferrari's point of view it could look like this. Their main two competitors struggled with the tyres and now Pirelli has change them.

It seems to be far from the truth though, Pirelli mentioned the reasons they did it and it only applies to three tracks this year. The ones that have been re-surfaced, so they need less thread, making the tyres lighter.

it's fair enough if he complained at the time the tyres were announced, but if he's just doing it now then yeah it sounds like sour grapes. Tends to suggest that Ferrari don't have too much up their sleeve, too, as otherwise he wouldn't likely be bothered about it

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:50 pm 

Race pace stats for the top drivers:

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:00 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

The pattern of Friday seems to be - Ferrari - massively sand bag over 1 lap pace, sand bag a bit on race pace. Mercedes - sand bag race pace

Red Bull always seems to look very good in race pace on friday and have an advantage that just doesn't appear on Sunday. Ferrari always appear to struggle for 1 lap pace and then on saturday get pole. This weekend might not fit that, but Red Bull as always very competitive on Friday and once the engines get turned up or the sand thrown out - they fall back.

A Ferrari or a Mercedes on pole with front row lock out and by 0.3-0.4 back to the other would not surprise me.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:15 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

it's fair enough if he complained at the time the tyres were announced, but if he's just doing it now then yeah it sounds like sour grapes. Tends to suggest that Ferrari don't have too much up their sleeve, too, as otherwise he wouldn't likely be bothered about it

I can see his grievance though, especially if the Ferrari was fine on its tyres during the winter test there. We shall see tomorrow and Sunday if it really did affect them.

But it does seem the track is a completely different beast to last year now it has been resurfaced, pole is looking to be up to 3.5 seconds quicker (we are already 2 seconds up). The other tracks we have had thus far have seen pole 1.0, 0.1,0.6 quicker. Baku was different climate so I did not include.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:37 pm 

Kubica was shocked & embarrassed driving the Williams. The car was the slowest on the grid & even the Sauber's have pounced ahead of the Williams quite comfortably.
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/11365052/robert-kubica-felt-embarrassed-driving-williams-as-pole-makes-race-weekend-return-at-spanish-gp

Good that Kubica is not driving a Tortoise of a car as a full fledged driver. He would've already gotten frustrated considering it would've been his comeback.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:04 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

What was his explanation for it? Bad long run pace?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:20 pm 

However Vettel, who yesterday claimed the change came about in response to Mercedes and Red Bull’s problems with the tyres in testing, said he didn’t notice any improvement in how the tyres performed.
“I think the biggest change to be honest came from the tyres,” he said. “They seemed to be quite a bit different. I don’t think they are better than they were.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/11/new ... re-vettel/

Mercedes have Pirelli in their back pocket. They change tyre pressures and structure to suit Mercedes, and of course the secret tyre test back in 2013.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:58 pm 

So didn't realise that Hamilton, Raikkonen and Alonso have all won here the same amount of times - twice. And Kimi holds the lap record - back in 2006! Vettel only has a single win here, which does surprise me

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 pm 

Kubica was the fastest williams driver on Friday. That in itself should be embarrassing for Williams. He was the slower driver in testing, after all.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:34 pm 
simonr23 wrote:
Kubica was the fastest williams driver on Friday. That in itself should be embarrassing for Williams. He was the slower driver in testing, after all.

And he was the one running the new parts...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:04 am 

Could Kimi be favourite for this race if he puts in a new engine?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:13 am 

Johnson wrote:
Could Kimi be favourite for this race if he puts in a new engine?

He can only be a favourite if Vettel retires!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:11 am 

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't last year the schedule for FP3 & Qualifying (at local time):

11:00 – 12:00: FP3
14:00 – 15:00: Qualifying

But when I checked with the timetable on PF1 just now, I noticed:

12:00 – 13:00: FP3
15:00 – 16:00: Qualifying

is it right/correct? is there any particular reason why the schedules are pushed 1 one later?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:40 am 

Kimi's getting a new engine:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/11/ferrari-confirms-engine-change-for-raikkonen/

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:48 am 

Kimi missed lot of time in FP2 but the tyres are lasting quite a lot. Hardly any gains over supersoft. So it could be a boring 1 stop and qualifying will be very important unless the tyres are really bad overtaking here is very difficult. I am not sure Ferrari are looking strong like previous races. Lot of teams were struggling with wind, track. So today we will get clear picture. I think Mclaren can make into Q3 this time and Williams seems to be slowest team.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:16 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Kimi missed lot of time in FP2 but the tyres are lasting quite a lot. Hardly any gains over supersoft. So it could be a boring 1 stop and qualifying will be very important unless the tyres are really bad overtaking here is very difficult. I am not sure Ferrari are looking strong like previous races. Lot of teams were struggling with wind, track. So today we will get clear picture. I think Mclaren can make into Q3 this time and Williams seems to be slowest team.

It's expected to rain after qualy which means all the rubber laid down on the track will get washed off & make the track green for Sunday. I wouldn't mind rain tomorrow during race otherwise this will be a processional race on a boring track.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:26 am 

Yes it is not going to be like Baku and usually a boring race here I hope it is at least 2 stop race.