planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:17 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Interesting stuff

Kimi Raikkonen might have been retained for another year by Ferrari but that hasn’t stopped the Scuderia being subject to some very interesting gossip.

According to The Times, Raikkonen was only retained after Vettel ‘vetoed’ the team’s attempt to sack The Finn.

‘Insiders say his voice is now the most powerful in the team, in an echo of Michael Schumacher’s era at the Scuderia,’ reports Kevin Eason. ‘Like Schumacher, Vettel reserves the right to approve his team-mates — and he did not want Raikkonen to be ousted from the team at the end of the year. One source close to Maurizio Arrivabene, the Ferrari team principal, told The Times: “Yes, it is a shame none of the youngsters are getting a chance but we know why, don’t we? Sebastian is the reason why."

http://www.skysports.com/f1/grandprix/g ... ve-blog?72
(at 09:28)

Vettel not wanting a Ricciardo part 2 scenario perhaps?

I've heard rumours about this before and if true I find this to be very disappointing.

I too would find it disappointing. But I also find it quite hard to believe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:06 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Interesting stuff

Kimi Raikkonen might have been retained for another year by Ferrari but that hasn’t stopped the Scuderia being subject to some very interesting gossip.

According to The Times, Raikkonen was only retained after Vettel ‘vetoed’ the team’s attempt to sack The Finn.

‘Insiders say his voice is now the most powerful in the team, in an echo of Michael Schumacher’s era at the Scuderia,’ reports Kevin Eason. ‘Like Schumacher, Vettel reserves the right to approve his team-mates — and he did not want Raikkonen to be ousted from the team at the end of the year. One source close to Maurizio Arrivabene, the Ferrari team principal, told The Times: “Yes, it is a shame none of the youngsters are getting a chance but we know why, don’t we? Sebastian is the reason why."

I can beleive that it is benefiting Vettel's position in the team, but the bold section stinks like Nazi propaganda, sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:29 am 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Interesting stuff

I've heard rumours about this before and if true I find this to be very disappointing.

Well there seems to be quite a lot of smoke surrounding this.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 22nd

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:19 am 

mcdo wrote:
Interesting stuff

Even though he might have had a hand in the decision, I take all of this with a pinch of salt. Sky Sports have tried to stir up some controversy a while ago, by asking who's the boss at Ferrari.. Vettel or Arrivabene? That came out of the blue and without any proof that Vettel was overpowered over there. I think this is just a continuation to further support and build up their theory, while no other source have even suggested it as an idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:41 am 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Interesting stuff

Well there seems to be quite a lot of smoke surrounding this.

"A source close to Maurizio Arrivabene..." Oh, well, must be true then :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:46 pm 

I can believe that Vettel pushed hard to keep Kimi at Ferrari. Clearly, the source that is close to Arrivabene believes that Vettel has a big say in things and wasn't interested in a new dynamic at Ferrari. How true it is, it's hard to say. I don't believe Vettel wants any part of an intra-team battle which he believes could damage his superiority BUT I do think he might actually say yes to Lewis Hamilton in time, as he probably sees him as an equal and there'd be no shame in being edged out by Hamilton... and if he beats the 3+ times WDC then all the better.

Oh and BTW, I'm quietly confident that Kimi could be very strong next year and really give Vettel something to think about, given what I know and have heard so far about new regulations and the future performance of the tyres and such.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:26 am 

An excellent race by Kimi today, for a change. Comfortably the fastest man on the track once he pitted and made a few decent overtakes at the beginning, too, including one very good one on Alonso. Strong defending against Verstappen and but for a questionable (IMO) move by the latter would likely have passed him, too. My DotD and if it's true that Ferrari held their hands up to his qualifying exit then contender for DotW, since up to that point he was looking pretty quick, too.

I'm sure the heat had something to do with it as he didn't have to worry about warming up the tyres, a bugbear of his. Wish all the races were this hot!

Looked feisty and menacing, which was nice to see. IMO shows just how much the tyres hold him back (or how much he can't adapt to them, whichever is your viewpoint!). If not for the qualy snafu a possible podium was on the cards. Looked quicker than Vettel, for a change

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:47 am 

There's little reason to have another quicker teammate. Whether it's Ham, Ric, Vers, no one can win the WDC in a car that isn't the fastest. So I see Vettel's point. Stick with a teammate who's competitive and gets along. When Ferrari has the fastest car, Kimi is definitely more than able to get 2nd position, like Barrichello in the old days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:28 am 

Ratings given to Kimi for his Hungary GP:

AMuS: 9
Autosport: 7
Sky Sports: 8
Gazzetta: 8.5

I think he was definitely quick, helped by the fact that he had an abundance of fresh SS tyres, but he did have a very good first stint that allowed for his race to be as good as it was. Overtaking Verstappen was not an easy task, he got so close because of the difference in tyres, but yeah, Verstappen defended robustly and I think changed directions twice in one defending move. Should have been looked at atleast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:42 am 

Zoue wrote:
An excellent race by Kimi today, for a change. Comfortably the fastest man on the track once he pitted and made a few decent overtakes at the beginning, too, including one very good one on Alonso. Strong defending against Verstappen and but for a questionable (IMO) move by the latter would likely have passed him, too. My DotD and if it's true that Ferrari held their hands up to his qualifying exit then contender for DotW, since up to that point he was looking pretty quick, too.

I'm sure the heat had something to do with it as he didn't have to worry about warming up the tyres, a bugbear of his. Wish all the races were this hot!

Looked feisty and menacing, which was nice to see. IMO shows just how much the tyres hold him back (or how much he can't adapt to them, whichever is your viewpoint!). If not for the qualy snafu a possible podium was on the cards. Looked quicker than Vettel, for a change

Regarding quali I remember thinking at the time before he started his final lap that the team had screwed him. He was first to start his final lap, it was a good lap and fastest at the time but in those conditions you should be the last to start the lap. As I expected everyone was faster as a consequence. The team did indeed take the blame.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:53 pm 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... n--ferrari

Ferrari are happy at any rate!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:41 pm 

Great to have some good things said about Kimi for a change

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:24 pm 

Would it be fair to say that Kimi can extract what there is to extract from the Pirellis in hot conditions and as soft tyres as possible? He was flying on those supersofts!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:36 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Would it be fair to say that Kimi can extract what there is to extract from the Pirellis in hot conditions and as soft tyres as possible? He was flying on those supersofts!

It would certainly seem to suggest that Kimi's problem is mostly with getting the tyres to work, not that he somehow became a fairy cakes driver. Which gives hope for 2017 if you're a Kimi supporter! :thumbup: 8)

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:44 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Covalent wrote:

It would certainly seem to suggest that Kimi's problem is mostly with getting the tyres to work, not that he somehow became a fairy cakes driver. Which gives hope for 2017 if you're a Kimi supporter! :thumbup: 8)

:thumbup: It would certainly be super to see the 'old' Kimi back even if it's just for one last season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:47 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Can't help but feel a little bit smug that this is what I've been saying for years. :smug:

Now he just needs every race to be held in white hot conditions and he'll be fine...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:57 pm 

Ferrari to have the best car in 2017, Kimi to win the Championship.

Imagine if it happened. Imagine how hilariously brilliant that would be in the context of his later career and who his team-mate is. (LOL!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:39 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Can't help but feel a little bit smug that this is what I've been saying for years. :smug:

Now he just needs every race to be held in white hot conditions and he'll be fine...
:thumbup:. Without knowing much about weather in the Hockenheim area the forecast looks promising for this weekend, every day over 25 degrees.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:22 am 

A strong contender for overtake of the year

Delightful :o

FA#14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:27 am 

Wonderful skills. Vettel had better watch out because Kimi might have had less worse fortune so far this year but now he's starting to feel himself a little. Good form. Good news for Ferrari.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:45 am 

I think Kimi drove very well last weekend but Allison's departure is probably not welcome news for him. He tends to go well in Allison-designed cars so a new designer may not play to his strengths as much. Raises a few questions for him for 2017 IMO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:59 pm 

Zoue wrote:
I think Kimi drove very well last weekend but Allison's departure is probably not welcome news for him. He tends to go well in Allison-designed cars so a new designer may not play to his strengths as much. Raises a few questions for him for 2017 IMO

Indeed, too bad the stars might not be aligned next year either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:13 pm 

Great drive in Hungary by Kimi: his many fatsest race laps over the years have areason, as Zoue says due to Kimi 's tyre heating issue.
I don't blame Vettel for not wanting another number one/strong driver as team-mate. MSC, Mansell after 1990, Prost (after 1989) and many others prefer someone with whom they get along, faster with. :)
Prost, Senna, Fangio (at least until 1955) were exceptional.
Can't see Vettel ever accepting Hamilton as team-mate.
Kimi is ideal, easy going, apolitical and fast enough to score points for the team, must be a big help in car development. Very similar to Button as really good competitive enough veterans. Similar styles?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:14 pm 

Considering it's Sunday evening and with the forum and thread both asleep, let us discuss Kimi's second tenure at Ferrari.

On this day in 2013, Ferrari announced Kimi for a second spell in their team starting with the 2014 season. Three years later, do you consider it as a good move or a bad one?

For me, right move all the way. Lotus were not able to sustain their position as race-win challengers in 2014 and further. However, he did suffer a knock on his reputation, which was nicely further polished in his two years at Lotus. His performances against Alonso and Vettel in 2014 and 2015 did not detract his critics from claiming that he was past it, while he continued, nonchalantly, to dismiss all such suggestions and insisting that the car was to blame. Even though Kimi has improved this year, he still has a lot to do before he can rectify his status as one of F1's top drivers of his generation. Yet, this does not change the fact that it would have gone much worse had he stayed at Lotus in 2014, knowing that a RBR move was not possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:22 pm 

bassel7 wrote:
Considering it's Sunday evening and with the forum and thread both asleep, let us discuss Kimi's second tenure at Ferrari.

On this day in 2013, Ferrari announced Kimi for a second spell in their team starting with the 2014 season. Three years later, do you consider it as a good move or a bad one?

For me, right move all the way. Lotus were not able to sustain their position as race-win challengers in 2014 and further. However, he did suffer a knock on his reputation, which was nicely further polished in his two years at Lotus. His performances against Alonso and Vettel in 2014 and 2015 did not detract his critics from claiming that he was past it, while he continued, nonchalantly, to dismiss all such suggestions and insisting that the car was to blame. Even though Kimi has improved this year, he still has a lot to do before he can rectify his status as one of F1's top drivers of his generation. Yet, this does not change the fact that it would have gone much worse had he stayed at Lotus in 2014, knowing that a RBR move was not possible.

Well, it's undoubtedly a right move because it's a top team, not to mention it's Works. I don't think anyone was saying staying at Lotus would have been better.

But it has highlighted more than ever how sensitive Kimi is to the car. There's no denying he was rubbish in 2014. 2015 was better, but he was still clearly trailing Vettel, while in 2016 he has had a couple of races where he has actually looked competitive against, if not quicker than, Seb (e.g. Spa). Such a huge swing in performance can't be good for a top flight driver and the team must be praying the car is to his liking for next year. I think the tyres being less thermally sensitive next year is a good thing for Kimi, as that's his biggest Achilles Heel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:34 pm 

https://youtu.be/dsgEwOZ33YI

True fans will watch the whole thing ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:16 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Fancy some beats with that?

FA#14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:50 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

:lol: brilliant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:57 pm 

why does he keep messing up his final run in Q3? He should have outqualified Vettel today and in Monza.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:04 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:
why does he keep messing up his final run in Q3? He should have outqualified Vettel today and in Monza.

I wouldn't disagree with you that Kimi has a tendency to screw up his final qualifying runs, but to be fair there wasn't a lot between them today and Vettel didn't exactly school him. But yes, Kimi's tombstone will probably read "I made a mistake..."

Kimi looked marginally quicker all weekend and in qualifying the two Ferrari drivers looked the closest of all the team mates. Q1 Kimi ahead by 1/1000th, Q2 Kimi ahead by 7/100ths and Q3 Seb ahead by 5/100ths. Less than the blink of an eye between them both.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:49 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:

Vettel is one of the best in qualifying. Kimi is doing good but I agree, he should have been ahead of him. Tomorrow he needs a good start to have a chance for podium.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:52 am 

Kimi is doing well, as a long term critic since 2014 it is nice to see him doing well against Vettel. 2014 and 2015 truly were awful seasons for Kimi and I didn't think he deserved a seat in a Ferrari. He appears to be capturing the 2012/13 form and enjoying watching him this year.

Who would have thought, Kimi and Nico ahead of there team mates at this stage of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:08 am 

lamo wrote:
Kimi is doing well, as a long term critic since 2014 it is nice to see him doing well against Vettel. 2014 and 2015 truly were awful seasons for Kimi and I didn't think he deserved a seat in a Ferrari. He appears to be capturing the 2012/13 form and enjoying watching him this year.

Who would have thought, Kimi and Nico ahead of there team mates at this stage of the year.

Kimi was never the same after leaving Mclaren IMO.

Yes, he's still one of the few that show good racecraft on the grid - but apart from that he's an 'on his day' driver since leaving Mclaren.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:27 am 

LKS1 wrote:
lamo wrote:

Kimi was never the same after leaving Mclaren IMO.

Yes, he's still one of the few that show good racecraft on the grid - but apart from that he's an 'on his day' driver since leaving Mclaren.
I believe it is the other way round; he never got a car again that suited his specific needs. The personnel situation at Ferrari may well be a decisive factor for next year. But losing Allison must have hurt his prospects.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:23 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Completely hilarious. I'm glad someone took the time to make these. :lol: They are so good because they are Kimi. No one else would be as funny.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:24 pm 

lamo wrote:

I totally believe it's down to Ferrari's pushrod/pullrod change. There can be no other explanation in my mind

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:23 pm 

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17736225/kimi-raikkonen-ferrari-find-lot-lap

Kimi saying that he was suffering from severe understeer and there is a lot more to come from the Ferrari if they can eliminate that. Quite encouraging considering how close he was to the Mercs despite not finding the right balance with the car

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:47 am 

A good clean start and there is chance for the podium for Kimi tomorrow. Surprising they are close here which is a technical track, may be it is the track temperature. It will be close with RBR and Mercedes are not far off I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:59 am 

Feel sorry for Kimi today. He had great pace and I've no doubt he'd have been challenging for 2nd today if he'd not had his grid penalty. Guy can't catch a break

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:21 am 

Very convienient penalty to drop him behind the no1 driver on 50mil a year. ;)

I think he possibly could have put more pressure on rosberg then mv did.